• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Says JoyCon Wireless Issues Were Caused By 'Manufacturing Variation'

sirap

Any particular type of conductive foam?

I cut off a small piece from the foam that comes with graphic cards. I've heard some theories that it's not the foam itself that boosts the signal, but the fact that it provides a buffer between the circuit board and ribbon that runs above it. If you don't have any conductive foam around, you could try something else (but I would still go for conductive foam just in case, I don't know shit about electronics :p)

Screwdriver and conductive foam turned up this morning so I sat down and got to work with the fix.

QgViOnB.png

My issue with the left joycon was cutting out and short desyncs from about 4-5 feet away made worse if I rest my legs up in front of myself, level with the switch on my desk.

After adding the foam and giving it a test in the same relaxed position so far it's been rather flawless and i've not noticed any cutting out while playing fast rmx, I also tested it's overall range playing the switch at a room size distance away, perfectly fine is nothing is in the way but behind my back it was jumpy, however both joycons were doing this so it's a limit of the tiny wireless packages in the joycon mostly.

It's an improvement for sure but it's not as good as a revised joycon motherboard would be, having the built in antenna lead up next to the metal casing of the analog stick is just bad design from the ground up.

Overall I paid £3.39 for everything, 0.99 for the screwdriver and 2.40 for a sheet of conductive foam just so I could cut a small square out of it.

Vitacat

Shipped mine to Nintendo on Tuesday, arrived back home today, Thursday. Excellent turnaround.

Did you only have to ship the defective joycon, or your whole Switch?

Just curious. Don't think my joycons are bad so far, but then I've mostly been using my pro controller in tv mode or joycons in handheld mode.

Did you only have to ship the defective joycon, or your whole Switch?

Just curious. Don't think my joycons are bad so far, but then I've mostly been using my pro controller in tv mode or joycons in handheld mode.

I only shipped the left joycon. I'd recommend testing it to see if yours has an issue and if so, call Nintendo and get it over and done with. Especially while it's still under warranty.

It was a simple and painless process.

jeffers

Screwdriver and conductive foam turned up this morning so I sat down and got to work with the fix.

QgViOnB.png

My issue with the left joycon was cutting out and short desyncs from about 4-5 feet away made worse if I rest my legs up in front of myself, level with the switch on my desk.

After adding the foam and giving it a test in the same relaxed position so far it's been rather flawless and i've not noticed any cutting out while playing fast rmx, I also tested it's overall range playing the switch at a room size distance away, perfectly fine is nothing is in the way but behind my back it was jumpy, however both joycons were doing this so it's a limit of the tiny wireless packages in the joycon mostly.

It's an improvement for sure but it's not as good as a revised joycon motherboard would be, having the built in antenna lead up next to the metal casing of the analog stick is just bad design from the ground up.

Overall I paid £3.39 for everything, 0.99 for the screwdriver and 2.40 for a sheet of conductive foam just so I could cut a small square out of it.

link to the screwdriver? was struggling to find the right size... most just dont specify it.

krumble

QgViOnB.png

Well done on this :)

still confused why people are modding themselves when under warranty and Nintendo are happily replacing though...

CoolS

Sent in my left joy-con after chatting with support, even though Nintendo Germany's official stance still seems to be "lalala everything's fine, nothing to see here", treating it like a regular repair send-in instead of a special circumstance/fix. Here's hoping they apply a similar fix as the repairs I've seen from US service.

Please let us know how it went. Considering sending mine in as well (Germany)

link to the screwdriver? was struggling to find the right size... most just dont specify it.
It was a size 0, or Y0 going by this ebay page. I bought the smallest head I could find since the screws are really tiny on the joycon. it works well for such a cheap screwdriver.

still confused why people are modding themselves when under warranty and Nintendo are happily replacing though...

I didn't feel like sending mine away and more people were confirming the foam was helping out, it was cheap enough to do it at home. I was also able to keep playing my switch as I don't have any other controllers.

tsab

I am guessing because you can't play your console for a week or so. I am not planning to sent it to our distributor for fix, I am not sure if the Greek distributor will fix it themselves or sent it back to Germany.This could take 1-5weeks

So I am happy to do it myself, it will take 10 minutes of my time.

jeffers

It was a size 0, or Y0 going by this ebay page. I bought the smallest head I could find since the screws are really tiny on the joycon. it works well for such a cheap screwdriver.

I didn't feel like sending mine away and more people were confirming the foam was helping out, it was cheap enough to do it at home. I was also able to keep playing my switch as I don't have any other controllers.

Ta, ifixit was saying y00 needed, but didnt fancy paying like £9 for a kit.

btrboyev

Game explain said the fix only slightly helped. I'm not sure what the fuck is going on with their setup but I do the same thing they do to cause interference and my joycons don't mess up at all. They can also make their right joy con lose signal.

Mine have been perfect since day 1.

Game explain said the fix only slightly helped. I'm not sure what the fuck is going on with their setup but I do the same thing they do to cause interference and my joycons don't mess up at all. They can also make their right joy con lose signal.

there are two versions of joycons out there, its possible you have the one that doesnt suffer from the issue

Ta, ifixit was saying y00 needed, but didnt fancy paying like £9 for a kit.

mine has a pointy tip so I had to push down a little bit to stop the screwdriver slipping, last thing you want to do is strip the screw heads but they came out easily enough.

it was a manufacturing defect that hit a certain portion of joycons. if yours isn't malfunctioning then you didn't get a defective one.

it was a manufacturing defect that hit a certain portion of joycons. if yours isn't malfunctioning then you didn't get a defective one.

I think having the on-board antenna next to a big piece of metal on the outside wall of the joycon where your hand covers it was bad design, I would not be surprised to see that changed in future joycons made at the end of the year.

I think having the on-board antenna next to a big piece of metal on the outside wall of the joycon where your hand covers it was bad design, I would not be surprised to see that changed in future joycons made at the end of the year.

i believe it already has been fixed, cnet reported that they there atleast two version where the different version doesnt have the issues without needing to have any form

I'm probably going to send my left joycon in for repair when I get from my holidays over Easter. The problem isn't too bad but I reasonably often get lag where Link just carries on running in the direction he was running in when the connection drops. It's irking me enough for me to do something about it when I get back.

I only shipped the left joycon. I'd recommend testing it to see if yours has an issue and if so, call Nintendo and get it over and done with. Especially while it's still under warranty.

It was a simple and painless process.

How can you test it for issues exactly?

I've had my Switch since the day after launch and haven't seen any issues. But then again I mostly use the Pro Controller and when I use the joy cons they're attached to the tablet. So while it seems like they're OK, I'd like to know for sure. Especially with this fast turn around time for repairs.

How can you test it for issues exactly?

I've had my Switch since the day after launch and haven't seen any issues. But then again I mostly use the Pro Controller and when I use the joy cons they're attached to the tablet. So while it seems like they're OK, I'd like to know for sure. Especially with this fast turn around time for repairs.

A good natural test for the joycons is to use them in the grip, sit in a chair and play with your legs up or maybe a coffee table in the way between you and the switch, if you get consistant left joycon issues then it's most likely because of the poor wireless quality.

So.... Nintendo of America just said to return my unit to the Store.

I live in Brazil, bought the console while in France.

They basically said FUCK YOU

QgViOnB.png

Want to sell me some conductive foam to make use of what you have left?

Dynomutt

QgViOnB.png

Happy that this works! But...IMO you should of never had to do this in the first place.

NYR

My repaired left joycon came in the mail from Nintendo Canada. Took 8 days.

Happy to report it is working 100% fine now, passes all tests, I can use it 10 feat away with ease, cross legged, no skipping, no issues using the test when the joycon behind my back either.

Praise be to Foam Da God.

That's very kind of you. I'm in Cornwall. I'll send you a PM.

Of course, but the options are to sit still and moan or get moving and fix it.

Yep. I've seen one guy complaining about it since launch. I keep wondering if he hasn't gotten it fixed so he can have the pleasure of complaining about it. Ninty seems pretty quick to fix these.

QgViOnB.png

Just done this myself, thanks for helping out with the materials!

Mine was a grey one, no foam confirmed when i opened it up.

:)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Guess I was unlucky, since both of mine are shit. I sit literally 1 meter from my Switch, and while I don't get complete disconnects (has happened once) they will drop inputs or become laggy just from my leg blocking line of sight.

Chao

I got my joycons back from repair.

They fixed the blue one, but didn't touch the red one "because they couldn't find an issue with it".

Red one works like shit, but they've probably been told by Nintendo that only the blue ones are faulty and didn't bother with the red one.

I called them again and they should be picking it up tomorrow again.

I warned them that this is the second time I send it, that it doesn't work properly and that don't they dare to send it back to me without a fix again.

It's been one month without working joycons, if it wasn't for the pro controller I bought -which I didn't plan to, but had to because I wanted to play Zelda at launch- I would have been looking at a tablet since March 3rd.

I'm kind of pissed at Nintendo, just admit the joycons suck and give me a new one, or at least fix it, don't send it back to me like "lalala I can't hear you everything is fine"

kris.

Banned
I bought my Switch after the manufacturing defect came to light. Like a week and a half after, I think. My left joy con still gets screwy when I'm sitting and my leg blocks it or something. Probably gonna call up Nintendo here in the next few days and get it fixed.

MDave

Sent mine on Monday, they got it yesterday but still no updates on the Nintendo UK support site. Just says 'registered', same as before I sent it.

Did some investigating and it turns out that a third party company called RepairTech Ltd based in Coventry are the ones that fix the joycons here in the UK. Small warehouse from the looks of it on Google maps. They also have photos of the workstations inside on there. They also fix other stuff like laptops and other electronics from other companies.

So yeah, probably in an assembly line queue. Nintendo themselves aren't really involved. So no idea when I will be getting it back.

I bought my Switch after the manufacturing defect came to light. Like a week and a half after, I think. My left joy con still gets screwy when I'm sitting and my leg blocks it or something. Probably gonna call up Nintendo here in the next few days and get it fixed.

Do it sooner rather than later. Not sure why people put it off. Mine was back to me the day after it arrived to Nintendo. They're fast.

Persona7

Banned
Anyone know if shipments arriving in stores this week/last week still have the issue or are all new shipments fixed?

My friend bought and returned one yesterday with the issue. It was a brand new shipment straight off the truck. I've been wondering if any units manufactured in 2017 have released yet.

psychotron

Those on the fence about sending to Nintendo, just do it. I used my pro controller while I waited and now my joycons are incredible. I use them sometimes just because I can't believe how great they are now. I love my Switch, and for a while I didn't think I would.

I did the self repair and don't regret it at all. It's not expensive to pick up a PH000 and a Y0 if you haven't already got one. It fixed the issue I was having with my neon blue left joycon (my neon red one never had issues).

Took five minutes.

Team self repair!

me0wish

Today I received two switches that I've ordered for my friends, and they both have left joy-con connectivity issues. So I've tested a total of 15 joy-cons, only 1 didn't have any issue.

I did the self repair and don't regret it at all. It's not expensive to pick up a PH000 and a Y0 if you haven't already got one. It fixed the issue I was having with my neon blue left joycon (my neon red one never had issues).

Took five minutes.

Team self repair!

What's the name of the foam? Thanks!

Enkidu

Putting the antenna next to the metal casing is not bad design in itself, and if it was an issue it would be an issue on all units. The antenna also does not appear to be signficantly detuned when holding it (absorption losses will of course happen, but you can't really avoid that even if you move the antenna). There is no fundamental issue with the basic antenna design. Clearly something can happen that messes it up completely, but it is not due to a fundamental error with the entire antenna concept as you seem to be suggesting. They might change the antenna in a revision, but if they are confident in their current fix I don't really see the need.

Haunted

Please let us know how it went. Considering sending mine in as well (Germany)
Sorry for the late reply, I sent in the left joy-con last Thursday and got it back this Thursday, so 7 days turnaround all told. It's fixed now with no connection drops even if there's stuff in the way or playing cross-legged. The repair didn't cost anything, just paid 5€ to send the package (as a DHL-Paket so it was tracked and insured). Very painless. :)

Shiggy

Sorry for the late reply, I sent in the my left joy-con last Friday and got it back this Thursday, all fixed now with no connection drops even if there's stuff in the way. 6 days turnaround all told. The repair didn't cost anything, just paid 5€ to send the package (as a DHL-Paket so it was tracked and insured).

Strange that you had to pay for shipping. Normally it's still under warranty and your retailer sends it in for free.

Haunted

Strange that you had to pay for shipping. Normally it's still under warranty and your retailer sends it in for free.
Ya, I bought it from Amazon but they just offered to replace mine with a new one (which could've been just another broken one) so I didn't opt for that and just sent it to Nintendo directly on my own after chatting with support.

Waji

I'm just waiting for some relatives to tell me if they kept any boxes with the right foam to give me some and I'll do it myself too.

After having to open my PSP hundreds of time I'm pretty sure a joycon won't trouble me too much.

I may be able to do everything for free and in 10 minutes. Seems better than paying for calling the service and wait for days.
Not to mention the mail service handling it in my country can be shit and I don't want to entrust them with the delivery.

So what is the range of good joy con?

My left and right have issues around 3 meters/9 feet behind my back.
Is that considered normal or should I send them in?

nynt9

What's the procedure for getting them fixed? Do I have to call nintendo or is an email good? I don't really have time to deal with phone tech support.

Top Bottom