• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European history

I don't know why people keep bringing up the possibility of a price cut this year. The Switch would have to collapse worse than the 3DS did after launch for that to happen, and while it's possible, it's not especially likely.

Yep. We'll MAYBE get holiday bundles, but they won't be for less than $299.

Crazyorloco

Well my switch and Zelda have been dispatched by very so that's another sale, should be with me in the next couple of days.

My daughter is still thoroughly enjoying hers though even with just snipperclips and 1-2 switch.

My daughter likes those games too.

Snipperclips is actually really great. 1,2, switch needs more in it to me, but it's nice to show off the system.

And welcome, You're going to love Zelda.

guek

Banned
I expect Switch sales to drop off quickly at the current price
Even if that happens, the only precedent for Nintendo making such a quick price drop is the 3DS, and the only reason they were able to do so with that device was because they overestimated consumer enthusiasm and priced it too high to begin with. Even with the $80 price cut, the 3DS only sold at a loss for less than a year. The Switch does not have the enormous profit margin at launch the 3DS had. It's more in line with the Wii U which also collapsed shortly after launch but didn't receive a price cut because the manufacturing cost was too damn high. Nintendo only price cuts in the first year if the system desperately needs one AND if they have the margin for it.

Nice, but the Wii didn't have the fastest start, and the other Nintendo consoles since the SNES have kind of bombed.

Would be nice to see how it matches up to other console launches and Nintendo's handhelds.

RoyalFool

Banned
Even if that happens, the only precedent for Nintendo making such a quick price drop is the 3DS,

Oh sweet sweet child, guessing you are too young to remember.

They knocked £100 off the price of the N64 weeks after launch, they cut the gamecube price weeks before launch. The only reason they don't cut prices in the handheld sector is because they run the show, but the switch isn't a pure handheld and will need to be priced in awareness of both PS4 and Xbone.

It's also worth noting that Nintendo being Nintendo don't actually set an RRP, but rather a SRP (suggested retail price). Which leads to a strange scenario where retailers slash the price, and then Nintendo lower the SRP to reflect this at a later date. So a price drop will be based on sales, rather than at Nintendo's discretion.

My guess is sales will slow down, and if any of the major titles gets delayed they'll have to slash the price to regain that momentum. I think in 12 months we'll be looking at a revised (but physically identical) model with the kinks ironed out, 1 2 switch bundled, and £50 off the price.

guek

Banned
Oh sweet sweet child, guessing you are too young to remember.

They knocked £100 off the price of the N64 weeks after launch, they cut the gamecube price weeks before launch. The only reason they don't cut prices in the handheld sector is because they run the show, but the switch isn't a pure handheld and will need to be priced in awareness of both PS4 and Xbone.

It's also worth noting that Nintendo being Nintendo don't actually set an RRP, but rather a SRP (suggested retail price). Which leads to a strange scenario where retailers slash the price, and then Nintendo lower the SRP to reflect this at a later date. So a price drop will be based on sales, rather than at Nintendo's discretion.

My guess is sales will slow down, and if any of the major titles gets delayed they'll have to slash the price to regain that momentum. I think in 12 months we'll be looking at a revised (but physically identical) model with the kinks ironed out, 1 2 switch bundled, and £50 off the price.
Neither of your examples are quite what's being suggested though. Cutting price basically at launch like the 64 and GC indicates they overreached on their margins from the start. Nintendo really does not like to sell at a loss, and the Switch price can't be cut and maintain its slim profit margin. Though maybe I'm wrong and the margin is actually bigger than we suspect, but based on dev comments about the price, I don't think so.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, I see you are not from Spain.

The Vandal article, if I understand it correctly, mentions that there were 50,000 units available for Switch's first shipment, which means it sold 90% of the initial stock; correct me if I'm wrong.

Esta espectacular cifra ha hecho que en muchos comercios no se pueda adquirir una Nintendo Switch, ya que parece ser que Nintendo distribuyó en el mercado español unas 50.000 unidades de su nueva consola, por lo que se ha vendido un gran porcentaje del stock inicial.

Guymelef

The Vandal article, if I understand it correctly, mentions that there were 50,000 units available for Switch's first shipment, which means it sold 90% of the initial stock; correct me if I'm wrong.

It says that but you can buy it right now in lot of retailers like Xtralife, Game, Media Markt, Carrefour, etc...

Also I was only saying that saying something like "it sold more than PS4 in Sonyland" it's not a good comparisson because PS4 sold all its stock in less than 24 hours.

Switch numbers in Spain are fantastic btw.

iKhayal18

Quick translation for you:

Nintendo Switch makes history in Spain

Nintendo Switch and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have already achieved several accomplishments all across Europe and America, but you might find surprising to see that it's greatest achievement has been made in our country, Spain.

According to several sources from the Spanish press, Switch has managed to sell more consoles than any other platform in the history of videogames in Spain. In less than three days, it has reached the impressive amount of 45.000 units sold. It's even more surprising considering that Nintendo Spain only shipped 50.000 across the country, going almost out of stock. If we compare to other videogame consoles we can see how important this launch is. For instance, being Spain a country leaning specially towards Sony platforms, the Playstation 4 managed to sell 37.000 units in the same time-frame in Spain.

Source: Nintenderos / Vandal

So currently for launch numbers in Europe we have
105k France
80k Uk
45k Spain
>1000 Greece
Now that is a total of at least 231k+
We just need to figure out Germany(one of the biggest) and the rest of Europe.
We know the Switch did at least 330k(which is around the launch number for the wii) in is debut weekend.
It'll be interesting since Germany sounds like it had a very successful launch.

you might find surprising to see that it's greatest achievement has been made in our country, Spain.

According to several sources from the Spanish press, Switch has managed to sell more consoles than any other platform in the history of videogames in Spain.

It has the same achievement in France though.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Nintendo Switch and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have already achieved several accomplishments all across Europe and America, but you might find surprising to see that it's greatest achievement has been made in our country, Spain.

According to several sources from the Spanish press, Switch has managed to sell more consoles than any other platform in the history of videogames in Spain. In less than three days, it has reached the impressive amount of 45.000 units sold. It's even more surprising considering that Nintendo Spain only shipped 50.000 across the country, going almost out of stock. If we compare to other videogame consoles we can see how important this launch is. For instance, being Spain a country leaning specially towards Sony platforms, the Playstation 4 managed to sell 37.000 units in the same time-frame in Spain.

Wow, so Nintendo not only outsell PS4 in a Sony country, but it also break record by being the fastest selling consoles in history in Spain for the first 3 days.

The name, logo, and animation of the logo are all on point for the Switch. Those things matter, and if you accompany it with genre defining software like Breath of the Wild it's no surprise that the Switch is selling out. Hell, it wasn't even on my radar until I started to see how insanely positive the reception for Zelda is. The Switch has gone from an idle curiosity to a must buy in the last week for me. I won't miss out on playing BotW.

Vinnk

Woah. I went to Spain on my Honeymoon many years ago and everything was Sony. (And a bit of Mario Kart Wii). That the Switch did this good is crazy impressive. Was the marketing really great there?

Regarding Spain's numbers, Zelda was sold out in almost every physical retailer in Madrid during the weekend. I was able to grab one of the two remaining copies in El Corte Inglés in La Vaguada (the last of all copies in ECI according to their web and the guy who sold me the game).

GAME, MediaMarkt, fnac, and ECI didn't have copies by saturday afternoon.

I think that Carrefour had according to their pick up in-store service, but all Carrefours are in the outskirts of Madrid.

I guess that if Nintendo had supplied more copies of Zelda numbers would be even bigger.

Vinnk

I also enjoy that in every country it is Zelda leading the charge. Not 1 2 Switch.

Don't get me wrong, I bought 1 2 Switch and it was great fun at a party but the message we need to send to Nintendo is "More games like Zelda please".

krumble

Neither of your examples are quite what's being suggested though. Cutting price basically at launch like the 64 and GC indicates they overreached on their margins from the start. Nintendo really does not like to sell at a loss, and the Switch price can't be cut and maintain its slim profit margin. Though maybe I'm wrong and the margin is actually bigger than we suspect, but based on dev comments about the price, I don't think so.

Correct - for both N64 & Gamecube Nintendo launched much later in Europe than in Japan & USA
Imported both machines due to this.

Thank god we don't have those staggered launches from them anymore - last Nintendo console I imported was a USA Wii due to the large number of USA GameCube games I owned

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I also enjoy that in every country it is Zelda leading the charge. Not 1 2 Switch.

Don't get me wrong, I bought 1 2 Switch and it was great fun at a party but the message we need to send to Nintendo is "More games like Zelda please".

Hows the buzz with kids around the Switch in Japan?

jdstorm

Banned
I'm not suprised it is outperforming the Wii at this stage.

As bad as the Wii U has done, I don't think Nintendo has the stark irrelevence that it had at the end of the GC era in Europe. It's a much much bigger brand at this point after the success of the Wii, DS, recent phone games and N64 nostalgia peaking.

