• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

Jigorath

Banned
What these charts don't show you is HOW MUCH $$$$$$$$ this company makes and how much it has in its war chest.

This company doesn't need to "sell well" to make mad profit off the things it sells. Consider how much money Nintendo is making RIGHT NOW on Amiibo sells.

This company is doing FINE.

How much money is Nintendo making on Amiibos? Do you have any numbers on profits?

With the combined GC/Wii numbers of course.

Metroid Prime. Surprised they were all million sellers. Since Nintendo seemes a bit cold after the first game i thought Prime 2 and specially Prime 3 did a lot worse. This shows this is not the case.

Prime is the best selling Metroid game ever XD

Corruption is right there with Super Metroid!!!!

They should keep making these games on home consoles.

Killzone and Resistance sell well?

KZ SF has sold 2.1 million (Jan 14)
Resistance 2 sold 3 million +

YHGZsJW.png

8Zb0IxS.png

From the charts you can tell that Wii and DS Gen was the exception in the Nintendo hardware shipments decreasing over time

Interested to see how Nintendo will tackle the issue of notable decline in both their home and handheld sectors.

It's okay, I'm just mocking fanboys in a backhanded way.

It's refreshing that Nintendo provides this kind of data though. I'd like to see something similar for Microsoft.

From Sony too.

andymcc

Banned
The comparitively low SNES software numbers are sort of surprising but, then again, that system had really strong third-party support unlike mostly every other post-SNES console lol

It's like everyone just completely left after Wii DS. That drop is huge.

This company is not fine and it saddens me because it feels like they do not even try to fix it.

Stop doing full MSRP on game prices a year after it is released. It isn't helping when your system may be slightly cheaper but your games are always so expensive.

Exile20

What these charts don't show you is HOW MUCH $$$$$$$$ this company makes and how much it has in its war chest.

This company doesn't need to "sell well" to make mad profit off the things it sells. Consider how much money Nintendo is making RIGHT NOW on Amiibo sells.

This company is doing FINE.

Nintendo might not have a hit every time, who does?, but one thing is sure, they know how to run a company. If they can make a profit off the GC then I am sure they will make one off the Wii U.

PHANTOM HOUR GLASS: 4.76 WIND WAKER: 4.43

Justice has been served. Phantom Hour Glass is what Wind Waker should have been in terms of bringing Zelda to the high seas.

Excuse the excessive enthusiam, but those numbers bring this sad man some happiness.

Ridley327

Yeah. It's sad too, the franchise to me feels like it has the potential to be a 5 million + seller per entry, but they just haven't found the way to do so. Maybe after they get far away from Other M they can see some new success for the series. Some experimental spin-offs would be nice though.

I don't know what else Nintendo can really do besides make something that abandons a lot of what Metroid's identity has been up until now. It's not like Super Metroid, Prime 1, and Other M didn't have fairly substantial marketing pushes, which points to the IP just not being all that appealing to the larger audience. I mean, they even tried to sell Prime 3 as a part of their "Wii Would Like to Play" campaign from the first year of the Wii, and the best they got was almost matching Super's sales, despite being a considerably more expensive game to make. It pains me to say this, but Metroid is caught between a rock and a hard place, and it left the grappling beam at home.

It's like everyone just completely left after Wii DS. That drop is huge.

This company is not fine and it saddens me because it feels like they do not even try to fix it.

Stop doing full MSRP on game prices a year after it is released. It isn't helping when your system may be slightly cheaper but your games are always so expensive.

Personally I think a lot of it comes from both the 3DS and Wii U being poorly conceived pieces of hardware that are simply out of touch with today's market. Even small children has smart phones and tablets now. They want more technologically advanced things, and Nintendo seems increasingly like a toy company in a tech space.

Celine

Fixed mistakes with Super Mario Bros 2 USA/Lost Levels and Super Mario Strikers.
Updated OP.

PHANTOM HOUR GLASS: 4.76 WIND WAKER: 4.43

Justice has been served. Phantom Hour Glass is what Wind Waker should have been in terms of bringing Zelda to the high seas.

