• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo recommends opening Wii U and perform system update before gifting to others

AW PSH, THE VERGE. ANTI-NINTENDO RAG SHIT.

That's unreasonable. Nintendo would have had to have finished working on the OS before even the first units started rolling off the assembly line (sometime back in Summer, I presume).

How is that unreasonable? Wasn't Nintendo praised heavily before for not prescribing to the "launch shitty, patch later" mentality?

Kayo-kun

Thats what I was thinking. Its good advice if you want to makes sure you recipient can game right away Xmas morning. This forum has been foaming at the mouth for any reason to hate on teh Wiiu since launch. Makes no sense really, its a great little device. I think most of them should take teh time to actually play with a WiiU before hating it so blindly.

Its so funny how everyone acts like the Xbox360/PS3 launched with all the features and services they have in place now. I shouldn't have to remind you, but there was no game invites on PS3 for the first year and a half. Trophies came equally late. Netflix/Hulu came to Xbox years after launch. And both had you download OS updates just about anytime you bought one. Helli my Xbox Slim i got 3 months ago did not come with the latest OS updates. The Wii U has been out for 1 month... give it a break.

Why should people give teh Wii U a break and not criticize it for it's faults? Sure PS3 and 360 had it's faults in the launch, but that was over 6 years ago and Nintendo should had known better and learned from their mistakes. It feels to me like Nintendo is one generation behind with everything from system specs to internet modes and options, so I guess comparing it to PS3/360 is fine in the end.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Good advice. I don't get all the outrage over the update beyond the length but you can update in the back can you not?

Major updates are pretty much typical affair with most technology these days. My S3 from last week had to be updated when I got it too and took about as long as the Wii U update did. *shrug*. I'm expecting similar day 1 updates when the new Xbox and PlayStation are out too.

Bgamer90

Banned
Its so funny how everyone acts like the Xbox360/PS3 launched with all the features and services they have in place now. I shouldn't have to remind you, but there was no game invites on PS3 for the first year and a half. Trophies came equally late. Netflix/Hulu came to Xbox years after launch. And both had you download OS updates just about anytime you bought one. Helli my Xbox Slim i got 3 months ago did not come with the latest OS updates. The Wii U has been out for 1 month... give it a break.

I will never understand why people bring up systems from 2005/2006 to defend a system that came out in 2012 as if expectations haven't changed.

Anyway, it is pretty funny (at least to me) that Nintendo is admitting to the slow load times in this "seasonal" fashion.

hirokazu

They're just trying to protect themselves from all the potential returns of bricked systems when kids pull the power on the slow download. And it will probably be slow if all the gifted Wii Us are downloading the system update on Christmas day.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
AW PSH, THE VERGE. ANTI-NINTENDO RAG SHIT.

How is that unreasonable? Wasn't Nintendo praised heavily before for not prescribing to the "launch shitty, patch later" mentality?

But that's for games patches, which don't have to cease development until as close as a month before the ship date (I believe). AFAIK, every Nintendo game to date has been perfectly playable on day one without a patch/update.

Stewox

Banned
still it's a good advice, i failed to thought of it, personally i never hated updates, its the mainstream who is easily panicked and makes a big deal on something so trivial to me, leave it through the night problem solved, i can speculate most of the update whiners are western which is not surprising, the pay4gb, unreliable net infrastructure, fast-paced way of life, among other factors

Here's my protip Nintendo! How about YOU get your manufacturers to have the Wii U already updated to the latest firmware before they get shipped out!

The problem is they still have to shift 3 million of already produced consoles. When will you people get it. Ahh

Fredrik

I will never understand why people bring up systems from 2005/2006 to defend a system that came out in 2012 as if expectations haven't changed.

Anyway, it is pretty funny (at least to me) that Nintendo is admitting to the slow load times in this "seasonal" fashion.
I'm pretty sure it's the same thing with Xbox 360 slim, PS3 slim, PSVita, 3DS among other newer electronic devices. And what's their option really? Sending back every unit to the manufacturer to update every time there is a new system update and then send it to the stores again?

Madouu

Some other informed quotes from that same article

If you buy a Wii U, be sure to carefully update it to avoid bricking the console

How about "avoid shutting down your console during the update" rather than some vague wording that makes it sound like there's a mysterious way to brick your console.

perhaps you should warn them that they should set aside some time to download the 5GB update

The 5GB myth lives on.

Anyway, I guess it's just people here not used to updates or with some kind of agenda. The real issue isn't that you have to update your console day 1. Giving this kind of advice is actually pretty cool from Nintendo, a lot of people don't think about this.

The issue is the slow download speeds, that's what needs improvements and that's what people should be bringing up.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Unfortunately for the ones getting a Wii U deluxe console, they will know. Impossible to remove all traces of fingerprint evidence.

Eric C

Good advice. I don't get all the outrage over the update beyond the length but you can update in the back can you not?

It can download the update while you're playing NintendoLand or something, on launch many people including myself didn't realize this.

But after the update is downloaded the install still takes a bit of time though, and you have to sit through that, I think.

