• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo recommends opening Wii U and perform system update before gifting to others

Resilient

What updates on the Xbox 360 take more than 30 minutes to download (or heck, even 15 minutes on a fast connection)?

I have multiple updates take 20-30 minutes on my Xbox in the past, mainly NXE rollouts in Fall/Spring. Granted I am from Australia, but the Wii U took 45 min for me here.

The PS3 is a bigger offender compared to the 3 updates we've had so far on the Wii U.

If they take an hour or more to update like the Wii U does, then I'm certain the complaints will be equally frequent, and equally justified.
But from what i understand you can let the update run in the background and continue to use the wii-u.Wii-u owners can correct me if i'm wrong.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
They already apologized for this, why make it even worse? Forget and move on getting the new units ready to go

But from what i understand you can let the update run in the background and continue to use the wii-u.Wii-u owners can correct me if i'm wrong.
Again, it does not state that you can download system updates in the background anywhere. It's not in the manual, it's not in the tweet, it's not in the Facebook update. Most people will be like us in the Release Day thread, waiting in agony.

Again, it does not state that you can download system updates in the background anywhere. It's not in the manual, it's not in the tweet, it's not in the Facebook update. Most people will be like us in the Release Day thread, waiting in agony.
Is it a complicated process?Do you have to go in the settings to enable something?

Is it a complicated process?Do you have to go in the settings to enable something?
It's actually really simple. Just cancel it and it'll automatically download in the background. However, canceling the day one update that gives your system its intended features is not something most people tried... so we didn't know at the time.

Fox Mulder

You'd think that the 360 and PS3 have never had to be updated given the reactions in thsi thread..probably a sweet idea for parents giving it to kids who wouldn't know better.

The 360 has never required an hour for me to update. The ps3 got plenty of shit for the slow PSN downloads you then have to install as well.

A lot of the stuff Nintendo has done with the WiiU is baffling considering the audience they just had on the wii. Sony recovered from a shitty launch, and i guess Nintendo can too.

It's actually really simple. Just cancel it and it'll automatically download in the background. However, canceling the day one update that gives your system its intended features is not something most people tried... so we didn't know at the time.
I can see that causing alot of confusion,they should have a option on the same screen.

Prine

Banned
This was partly due to the fact that the 360 limited you to 4MB updates maximum until very recently.

Still a testament to their software upon launch. MS roll out their updates smoothly, they're unlikely to make severe mistakes like Nintendo, who seem completely out of their depth here.

They already apologized for this, why make it even worse? Forget and move on getting the new units ready to go

It's a tweet aimed at parents who bought their kids the system. Even if they were to start flashing every console now with the update, it wouldn't help the people who got the thing Black Friday for their kids. I don't understand why so many people are faux outraged about this when there is no way in hell Nintendo could retroactively install these updates for them. Nintendo already apologized, so now they are supposed to pretend like it doesn't exist?

cakefoo

It's like the only thing that will calm people down is if Nintendo magically beamed the updates to all the launch Wii U units as they sat under the Christmas tree.

It's also hypocritical to criticize them for reaching out to consumers- "No don't help them, onlookers will see and they'll point and laugh! And you'll never sell a Wii U to someone who points and laughs."

Kerub

Banned
Well, they have to do the damage control somehow.

Imagine if you bought the next xbox, and it took 2 hours until you could actually play a game. That would be an outrage, but Nintendo it's okay because we'll get a Zelda at some point.

tbkkV.jpg

I did just that on launch day for my daughter.

<---- ahead of the curve

Also...Nintendo...*roll*

ajim

It's like the only thing that will calm people down is if Nintendo magically beamed the updates to all the launch Wii U units as they sat under the Christmas tree.

It's also hypocritical to criticize them for reaching out to consumers- "No don't help them, onlookers will see and they'll point and laugh! And you'll never sell a Wii U to someone who points and laughs."
not really. Everyone is just saying the update could have been better handled. Whether by having most of the software preinstalled, and having a smaller update, or by handling the way it does download and update better.

Fewr

not really. Everyone is just saying the update could have been better handled. Whether by having most of the software preinstalled, and having a smaller update, or by handling the way it does download and update better.

??
Better than downloading in the background while you play games? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that comment.

KissVibes

Banned
??
Better than downloading in the background while you play games? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that comment.

How about, I don't know, letting people know they could do that? I'm sure they'll release an update for that too.

Fewr

I remember the thing asking if I wanted to update or not (it happens right after the initial configuration). Assuming I remember correctly, wouldn't that be enough?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I love how many people in this thread took the tweet and applied to directly to themselves, instead of the audience it was aimed for.
This thread: geez gaf. This tweet wasn't meant for most of you...

