• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Was the Best-Selling Video Game System in April; Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Zedark

Artificial shortages™️

La1TL3B.png

Sorry for posting this here, I just wanted to share it without creating drama on my twitter... Seems to be relevant to some responses in this topic though.

"Another sexist mansplainer". Because you said it wasn't artificial scarcity. Someone's batshit crazy in that conversation, and it's not you.

280k is decent. I know GAF expected way more, but the stock just ins't there.

Japan + US was like ~500k for April (28 days) I think, so Nintendo probably shipped like 800k worldwide.

TLZ

Banned
Isn't 280k low though? The previous month was around 900k.

Also, that says that the PS4 sold less than that which wouldn't add up given the numbers it's doing every month?

Something doesn't add up.

Sure it's not 820k?

Artificial shortages™️

La1TL3B.png

Sorry for posting this here, I just wanted to share it without creating drama on my twitter... Seems to be relevant to some responses in this topic though.

How dare you make a cogent and convincing argument based on facts on Twitter!

I understand why Nintendo didn't push for having too much stock on hand for the launch, but damn. Still, if demand remains in subsequent months, then sales should still clear out stock as quickly as it comes. MK8D's legs should prove interesting as well.

jacobeid

Banned
Artificial shortages™️

La1TL3B.png

The stupidity and lack of thought here is outstanding.

Congrats to Nintendo. It's well deserved.

I was one of those people. First proper Nintendo console I've owned since the NES.

Had a bunch of people over this past weekend, and an impromptu Tetris tournament kicked up in my kitchen. Everybody asked.. "Is there Mario Kart?" (I didn't have it) or "Is there smash bros?"

cheesekao

Realistically speaking, how soon can we expect Nintendo to sort out their stock issue? It'd be bad if they can't produce enough for the holiday season.

In regards to that twitter account, considering they keep using the word mansplaining on all replies that aren't considered as such, I'd say it's just an account solely for harassing.

Why would that happen? April may have had MK8D, but there was also the air shipping thing going on in March, which seems likely to have taken away from the April shipments.

We heard about major shipments for MK8 launch in late April.

So far nothing for May.
May has no big game release for Nintendo, so i doubt they continue the air shipping.

Hence less supply than April and lower sales.
87k seems obviously very low, but ~ 150k only i something i could see happen

The responses in this thread... Are people that unplugged from the Switch and its general situation that they don't know how scare they are? As various posters are saying, I've also yet to see one at retail. There are signs at my local Bestbuys and Gamestops specifically regarding the stock and people looking to secure one.

Isn't 280k low though? The previous month was around 900k.

Also, that says that the PS4 sold less than that which wouldn't add up given the numbers it's doing every month?

Something doesn't add up.

Sure it's not 820k?

Part of the stock for April was shipped in March due to high demand. They are supposedly improving production but that will probably only be noticeable from May forward.

Vena

Realistically speaking, how soon can we expect Nintendo to sort out their stock issue? It'd be bad if they can't produce enough for the holiday season.

Should be fine by then, but they're seemingly producing somewhere in the vicinity of 1mil per month right now and selling it. April's going to be skewed since stock from April was air shipped at the end of March, otherwise by boat/normal shipment it would have been stock in April.

We heard about major shipments for MK8 launch in late April.

So far nothing for May.
May has no big game release for Nintendo, so i doubt they continue the air shipping.

Hence less supply than April and lower sales.
87k seems obviously very low, but ~ 150k only i something i could see happen

May 21st has a "restock relaunch" event for some retailers in the US just as they had at the end of April.

Artificial shortages™️

La1TL3B.png

Be careful to not make her too mad. She might stab you in an alcohol/drug-fueled rage and get off Scott-free because it might affect her career.

Kikorin

So Nintendo is sending about 70k Switch is USA for week and 45k per week in Japan, I wonder how much they are allocating weekly for EU.

Toni

Wait, the base sales figure for April was +400k?

Even if stock was a hassle, I feel like folks are officially starting to put the Switch on an insandely high pedestal, sales wise.

I get the feeling people also expect the Switch to mantain a trajectory of 400k every month or so.

Like what the fuck.

Not even PS4 did that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Artificial shortages™️

La1TL3B.png

That's, like, an image that perfectly captures the meaning of "It escalated quickly", lmao

Necro900

That's weird though, switch is readily available in Europe.
Here in Italy every major retailer has stock, I see it pretty much everywhere on shelves and even Amazon.it/.es/.de/.co.uk carries it.

And it's not like Nintendo systems don't sell here. Could there be such disparity in stock supplies between regions?

EDIT: I guess making people import from Europe is all according to the artificial scarcity keikaku.

Here in Italy every major retailer has stock, I see it pretty much everywhere on shelves and even Amazon.it/.es/.de/.co.uk carries it.

And it's not like Nintendo systems don't sell here. Could there be such disparity in stock supplies between regions?

Europe as a reagion is weaker for Nintendo than Japan or NA. Outside of France and Germany Nintendo isn't particularly big.

Wait, the base sales figure for April was +400k?

Even if stock was a hassle, I feel like folks are officially starting to put the Switch on an insandely high pedestal, sales wise.

I get the feeling people also expect the Switch to mantain a trajectory of 400k every month or so.

Like what the fuck.

Not even PS4 did that.

Eh, it's just because launch demand has been high. What PS4 did is irrelevant given the difference in launch dates

flkraven

Maybe the early adopters in Europe have all bought one already?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
The responses in this thread... Are people that unplugged from the Switch and its general situation that they don't know how scare they are? As various posters are saying, I've also yet to see one at retail. There are signs at my local Bestbuys and Gamestops specifically regarding the stock and people looking to secure one.

For now it's all Nintendo haters have. 'Oh it sold badly! Are there still supply issues?'

Don't worry there is still time for Nintendo to go 3rd party!

It reminds me a lot of the Wii situation, so I'm guessing in the first quarter of next year. But maybe not even then depending on the hype around the new Mario game, Splatoon 2 and potentially others that could be announced at E3.

EDIT: I guess making people import from Europe is all according to the artificial scarcity keikaku.

Just checked, but it doesn't seem like it's available from Amazon.de/co.uk etc from my end?

Litri

Nintendo is starting to eat strongly on the market share with Switch, and 3DS is being the icing on the cake for that bite. I wonder if this will continue during summer but whatever happens these are great news for Ninty.

phanphare

Banned
damn, Mario Kart killed it

Switch needs to get its stock situation figured out so it can actually meet demand. either way Switch is looking to have some crazy momentum and I think things might get pretty crazy for its first holiday on the market.

I'd say if May shows another drop-off and it's still completely sold out then we can start to worry about problems with production. Right now we only really have two data points and one big asterisk in that they shipped out many consoles via plane in March taking away from April sales.

I really don't see demand being satisfied anytime soon. Maybe August at the earliest?

Phamit

It's available to order on Amazon.de, but it's out of stock

Toni

What do you mean and?

The Switch wont be pulling a PS4. Or to even think it will is out of the question.

Especially this early.

No console will ever sell as much as the PS4. Id love to be proven wrong though. Nintendo needs a homerun.

Quonny

They need to just keep on keepin' on.

After July the demand will die down due to lack of new, big releases and people will be able to buy Switches. Then holidays will hit and it'll be pandemonium all over again, but late summer/early fall should see Switches on store shelves regularly.

At least, I hope. I think that's the best strategy.

Top Bottom