• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 3.0 update Wish list

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Themes and VC are the big ones I'd like. There should also be 1080p UI for docked mode.

Also anyone saying Netflix/hulu/etc realizes that isn't something Nintendo just adds in firmware right? Netflix or Hulu or whoever need to actually make the application.

"On a machine in 2017 that doesn't have the functionality of it's predecessors."

What are you trying to defend here?

I'm not defending anything. I'm expressing an opinion that I am not interested in bloating up my videogame machine with unnecessary bullshit that a half-dozen devices I already own can do.

Interfectum

I'm not defending anything. I'm expressing an opinion that I am not interested in bloating up my videogame machine which I use to play videogames with unnecessary bullshit that a half-dozen devices I already have can do.

It's not about bloating up a device... it's about adding features that keeps the system in user's hands. You may not care about them but Nintendo does and wants to keep them engaged even when not playing.

Streaming services, meta things like achievements, friends communication, etc makes this happen.

RootCause

"I want nine trillion buttons and knobs and icons and doodads and advertisements and social integration so i can see every hashtweet and sharelike and everyone can look at what i'm doing so my system does everything but plays videofuckinggames"
Don't be ridiculous. You can play games, and I haven't heard of anyone getting lost on the competing platforms ui.

RootCause

Themes and VC are the big ones I'd like. There should also be 1080p UI for docked mode.

Also anyone saying Netflix/hulu/etc realizes that isn't something Nintendo just adds in firmware right? Netflix or Hulu or whoever need to actually make the application.
I like this wishlist. Wish we could use the Zelda anniversary them on the switch. :p

AgeEighty

Also, Miis transferring over. Its ridiculous that an app like Miitomo handles this better than Switch, which needs you to register an amiibo with 3DS / Wii.

Yes please. I have dozens of Miis I've made, and I haven't even bothered transferring more than a couple to Switch because the process is so onerous. Why couldn't it just read QR codes directly from the files the Wii U and 3DS generate, from the microSD card?

EDarkness

Ah, I'm sorry. Online multiplayer game.

That's what I mean. There're are a couple already. Bomberman and FAST RMX. I haven't played online yet, but I hear that FAST RMX isn't bad when played online.

This can literally be used to ask why you're being difficult regarding a built in system messaging. It'll take less than 5 seconds since the Switch ui fast.

People can argue about anything. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I just don't see how not having it is a detriment to they system. If the systems I own now (all last gen machines and current gen machines except XB1) didn't have that functionality it wouldn't get in the way of playing games on those systems online. I must have put in 400-500 hours into Mass Effect 3 multiplayer across multiple systems and never once used those features. If I wanted to play with a friend, I just called them or sent them a message via my phone. A few weeks ago I wanted to play Dragon Age on the PS4 with my friend. I see him online, and sent him a message via PSN. He never responded. I ended up getting out my phone and sending him a message via Message and got him instantly. He said the message I sent didn't show up until we were chatting together. Same sort of thing happened when I wanted to play games with friends on my Xbox 360. So the OS chat options just aren't worth it. Just send them a message via phone or call them on the phone and it's better. At least in my experience.

I'm not defending anything. I'm expressing an opinion that I am not interested in bloating up my videogame machine with unnecessary bullshit that a half-dozen devices I already own can do.

How does messaging bloat up the machine? And this is the lamest excuse because the ps4 is still fast. The X1 is fast as well. How do you think companies keep people in their ecosystem? By just playing games? What happens when the user is done?

How does messaging bloat up the machine? And this is the lamest excuse because the ps4 is still fast. The X1 is fast as well. How do you think companies keep people in their ecosystem? By just playing games? What happens when the user is done?

Look, I know I'm pretty much "old man yells at cloud" here, but I miss when consoles did one thing and did it well rather than a bunch of half-assed, unnecessary stuff. I don't care about ecosystems. When I'm done playing games, I turn the console off. I don't use it to check my social media or "engage with the platform." I play a game, then I turn it off. The ancillary shit is just not for me.

Malus

Every time I select a game I want the entirety of "Engage the Enemy" from Xenoblade to play. No you can't skip it.

CaVaYeRo

- Manage and select several screens at once. 1080p60 png screens.

- Back to previous activity log, even if play hours is cool at profile page. Tell handheld/TV play time.

- Switch animation every time you, ehm, switch it on, and not just on first install.

- New free themes.

I'd love to be able to upload screenshots not to my Facebook or Twitter profile, but a (partnering?) image hosting platform, like imgur, abload, whatever ...

i hate having to jump through hoops by having to download from facebook / reupload to imgur screenshots just so i can embed/share them without doxxing myself :/
Try using IFTTT to automatically send any twitter shares to imgur.

That's what I mean. There're are a couple already. Bomberman and FAST RMX. I haven't played online yet, but I hear that FAST RMX isn't bad when played online.

People can argue about anything. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I just don't see how not having it is a detriment to they system. If the systems I own now (all last gen machines and current gen machines except XB1) didn't have that functionality it wouldn't get in the way of playing games on those systems online. I must have put in 400-500 hours into Mass Effect 3 multiplayer across multiple systems and never once used those features. If I wanted to play with a friend, I just called them or sent them a message via my phone. A few weeks ago I wanted to play Dragon Age on the PS4 with my friend. I see him online, and sent him a message via PSN. He never responded. I ended up getting out my phone and sending him a message via Message and got him instantly. He said the message I sent didn't show up until we were chatting together. Same sort of thing happened when I wanted to play games with friends on my Xbox 360. So the OS chat options just aren't worth it. Just send them a message via phone or call them on the phone and it's better. At least in my experience.

Look, I know I'm pretty much "old man yells at cloud" here, but I miss when consoles did one thing and did it well rather than a bunch of half-assed, unnecessary stuff. I don't care about ecosystems. When I'm done playing games, I turn the console off. I don't use it to check my social media or "engage with the platform." I play a game, then I turn it off. The ancillary shit is just not for me.
Too bad Nintendo is trying to sell to millions of potential customers who have grown accustomed to having certain features. What you do or don't do is irrelevant when trying to reach a broad spectrum of people. Comparisons with other system will not look favorable because it's missing a bunch of features.

chekhonte

I'd like to see:

Trophies
A display cabinet that shows off 3d models of any amiibo you've scanned and trophies
A better looking UI that shows the Miis you have on the system
customization of the look and backgrounds. Perhaps even having gyroscope support so the background shifts as you move the switch around
a comparison chart for you friends lists for trophies, games they have and amiibos like the ps4.
A nice jingle in the main menu background like maybe popular nintendo game tracks that change every month.
A nintendo news channel with upcoming switch 3rd and first party games, services etc.
Global settings for turning off things like gyro aiming in all games.
Not having to enter your CC every time you buy something on the store

Dremorak

Banned
Global settings for turning off things like gyro aiming in all games.

giphy.gif

Why would you want to do that?? On a system with Splatoon2 and even BOTW's aiming is improved so much with gyro. You wouldnt be able to yank chests out of the ground by flicking your hand up or anything :(

SFenton

I find it unlikely, but a dev mode like the Xbox One has would be fantastic.

I'd really love to play around with ideas for novel experiences that are unique on the road and in the dock, but I don't want to shell out for a dev kit (though I've heard they aren't expensive, I also don't have the credentials to get one).

Why would you want to do that?? On a system with Splatoon2 and even BOTW's aiming is improved so much with gyro. You wouldnt be able to yank chests out of the ground by flicking your hand up or anything :(

Well, I play with the pro controller, and if I fire and arrow and keep the bow out and lower the controller (as I am prone to do), then the game aims for me. I'm with a global turn-off option, but it really seems like this should be done on the game level, not the OS-level (e.g. there's some motion-necessary shrines you wouldn't want motion/gyro off for).

EDarkness

Too bad Nintendo is trying to sell to millions of potential customers who have grown accustomed to having certain features. What you do or don't do is irrelevant when trying to reach a broad spectrum of people. Comparisons with other system will not look favorable because it's missing a bunch of features.

It always depends on how important those features are to others. Sure, it's a gamble, but I think being able to play games should be first and foremost. Everything else is just fluff.

chekhonte

giphy.gif

It works in some instances but if you're trying to aim with the sticks, the motion controls completely put you at a disadvantage.

Dremorak

Banned
It works in some instances but if you're trying to aim with the sticks, the motion controls completely put you at a disadvantage.

Are you talking about Splatoon or BOTW? Cause in Zelda if you use the sticks to get you most of the way there and then use your hand it works really well. Admittedly I play 80% of the time in split joycon mode and I think it works better there. But thats also half the reason why I like playing in that mode.

chekhonte

Are you talking about Splatoon or BOTW? Cause in Zelda if you use the sticks to get you most of the way there and then use your hand it works really well. Admittedly I play 80% of the time in split joycon mode and I think it works better there. But thats also half the reason why I like playing in that mode.

I think the problem is derived from me resting the switch in my lap. It's not planted enough so any shaking screws up fine tune aiming and if I lift the switch to to fine tune the aim with motion controls now Link is looking straight up.

extralite

Friends list -> select username -> send invite to game

That's faster than calling or texting.

It will be just as easy to do that with the smartphone app. And they will see it, even if they don't have their console on. And when they turn it on, it will be on instantly. Anywhere. With their smartphone providing the hotspot for online play.

It's actually better to have all the communication ui on a device dedicated to communication. And it keeps you involved with the Switch, even when you're not playing with it. The friend system on PS4 and Xbox One fails to keep involving you once you turn the console off.