Is the "audience" this tweet is aimed at even on Twitter though? I highly doubt anyone who is planning on gifting a WiiU was thinking "oh man maybe I should check the NOA twitter feed" before I wrap this present.

Its just a strange way of trying to notify people and hence the snickering.

JesseZao

Even better, plug it in, insert a game, load the game, and hide it under a prewrapped-box so they can really play it immediately. Whenever they need to load the UI, put the box back on. Once it loads, remove the box and say, "Merry Christmas! Your game is ready to play!"

Fewr

Is the "audience" this tweet is aimed at even on Twitter though? I highly doubt anyone who is planning on gifting a WiiU was thinking "oh man maybe I should check the NOA twitter feed" before I wrap this present.

Its just a strange way of trying to notify people and hence the snickering.

This is only anecdotal evidence, but I've seen plenty of young moms* like to check whatsapp, twitter and facebook regularly. It's not hard to imagine they'd check Nintendo's official twitter to check what games to buy for the kids, and stumble upon that instead.

* workmates

Yagharek

I guess the difference here is Nintendo are historically known for user-friendly experiences. Granted, they do things differently, but 99% of the time the way its done is quick, simple and intuitive.

The problem with Wii U is that they've gone straight from occasional small updates to 90 minute long updates every few weeks (at least until we know what the full pattern is, that's all we have to go by for now).

I already have a PS3 for installs. I expect Nintendo systems should be easier to deal with and this seems not to be the case.

DjRoomba

Banned
What updates on the Xbox 360 take more than 30 minutes to download (or heck, even 15 minutes on a fast connection)?

The big dashboard updates took just as long or longer..On ps3 game installs each take about 4 minutes. In both these cases there is no option to download in the background, like there is for Wii U. yes, downloading update after you first get it is a slight bummer, but then again view it as a day 1 major update, rather than a necessary first time user system update. This is standard shit.

Fewr

I guess the difference here is Nintendo are historically known for user-friendly experiences. Granted, they do things differently, but 99% of the time the way its done is quick, simple and intuitive.

The problem with Wii U is that they've gone straight from occasional small updates to 90 minute long updates every few weeks (at least until we know what the full pattern is, that's all we have to go by for now).

I already have a PS3 for installs. I expect Nintendo systems should be easier to deal with and this seems not to be the case.
This is true. I got my Wii U on a thursday at 20.45hrs, by the time I had finished all configurations and updates it was already about 23.15 and could only play for a few minutes because I had to get up early the day after for work.

I had heard the update would take a while, but I wasn't expecting that much.

espher

Pretty apparent advice for any consumer electronics device running software, really.

All of the electronics/hardware I've got have had updates available when I took them out of the box -- hell, most of the software too. Not all of them needed them, but it's unreasonable to assume every unit on a store shelf at all times is automagically updated to the newest update.

Wow, I came back in here amazed that people are still going on about this. I purchased mine at launch, I did the updates in advance of Christmas..I checked Gaf, Twitter, and I'm sure a lot of parents will too. I can't believe that people here havent figured out that there is a lot of parents my age (34) who are internet literate!! I mean man, my pops is in his 60's and did enough research on his own to know to update his before the grandkids come over during the holidays.

Contrary to what some posters might think, my generation was the one growing up with the NES, and guess what..WE ARE THE PARENTS, and yes, we are on the interweebs, and yes..we would have subscribed to NOA's twitter account.

Thoraxes

To be fair this advice is valid for a pretty large selection of consumer electronics. You sure aren't gonna be playing online on a new PS3 without waiting for an update first.

Maybe if the recipient is older they care if it's been opened or whatever, but a kid just wants to play with it ASAP.

Yep.

Bgamer90

Banned
The big dashboard updates took just as long or longer..On ps3 game installs each take about 4 minutes. In both these cases there is no option to download in the background, like there is for Wii U. yes, downloading update after you first get it is a slight bummer, but then again view it as a day 1 major update, rather than a necessary first time user system update. This is standard shit.

Xbox updates take no where near 30 minutes for me.

Jack_AG

Banned
How about no? I'm not fucking the recipient of my gift in case they want to return it.

OK if you're buying for a 6 year old, not for anyone else.

urfe

I've been telling my friends with small kids to do this. It makes perfect sense.

The tweet is not for parents giving a WiiU to their ungrateful teenage kids. It's about parents with young kids, who want to go "wow!" and play Mario right away.

Top Bottom