• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European history

Scrawnton

I don't understand why Nintendo is choosing to launch mk8d at the end of april instead of at the beginning of the month. Instead of having another high quality exclusive ready for when everyone has beaten botw they have an almost months gap. Seems silly to me.
Yeah I'm not sure what they're thinking. It makes me think arms is a June game and Splatoon is an august game with that spacing.

Lothars

I have no doubt that they'll add a pack-in of some sort for the holiday. However, I don't think that doing so is indicative of them "overpricing" at launch. Xbox One and PS4 had game bundles less than six months after launch didn't they? I seem to remember Titanfall and Infamous getting packed in with both in Feb/March after their holiday releases.
I think adding the value is the way they can make it seem worth it at the price they are asking, It's why I say it's overpriced at 299. I have one sitting next to me and I am going to return it even with zelda. I just don't think it's worth it. I will get one again once they have a bundled game. which will probably be in the fall.

I said the same thing about the xbox one at launch.

Quasar

Rather surprised given the talk of plentiful stock whilst US is constrained. I assumed that meant a lack of demand in Europe (and here in Australia).

Didn't the same thing basically happen with the Wii U?

Nope, Wii U's launch was pretty lacklustre, with a lot of the target audience thinking it was an upgrade to their original Wii that they didn't want, and a lot of core gamers feeling they were being ignored. The Wii has been their best selling console to this point.

Switch is off to a great start, but it's worth remembering that the Wii suffered from some pretty extreme supply shortages and would have posted an even higher record for the Switch to beat had the supply matched the demand. Time will tell if demand for the Switch is as high as it was for the Wii.

Juanivan

Nope, Wii U's launch was pretty lacklustre, with a lot of the target audience thinking it was an upgrade to their original Wii that they didn't want, and a lot of core gamers feeling they were being ignored.

Very much different situation this time ah?

Good to see that early signs point to a success.

I don't have a Switch yet, and likely won't for some time, but I'm glad to know it seems to be doing well

Very much different situation this time ah?

Yes?

38151_banner.jpg

It's way too early to say anything about the health of the Switch. People are going to let themselves fall into the same trap that they did with XB1 and 3DS launch sales. These early sales hopefully point to the system not being another Wii U, but that's about all they point to.

Yeah I know. I was just allowing myself the fun of some reactionary posting :)

Nightbird

Nope, Wii U's launch was pretty lacklustre, with a lot of the target audience thinking it was an upgrade to their original Wii that they didn't want, and a lot of core gamers feeling they were being ignored. The Wii has been their best selling console to this point.

It would have sold better if people understood that it was an upgrade.

Most people thought that it was an Tablet add-on to the Wii

Switch is off to a great start, but it's worth remembering that the Wii suffered from some pretty extreme supply shortages and would have posted an even higher record for the Switch to beat had the supply matched the demand. Time will tell if demand for the Switch is as high as it was for the Wii.

The Wii U got off to a decent start. 3 million in the first two months isn't really lackluster. That said there was definitely some confusion around it. The messaging for the Switch seems much better.

But I wouldn't get too carried away with the Switch being a huge success in the long term just yet. Let's see how it's travelling in a few months time (I'm not betting aginst success, just pointing out that launch sales don't guarantee anything)

Nerazar

I don't understand why Nintendo is choosing to launch mk8d at the end of april instead of at the beginning of the month. Instead of having another high quality exclusive ready for when everyone has beaten botw they have an almost months gap. Seems silly to me.

It is a close call, but I don't think that I'll be able to finish BotW even while playing 1 hour per day. Mario Kart 8 is neatly timed, for me at least.

I am looking forward to Lego City Undercover which comes out in the beginning of April. And I hope that some indie titles get released until then.

Cairnsay

Banned
For all the critical acclaim that gets thrown at Zelda & Mario games, Mario Kart and Smash Bros have always been Nintendo's highest selling franchises. Seen loads of ads for MK8 here in the UK.

Mory Dunz

wow, they're already ramping up mk8d ads? where are you?

I mentioned before how Sony's commercial of Horizon, Spider-Man, and God of War was a great commercial, despite showing 3 games that were not out, 2 of them not coming out anytime soon.

However, it was a good commercial.

So I think it's a good idea that Nintendo is showing commercials with Mario Kart, ARMS, and Splatoon 2. Check out their channel

Heck, they shoud do a commercial with Super Mario Odyssey tbh. Show FE Warriors, given the rise in popularity.

If Smash Port, and Pokemon Stars, and Retro's game are announced, just start showing them in your Switch commercials.

Calm Mind

Launch weekend of 1m sounds good. Obviously not a patch on ps4, but then i don't think anyone expected it to be. Switch needs legs, Wii u and Wii has Christmas a few weeks after launch to maintain sales over the month, Switch doesn't have that luxury.

You make an excellent point. And given that Nintendo is fully aware of their past mistakes, I doubt they will rest on their laurels. In fact, I believe this will only make them work even harder to exceed their own expectations going forward. I remain cautiously optimistic.

I think adding the value is the way they can make it seem worth it at the price they are asking, It's why I say it's overpriced at 299. I have one sitting next to me and I am going to return it even with zelda. I just don't think it's worth it. I will get one again once they have a bundled game. which will probably be in the fall.

I said the same thing about the xbox one at launch.

I don't understand this logic. Unless money is really tight: you own it already, you have Zelda already, and you're going to return it so you can rebuy it in six months in hopes of there being a pack-in game? At best the pack-in is Zelda and you've saved a whopping $60 and at worst it's a game you didn't want anyways (1 2 Switch) and you'll still have to spend $60 to get Zelda. There's zero confirmation of there even being plans for a pack-in, and for all you know it'll be a Black Friday exclusive that'll be sold out by time you get in line for it.

