• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Says JoyCon Wireless Issues Were Caused By 'Manufacturing Variation'

me0wish

Tested lots of left joycons, out of 13, they all had issues except for one. I plan to return them all to Amazon, I'm just waiting to make sure I'll get a controller out of the new batch, and that the issue is actually fixed.

massoluk

Banned
Tested lots of left joycons, out of 13, they all had issues except for one. I plan to return them all to Amazon, I'm just waiting to make sure I'll get a controller out of the new batch, and that the issue is actually fixed.
Why do you have 13 joycon?

People like you are the reason Amazon might stop selling Nintendo hardware again.

Just tested mines. The one came with the system has issues within 7 feet; another set seems to be perfectly fine outside of 10 feet.

me0wish

Uh what does how many I bought have to do with anything? Long story short, friends wanted them.

Back on topic, current left joycon sucks.

TheFuzz

I'm sure this sounds stupid, but I have a pro controller... if I ship mine off (I have the issue with the left joycon), the console functions perfectly fine without the joycons and I can use the Pro controller when docked, correct?

Just want to make sure I'm not Switchless for a week.

I'm still baffled as to how the foam wizardry is working. From the few that did before sending it in and after photos it seems Nintendo cleaned up the soldering job on the joint connecting the antenna to the rest of the circuit, and then slapped a chunk of foam in there.

Was the antenna resonating because it's a standoff portion of board and the foam forces it still? We know the conducting aspect does squat since the antenna isn't bare making a connection to it. It's also not exactly blocking or interfering with the signal since that would be negative lol

If this shit is legit how the scientific hell is it actually working?

Continuity was tested as fine, hell we even had a member here that works on RF Antennas isolate and test the antenna and oddly enough he found shoving tape in that area seemed to help along with reflowing that solder joint. What we can't figure out though is why does this help?

Nintendo's support website is just a maze that always lead you back to a FAQ telling you to sit closer to your TV. Is it possible to send them an email like the site says or do I have to waste my time on the phone?

Mokujin

Is there any way to DIY? Sending it to Nintendo isn't an option for me.

I would like to do it myself if it's not much trouble, I'm playing Zelda and don't really want to send it, I'm enjoying so much exploring that is going to take me quiiiiite a bit of time...

[While I'm not having major issues, Switch is really close to me and I get some unresponsiveness when my legs block the joycon]

Nintendo's support website is just a maze that always lead you back to a FAQ telling you to sit closer to your TV. Is it possible to send them an email like the site says or do I have to waste my time on the phone?

I think you do actually have to call.

My initial set had the issue. I bought a new spare pair and that seemed ok, so I think I'm ok...for now.

RedRumy3

Quick update I sent my Joy-Con out Wednesday night they received it Thursday and was in service and woke up today with an email around 10:30 AM saying they shipped out my Joy-Con with UPS Next Day Shipping. But it will probably come Monday since today is Friday :'(

tPUJJiU.png

Quick update I sent my Joy-Con out Wednesday night they received it Thursday and was in service and woke up today with an email around 10:30 AM saying they shipped out my Joy-Con with UPS Next Day Shipping. But it will probably come Monday since today is Friday :'(

tPUJJiU.png

Yeah that sucks man. Nintendo not cross shipping replacements really rubs me the wrong way.

Will attempt to fix mine manually tonight.

I hope this means that they will fully fix the issue and then maybe I'll consider a Switch. One of the big reasons I haven't gotten the Switch yet is this issue.

SRTtoZ

So I shipped my Joy-Con out on Wednesday and today they are shipping them back to me overnight for delivery tomorrow. Pretty decent.

So, how do I contact Nintendo (I'm in NA) that I wanna have my Joy-Cons fixed?

Call them.

Thought this was all bs, but now it keeps happening. Every couple of minutes the system pauses and I have to press A to make sure the controller is functioning.

I'm using the system as a handheld and it still happens. Is this what others are experiencing or an I having a seperate issue?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Amazing.

Ill be opening mine up tomorrow night and putting some foam in... we will see how it goes.