Madouu

Unfortunately for the ones getting a Wii U deluxe console, they will know. Impossible to remove all traces of fingerprint evidence.

Superior basic model confirmed.

It can download the update while you're playing NintendoLand or something, on launch many people including myself didn't realize this.

But after the update is downloaded the install still takes a bit of time though, and you have to sit through that, I think.

Yup.

majik13

good advice for any new devices. In a couple months time, it will not be necessary to download a patch to new wiius for all the features to be available.

They also think the update is 5GB. Which is wrong. Plus hitting cancel in the system update option will have it downloading in the background so you can still play games.
The problem with this is that neither the PSA nor the manual state that system updates can be downloaded in the background. Nearly everyone in the Wii U Release Day thread was sitting with our thumbs up our asses while the update crawled (hence, the reason why people think it is 5GB), because we didn't know.

Madouu

The problem with this is that neither the PSA nor the manual state that system updates can be downloaded in the background. Nearly everyone in the Wii U Release Day thread was sitting with our thumbs up our asses while the update crawled (hence, the reason why people think it is 5GB), because we didn't know.

I'm curious to where this 5GB figure came from exactly, it's all over the internet.

Who gifts opened stuff? That's rude.

I get what you mean but it's for the greater good ;)

I randomly tweeted a while ago wondering if parents would do this. Didn't expect Nintendo to come right out and suggest it. Nintendo should probably tweet about the background DL thing, because even I didn't know that at the time I was updating.

I wish The Verge would expound on the "epic failure" of the Wii U launch from their perspective...

PokéKong

Sure it's reminding us of a crappy aspect of the system's launch, but I don't see the big problem with this suggestion, other than the original problem.

Maybe I just don't get what excites some people so much about the whole box opening process. If a loved one did all that for me I'd think they were really awesome and thoughtful.

Kacho

Good advice when you think about all the Wii U consoles that will be updating Christmas morning/day.

Still, lol Nintendo. You so crazy.

Madouu

I randomly tweeted a while ago wondering if parents would do this. Didn't expect Nintendo to come right out and suggest it. Nintendo should probably tweet about the background DL thing, because even I didn't know that at the time I was updating.

I wish The Verge would expound on the "epic failure" of the Wii U launch from their perspective...

They had a pretty detailed .pdf for the japanese launch explaining how to download the update in the background. I wish they did the same here.

That Verge article is just bad.

PokéKong;45659326 said:
Maybe I just don't get what excites some people so much about the whole box opening process. If a loved one did all that for me I'd think they were really awesome and thoughtful.

Especially since you would probably still get to open the gift box. I think now is the right time to use /thread.

With all the awful /thread comments and terrible trolling attempts, it's getting hard to distinguish GAF from GameFAQs and IGN. Good show.

They also think the update is 5GB. Which is wrong. Plus hitting cancel in the system update option will have it downloading in the background so you can still play games.
Considering the ridiculous amount of time it takes for the update to download you can't blame people for thinking it's 5GB.
How long does this update take anyway?
Took me about an hour and my connection is quite fast.

Madouu

Considering the ridiculous amount of time it takes for the update to download you can't blame people for thinking it's 5GB.

It shouldn't be an excuse to misinform people. When you are writing an article, you should always double check your facts and it wasn't very hard to do in this case.

They could've easily noted that the download speeds were slow and that's actually a better argument for a "launch failure" than a 5GB update.

majik13

the download time shouldn't be nearly as bad or wonky as launch day, they seem more stable and quicker now, and probabaly wont be as many people bombarding the system at once. especially if they take Nintendos suggestion.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Here's my protip Nintendo! How about YOU get your manufacturers to have the Wii U already updated to the latest firmware before they get shipped out!
How do you suppose they do that with units warehoused months in advance?

Eric C

I'm curious to where this 5GB figure came from exactly, it's all over the internet.

I think it has to do with how GB storage is advertized across all harddrives, and SD cards.

So the advertized size is 32GB but a computer's OS would list it as 28GB or something. (I think 32GB SD cards are only around 28GB) Then subtract the 1GB or so for the update.

People were like "I only have 27GB left! OMG the update was 5GB!"

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
I have a dumb question: If you background download and pull the plug/turn the console off, do you brick it?

The site doesn't warn against that.

How long does this update take anyway?

Times vary, it seems. Around launch day, I remember reports of two-hour DLs and installations for the whole process. By the time I got mine the week after Thanksgiving, the entire process took roughly 45 minutes.

Eric C

I have a dumb question: If you background download and pull the plug/turn the console off, do you brick it?

The site doesn't warn against that.

No not when it's downloading, you can just resume right where you left off.

You only risk bricking it if it's shut off when it's installing, and I think that's the same across all console installs.

Coming from the company who thought downloadable patches were an excuse for lazy developers to get shit out on time and unfinished. They should have people testing the shit out of stuff before it gets released. And the only update should be for additional content.

What happened to that "Seal of Quality".

stuminus3

Banned
Reasonable advice to anyone gifting to kids. I wouldn't give any of my kids any piece of electronics on Christmas day that I hadn't already updated.

Top Bottom