• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steiner

Banned
Anyone else in here going to be in NYC for the event the following day? I wouldn't mind meeting up with a gafer or two to watch the stream and geek out.

Figments

It better have universal party chat, unified messaging/invite system, and damn good launch games.

I must have all three.

:O

Lol no it won't. The days of GAF taking a shit whenever major announcements happen are in the past. They have made some great progress in regard to accounting for big events. Might get some 404s for a few seconds/minutes (cumulatively,) but the site won't be perma-downed. Guaranteed.
It was down for like an hour when the Switch was announced. I remember because the Red Dead trailer was coming an hour later and the website wasn't working when the trailer for Red Dead came out.

Griss

Prediction: The Switch VC is announced in the stream with the long-rumoured Mother 3 translation as the headliner.

I feel like there was too much smoke there for there not to be fire, and it made sense to hold on to that announcement for something important.

huh, i forgot this...would love to see a white version. that black looks so beta.

and i am looking forward to seeing people rushing to make threads after the stream is over.

Lol no it won't. The days of GAF taking a shit whenever major announcements happen are in the past. They have made some great progress in regard to accounting for big events. Might get some 404s for a few seconds/minutes (cumulatively,) but the site won't be perma-downed. Guaranteed.

Yeah, I'm not going to make bold claims about how GAF never, ever tanks due to big events, but these days any downtime that does occur (and it does still occur) mostly seems random and not tied to heavy traffic.

Kinsei

Banned
Just under two days until we see the next two Metroid games, right everyone? We're totally going to get another double release like Prime and Fusion, right everyone?

Speely

Banned
It was down for like an hour when the Switch was announced. I remember because the Red Dead trailer was coming an hour later and the website wasn't working when the trailer for Red Dead came out.

I am not trying to contest your point here, per se, but I don't remember that at all. I was all over that reveal and though I noticed some hiccups, there was never an hour period in which I could not access GAF. Maybe my memory is rose-tinted, though.

Prediction: The Switch VC is announced in the stream with the long-rumoured Mother 3 translation as the headliner.

I feel like there was too much smoke there for there not to be fire, and it made sense to hold on to that announcement for something important.

If they do that, and promise Earthbound and "Earthbound Beginnings" are on there and transfer for free from Wii U using that fancy Nintendo service (or cheap as free), they have a sale from me.

Super excited for Thursday... and kind of thrilled for Friday pre-order attempt at my local GameStop.

Hope I'm not up against too many folks for a pre-order at my local GameStop. In the past, when I've tried to go after high-demand, now-supply Nintendo products, it's been nothing but aggravation and disappointment, and really don't want to be repeating that experience this time. I got both my WiiU and 3DS on day 1 without issue, but both had their off-putting aspects that kept most people away (3DS high pricepoint and general consumer confusion about the WiiU). Enthusiasm in these enthusiast circles seems pretty high, though.

Also hope that 128GB will prove to be plenty if the system is SD card based for digital purchasing. I'm going to try not to go physical-- I went all digital on both 3DS and Vita after realizing I hate trying to manage tiny carts. If Switch games tend to be larger than 8-12GB each, I'm gonna just go with carts, though... Think I maybe dislike having to manage and cycling downloads even more when they're past that filesize range.

So, what megatons are you hoping for? I'm hoping for FF7 Remake 🙏.

"We bought Platinum Games."

But seriously, to me a Swich-exclusive 3D Sonic game (preferably Sonic Adventure 3), or Donkey Kong 64 2/Diddy Kong Racing 2 by Playtonic (or Monster for DKR2) would be the TOP megatons for me.

Tehalemi

The hours will be long. Can't wait!!

aWO95CF.jpg

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yeah, I'm not going to make bold claims about how GAF never, ever tanks due to big events, but these days any downtime that does occur (and it does still occur) mostly seems random and not tied to heavy traffic.

Think the last time GAF went down because of a big event was the Sony Triple Combo of Dreams at E3 2015.