Cant remember where i read this, but aparently Nintendo was split internally in 3 directions reguarding the WiiU. One group wanted a small low power backward compadible wii 2, another wanted a powerful corebox and the third faction wanted the game pad.

Ultimately the WiiU became an overpriced underpowered mess because of this.

Vinnk

Hows the buzz with kids around the Switch in Japan?

They want it, there is a lot of talk. But I have yet to encounter a kid who has one. Most of the early sales went to people my age.

If Nintendo can get these things restocked in the next 2 weeks they will hit the break between school years. (In Japan school begins in April) and that could lead to a lot of kids picking this thing up.

Big IF though..

A store in Japan is doing a lottery this Saturday with the prize being an opportunity to buy a Switch.

It's going to be a bit before supply meets demand.

Calm Mind

Open world Animal Crossing please!

wazoo

For those saying no chance of price drop and bundle by fall.

PS4 had bundles within its first year. I remember picking infamous and PS4 for the normal retail price of a PS4 on its own.

I'm actually expecting Arms and Splatoon 2 Bundles for July (when Splatoon 2 releases).
Splatoon 2 Bundle - $299
Arms Bundle - $299

Then a price cut by November with new bundles
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Bundle - $250
Smash Bros Deluxe Bundle - $250

Will not happen.

Haunted

Seems like great numbers for the Zeldabox, pleasant surprise.

Let's see whether they can keep the momentum going until the holidays and the next big game with Mario.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
They want it, there is a lot of talk. But I have yet to encounter a kid who has one. Most of the early sales went to people my age.

If Nintendo can get these things restocked in the next 2 weeks they will hit the break between school years. (In Japan school begins in April) and that could lead to a lot of kids picking this thing up.

Big IF though..

A store in Japan is doing a lottery this Saturday with the prize being an opportunity to buy a Switch.

It's going to be a bit before supply meets demand.

Thanks for the insight, always appreciated.

How do you feel consumers are taking to the price in Japan?

The Switch has the potential to be come one of my favorite consoles ever thanks to its versatility. It's like living the dream (taking my console with me, etc.)

And, of course, Zelda.

Andyliini

Bergsala confirmed that during it's launch weekend, Nintendo Switch's launch-weeked was the best within Nintendo launches in Scandinavian region. I couldn't find any numbers, though.

Vinnk

Thanks for the insight, always appreciated.

How do you feel consumers are taking to the price in Japan?

I think it's what people expected it would cost. No one is going on about how cheap it is but at the same time I don't hear many complaints that it costs too much. But as I said, with it being sold out everywhere price really doesn't factor into it yet. When initial demand is filled then price will play a more important role.

But sorry to derail this thread with Japan talk.

How are people reacting to the cost in European countries?

Open world Animal Crossing please!

That's all I can think about when I wander around the world in BotW doing nothing but exploring. An open-world Animal Crossing would be crazy, though I don't think it will happen. I think they want the town to remain small.

lherre

Accurate

I could believe the units sold but not the 90% of sellthrough since you could buy a Switch in almost every retailer every day.

guit3457

I could believe the units sold but not the 90% of sellthrough since you could buy a Switch in almost every retailer every day.

It depends on th city I guess. Here in Lugo you can find some Switchs here and there but I guess supply is a problem in bigger cities.

In both GAME here they are selling like crazy

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's what people expected it would cost. No one is going on about how cheap it is but at the same time I don't hear many complaints that it costs too much. But as I said, with it being sold out everywhere price really doesn't factor into it yet. When initial demand is filled then price will play a more important role.

But sorry to derail this thread with Japan talk.

How are people reacting to the cost in European countries?

Defintely agree with you.

Thanks for the input.

Sorry for derailing guys!

Calm Mind

So currently for launch numbers in Europe we have
105k France
80k Uk
45k Spain
>1000 Greece
Now that is a total of at least 231k+
We just need to figure out Germany(one of the biggest) and the rest of Europe.
We know the Switch did at least 330k(which is around the launch number for the wii) in is debut weekend.
It'll be interesting since Germany sounds like it had a very successful launch.

I wouldn't be surprised if the total number for UK/EU included was above 500k.

That's all I can think about when I wander around the world in BotW doing nothing but exploring. An open-world Animal Crossing would be crazy, though I don't think it will happen. I think they want the town to remain small.

I want my open world Animal Crossing goddamnit!.

ramparter

Banned

It means that gamers bought the console and not the Wii Sports family people :p

Top Bottom