• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch accessories (Hori/Officially licensed by Nintendo)

Madao

i already have a Wii U ethernet adapter so i'm set on that. just unplug from the Wii U and plug to the Switch dock.

now i want to see if Wii U Pro controllers are compatible with the Switch...

It's a ridiculous amount of people in this thread who thinks that Pokken was made for Arcade Sticks. They even made a special controller that looks like the Arcade Controller for the Wii U.

I'm still stubborn to the thought that Pokken isn't coming to the Switch. There's no easy way of porting that game without fucking up screen space.

Cartridges
IN 2017

Huh?

I guess the most important thing to look at from Nintendo is by not having the Ethernet port there they can make a lot more money from people buying it as an accessory than putting it into the dock.

Do not even fucking suggest that, there will be blood

845d0afa.gif

And while I'm talking about seals of quality, this leak is Laura Kate Dale approved.

Scroll down a bit more. There's 3 seperate BotW accessories in French with Euros as the currency.

None of the BotW French accessories has a date, though. Indeed, the English language sticker is the only accessory here that has a date.

Vidiot

I think/hope the bike thing was a joke. Like it's fine to be using cartridges because obviously it's fine to still use a bike.

That is not even remotley close to a good example, those features are just added things for controls, ethernet is for almost everything that has to do with delivery of content, updates, stream quality etc. It's a standard for internet delivery triggers are not a standard.

Oh boy, really? Ethernet is standard for internet nowadays?
Come to think of it, it would explain those school children having those yellow cables and a cable drum with them in their bags on the train...
You are legit trolling right now, especially because you said a standard just like Wifi is a standard that the Switch ostensibly has, even out of the dock.
You'd be right to see it as Nintendo being cheap and/or going the succesful Apple route in making people buy adapters. But this is just stupid to discuss so long, I feel sad for having become dumber just now :(

Ask how many PC users, core multiplayer players who are serious into gaming use wifi?
That is either classic goal post moving and or both trolling.

For screen protection, I'm going with the liquid armor unless they have a tempered glass protector available on or shortly after launch.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't agree. Use of Ethernet has been falling year by year. Just because something has been a "standard" in the past doesn't mean it has to continue to be so indefinitely. And again: you can use Ethernet if you want to; you just have to pay a little more. Your issue isn't that Switch doesn't have the capability, it's that you don't think you, as a user of a feature few other people use, should have to pay for it alone. That's a self-centered point of view.

Tons of people use ethernet on their consoles I guarantee you that, PS4's original wifi chip sucked balls.

Ask how many PC users, core multiplayer players who are serious into gaming use wifi?

Plum

None of the BotW French accessories has a date, though. Indeed, the English language sticker is the only accessory here that has a date.

None of the French accessories have a date. If there was a delay for the entire system why wouldn't it be on here? It's an internal document not intended for use in general advertising, what need would they have to hide essential info like that intentionally?

AgeEighty

Tons of people use ethernet on their consoles I guarantee you that, PS4's original wifi chip sucked balls.

I believe it's a lot fewer than you think it is.

What does that have to do with Switch? Do you actually think the people you're describing—min-maxing spec hound PC master racers—are going to form a significant chunk of the Switch userbase? Or that they form a significant chunk of the gaming population at large, for that matter?

Soroc

I am curious now on the ethernet vs wifi usage argument. I myself doubt that ethernet is "niche". Sure it probably has been surpassed in usage by wifi but I'd love to know usage stats.

Does steam have stats on this? Looking from a pure gaming population that encompasses both laptops and desktop machines, I'm curious if Steam has stats on ethernet vs wireless usage. Does anyone know?

Papacheeks

Banned
Franz Brötchen;228044870 said:
Oh boy, really? Ethernet is standard for internet nowadays?
Come to think of it, it would explain those school children having those yellow cables and a cable drum with them in their bags on the train...
You are legit trolling right now, especially because you said a standard just like Wifi is a standard that the Switch ostensibly has, even out of the dock.
You'd be right to see it as Nintendo being cheap and/or going the succesful Apple route in making people buy adapters. But this is just stupid to discuss so long, I feel sad for having become dumber just now :(

If ethernet isn't a standard guess my TV station doesn't need grouped LAG connections for our NAS. We should just switch to everything to AC connections right?

I am curious now on the ethernet vs wifi usage argument. I myself doubt that ethernet is "niche". Sure it probably has been surpassed in usage by wifi but I'd love to know usage stats.

Does steam have stats on this? Looking from a pure gaming population that encompasses both laptops and desktop machines, I'm curious if Steam has stats on ethernet vs wireless usage. Does anyone know?

ofcourse its niche, at best the vast majority of homes with a router will most likely only use one ethernet port for the closest computer assuming the router is at the computer desk,

I don't agree. Use of Ethernet has been falling year by year. Just because something has been a "standard" in the past doesn't mean it has to continue to be so indefinitely. And again: you can use Ethernet if you want to; you just have to pay a little more. Your issue isn't that Switch doesn't have the capability, it's that you don't think you, as a user of a feature few other people use, should have to pay for it alone. That's a self-centered point of view.

Backing you up here.

Wifi has sucked... horribly for me comparitive to Ethernet. Especially on a good PC as you say since the speeds you can actually utilize while downloading or otherwise are much faster (I download at 20-25MBps over ethernet. On my PS4 Pro, I'm lucky to get like 8MBps . I have reasonably fast internet speeds (~150Mbps), and I have one of the new high end Asus routers. Even with 5ghz connection and the devices being relatively close. The speed and ping are not comparable.

L Thammy

The only way for Pokken to work with the Switch would be to have the split screen half like an old racing game, thus taking away a lot of player screen space.

Can't it do portable style multiplayer with multiple Switches where every player has something different displayed on their screen?

Mechazawa

Even with it as an option the vast majority would still use wifi

I don't know what percentile of people with a non-Nintendo console use ethernet v. wifi, but I'm willing to bet there is a GIANT drop off when you push one option off as a paid add-on.

And that's the point. There's always going to be a ton of people using wifi, but you can mitigate that(as you should want to) by just including an ethernet port by default.

Soroc

Wii U doesn't support this keep in mind, in some cases my Wii U will refuses to reconnect to same network if there is a drop out. Have to manually go all the way into settings

Thats not entirely surprising with how terrible that entire OS is.

I couldn't even use an adapter with the Wii U since my external HDD required both usb ports to power the damn thing.

Papacheeks

Banned
ofcourse its niche, at best the vast majority of homes with a router will most likely only use one ethernet port for the closest computer assuming the router is at the computer desk,

What about people who use time warner and the likes where they wire it in with the cable which usually is near the entertainment center.

That's where they would use wired because all of their devices hooked to their tv or entertainment center would benefit from using it.

Backing you up here.

Wifi has sucked... horribly for me comparitive to Ethernet. Especially on a good PC as you say since the speeds you can actually utilize while downloading or otherwise are much faster (I download at 20-25MBps over ethernet. On my PS4 Pro, I'm lucky to get like 8MBps . I have reasonably fast internet speeds (~150Mbps), and I have one of the new high end Asus routers. Even with 5ghz connection and the devices being relatively close. The speed and ping are not comparable.

even with if you had the ps4 pro hooked up to ethernet, it wouldnt be much better

AgeEighty

Backing you up here.

That sucks, but fortunately, you have the option of using Ethernet with Switch.

bman94

Can't it do portable style multiplayer with multiple Switches where every player has something different displayed on their screen?

From what we seen yes, but that means to get the full experience (granted the Wii U version was flawd in this aspect) you would need two consoles and two copies of the game. With the Wii U version you just need one copy of the game to enjoy multiplayer adequately. Pokken on Switch in docked mode means players looking at the TV with split screen perspectives.

Matt

What about people who use time warner and the likes where they wire it in with the cable which usually is near the entertainment center.

That's where they would use wired because all of their devices hooked to their tv or entertainment center would benefit from using it.
Honestly most of them probably use WiFi too.

Soroc

That doesn't answer my question although I understand your point. But to call it niche I'd expect 1-3% usage compared to say 30% usage hardwired. Just throwing it out there if Steam has this information published since they can collect a lot of data on their users.

I think Steam is a good indicator here due to laptops and desktop usage.

Teletraan1

Banned
I just don't like that they make you choose network performance or looks. Build a sleek box and then have it look like shit with all these garish adapters hanging out instead of just an ethernet port hidden in the back with the HDMI. Much easier cable management without the thing looking like an octopus. But people will defend anything as long as Nintendo saves a buck.

sanstesy

That doesn't answer my question although I understand your point. But to call it niche I'd expect 1-3% usage compared to say 30% usage hardwired. Just throwing it out there if Steam has this information published since they can collect a lot of data on their users.

Ethernet port usage on Steam, which is a platform on a computer, is in no way comparable to a console. It is a really bad indicator.

Papacheeks

Banned
I just don't like that they make you choose network performance or looks. Build a sleek box and then have it look like shit with all these garish adapters hanging out instead of just an ethernet port hidden in the back with the HDMI. Much easier cable management without the thing looking like an octopus. But people will defend anything as long as Nintendo saves a buck.

Yup!

zewone

I'd be surprised if ethernet use was anywhere near 30% on consoles.

I'd guess under 10%.

even with if you had the ps4 pro hooked up to ethernet, it wouldnt be much better

I do have my PS4 pro hooked up to ethernet as well. You're right that the Ethernet port on it just isn't very good. But at least it lowers ping. Speeds don't change much on it though, on PC it's a big difference though.

In the vast majority of homes the computer is a laptop, the router is by the phone socket and there's nothing plugged into it (only thing in mine is a femtocell thats not actually being used any more)

None of the French accessories have a date. If there was a delay for the entire system why wouldn't it be on here? It's an internal document not intended for use in general advertising, what need would they have to hide essential info like that intentionally?

The fact that the sole US accessory in the leak (the BotW decal set) has a date attached to it, and the rest of the accessories (which are intended for the EU market) lack a date is the reason why the conspiracy theory (the Switch gets delayed in the EU lock, stock and barrell) is rattling around in my head. Now, I'll freely admit that's the sole scrap of evidence for this theory, and I expect this theory will be disproven by the end of this week, but still. Makes you think, innit.

Soroc

Ethernet port usage on Steam, which is a platform on a computer, is in no way comparable to a console. It is a really bad indicator.

My point was looking at a gaming population of a platform that both supports a wireless device (laptops) and wired devices.

L Thammy

From what we seen yes, but that means to get the full experience (granted the Wii U version was flawd in this aspect) you would need two consoles and two copies of the game. With the Wii U version you just need one copy of the game to enjoy multiplayer adequately. Pokken on Switch in docked mode means players looking at the TV with split screen perspectives.

Fair enough. Isn't Pokken supposed to have a fairly barebones single player mode? I guess it'll be a Crystal Chronicles type of situation.

Top Bottom