Event ends with a brief 'one more thing' post script. Reggie comes out to talk about a very recent partnership Nintendo has made with a third party developer. It's Scalebound. A few moments of footage showing Drew in Mario's overalls and Thuban with a Yoshi skin are shown. Hideki Kamiya walks out and bro hugs Reggie on camera. A single tear rolls down each GAF member's cheek. Miyamoto does this:

m101ral67.gif

Speely

Banned

When I saw how GAF handled the last E3, I was pretty convinced that things were going to be ok.

kubus

I had to overhauled those information but let me know if I missed something.
Thanks, looking good now :D. Wasn't really nitpicking, just wondered if I missed another update or something, haha.
Rosti is going to post Switch Presentation OT 12 hours before the event.
12 hours before the event is a little overkill isn't in? What should be discussed in that thread in 12 hours that can't be discussed here? Or is the plan to post it in advance, have a mod lock it and then have it opened again right before the event? I've seen that happen before.

Thanks, looking good now :D. Wasn't really nitpicking, just wondered if I missed another update or something, haha.

12 hours before the event is a little overkill isn't in? What should be discussed in that thread in 12 hours that can't be discussed here? Or is the plan to post it in advance, have a mod lock it and then have it opened again right before the event? I've seen that happen before.

Why does it matter if he makes it 12 hours before? Do people seriously complain about things like that?

Griss

Also, we know there's going to be Wii U ports out the ass, which is why I'm so happy that I never played Splatoon beyond a couple of rounds at a friend's.

To me, that's a brand new game, brand new experience, and I know it'll be incredible. It's probably a much bigger deal as a launch game for me than to people who've already put 100 hours in, ya know? And it's just good luck as the only reason I didn't buy that game was that my internet was too unreliable for gaming over the past two years.

Can't wait for Splatoon remastered or Spla2n or what have you. And Mario Kart 8 is one of my games of the generation... and there's Breath of the Wild...

How could they possibly fuck this up? This is going to be a home run guys.

Net

Also, we know there's going to be Wii U ports out the ass, which is why I'm so happy that I never played Splatoon beyond a couple of rounds at a friend's.

To me, that's a brand new game, brand new experience, and I know it'll be incredible. It's probably a much bigger deal as a launch game for me than to people who've already put 100 hours in, ya know? And it's just good luck as the only reason I didn't buy that game was that my internet was too unreliable for gaming over the past two years.

Can't wait for Splatoon remastered or Spla2n or what have you. And Mario Kart 8 is one of my games of the generation... and there's Breath of the Wild...

How could they possibly fuck this up? This is going to be a home run guys.

Yeah I skipped WiiU so this is going to work out very nicely for me.

Port all the games.

Regarding the IR sensor at bottom of right Joy Con, such position prevents Wii style pointer controls? I was hoping to play something like the Metroid Prime games (in Wii VC downloads, or a new entry altogether) with such controls. Even Mario Galaxy--if released in some form on Switch--wouldn't feel as smooth as it did on Wii without pointer controls.

I think things could get nasty here if/when Nintendo presents far less than has already leaked. Toss in a higher price than people expect and you got a one-two punch for mass banning and multi doom threads.

But I seriously doubt they will be going all out on this like so many expect which only means disappointment is assured.

Yeah pretty happy with the number of wii u ports, I traded my wii u in last year so didn't get to ever play splatoon or mario maker, would like those.

I wonder what happens if you own digital versions of some of these games. I assume absolutely nothing, but it would be nice to at least get a discount on Mario Kart, SSMB, etc if you own the digital wii u versions.

A bunch of places - Target, Gamestop germany, others - have 15 games listed as launch SKUs in their inventory systems. Hope thats true.

I also wonder how strong digital games will be, with only 32GB internal storage and 128GB sd card its not really a lot of space for 2017 games. Skyrim remastered on consoles is 23 gigs, while the switch version is probably smaller if games are 15-20 gigs each thats like 1-2 big games you could store internally and 4-5 on an SD card.