IT WORKED!!!! :O

I took some foam (from a old computer box I had lying around), opened up the left joycon, put it in, and holy crap. Before it would break behind my back at 5ft. Now its WORKING at 15ft from behind my back.

Im shocked it worked, but super excited!

Jubenhimer

That's a dodge.

Nintendo no longer the dependable "make it right and then some" manufacturer many still espouse them as.

Well, they fixed the issue sooner than later. Anyone who knows Nintendo's history can tell you they weren't just going to sit there and do nothing about this.

I took some foam (from a old computer box I had lying around), opened up the left joycon, put it in, and holy crap. Before it would break behind my back at 5ft. Now its WORKING at 15ft from behind my back.

is this really a fix? just regular packing foam? how strange

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Your sample size was way too low dude.

NolbertoS

Well, thanks to Ambassador Switch GAFers, the next modified Switch Unit for Black Friday should be bug free. Still think its a heatsink issue affect the IR on the antenna, hence why putting a Insulation Foam prevents heat from affecting the antenna. There's so much R & D you can do and not notice issues. At least its not ad serious as thr RROD. MS knew tgere was a problem before they unveiled the 360 but pushed it to be a market leader and don't think they made as much money repairing faulty consoles.

That's kind of ridiculous. Amazon keeps note of high return amounts btw.

NolbertoS

You do know Amazon bans people who return aton of stuff or always complain about getting refunds from them. Therems a limit of what Amazon will tolerate before rhey ban you. Its already happened to some people. Tread lightly with them.

Yeah if you return 13 joycons to Amazon I'd be worried about your account if I were you. I was almost banned for excessive credits/refunds and I know they ban for too many returns as well. 13 is excessive.

Yeah if you return 13 joycons to Amazon I'd be worried about your account if I were you. I was almost banned for excessive credits/refunds and I know they ban for too many returns as well. 13 is excessive.

How do you know that you were "almost banned"? The idea of getting banned from Amazon is terrifying to me.

SRTtoZ

So I'm guessing the ones with issues are standard grey models? My red ones work fine but my left grey doesn't.

So I'm guessing the ones with issues are standard grey models? My red ones work fine but my left grey doesn't.

Nope. I got three launch consoles from Japan, two Neon and one grey, all had the issue. Doesn't affect me personally​ as I only play in portable mode, but it was the first thing I tested for upon opening the boxes and all had the desync issue.

is this really a fix? just regular packing foam? how strange

Conductive foam. Not packing foam. The foam should be pretty soft and have sparkles in it. I think it essentially acts as a antennae for the bridges under it.

But it does work. Little square of foam and my joy in is working great now!

Been playing with just pro controller and handheld. Last night i tried joycons in the holder, and yeah, i was like 3 to 5 feet away and Link was running off cliffs, not responding. Super bad.

What are my steps to fixing this, GAF? I'm in the UK, btw. Anyone have a link (heh) of what number to call?

sirap

I have 4 pairs of Joycons (2 bought from Maxsoft, 1 from Japan and the other from UK) and all 4 of them have issues.

Small issue my ass. Fortunately I don't give a shit about warranty as I'm taking them apart for spraying, so I'll try the diy fix.

It worked for me too!! I used a very small piece of the package foam from my 1080 and all my drops seem to be gone. No problems during Splatoon, no problems during a 30 minute Zelda session, no problems using the calibration testing.

For anyone lookng for before and after pics (not mine)
1hLw67r.png

fsGKlDw.png

japtor

How bout right joycon issues? I've had issues with both during Zelda, I guess it's less noticeable with the right cause you're not necessarily always holding stick/buttons on there. I've had the camera get stuck spinning around occasionally, or laggy when moving around the inventory screen with the right stick.

Course both are usually fine, can get a decent distance away during the calibration test (like 10-15 feet behind the back gets stuttery), but sometimes there's bad bouts of lag within my usual distance (around 6 feet). Probably my phone/tablet doing something and causing interference but not sure on that.

I haven't opened my Switch yet cause I'm in the process of moving. How does one reliably test for dysnc issues? How quickly does it manifest?

Top Bottom