• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch accessories (Hori/Officially licensed by Nintendo)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I saw it but i don't think it's the high quality one, plus having a backup is always a good thing.

You are right. They have two models a normal screen protector and then a higher end premium cover. Might get that if I can find a decent carry case. I really want the most minimal thing I can get. Still disappointed there aren't any magnetic smart covers.

PSqueak

Banned
Does the base come with ethernet port? If not wtf, it's 2017 no excuse what so ever.

It's 2017 and the only thing i have hooked up to an ethernet cable is my main PC....because its wifi is busted.

Hasn't been a problem playing online for my Wiiu, 360, 3ds or PS4.

_Ryo_

Pretty much every internet connected multimedia device related to home entertainment (Smart TVs/Blu ray players/game systems/consoles) have an Ethernet port in them.

The ones that don't are usually due to size restrictions (phones/tablets) but their docks often do (See: Surface Pro)

It's not a huge crime to omit it but "it's 2017 no one uses Ethernet" is just an excuse for leaving something out that truthfully would cost them cents to throw in. There are all different types of home arrangements and in many situations the wifi connectivity may be poor or significantly compromised compared to a hardwired solution, especially when you are dealing with high performance connections like 100MBPS+ (if you don't have 5ghz wifi support, then you quite possibly get far less than that which is where cat5 saves the day)

So no it's not a deal breaker but it's also not really nothing either. It's just a bit baffling.

. exactly. Also I don't think anyone should have to pay what will likely be 30$-60$ to add such a basic feature.

Papacheeks

Banned
The Shield tablet doesn't have an Ethernet port. It uses an adapter.

rmzAM3V.png

Unless you're expecting an Ethernet port on the device itself, it has to be routed through the USB-C port just like the video signal. So I guess you want the adapter to be built into the dock, possibly making it more expensive for everybody who's not using that functionality?

I wasn't talking about the tablet if you read my actual posts instead of being reactionary I said if the device was mobile only I understand that it be wifi only. The shield unit not the tablet has a ethernet port both the 2015 model and the new to be released 2017 model.

You mean this ethernet port on the old model:

shield-console-back.jpg

Oh and here's the 2017 model with the ethernet port:

15-351-008-V03.jpg

Taken from newegg product page.

Air

Banned
I mean, I feel the bolded just isn't true at all.

The only major wired thing they've really needed was the nunchuk for the Wii. Even know the nunchuk is wireless for the switch lol. GameCube was their last generation where wired controllers or communication between their consoles was a thing. Wii was mostly wireless, Wii u console was wireless, switch will be wireless.

Edit: I'm talking about recent times. Should have put that in my original post

Muzicfreq

Banned
People are fine with wifi?

Few things
Not as reliable and sometimes you end up in super lagtastic situations.
Then you would want them to be wired but that would cost them $10-$20 more for something that's like 10pennies in parts to include....

Options exist for a reason.
Also who is to say the wifi in this is going to be AC wifi or be any better than the ps4 wifi... Ugh that one sucks or even worse vita wifi...

At least the base should have a wired option

LordRaptor

Comparing an ethernet port to "fax machine" is beyond stupid.

There's no question that an ethernet port provides more reliable internet connectivity than wifi.

I'm laughing at the IN 2017 comments, like ethernet isnt a withered technology.

No CompactFlash port

IN 2017

brad-t

Interesting that Zelda is the only design they have. Almost gives me some hope the game might launch alongside the console. Though I would also expect something Splatoon, maybe that isn't a launch game then. New Mario renders probably are completely not allowed at this point, even if that's also a big launch rumor.

Almost? You're delusional if you think Zelda isn't a launch title at this point. It's on the in-store promos!

Papacheeks

Banned
I said Shield tablet, not Shield TV. Guess which one is more relevant to this device's form factor?

You didn't read my post and the actual unit that nvidia just showed at CES is the base unit that comes with a controller and has ethernet port. If you read my previous posts you would know I was talking about the base units as I understood mobile devices like tablet would use wifi like they have.

Switch has a base like the shield does. It's both, so why would't you for the console part of it have an ethernet port? They have a HDMI on the base unit to go to the tv why not a ethernet?

bman94

It's a ridiculous amount of people in this thread who thinks that Pokken was made for Arcade Sticks. They even made a special controller that looks like the Arcade Controller for the Wii U.

I'm still stubborn to the thought that Pokken isn't coming to the Switch. There's no easy way of porting that game without fucking up screen space.

Cartridges
IN 2017

Falchion

That controller looks awful, I've been spoiled by the Xbox one I guess. Having a car charger would be clutch though.

Compsiox

Banned
The most exciting accessory on that list is this...

I bought a few of these for my Vita and 3DS games and they are so awesome. I dunno why but just really like these things. I like looking at it, I like touching it, I live the convenience of it. I don't even mind buying games anymore without original cases as all my games immediately go in them. Also Hori accessories are almost always very high quality, on par or better than Nintendo's.

Damn those cartridges will be big huh

Muzicfreq

Banned
Imagine playing online when suddenly you need to use the bathroom. Good luck using the ethernet there.
Because most people play games with their nasty ass fingers while taking a shit... Take the shit wash your hands and get back to where you were.

Fucking nasty

sanstesy

Getting upset about no ethernet port is reasonable. Simultaneously there is also nothing crazy about a device releasing in 2017 having no ethernet port.

psyfi

Banned
That controller looks awful, I've been spoiled by the Xbox one I guess. Having a car charger would be clutch though.
This is a third party controller. They're never good.

The official Switch Pro Controller won't be as good as the XB1 controller either, though.

Neoxon

It's a ridiculous amount of people in this thread who thinks that Pokken was made for Arcade Sticks. They even made a special controller that looks like the Arcade Controller for the Wii U.

I'm still stubborn to the thought that Pokken isn't coming to the Switch. There's no easy way of porting that game without fucking up screen space.

Cartridges
IN 2017
Then what of the 4 new characters?

What's the problem with cartridges?

I wasn't talking about the tablet if you read my actual posts instead of being reactionary I said if the device was mobile only I understand that it be wifi only. The shield unit not the tablet has a ethernet port both the 2015 model and the new to be released 2017 model.

You mean this ethernet port on the old model:

shield-console-back.jpg

Oh and here's the 2017 model with the ethernet port:

15-351-008-V03.jpg

Taken from newegg product page.

The sheild tv is a fairly niche product aimed at a market segment that a higher proportion of users will likely use an ethernet port than will bother using one on a more mainstream console

Soroc

I gotta say though, starting to get super excited, always fun when new hardware is revealed. We almost there GAF!

Papacheeks

Banned
Getting upset about no ethernet port is reasonable. Simultaneously there is also nothing crazy about a device releasing in 2017 having no ethernet port.

If it was mobile I understand but even the newest apple tv's, roku's understand ethernet port's will always have a more consistent connection unless the users are using AC adapters which people with laptops dont all have.

Papacheeks

Banned
The sheild tv is a fairly niche product aimed at a market segment that a higher proportion of users will likely use an ethernet port than will bother using one on a more mainstream console

So is steam link niche as well because guess what ....it has a ethernet port.

Baleoce

The elephant in the room is that the decision to omit the native ethernet is not likely for design philosophy reasons, or because it would drive up cost per unit, which it wouldn't. It's solely because they know they can make a good amount of money once again on the peripheral. That's what Nintendo do. Their biggest returns are through software and peripherals.

phants

Thanks banana the dog pile was fucking ridiculous in here. I agree is it was just the tablet I would understand wifi only, but to not include something so mainstream in 2017 is legit got me upset because i have to pay an extra 20 bucks for something that other companies include as a standard.

You know nothing is free, right? If it's included, EVERYONE PAYS FOR IT. Most of us don't want it. Excluding it and making an adaptor available for those that do want it is the right call; the user pays, the rest don't. I'd like to see MORE of this kind of decision making going into console development, not less.

phants

The elephant in the room is that the decision to omit the native ethernet is not likely for design philosophy reasons, or because it would drive up cost per unit, which it wouldn't.

Of course it would! Not by lots, sure, but it definitely would increase costs. How on earth could it not?

Top Bottom