• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch doesn't support Optical Audio out....

I'm also in the category of those that have an AV receiver without HDMI.

That said even if my receiver did have HDMI in, I'd be hesitant to use it for my gaming consoles. I don't want to introduce additional input lag. For the Wii U I just accepted that I'd have to deal with a worse audio experience.

shandy706

So you are mad that nintendo supports a superior standard?

No, us adults read it as him being mad that they don't include other options. The same options other consoles come with.

I only run one thing of optical though. I've switched to HDMI mostly, but my 2017 soundbar that I just put in my bedroom, that I just bought, is optical based (no hdmi)....and it was built this year, lol.''

Some HDMI passthroughs introduce input lag for the video signal...you really are lost here aren't you. He has other options, but it's possible he could run into this. Video and input lag running into each other can be rough playing games.

Doctre81

I'm also in the category of those that have an AV receiver without HDMI.

That said even if my receiver did have HDMI in, I'd be hesitant to use it for my gaming consoles. I don't want to introduce additional input lag. For the Wii U I just accepted that I'd have to deal with a worse audio experience.

WAT. lol

Vuze

Just add a new sound system to that 512GB SD card and Ethernet adapter. No biggie really (am I doing this right?)

What would be the best thing to switch to for someone who uses a DAC and optical? It would probably be an HD receiver, right?

Bullza2o

I had this problem with the Wii U until I bought a new Yamaha 5.1 receiver. Now I use PCM for my PS4, Wii U, and will do the same for Switch. There weren't too many Wii U games with 5.1 though.

liquidtmd

Banned
The scoffing at the OP is pretty laughable.

They use a feature. Their setup employs the feature. Many use the feature. Other consoles use the feature. Switch doesn't support the feature. OP presents themselves rationally and says it isn't a deal breaker

'Lolololol I suppose you have 56k modem too OP, don't blame Nintendo!'

NekoFever

The bigger issue is that if the Switch doesn't support Dolby or DTS. Come on Nintendo. Get with it.
Why would it need to without optical? HDMI supports uncompressed multichannel audio, which is higher quality for us and doesn't cost anything for Nintendo. Win/win.

Or are there receivers that have HDMI but don't support PCM?

Kaelan

We've known this and it's not surprising. Sucks cause I wanna use my Astros, but I can just plug it in the audio jack

Nintendo had to save 5 dollars on adding an optical port so they could give you old roms for 30 days and 70$ controllers if they would have added optical then the roms would last 15 days and the controllers would cost 90$.

Thank you Nintendo-sama you always know what's best for us.

Spman2099

One of the biggest complaints I had heard about both the Wii and Wii U was the lack of an optical audio out port. It is something that stopped myself and from what I have read a lot of others being able to hook up their systems to their 5.1 surround sound systems.

After doing some research today it appears the Switch also doesn't support this feature. I mean seriously Nintendo? Some of us have quality 5.1 setups that don't support HDMI audio and your competition both have this feature. It won't stop my preorder but Nintendo's lack of including features that should be a given are maddening.

If they aren't going to provide an ethernet port then they sure as hell aren't going to give you an optical port.

This is Nintendo. Expect nothing and you will only be a little disappointed.

takoyaki

Didn’t expect otherwise.

What’s actually bothering me is the possible lack of support for Bluetooth Headphones. Nintendo is selling the Switch as full-fledged handheld and yet it might be missing something this basic (Vita had it in 2011)

brawly

People ITT calling it a legacy port...give me a break. There's more than enough people using mixamp/headsets. Probably not on Nintendo systems but still.

Optical out is very much alive, I mean a lot of those fancy gaming headsets use it, although any serious audiophile probably has a receiver that uses HDMI. Grab an adapter OP, and maybe a flame shield.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I dont really get the "its old!" posts. I mean, sure, its old, but both PS4 and Xbox One have it. I'm pretty sure that both Xbox Scorpio and PS5 will also have it.

I'd be extremely surprised if they did.

Receivers have had HDMI for a decade now.

shandy706

Maybe you adults should know that you can just hook it to the tv and then the tv to the reciever and it's a non issue?

LOL....wow. Stop being a jerk. He may have a setup where this isn't convenient.

Not a good look.

I'm not lost at all. He is talking about the audio lagging behind the picture.

He says "input" lag, maybe he wasn't specific enough?...and that still doesn't change the situation as I mentioned above. More options is always better than less, period.

Doctre81

Some HDMI passthroughs introduce input lag for the video signal...you really are lost here aren't you. He has other options, but it's possible he could run into this. Video and input lag running into each other can be rough playing games.

I'm not lost at all. He is talking about the audio lagging behind the picture.

LOL....wow. Stop being a jerk. He may have a setup where this isn't convenient.

Not a good look.
I replied to him just how he replied to me. "us adults"
No, us adults read it as him being mad that they don't include other options. The same options other consoles come with.

people complaining about this and comparing tothe ps4 and xboXbox are forgetting the fact that the switch is underpowered and much smaller. switch is like a portable system that you dock to play on TV, you can't expect all features on a limited tablet.

leng jai

This was expected, it's Nintendo. Don't think they should ever had optical on their consoles. Pretty lame if you want to connect a DAC/amp/headphone setup to it. The roundabout solution I used with the Wii U was plugging it into the HDMI in Port of my Xbone and using the optical out there. Pretty ridiculous but it works and sounds alright. .

So

people complaining about this and comparing tothe ps4 and xboXbox are forgetting the fact that the switch is underpowered and much smaller. switch is like a portable system that you dock to play on TV, you can't expect all features on a limited tablet.

The system will undoubtedly support surround sound formats, just the newest formats like LPCM over HDMI. Same as WiiU. Nintendo has never bothered with Optical nor anything Dolby past Pro Logic II.

We've known this and it's not surprising. Sucks cause I wanna use my Astros, but I can just plug it in the audio jack
Funny you should mention that. I was watching the Treehouse Live and I distinctly remember seeing a what looked like an Astro Mixamp wired up behind one of the demo units. It would still work if the switch supported USB headsets.

nomis

Don't worry OP, you Nintendo expected you to shell out $100+ for accessories anyways, what's an extra 30

Matt

I understand people being annoyed, but more and more media devices have been and will be forgoing optical in the future.

Hell, the PS4 Slim doesn't have it either.

Top Bottom