• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: new Firmware update available (Ver. 3.0.0)

NimbusD

It really couldn't be used in Wired mode before? Sounds like a bug that's been fixed rather than a new feature. Kind of pathetic.

Also, what's the HDMI feature that people are liking? I'm not sure I understand the big deal.

"I literally dont understand anything but it's all pathetic".

Cool dude.

NimbusD

Cool that I can add Wii U friends. Apparently there's a bunch of friends I haven't really talked to in a few years who actually grabbed switches. Dope..

antibolo

Banned
Ooo shit, options to update connected controllers. Suggests that controllers can either be fixed or have new features added with firmware updates. I'm assuming they're going to wind up strengthening the signal. That's fucking rad.

That problem was already identified months ago. They don't need to increase power. If your left joycon has the disconnect problem you can either send it to Nintendo or fix it yourself.

Red

What is the purpose of inverted and black/white color options? I've wondered why they are included as accessibility features on iOS as well.

Fedele

- Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode

NOW WE'RE TALKING!

I had complained about that yesterday. Haven't had a single issue after 3.0 on KS8000.

Blues1990

This is a good start for some QOF changes for the Switch. I'm still hoping for Cloud Saving to become a thing, along with having Netflix become available for the system, but none the less a good start.

NimbusD

That problem was already identified months ago. They don't need to increase power. If your left joycon has the disconnect problem you can either send it to Nintendo or fix it yourself.

Yeah but it doesn't completely fix it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpCqUTMuIF8

Go to around 6:50, still loses signal. Considering how small the joycon is and how it's used in motion games, I wouldn't call that acceptable for all situations. Anyway, it's just a guess.

The Cowboy

I just want the ability to transfer saves to the SD card, 3.0 and still not having this is just unacceptable - hell, it not being on 1.0 was a joke.

I wonder if the HDMI update will mean that I no longer get that annoying HDMI channel pop-up on my LG. Immune never auto-switched inputs, I just get an alert on my screen whilst watching TV.

jrcbandit

I just want the ability to transfer saves to the SD card, 3.0 and still not having this is just unacceptable - hell, it not being on 1.0 was a joke.

I assume this is to prevent save game hacking and to stop any potential save game hacks that were used to enable custom firmware on the 3ds. Of course this is no excuse for not having Cloud saves.... Cloud saves had better be a thing when they implement their paid online next year ;p.

Mashing

- Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode

This is a big one. This bothered me to no end.

Is there a way to disable the user profile selecting screen that pops up when selecting a game to launch? I kind of remember seeing that option at launch but I can't find it.

Reason I need it is that a couple of my friends created profiles on my Switch and played some Zelda, but that hasn't happened again in months, and in the mean time I am asked to select my profile every time I'm switching a game. I'd rather skip that step but would prefer not to delete my friends' profiles just in case they want to continue their game at some point in time.

NeOak

68.gif
Nice Shitpost

moeman

Is there a way to disable the user profile selecting screen that pops up when selecting a game to launch? I kind of remember seeing that option at launch but I can't find it.

Reason I need it is that a couple of my friends created profiles on my Switch and played some Zelda, but that hasn't happened again in months, and in the mean time I am asked to select my profile every time I'm switching a game. I'd rather skip that step but would prefer not to delete my friends' profiles just in case they want to continue their game at some point in time.

It asks you to select a profile even if you only have one profile (at least before the update) so I imagine it's still the same.

KingBroly

Banned
Damn, now I really will want to use it for hard mode.

But which one, B&W or inverted...I guess inverted would be harder.

Also good to see Splatoon 2 now has a hard mode with the B&W option.

I imagine grayscale would be harder for BotW since a lot of the areas have similar colors for everything.

It asks you to select a profile even if you only have one profile (at least before the update) so I imagine it's still the same.

Even before this update: if you have only one user profile, then you are given the option in System Settings to skip the user select prompt. What they need to do now is give us the same option even if we have multiple users.

sleepnaught

The headphone volume boost was much needed, so thanks for that. But still waiting on themes. What's the hold up there? Netflix and other app supported would nice, but dont expect that until next year, if at all, sadly.

Kolma

Even before this update: if you have only one user profile, then you are given the option in System Settings to skip the user select prompt. What they need to do now is give us the same option even if we have multiple users.

Pressing the A button a second time really isn't all that time consuming...
besides 1-2 Switch doesn't even ask for a user!

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Just pointing out that because the firmware update adds Switch Pro as corded controller option, that the Pokken Controller is recognized as a Switch Pro Controller when plugged into the dock.

Using the Pokken Controller for 2D games on the Switch works perfectly, so for anyone that was hating the Switch Pro's D-Pad now has a real good alternative in the Pokken Controller.

Playing Puyo Puyo Tetris with it is beautiful.

Maengun1

oh man, I use 3-port HDMI switch that keeps my Switch, PS4, and Xbone all connected to one HDMI port on my tv and that constant flipping to the Switch when it was in sleep mode was the most annoying fugging thing in the world. Finally

Kolma

Just pointing out that because the firmware update adds Switch Pro as corded controller option, that the Pokken Controller is recognized as a Switch Pro Controller when plugged into the dock.

Using the Pokken Controller for 2D games on the Switch works perfectly, so for anyone that was hating the Switch Pro's D-Pad now has a real good alternative in the Pokken Controller.

Playing Puyo Puyo Tetris with it is beautiful.

Does it appear as a black controller?
Need to find my Pikachu edition after work tomorrow to see if it shows up as yellow (More than likely it won't)
But yeah the buttons and D-pad on it are amazing, I would use it on my computer since Wii U had very limited use for it.

If this keeps up I wonder if GCN controllers will be treated as Pro controllers and work everywhere.

JaseMath

Can't DL right now, but can somebody answer as to whether or not the sound effects are consistent during data entry? Before (i,e. entering credit card info, friend codes) the tick! only happened randomly, lagging behind the actual entry. It was S L O P P Y and the incompleteness it lends to overall UX bugs me to no end.

Ilonis

Neo Member
Can't DL right now, but can somebody answer as to whether or not the sound effects are consistent during data entry? Before (i,e. entering credit card info, friend codes) the tick! only happened randomly, lagging behind the actual entry. It was S L O P P Y and the incompleteness it lends to overall UX bugs me to no end.

Tested this for you and on my end, the ticks were consistent and during every number. I tried this via adding a friend code both with touch and button input. Don't know what it sounded like beforehand, though.

sangreal

To be fair, I don't think it's a default feature on consoles. For example, I don't think PS4 got this functionality until 2016. That said, I think game consoles should come with this functionality out of the box and it should be part of the default functionality, rather than a feature added later. Perhaps Xbox already does this.

360 did not but Xbox One controllers have worked that way since launch

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Glad they're letting you add Wii U and 3DS friends now. Might need to delete a few randoms that added me on Wii U, though...

lol at inverted mode. Gonna try to play MK8D for a bit, see how it looks.

EDIT: I like how Water Park looks in this mode, haha.

My Pro Controller has an issue with the joysticks where if you flick it in one direction, it will register a movement in that direction and then immediately register a movement in the opposite direction.

I believe this is a deadzone issue that most likely can be fixed in the future through the new Update Controller option, which is exciting.

Top Bottom