Regarding the IR sensor at bottom of right Joy Con, such position prevents Wii style pointer controls? I was hoping to play something like the Metroid Prime games (in Wii VC downloads, or a new entry altogether) with such controls. Even Mario Galaxy--if released in some form on Switch--wouldn't feel as smooth as it did on Wii without pointer controls.

I would bet wiimotes will work.

Grylvak

Does anyone have any thoughts on what Nintendo will call ports to the Switch?

I was thinking about it and thought "Mario Kart 8 Switch'd" or something like that would sound pretty interesting.

All these months of following nearly every NX/Switch thread and going through a rollercoaster with each morsel of info we got will finally come to an end. My favorite part would probably be the "NX will be revealed next week!" phase.

Can't wait for the full reveal, not looking forward to the preordering hell because I have work. At least I'll get to attend a Switch event and get some hands on!

Drago

I don't think so, just turn the joycon upside down and you use it in a position with the analog stick above the ABXY buttons. It's not a perfect solution but after thinking about it I think it'll work fine, with the left joycon taking the place of the nunchuk. Only glaring issue is how you'd comfortably use the triggers on the right joycon.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what Nintendo will call ports to the Switch?

I was thinking about it and thought "Mario Kart 8 Switch'd" or something like that would sound pretty interesting.

You serious? That sounds terrible. Just go with "Deluxe" or something.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'd bet you they don't. I'm betting there's zero backwards compatibility with controllers.

I hope there is zero compatibility. nintendo needs to get rid of everything with the wii/wiiu branding.

question tho: do we know what happens with e-shop gift-cards? will there be new ones like when they switched from wii to wii u?

So, what megatons are you hoping for? I'm hoping for FF7 Remake 🙏.

They're probably not going to present anything other than the new 3D Mario game that was hinted at in the Switch reveal, but I'd love to see another 2D Mario game announced that moves the aesthetic out of the "New" style and has something fresh, maybe even based on Super Mario Galaxy. Plus, it'd be nice if Mario Maker 2 was included as part of the package as just another "mode" of the game, with a new set of tools based on the new aesthetic, and expanding the possibilities in all of the other aesthetic types (maybe even allow creators to add newer mechanics, like walljumping, to old aesthetics).

Would also like to see a 3rd party pick up a licensed Nintendo project, ala Hyrule Warriors -- take a famous Nintendo property and mix it up into another genre. I wouldn't even mind Hyrule Warriors 2, but something outside of a musou would be greatly appreciated.

Would be thrilled to see something Dragon Quest related. The West finally getting Dragon Quest X via the Switch? Dragon Quest XI Switch version debut footage?

Finally, something that feels like it has focus and production value out of Square-Enix's Japanese development teams. I get that the Switch probably can't drive something as high production value as FFXV, but I'd still love to see some sort of Switch title from Square-Enix Japan that is exclusive and crafted with high attention to detail, and not something that feels like a conceptual experiment ala Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

... But above all, Breath of the Wild not being delayed at all and debuting with the Switch would be entirely amazing. With how prominent rumors of its delay have been, that would ring as megaton for me, and would single handedly justify any suffering I get from a couple of hours in the cold waiting for GameStop to open for my pre-order on Friday morning.

AGITΩ

Anyone else think Nintendo will go Physical for Zelda of the Switch but go digital only on Wii U? Since they've been clearing up inventory for most retailers on the Wii U side of things, wouldn't it be a waste of cost just to make physical versions of the game on a now dead system?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
AGITΩ;228060467 said:
Anyone else think Nintendo will go Physical for Zelda of the Switch but go digital only on Wii U? Since they've been clearing up inventory for most retailers on the Wii U side of things, wouldn't it be a waste of cost just to make physical versions of the game on a now dead system?

you can pre-order zelda botw retail tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom