• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavyOO7

I hope we get to see a remake of DQ9 on Switch. Never got to do multiplayer when I had the chance. Just have it online and I'm gucci...

LordKano

Now that I think about it, I should maybe add Pikmin 4 since both Eurogamer and Emily Rogers listed it as a first-year game, even though we got no report from LVPG ?

It still seems insanely batty that we are likely not getting a D-Pad capable controller out of the box. That's the only real misstep I'm seeing with the Switch.

Those buttons look really insufficient for proper non-analogue directional control of 2D games. I'm hoping that they include another JoyCon in the box that has a real D-Pad because those buttons seem so limiting.

The D-Pad is arguably the biggest and most important innovation in Nintendo's history. It's an iconic part of their legacy. I just can't fathom their decision to go without it in the default package.

As someone who played Turok fully with the C-buttons (as originally intended), it's something you will get used to fairly quickly.

Lol.

So, what's left in terms of new games from Nintendo to announce. We've got Retros game and Monolith Softs game atleast.

Emily's new IP too. I'd imagine an Animal Crossing is coming soon too, and likely a Fire Emblem spinoff (to coincide with their mobile entries).

Edit: By Emily's new IP I mean the one that she said is similar to Splatoon, not that she is making a game haha

DMONKUMA

Emily's new IP too. I'd imagine an Animal Crossing is coming soon too, and likely a Fire Emblem spinoff (to coincide with their mobile entries).

Isn't Pikmin 4 another rumored title?

About 6 titles from first party that could be left and then there's still third parties......I'd imagine platinum would show off a game for Nintendo.

Taker666

It still seems insanely batty that we are likely not getting a D-Pad capable controller out of the box. That's the only real misstep I'm seeing with the Switch.

Those buttons look really insufficient for proper non-analogue directional control of 2D games. I'm hoping that they include another JoyCon in the box that has a real D-Pad because those buttons seem so limiting.

The D-Pad is arguably the biggest and most important innovation in Nintendo's history. It's an iconic part of their legacy. I just can't fathom their decision to go without it in the default package.

They certainly won't do that given the additional costs.

The best we can hope for is the joycons aren't final and they'll allow you to 'switch' around components like analogue sticks/ buttons etc as one patent had ..

...or they'll sell separate joycons with different arrangements (I'd like one with a d-pad and another with the right analogue at the top so the sticks are symmetrical like the Wii U).

..but I won't be holding my breath either way.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Supposedly not all hardware features of Nintendo Switch have been revealed. I am wondering if the SCD could be one of those features.

14c81851-1i5qns.png

Some takeaways from the patent:

[0025] In the illustrated example, the game console 102 includes one or more processors 202, memory 204, one or more communication interfaces 206, one or more user-control interfaces 208 (e.g., to communicate with the remote control 110), and one or more power supplies 210. Each processor 202 may itself comprise one or more processors or processing cores. For example, the processor 202 can be implemented as one or more microprocessors, microcomputers, microcontrollers, graphics processing unit (GPU), digital signal processors, central processing units, state machines, logic circuitries, and/or any devices that manipulate signals based on operational instructions. In some cases, the processor 202 may be one or more hardware processors and/or logic circuits of any suitable type specifically programmed or configured to execute the algorithms and processes described herein. The processor 202 can be configured to fetch and execute computer-readable processor-executable instructions stored in the memory 204.

[0026] Depending on the configuration of the game console 102, the memory 204 may be an example of tangible non-transitory computer storage media and may include volatile and nonvolatile memory and/or removable and non-removable media implemented in any type of technology for storage of information such as computer-readable processor-executable instructions, data structures, program modules or other data. The memory 204 may include, but is not limited to, RAM, ROM, EEPROM, flash memory, solid-state storage, magnetic disk storage, optical storage, and/or other computer-readable media technology. Further, in some cases, the game console 102 may access external storage, such as RAID storage systems, storage arrays, network attached storage, storage area networks, cloud storage, or any other medium that can be used to store information and that can be accessed by the processor 202 directly or through another computing device or network. Accordingly, the memory 204 may be computer storage media able to store instructions, modules or components that may be executed by the processor 202. Further, when mentioned, non-transitory computer-readable media exclude media such as energy, carrier signals, electromagnetic waves, and signals per se.

[0027] The memory 204 may be used to store and maintain any number of functional components that are executable by the processors 202. In some implementations, these functional components comprise instructions or programs that are executable by the processors 202 and that, when executed, implement operational logic for performing the actions and services attributed to the game console 102. Functional components of the game console 102 stored in the memory 204 may include audio and/or video drivers 212 for output game content on a display, speakers or the like, a supplemental processing module 214, and game data 216.
What the Nintendo Switch Dock and Nintendo Switch Console incorporate respectively can be debated, but I think the drawing can represent a scenario involving Switch and an SCD. I think personally it is a too good idea to waste.

I could see Mr. Kimishima in January talking about the technical specifications of Switch and delivering something like this:

Tatsumi Kimishima said:
For the past three decades we have relied on explorations in efficiency when designing, developing and deploying our systems rather than using a costly and complex traditional agenda that likely would have provided little novelty. However, compute/memory/network/storage resources have traditionally remained static throughout machine lifetime, with known ramifications in terms of evolution. With this in mind, we have carefully considered the kinds of unique contributions Nintendo can provide in this context, and I would like to present today a very important milestone: The Supplemental Computing Device (SCD).

The SCD works in connection with the Nintendo Switch Dock/Console to increase the speed or quality of a user's gaming experience. Furthermore, users will be able to share the processing resources of the SCD which can provide rewards in the form of discounts on games, access to certain game content, points for redemption for digital or physical goods, badges on social media, to name a few things. And that is just the beginning. We are planning on launching the SCD by year end, exact dates and pricing will be made available at a later date. However, at our Nintendo Switch Experience Meeting tomorrow, you will be able to see tangible results as the SCD will be available for demonstration on the show floor. For now, please take a look at this introductory video.

Waji

All these leaks are killing my hype for the January event.
As long as I don't have my Monolithsoft teaser trailer my hype never dies.
And after, it just gets stronger. That's convenient.

It's probably the first time in my life I feel hype for a new system.
Want to see that Mario 3D, how Splatoon evolve and just how everything goes.
If Nintendo comes back on the scene it could balance things better.
I'm tired of how things are since a few years.

Edit: By Emily's new IP I mean the one that she said is similar to Splatoon, not that she is making a game haha
Yeah, I forgot about the new IP!

Rösti;224931372 said:
Supposedly not all hardware features of Nintendo Switch have been revealed. I am wondering if the SCD could be one of those features.

Some takeaways from the patent:

What the Nintendo Switch Dock and Nintendo Switch Console incorporate respectively can be debated, but I think the drawing can represent a scenario involving Switch and an SCD. I think personally it is a too good idea to waste.

I could see Mr. Kimishima in January talking about the technical specifications of Switch and delivering something like this:

My current funky theory about SCDs (at least the first iteration) is that they will function as local cloud storage devices.

One of the the things we know about the Switch which is seemingly at odds with what Nintendo has said in the past is storage and digital sales. Nintendo constantly talks about the importance of digital sales in their shareholder meetings, and they understand how lucrative they can be. Yet the Switch is rumored to launch with 32GB of storage (in the base SKU anyway) which is far too little for even a few digital games. I know there is MicroSD support and potentially 128GB storage in the premium SKU, but when you look at current game sizes and competitors' storage solutions, it seems fairly lacking.

But if you can buy an SCD as an accessory which functions as a local cloud storage device- meaning you can store games in the SCD and transfer them over to your Switch console whenever you're in range- that would go a long way to solving the storage problem without causing a strain on internet data caps (that would come with just cloud storage).

They could potentially even let your SCD communicate with other consoles to store their games in other partitions- potentially this could be part of that sharing/rewards program mentioned in the patent.

Then, a little down the road maybe we can see other SCDs which are designed to boost graphical/processing power.

Penguin

You got to imagine Nintendo is sweating a bit with these leaks so I'm curious how'll they handle it.

Will they play it cool or will they tongue-in-cheek acknowledge it during the presser

Gsnap

I do hope the rumors dry up soon so we can go into the January event with some surprises, but I do like what I'm hearing.

Sounds like Switch is gonna have a great first year. That along with the price will determine its success, I think. Giving people 3D Mario and Zelda, and telling people, "Yes, this is where you will be buying your pokemon games from now on" within the first year automatically makes the system far more attractive than the Wii U ever could have been. Add on to that everything else, and I think we're in for a good time.

MoonFrog

Seeing Kimishima quoted like a quoted post makes me think of the counterfactual where he posted such things on GAF. It would be strange.

oti

Banned
You got to imagine Nintendo is sweating a bit with these leaks so I'm curious how'll they handle it.

Will they play it cool or will they tongue-in-cheek acknowledge it during the presser

There will be nothing tongue-in-cheek in this event. Tbh I expect it to be very dry and very Japanese overall. Like Sony Japan pressers.

There will be nothing tongue-in-cheek in this event. Tbh I expect it to be very dry and very Japanese overall. Like Sony Japan pressers.
I expect it to be dry, BUT I expect Nintendo of America to have something to coincide around the event to make it more fun.

Kimishima is a business man. He's not the funny play around guy.

Skittzo, are those patents from back in the day on your mind?

Well I was just responding to Rosti's post about what the SCDs might be used for now that we know more about the Switch. The SCD patent does mention a bit about storage, cloud storage and wireless data transfer from SCD to console, so it's definitely something that I think is possible with that.

As for other patents, I don't think we've seen any that would seem to make sense as part of the Switch package as we know it. The detachable controller patent might find a new iteration as replacement joycons (Gamecube themed joycon for example), and I seriously doubt the projector patent will appear on the Switch (at least for now- it seems like it would actually fit the Switch concept quite well but pricing/battery is a big issue for pico projectors as of now).

Can't really think of any other relevant Nintendo patents/patent apps off the top of my head.

So sounds like Metroid is happening?

Wait, where's this coming from?

I've been sorta expecting a Metroid bombshell at the presentation but trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Edit:

I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to understand that exchange haha

So 10k thinks Metroid is happening, though not by Retro, but thinks it will be terrible? Aka Team Ninja maybe?

Then Liam says "It isn't Retro" but says his info is false anyway? This is quite confusing to a non-insider...

Well I was just responding to Rosti's post about what the SCDs might be used for now that we know more about the Switch. The SCD patent does mention a bit about storage, cloud storage and wireless data transfer from SCD to console, so it's definitely something that I think is possible with that.

As for other patents, I don't think we've seen any that would seem to make sense as part of the Switch package as we know it. The detachable controller patent might find a new iteration as replacement joycons (Gamecube themed joycon for example), and I seriously doubt the projector patent will appear on the Switch (at least for now- it seems like it would actually fit the Switch concept quite well but pricing/battery is a big issue for pico projectors as of now).

Can't really think of any other relevant Nintendo patents/patent apps off the top of my head.

Wait, where's this coming from?

I've been sorta expecting a Metroid bombshell at the presentation but trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Sorry, forgot to link
https://twitter.com/doctor_cupcakes/status/799649845011157012

Hip Hop

One aspect I'm very excited about is the media aspect of it and the web browsing capabilities.

The Wii U was great for browsing and Youtube surfing.

Hopefully the Switch does a great job on it, as someone with no tablets.

Oersted

Is presser referring to the shareholdermeting or the January event?

Well, with the shareholders I expect "no bullshit, straight to the point."

Full Switch reveal in January... god knows. It feels like Switch is a complete reboot and it seems like Kimi doesn't feel so comfortable in the spotlight but besides that ...

Miyamoto is atleast still around.

oti

Banned
Is presser referring to the shareholdermeting or the January event?

Well, with the shareholders I expect "no bullshit, straight to the point."

Full Switch reveal in January... god knows. It feels like Switch is a complete reboot and it seems like Kimi doesn't feel so comfortable in the spotlight but besides that ...

Miyamoto is atleast still around.

Isn't the event Japanese media and invitation only? It will also be live-translated. I really do not expect it to be entertaining. Like, at all. But I'm sure there will be cool trailers and maybe even a Treehouse stream following it shortly after.

The Metroid dream will never die

Metroid Prime: Federation Force: Force Harder

Apparently after digging the rumor is Mercury Steam (twitter drama is hard to follow) who did Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It sounds fake to me... like someone said, "hey you know who should make a Metroidvania game? A Castlevania developer!" And went from there.

I'm gonna go ahead and say we don't see any new substantial leaks until January. Nintendo will be coming down hard on leakers after the Eurogamer report today.

Omg what if Nintendo does what I asked???

Metroid being made by a big western third party dev?!

I wanna see a Rockstar F-Zero brawler or a Bioware Star Fox before they farm out Metroid to a third party (that isn't From).

Indies can take care of 2D Metroid though.

Apparently after digging the rumor is Mercury Steam (twitter drama is hard to follow) who did Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It sounds fake to me... like someone said, "hey you know who should make a Metroidvania game? A Castlevania developer!" And went from there.

I'm gonna go ahead and say we don't see any new substantial leaks until January. Nintendo will be coming down hard on leakers after the Eurogamer report today.

No, the Mercury Steam part is just 10K's bad rumor. Nate and Liam seem pretty certain that a new Metroid by someone other than Retro is happening, though.

No, the Mercury Steam part is just 10K's bad rumor. Nate and Liam seem pretty certain that a new Metroid by someone other than Retro is happening, though.

Oh did they say the Metroid part of his rumor wasn't wrong but the developer part was? I thought Liam was just saying that 10k was right that Retro isn't working on Metroid but wrong about everything else.

I'm terrible at following twitter conversations.

Penguin

Well I don't know if it's bad... it's old.

clearly they worked on a Metroid Prototype, but that seems to have been retrofitted to their new IP.

I would absolutely love if they gave us some form of wireless data storage option. I don't expect it, but it would be a nice way to get around expensive flash memory.

daakusedo

Did she really wrote that?
For what I assume is the same game, nicowav said different tone than splatoon but genre is as surprising.
Anyway splatoon comparison getting some mileage lol

foltzie1

I would absolutely love if they gave us some form of wireless data storage option. I don't expect it, but it would be a nice way to get around expensive flash memory.

What are you envisioning? Already with the Wii U and 3DS you can re download items at will.

Gamegeneral

Has anyone confirmed methods of charging for this thing yet?

I'm fine letting the unit charge in its dock, but I have to wonder if the controllers charge through it, or if anything can be charged through an additional method (Hoping for MicroUSB finally! Optimistic, I know)

Oddduck

Did she really wrote that?
For what I assume is the same game, nicowav said different tone than splatoon but genre is as surprising.
Anyway splatoon comparison getting some mileage lol

She said it was like Splatoon in the sense that it's weird like Splatoon.

Not because they're the same genre.

Anth0ny

I just had a random idea

Fire Emblem Warriors by the Hyrule Warriors team

I feel like that franchise lends itself well to a Musou title. so many characters, too. could work well as a first year Switch title.

As for Metroid... give it to an indie team. 2D Metroid. it's what the franchise needs right now. it needs it bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom