• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch accessories (Hori/Officially licensed by Nintendo)

AgeEighty

You know nothing is free, right? If it's included, EVERYONE PAYS FOR IT. Most of us don't want it. Excluding it and making an adaptor available for those that do want it is the right call; the user pays, the rest don't. I'd like to see MORE of this kind of decision making going into console development, not less.

Agreed. For a niche feature like Ethernet, release an adapter. It's only $10-20, and the rest of us don't have to subsidize the few who want it.

Also why are Hori using"Nintendo seal of quality" from US with EU prices?
So, I had a quick look and judging from a few Hori accessories for the 3DS and WiiU, and it seems that Hori's been using the oval seal for their products for a while. The fact that matches with the document (instead of using the circular Seal of Quality that you'd expect for an EU product) I would file as evidence that this is a genuine leak.

You didn't read my post and the actual unit that nvidia just showed at CES is the base unit that comes with a controller and has ethernet port. If you read my previous posts you would know I was talking about the base units as I understood mobile devices like tablet would use wifi like they have.

Switch has a base like the shield does. It's both, so why would't you for the console part of it have an ethernet port? They have a HDMI on the base unit to go to the tv why not a ethernet?

My point is that the Switch's dock is not like the Shield TV, or "base unit" as you call it, because the actual hardware is not in the dock. Looking at the patent, what the dock has is USB-C input from the Switch, conversion from DisplayPort signal to HDMI, exposing some USB ports, and supplying power to the Switch. What you propose would be to put the functionality of the adapter into the dock (which costs money), and potentially remove one of the USB ports in the process. You can't just add an Ethernet port directly because the main hardware is not in the dock, nor does the main unit have an Ethernet port (and rightfully so).

ZeroX03

Banned
That Deluxe Travel Case is absolutely fantastic but no way i'll pay 60€ for it.

That's AUD not USD, the US equivalent price would be around $40.

So is steam link niche as well because guess what ....it has a ethernet port.

Lmao, oh you.

Technology should be going forward, not back. It's like going back to bicycles when we now have cars.

Technology is going forward. Carts are very much superior to discs in this situation.

Plum

Technology should be going forward, not back. It's like going back to bicycles when we now have cars.

What's forward? Because in this case cartridges are just proprietery flash storage which is perhaps the most modern form of storage out there.

U_Know_Me

I'm OK with no ethernet port just as long as we can still use a USB ethernet adapter.

Edit: I didn't see the adapter in the pic. Sucks we lose a USB to have a wired connection.

The elephant in the room is that the decision to omit the native ethernet is not likely for design philosophy reasons, or because it would drive up cost per unit, which it wouldn't. It's solely because they know they can make a good amount of money once again on the peripheral. That's what Nintendo do. Their biggest returns are through software and peripherals.

It'd drive up costs to nintendo, maybe only 50p a unit but if they sell 50 million switches thats 25 million quid

Hmmm ...I'll take all of it! Well, some. That Ethernet jack adapter price is killing me. I like HORI though, I've had good luck with their products.

ZeroX03

Banned
I expect all Switch hardware accessories to be overpriced. Call it the Tablet Premium. Also 20$ is still too much for what should be standard.

If it's anything like the Wii and Wii U, the accessories won't be proprietary. You can use any ethernet adapter you want at any price.

bman94

I expect all Switch hardware accessories to be overpriced. Call it the Tablet Premium. Also 20$ is still too much for what should be standard.

I really don't get the tablet comparisons. Literally nothing about this device aside from aesthetics make it seem anything close to a tablet.

Neoxon

Then answer this, how do you expect Nintendo to do discs for something that's meant to be taken on the go? That plus cartridges have their benefits (faster load times, no need for game installs, etc.), & now they've caught up to discs in storage size. Hell, cartridge may not be the best word for what the Switch uses. Flash memory would be a more apt term.

Ethernet is niche now? What? Hollyshit the goal posts in this thread.

It is simply true, though? Especially the established Nintendo consumer has never had one. It is definitely not a major issue.
For reference, both Nintendo and Xbox will now have analog triggers, finally.
I don't see any 'it's 2017, SONY' threads, and there shouldn't be because sometimes details like that aren't worth even this post that I've just written!

phants

It will almost certainly be a USB-C to Ethernet adapter, which is / will be a commodity item from all sorts of vendors; you won't be locked in to Nintendo-branded accessories. I suspect you'll be able to get one from Aliexpress.com for a couple of bucks shipped to your door by the time you need one.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah, it is. It isn't widely used enough to be otherwise. And I don't see how I can be said to have moved goalposts when I haven't been part of this debate.

Saying ethernet is niche is legit trolling. This device has a dock that has usb, and a HDMI to convert the signal for your tv, not having a ethernet port make no sense what so ever for a console that can also be used on the go.

If the switch was just the hand held it would make sense but in this day and age where there are tv type consoles, and streaming boxes that are like mini entertainment hubs there's no excuse when so many companies and devices have it as a standard.

Franz Brötchen;228044198 said:
It is simply true, though? Especially the established Nintendo consumer has never had one. It is definitely not a major issue.
For reference, both Nintendo and Xbox will now have analog triggers, finally.
I don't see any 'it's 2017, SONY' threads, and there shouldn't be because sometimes details like that aren't worth even this post that I've just written!

That is not even remotley close to a good example, those features are just added things for controls, ethernet is for almost everything that has to do with delivery of content, updates, stream quality etc. It's a standard for internet delivery triggers are not a standard.

antonz

Modern "Cartridges" are better than Disc in pretty much every way. A Disc is why you need massive installs on PS4/XBO so that they can read data and do things faster than the disc drive allows.

These "Cartridges" can have Transfer speeds upto like 90MB/s versus 27MB/s of the PS4.

The elephant in the room is that the decision to omit the native ethernet is not likely for design philosophy reasons, or because it would drive up cost per unit, which it wouldn't. It's solely because they know they can make a good amount of money once again on the peripheral. That's what Nintendo do. Their biggest returns are through software and peripherals.
Except it's not proprietary so you don't even have to buy the "Official Nintendo LAN adaptor". (Do they even still make that?) If that's what they were thinking with the decision then they didn't think it through very clearly...

Saying ethernet is niche is legit trolling. This device has a dock that has usb, and a HDMI to convert the signal for your tv, not having a ethernet port make no sense what so ever for a console that can also be used on the go.

If the switch was just the hand held it would make sense but in this day and age where there are tv type consoles, and streaming boxes that are like mini entertainment hubs there's no excuse when so many companies and devices have it as a standard.

adjective
adjective: niche
denoting or relating to products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population.

Neoxon

That's actually what I was going for; I didn't consider that anyone was going to take that post seriously.
That being said, advancements in technology have made it to where flash memory is technologically superior to discs. The only major benefit that discs have is that they're cheaper to produce, & even then you have to consider the cost of the disc drive in the console.. For the Switch, flash memory was the only option in terms of physical media.

Rodin

Sure. Here's what discs look like in your example tho

21E200602b.jpg

That's actually what I was going for; I didn't consider that anyone was going to take that post seriously.

Eh, it's not like there are few people who troll on the cards vs discs argument.

Mechazawa

Agreed. For a niche feature like Ethernet, release an adapter. It's only $10-20, and the rest of us don't have to subsidize the few who want it.

You know nothing is free, right? If it's included, EVERYONE PAYS FOR IT. Most of us don't want it. Excluding it and making an adaptor available for those that do want it is the right call; the user pays, the rest don't. I'd like to see MORE of this kind of decision making going into console development, not less.

How much do you guys think an ethernet port would even add to the cost of a console?

More importantly, you guys are missing the point of it being included in every console. The more accessible it is to the consumer, the more likely a segment of the population is to use it(as opposed to it being quarantined off as some accessory add-on the vast, vast majority of people would ignore), the less likely you probably are to run into users experiencing network hiccups from wifi interference.

The rising tide lifts all boats, boys.

Worth noting: the only Zelda product that has a date (of March 2017) is also the only product in this list that's priced in USD and has an English description. All the other products are priced in Euros, has French descriptions, and does not have a release date mentioned.

Conspiracy theory time: would this be an indication that the Switch itself would be delayed in Europe (as a result of the Zelda delay)?

Papacheeks

Banned
How much do you guys think an ethernet port would even add to the cost of a console?

More importantly, you guys are missing the point of it being included in every console. The more accessible it is to the consumer, the more likely a segment of the population is to use it(as opposed to it being quarantined off as some accessory add-on the vast, vast majority of people would ignore), the less likely you probably are to run into users experiencing network hiccups from wifi interference.

Good luck trying to get through to anyone in this thread. I'm done.

Wifi gaf has won.

Worth noting: the only Zelda product that has a date (of March 2017) is also the only product in this list that's priced in USD and has an English description. All the other products are priced in Euros, has French descriptions, and does not have a release date mentioned.

Conspiracy theory time: would this be an indication that the Switch itself would be delayed in Europe (as a result of the Zelda delay)?

More like, only Zelda is delayed

Do not even fucking suggest that, there will be blood

AgeEighty

I don't agree. Use of Ethernet has been falling year by year. Just because something has been a "standard" in the past doesn't mean it has to continue to be so indefinitely. And again: you can use Ethernet if you want to; you just have to pay a little more. Your issue isn't that Switch doesn't have the capability, it's that you don't think you, as a user of a feature few other people use, should have to pay for it alone. That's a self-centered point of view.

Plum

Scroll down a bit more. There's 3 seperate BotW accessories in French with Euros as the currency.

Even with it as an option the vast majority would still use wifi

Teletraan1

Banned
An Ethernet port goes against the point of the Switch in the first place.

Isn't the dock there to facilitate the ability to act like a console. They could have included an ethernet port in the design of the dock if they wanted. I don't think anyone is suggesting an ethernet port right on the handheld device. Whatever challenges of moving a device from a ethernet connection to a wireless one seamlessly if that is even possible will still exist with an adapter that is just going to be plugged into the dock's usb.

Top Bottom