• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo sales - Zelda: 3.84 million, Pokémon S&M: 15.44 million, Kirby: 1.36 million

Realeza

Banned
Zelda should make it past the 5 million Mark but 10 million no way

Also while I was searching for a switch in stores I noticed that there are 4 to 5 switch games all in limited quantities except for Zelda botw switch which is like over stocked. Like I saw maybe 40 copies of botw switch on shelf at Walmart Target etc all unsold. Just stacked together.

With its current attach ratio, plus the fact is an evergreen title, I wouldn't bet against it.

Majukun

wow,almost 4 mln units almost one month ago?
considering the game might have "legs" being the face of the console right now, it might end up with a pretty good result

Also while I was searching for a switch in stores I noticed that there are 4 to 5 switch games all in limited quantities except for Zelda botw switch which is like over stocked. Like I saw maybe 40 copies of botw switch on shelf at Walmart Target etc all unsold. Just stacked together.

It's possibly over 5m right now, 4 weeks later.

More proof that Nintendo games are what you buy their platforms for, really incredible numbers.

Still waiting on a Switch. I now have Zelda and Mario Kart. Lol...Spaltoon 2 gonna be here before I have a system to play it on.

kswiston

With its current attach ratio, plus the fact is an evergreen title, I wouldn't bet against it.

I think the attach ratio is over 100%, because the Switch is so supply constrained. Those BotW copies will be there to sell as new systems trickle in, but we probably won't be seeing a 1:1 ratio between hardware and BotW by May.

Hell, isn't Japan's tie in at around 50%? Unless you believe that the west bought an extra 300k copies of BotW for no reason, there's still going to be a decent amount of stock out there.

10M could happen, but I'd guess that we will be waiting multiple years to find out.

Maxinas

It's pretty crazy how Kirby games consistently sells over a million copies per entry, even though Kirby sucks.

Get out, and don't come back.
Has had consistent quality over the years unlike other franchises i shall not mention to not tick off fans:^)

Another L for the "Pokemon is a fad" chorus.

This pops up in every Pokemon thread... who even said that?
Who was writing it off as a fad aside from local news reporters 15 years ago?
People have been saying 'some fad huh!?' for louder and (far) longer than the people who originally claimed it as being one, if they even exist.

So yeah, we sure proved those guys from the year 2000 wrong didn't we!
Quick let them know every month of every year forever.

The points been made man, let it go lol

m00h

Banned
Don't know about the other games, but Kirby definately deserves a lot more sales. This game is just so much fun and innovative as always in a Kirby way.

Aselith

Is 1.3 mil good for Kirby? That was always kind of a "low" seller for them but I don't know what its average sales are.

Edit: Answered above. So about average glad they can keep pumping them out!

Glad Mario Maker did well even though it was missing some important features. Those games (Wii U + 3DS) deserve more love

I can't wait for a Kirby game on the Switch.

Same here. I'm hoping it doesn't have joycon gimmicks though. That's going to be a concern for me with a lot
Of games.

So, so delicious. Nintendo pulls another rabbit out of their hat. It's their specialty.

They have the most powerful brands (IPs) in gaming. Everyone knows this and that's why investors lose their shit every time Nintendo does something. There's so much potential there

THISGONBGUD.gif

Sales or shipments?
Sales.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

Yup. They will sell a copy of BotW and MK8D to a large percentage of the people who buy the Switch over it's lifetime. Their sales figures are of course tied to how well Switch does long term but I think they will both do 10 million copies each easily, maybe even 20 million considering MK8 sold what 9 million copies on a 13.5 million install base on a completely failed system?

I saw about 100 unsold copies of GTAV on shelves after it launched, too. Sitting at the front of the store, even.

I wonder how much money Zelda has generated for Nintendo.
The Zelda amiibo are virtually sold out everywhere.
I imagine the DLC is doing fairly well.
They sold through their shipment of Limited Editions.
The game itself outsold the system it was on.
The game needed 2 million to break even and it's probably sold twice that by now.

The fact that Zelda only needed 2 million to break even (didn't know that until now) shows Nintendo is pretty good at keeping budgets in check. I mean, this is their largest game ever by FAR and went like, what, 1.5 years over schedule? Meanwhile you have something like Tomb Raider being in the red at 3.5 million and not turning a profit until somewhere between there and 5 million or something.

kswiston

Sales. They stated as such on their official press release. Should give it a look. Lots of interesting details, although I believe their projections are low compared to how good Switch is doing.

Does it explicitly say "sold to customers" or are you just assuming that the word sales means sold-through?

Because none of Nintendo's WW software sales numbers are sold through, and it would be weird for them to report sold-through for a single game. It's always sold to retailers + digital, unless we are talking about specific press statements related to an NPD or similar report.

I can't find the press release you are talking about, besides the fiscal report.

Top Bottom