• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo sales - Zelda: 3.84 million, Pokémon S&M: 15.44 million, Kirby: 1.36 million

Those Pokemon numbers are crazy. I'm really interested in seeing how the Switch performs in Japan once Splatoon, Monster Hunter, and Pokemon are all out.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Good on Nintendo. Really want to see Zelda pass the 10 mil mark.

nah. It's just your perception. cultural competency and all... just a cuss word, mate.
Saying "that's gay" or "faggot" would be about the American equivalent of what he just said. Popular among edgy and shitty 13 year olds. Save that kind of talk for playgrounds, yeah?

Once Pokemon is out on the Switch as an exclusive, it's all over. They need to pump out an awesome title asap. I don't even like Pokemon that much, but I'd love to see them make something that makes people rush out to buy this thing. Hell, I may even get a Pokemon game if it looks good enough. I've always kinda wanted to see a truly adventurous and open game in the series. This is the time to make a Pokemon game that truly blows people away. If they do, they will be reaping the rewards big time.

Good on Nintendo. Really want to see Zelda pass the 10 mil mark.

Saying "that's gay" or "faggot" would be about the American equivalent of what he just said. Popular among edgy and shitty 13 year olds. Save that kind of talk for playgrounds, yeah?

I'm not an American and that word doesn't have the same implications where I come from as it obviously does where you are. I'm sorry if it has upset you but there really was no offense intended, as I believe I stated in the original post. If the person I was talking to was upset then I'm more than willing to apologise to him or her too, otherwise let's chalk it up to cultural differences and move on. Trying to claim that it was some sort of homophobic attack seems a little disingenuous though.

Semajer

The fact that Zelda only needed 2 million to break even (didn't know that until now) shows Nintendo is pretty good at keeping budgets in check. I mean, this is their largest game ever by FAR and went like, what, 1.5 years over schedule? Meanwhile you have something like Tomb Raider being in the red at 3.5 million and not turning a profit until somewhere between there and 5 million or something.

Is there a source for this?

Edit: Nevermind. Found it.

Is there a source for this?

IIRC, it was widely reported that this was something Miyamoto said during an investor Q&A.

But I think I might've heard somewhere that he was actually saying that Nintendo generally shoots for about 2 million sales generally for big titles to cover its development costs, and that that figure wasn't specifically about break-even for BotW.

edit: found the quote

Miyamoto: In striking that balance, while it's important that we do not overextend by putting an excessive amount of content in our games, the only solution is how to make software that sells well. There will be big hits somewhere in our business, and they support the games that fail and allow us to take on other challenges. So our basic premise is to create software that will sell in the range of at least two million units. We simply couldn't recoup our costs if we only released games in Japan that had sales of around 300,000 units, so the global market is our standard.

Yup, not about BotW specifically.

Semajer

IIRC, it was widely reported that this was something Miyamoto said during an investor Q&A.

But I think I might've heard somewhere that he was actually saying that Nintendo generally shoots for about 2 million sales generally for big titles to cover its development costs, and that that figure wasn't specifically about break-even for BotW.

Thanks.

Shizuka

Sales. They stated as such on their official press release. Should give it a look. Lots of interesting details, although I believe their projections are low compared to how good Switch is doing.

Thank you. This got me a little confused:

As of March 31st (shipments):

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 3.84 (1.08 Wii U, 2.76 Switch)
Kirby: Planet Robobot: 1.36 million
Pokemon Sun/Pokemon Moon: 15.44 million
Super Mario Maker 3DS: 2.34 million

Sciz

I hope they bring it out on switch somehow.

Robobot would've been an incredible launch title for the system if HAL had had the foresight to push it back a year and up a generation.

As is, the model quality they've been using since Return to Dream Land holds up well at higher resolutions. If they have high res versions of the textures sitting around, they could crank out remasters of the last three games without needing to do too much more additional polish.

Fun fact: at one point the Pokémon article on Wikipedia was simultaneously in the categories "Fads of the 1990s", "Fads of the 2000s", and "Fads of the 2010s".
I swear there was an EGM or some other gaming magazine issue back in the late 90s/early 2000s that had a cover story saying the fad was dead or dying.

aBarreras

The fact that Zelda only needed 2 million to break even (didn't know that until now) shows Nintendo is pretty good at keeping budgets in check. I mean, this is their largest game ever by FAR and went like, what, 1.5 years over schedule? Meanwhile you have something like Tomb Raider being in the red at 3.5 million and not turning a profit until somewhere between there and 5 million or something.

i mean, remember that microsoft and sony and the retailers will take their part of the profit. nintendo need to sell less because they arent sharing the profit with anyone but the retailers,

Kangi

That's some good numbers for Kirby, which usually slow burns its way over one million instead. Switch Kirby in 2018, please and thank you.

That's some good numbers for Kirby, which usually slow burns its way over one million instead. Switch Kirby in 2018, please and thank you.

I know pokemon amd zelda are getting all the attention, but that game selling over a million copies is a really good profit for nintendo and keeps them very healthy between major releases.

Think about how much sony spent on the last guardian in comparison, that game hasnt even had a 1 million sales announcement yet.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

One of the major reasons Nintendo don't want even Xbox One level hardware nevermind Scorpio. Development costs would double if not triple overnight.

Top Bottom