AaronMT86

Bluetooth headset support. But I can understand they don't want too many devices interfering with the JoyCons on the tiny Bluetooth chipset.

Small thing but it's cool how the system remembers headphone and speaker volume differently.

I'd like them to do a similar thing so my switch automatically goes into flight mode if it's isn't docked.

It's actually better to have all the communication ui on a device dedicated to communication. And it keeps you involved with the Switch, even when you're not playing with it. The friend system on PS4 and Xbox One fails to keep involving you once you turn the console off.
PlayStation/Xbox Apps available for iOS and Android.

Mr. F

Banned
Headset volume needs a higher range - max'd out it's still pretty quiet and essentially useless playing on the subway or on the bus.

When viewing a game in the eshop you must sign in with PW.

Want to view a different, there doesn't seem to be a way...at least docked to TV.

It takes you to home menu and then eshop making you enter PW again.

View different game? Same process. Home, open eshop and re enter PW....

This feedback loop is cumbersome and needs to be fixed. I should not have to sign in everyone I want to view 5 different game description of 5 different games each time, 1 by 1.

Makes sense now why the UI looks blurry. I think it scales to 1080 and outputs at 1080p cause I think I checked the "display" option on my tv and it said 1080p is being displayed but the UI is definitely being rendered at a lower resolution cause it's very obvious

Headset volume needs a higher range - max'd out it's still pretty quiet and essentially useless playing on the subway or on the bus.

I was at a relatively quiet waiting area of a car wash and could barely hear anything. Can't imagine being in a subway or a bus

Fliesen

Try using IFTTT to automatically send any twitter shares to imgur.

oooooh, that's a neat idea, thanks !

edit: I did Facebook (only me) uploads -> Dropbox folder.

There doesn't seem to be a way to get Facebook / Twitter -> imgur directly, but most of the time i wanna crop / edit the screenshot anyways.

If you get a Japanese (or other region) eShop account, your news feed will get both and there's no way to turn off just one feed. Please amend this. It shouldn't be too hard.

Do you use a Jitterbug for a cellphone?

:p

When do you guys think we'll get a new update with some substantial additions in it?

Also, side note, I actually like having the newsfeed be a mixed mishmash of multilingual entries.

sfried

-Menu Music
-better eShop layout (could be more of webfront than anything)
-eShop ability to save Credit Card information for quicker purchases
-eShop ability to use Paypal
-my Nintendo username Friend invites
-built-in browser
-ability to save in PNG, as well as being able to upload it via webbrowser (such as to sites like imgur)
-ability to save video clips and upload it to sites like youtube, and also without need of having it stored onto Flash/SD memory (although option to save it should be there)
-ability to manually manage data content via local PC via wifi a la new3DS

-Nintendo online app (for messaging friends, voice chat, lobbies) should also be available as a downloadable program for Switch

Other than the things I've been clamouring for since day one, like a fully featured activity log, from my experience with Zelda—and specifically, taking over 600 screenshots with the Capture button in Zelda—I want to see more photo uploading options that aren't tied to social networks (though adding a wider selection of third-party networks/sites would be a welcome alternative). I want to share screenshots on the web as easily and non-intrusively as I did using Miiverse or Imgur (through the browser) on the Wii U, and I don't want to pollute the social media accounts that I do want to link to my Nintendo account for future friend-finding purposes.

The leanness of the OS doesn't bother me otherwise, since it's clearly built for easy multitasking without interruption of communications or play (as I tested in the Splatoon Testfire earlier today; you can mess around in the OS at your leisure while waiting in a match lobby). But a musical identity for services like the eShop, even a rotating one like on the Wii U, would be grand. And eShop search/navigation will need a revision very soon as the software library expands, though I think that can probably handled entirely on the server side. I would expect menu music to eventually make its way into premium OS themes anyway, if the 3DS is any precedent.

The sooner we hear about save data backup/transfer, the better, but the Wii U never delivered a proper solution to this either.

Oh, and one more thing: motion pointing for onscreen keyboard entry.

I'm really shocked that Nintendo didn't incorporate some trophy / achievement system called "Stickers"...and have the interface be a sticker book or something akin to that.

spekkeh

Banned
10-times-we-felt-really-awkward-during-the-new-nintendo-switch-ad.jpg

Yo Nintendo, this right here is what sells your console. So how about making it work FFS? Allow WiFi connections with a username already.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
- The most basic and essential: a way (anything!) to back up your saves. Cloud or sd, hopefully both.
- Activity log, was very useful on WiiU and 3DS
- Messaging to friends, option to send screenshots. The only use of the friend list now is seeing what everyone's playing.
- There should be a friend activity feed as well, like if you want to share a screen but don't want to use twitter or fb. Stripped down version of Miiverse. Like on PSN and Steam I like to see what people on my fl are playing
- Some basic apps, like youtube

Before anything else there really needs to be a save backup option though.

Top Bottom