Maximo

As a a Switch owner, I'm surprised. Things looking good though.

Wii U numbers fears subsiding, next target - Gamecube.

I mean...So far 3DS launched 5 years ago the WiiU launched 4 years and 3 months ago so you have both Handheld and Console consumers of both or either buying the switch, im not surprised its the best selling when you combine both, will be interesting to see how it holds over the year.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I mean...So far 3DS launched 5 years ago the WiiU launched 4 years and 3 months ago so you have both markets Handheld and Console consumers of both or either buying the switch, im not surprised its the best selling when you combine both, will be interesting to see how it holds over the year.

You say this as if the Wii U/3DS userbase are completely separate.

I guatantee that almost all Wii U owners had a 3DS.

Maximo

You say this as if the Wii U/3DS userbase are completely separate.

I guarantee that almost all Wii U owners had a 3DS.

But in that sense not all 3DS owners had a WiiU some don't buy both to assume they do is wrong, ask on this very forum and some don't own both. Historically people have bought Nintendo handhelds more then the consoles, Im simply responding to the comment of "Wii U numbers fears subsiding" I mean I assumed it would do better numbers when you offer one product for both markets, its just interesting to see how people will respond to that sales wise in the coming months/years.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
But in that sense not all 3DS owners had a WiiU some don't buy both to assume they do is wrong, ask on this very forum and some don't own both. Historically people have bought Nintendo handhelds more then the consoles, Im simply responding to the comment of "Wii U numbers fears subsiding" I mean I assumed it would do better numbers when you offer one product for both markets, its just interesting to see how people will respond to that sales wise in the coming months/years.

The point is you can't combine both userbases.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
And what percentage of 3DS owners owned a Wii U?

Not many?

I dont see how you are missing the point by such a large margin.

Wii U + 3DS [do not =] Switch Userbase

3DS owners = Wii U owners

Wii U owners [do not =] 3DS owners.

Switch will gain in its userbase if the system appeals to people outside the 3DS userbase.

Funny, i listened to the new PS I Love You XOXO podcast this evening and Colin said he heard the numbers are terrible for sales in Europe and things are already looking bad for the console.
Numbers for the year will drop because they have no big titles until Mario.
I think he's underestimating Nintendo fans. This time we have hardware we love (unlike Wii U), like you loved that Vita. We will be there for the games when they release.

Then i remembered reading this news yesterday, and seeing that the Switch is doing better week 1 launch numbers than Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS3, PSP, and Vita.

Karu

Funny, i listened to the new PS I Love You XOXO podcast this evening and Colin said he heard the numbers are terrible for sales in Europe and things are already looking bad for the console.
I think he's underestimating Nintendo fans. This time we have hardware we love (unlike Wii U), like you loved that Vita. We will be there for the games when they release.

Then i remembered reading this news yesterday, and seeing that the Switch is doing better week 1 launch numbers than Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS3, PSP, and Vita.
I think he was refering to the UK numbers, probably. UK = Europe on any major american vg podcast lol. I personally don't actually know whether the UK numbers are considered good or bad, but there wasn't a huge positive resonance to those numbers - which I think came his impressions from.

muetimueti

Neo Member
So how high is correlation between initial sales and long-term adoption rate? Sounds like good news for sure, hopefully this will translate to more third-party development this time around.

Jesus... None of the numbers we have for Europe are terrible or even bad. The U.K. numbers are not impressive but they are decent, and the performance was very strong in France and Germany. He says he's not a fanboy because he used to love Nintendo and wants them to be successful again, but I'm having a hard time finding that convincing.

LordKano

I don't think taking infos about a Nintendo console from a PlayStation podcast is a good ideas. Especially when it's Colin.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Colin also wrote this article for IGN.

Fastest selling means very little with such small time frames and when the objective sales really does not amount to anything extraordinary.

So
Europe 325k
Japan 317k
NA at least 400k

Switch sold at least over a million in its first weekend. That seems pretty intense. PS4 sold 1 mil on day 1 and hit 2 mil in 15 days.

PS4 sold 1 million day 1 in NA alone.
Some more comparisons: PS4 launched with 250k in UK alone.
In one month (even with a staggered release and no Japan), PS4 sold 4 million+ in one month (December).

So how high is correlation between initial sales and long-term adoption rate? Sounds like good news for sure, hopefully this will translate to more third-party development this time around.

Whats your time frame? Launch week/month.....very little unless sales are extraordinary. Most launches are supply constrained. Give it a month and we can gauge long term trajectory better.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So
Europe 325k
Japan 317k
NA at least 400k

Switch sold at least over a million in its first weekend. That seems pretty intense. PS4 sold 1 mil on day 1 and hit 2 mil in 15 days.

So it sold rather on par with the PS4? That's pretty good. Too bad Nintendo isn't shipping a lot now or it might hit 2 mil in 15 days too.

I mean Colin is the last person to get information from regarding Nintendo lol.

mattthebad

Neo Member
91% in france, apparently
I live in Germany and bought mine in france. 30€ less, and I was at Strasbourg anyway.

Also, a lot of germans ordered their switch at amazon.fr.

Most of them, that includes me, did not buy Zelda in france. Maybe because it wasn't clear, whether english or german were included. My personal reason was, that the backcover was french. In case I want to resell it, this would result in some € less, even though the game is entirely the same.

Btw., hello GAF. That's my first post around here.

Top Bottom