Excuse the excessive enthusiam, but those numbers bring this sad man some happiness.
You are a weird man eh eh eh :)

Ninjimbo

The drop from Goldeneye to Perfect Dark...damn. With all the hype PD had, it didn't even come close to what Goldeneye did.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Surprised at some of these. No Metroid Zero Mission? And neither Endless Ocean game broke a million on Wii? Were the Rogue Squadron games not published by Nintendo on GC?

hokahey

I will never understand why Nintendo didn't make a Super Wii with bigger and better of the same premise. Like NES to SNES. Instead of simply evolving their massively successful hardware they reinvented the wheel again. Granted, Wii popularity had dropped off, but I guarantee it would have done better than Wii U. And I love my Wii U.

This makes no sense. Nothing from the data provides either revenue of profit. What the hell are you talking about? Mario Kart 8 cannot possibly match Wii sakes because the hardware base isn't big enough.

Are you really thinking that 3m vs 35m is even comparable in the slightest on revenue and profit?

Asd202

The decline Nintendo is seeing with WiiU and 3DS is pretty big, no wonder there looking for new ways to make some money (QOL).

sörine

Banned
its very true for GB and GBC (I still don't get why Nintendo take them as one generation), but on the DS and DSi its not the case since all the DSi Games were just enhancements from the DS and the latter can play them all, the DSi is just a minor change from the DS, while the 3DS is a true generationla leap, for example..

the same goes when the New 3DS sales start, they should be counted as one since they are in the same hardware level
Not exactly, DSi actually has more exclusive games than GBC did. It's just that 99% of them were digital.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
It's not hard to see why Nintendo isn't rushing out to make more Metroid.

They were never huge sellers compared to their other 1st party titles, and I assume they cost more to make.

Are you really thinking that 3m vs 35m is even comparable in the slightest on revenue and profit?

Of course not but you're basing your argument off graphics lead to lower sales for MK8 when in reality it's the actual install base that is limiting its potential buyer reach. How can you possibly compare the two when the actual hardware scenario is completely different. Like someone else already pointed out MK8 has a higher attach ratio than Wii, so that in itself proves it did better. Revenue and profit cannot be compared because it's on a different platform, not to mention the various other factors thst we would never be able to understand such as loss in revenue from pack in, DLC, and peripheral sales.

The drop from Goldeneye to Perfect Dark...damn. With all the hype PD had, it didn't even come close to what Goldeneye did.
It came at a time where people was tired of the 5th generation, all sights were in to what's next (PS2 specially). It's funny to see that this is a recurring theme in several occasions, people ignore fantastic games of the old gen in favor of playing launch ones in a new wave of consoles, even if most often than not they aren't of better quality.

Flappy

Banned

It's the same reason GT6 sold so much less than GT5. They released too late in the console's life. People had moved on by that time.

Of course not but you're basing your argument off graphics lead to lower sales for MK8 when in reality it's the actual install base that is limiting its potential buyer reach. How can you possibly compare the two when the actual hardware scenario is completely different. Like someone else already pointed out MK8 has a higher attach ratio than Wii, so that in itself proves it did better. Revenue and profit cannot be compared because it's on a different platform, not to mention the various other factors thst we would never be able to understand such as loss in revenue from pack in, DLC, and peripheral sales.

Please read my posts. I never mentioned graphics once nor alluded to it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I will never understand why Nintendo didn't make a Super Wii with bigger and better of the same premise. Like NES to SNES. Instead of simply evolving their massively successful hardware they reinvented the wheel again. Granted, Wii popularity had dropped off, but I guarantee it would have done better than Wii U. And I love my Wii U.
Nintendo could have significantly reduced the Wii drop off if they continued supporting it after 2010. Motion Plus should have allowed them to breathe new life into the console, but they never released any games that pushed the concept of motion any further.

Please read my posts. I never mentioned graphics once nor alluded to it.

Oops sorry thought you were the other guy. My point still stands though that it's illogical to really compare the two as if Mario Kart 8 can ever compete to the performance of the Wii version considering the differences in hardware sales. Mario Kart Wii made no doubt a shit ton of money for Ninfendo, but I think it's incredibly naive and stupid to sort of build revenue and profit assumptions based off simply units sold. There are so many other factors in play thst we will never see that it's a pointless discussion.

You are putting words in his mouth by making this exaggerated claim.

You said MK8 had "horrible" profit margins. Something that can't be proven with the data that Celine has shared with us. And more importantly withouth providing any data of yours.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
lol 35 million MK Wii vs 3 million MK8... Maybe it'll teach them to put graphics over gameplay next time

*eyebrows going up*

*eyebrows actually leaving the body and going into stratosphere*

I remember Neiteio said something like this, once...don't remember the exact quote, though

Top Bottom