• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Was the Best-Selling Video Game System in April; Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

What do you mean and?

The Switch wont be pulling a PS4. Or to even think it will is out of the question.

Especially this early.

No console will ever sell as much as the PS4.

The PS4 didn't launch simultaneously in Japan. If you shift Japan Switch stock to NA you pass 400k easily.

You know this.

They need to just keep on keepin' on.

After July the demand will die down due to lack of new, big releases and people will be able to buy Switches. Then holidays will hit and it'll be pandemonium all over again, but late summer/early fall should see Switches on store shelves regularly.

At least, I hope. I think that's the best strategy.

While I agree that it might slow down in August, this assumes that there won't be any big releases slated for August-September announced at E3 which I'm sure is not going to be the case. We'll have FE Warriors and the juggernaut known as Mario x Rabbids (sarcasm) rumored to be releasing in those months.

Obviously neither of those seem as huge as Mario Kart or Splatoon, but it should be enough to keep up a good bit of interest.

NeOak

Then they are really fools if they are unable to produce and ship more than 300k consoles a month in the US.
Uh huh

You got your ass handed to you.

Still waiting on the info about where we can buy one since scarcity isn't that much of a problem according to you.

Quonny

While I agree that it might slow down in August, this assumes that there won't be any big releases slated for August-September announced at E3 which I'm sure is not going to be the case. We'll have FE Warriors and the juggernaut known as Mario x Rabbids (sarcasm) rumored to be releasing in those months.

Obviously neither of those seem as huge as Mario Kart or Splatoon, but it should be enough to keep up a good bit of interest.

I'm not saying it'll die, but FE appeals to the hardcore that already have a Switch, and I'm sure the minor products they'll announce at E3 for this early fall won't be system sellers (don't mean that as an insult).

If they keep production up I'm sure August/Sept/Oct will see Switches on shelves.

I do fear for this holiday season though.

fucking r i p

What do you mean and?

The Switch wont be pulling a PS4. Or to even think it will is out of the question.

Especially this early.

No console will ever sell as much as the PS4. Id love to be proven wrong though. Nintendo needs a homerun.

There were consoles in the past, that sold more.
And you really need to specify your comment.
Lifetime? Yearly? Launch? US?

What do you mean?

What do you mean and?

Especially this early.

No console will ever sell as much as the PS4. Id love to be proven wrong though. Nintendo needs a homerun.

Hate to break it for you but...

PS4 is not the best selling console of all time.

I'm not saying it'll die, but FE appeals to the hardcore that already have a Switch, and I'm sure the minor products they'll announce at E3 for this early fall won't be system sellers (don't mean that as an insult).

If they keep production up I'm sure August/Sept/Oct will see Switches on shelves.

I do fear for this holiday season though.

fucking r i p

Yeah I agree it'll likely slow down but we really don't know what will be announced for those months. So that may change after E3.

As for this holiday, if they don't have a massive, massive increase in supply ready then I really think there must be problems with production. Whatever stock they get out there it'll still probably be a bloodbath too.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
By June there should be more units in the shelves. Upping the production line takes a while, plus the shipping.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wait, the base sales figure for April was +400k?

Even if stock was a hassle, I feel like folks are officially starting to put the Switch on an insandely high pedestal, sales wise.

I get the feeling people also expect the Switch to mantain a trajectory of 400k every month or so.

Like what the fuck.

Not even PS4 did that.

Gotta remember the Switch is also seen as a handheld. A Nintendo handheld, which has historically sold well. I cant remember off the top of my head the months the 3DS sold the most but it was a few.

What do you mean and?

Especially this early.

And by know I think you realize the error of this part, lol

nubbe

Artificial shortages™️

La1TL3B.png

Sorry for posting this here, I just wanted to share it without creating drama on my twitter... Seems to be relevant to some responses in this topic though.
I would think Nintendo shipped almost 1 million units world wide

Whilst I don't believe that the stock issue is deliberate, I don't think it's such a bad thing. The longer the scarcity exists, the longer the buzz continues and if they can keep that buzz going to winter and have a decent inventory ready to go by then, they are going to sell huge numbers at Christmas. They won't even have to relaunch it.

What do you mean and?

Especially this early.

While sales of PS4 has been decent increase over PS3 in US it really hasn't sold that amazingly in US compared to past leading systems. It's all about global sales when talking about impressive PS4 sales. Especially in gaming markets outside of traditional console markets PS4 is killing it compared to past systems.

It's good that it made #1 but it does illustrate that Nintendo need to get their production in order, stat. Switch was still ridiculously hard to get even leading up to MK8; I didn't get mine until the week after. Forget the holidays, they should get it sorted before summer.

Artificial shortages™️

La1TL3B.png

Sorry for posting this here, I just wanted to share it without creating drama on my twitter... Seems to be relevant to some responses in this topic though.

I'm 90% sure this is a troll.

seady

The Switch actually make me wish all the multi platform games can come to the Switch instead. I rather play games like Rime, Red Dead, FIFA etc on the Switch. The ability to play on the go so easily is just amazing.

PSFan

While sales of PS4 has been decent increase over PS3 in US it really hasn't sold that amazingly in US compared to past leading systems. It's all about global sales when talking about impressive PS4 sales. Especially in gaming markets outside of traditional console markets PS4 is killing it compared to past systems.

The PS4 sold a million in one day, in that region alone. What other console has done that? They didn't need to launch simultaneously in Japan.

ggx2ac

Gotta remember the Switch is also seen as a handheld. A Nintendo handheld, which has historically sold well. I cant remember off the top of my head the months the 3DS sold the most but it was a few.

The Switch is a $300 'handheld' and the 3DS bombed after launch as a $250 handheld.

It's getting a little silly to generalise that it sold well because it's a handheld.

The PS4 sold a million in one day, in that region alone. What other console has done that? They didn't need to launch simultaneously in Japan.

I mean after the launch period. PS4 is massively behind systems like PS2, GBA or Wii in US and yet globally is not that far behind (way ahead of GBA).

Usobuko

Banned
What lies ahead in the next few months is more intriguing, especially after tier-1 franchises like Zelda and Mario are out for the first 2 months.

Awesome! Hoping they can keep up the momentum. It's pretty clear that demand is exceeding their production, but I've seen some analysts note that this puts them well on track for their FY goals. I'm curious to see how long it'll take for these things to stop flying off of store shelves. Either demand will slow down or they'll ramp up production considerably. Given how conservative they've been lately, I think it's likely that they'll increase production slightly but by no means will they crank things up to 10.

The Switch is a $300 'handheld' and the 3DS bombed after launch as a $250 handheld.

It's getting a little silly to generalise that it sold well because it's a handheld.

I literally dunno what people's illusions about the 3DS are. It wasn't strong in the US.

It is entirely possible that it looks supply constrained because a percentage of what they are making is being held back because they want to have availability during the holiday season.

Vinnk

So X1 and PS4 sold a total of less than 348,000?

Nintendo may have idiotically under-shipped, but even so they got to #1.

I haven't been paying much attention to NPD lately, has the bar really become that low?

Nintendo at E3: Pokémon Stars release August.

Switch assembly line workers: Mother Fucker!!!!

Nintendo has something big coming in July with Splatoon 2. If they manage something major for August like Pokémon Stars with Mario Odyssey and others games on the horizon for this year they will have stock issues and sale momentum to carry them into next year.

Trago

I don't know anything about the process of shipping, but Nintendo should be able to sort things out by the summer right?

fhqwhgads

How long did it take for Nintendo to deal with their previous hardware droughts? Might be a way to guess how long it'll take for the Switch situation to be handled.

ASIS

March 906k
April 280k (626k decline)

By my math, if this 626k decline trend continues the Switch will sell -346k units in May (scalpers returning them due to no demand, of course)

Does that mean there will be a total of 0 Switch sales between March to June?

That's terrible! Wii U situation all over again!

Seriously though, I know this isn't exactly comparable but how much did the Wii sell in its first april?

Cheech

Good for them. I honestly thought this system was going to crater and kill the company, and I'm thrilled to be wrong.

I still don't get the immediate appeal, personally, considering the only two games worth a damn are Wii U ports, but it's all good. I will pick one up eventually when there's a Zelda pack in model.

Jazzem

Fingers crossed that supply doesn't continue to be an issue for the system, I'd hate for folks wanting the Switch struggling to get it. Wii's first year springs to mind on that, heh.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't know anything about the process of shipping, but Nintendo should be able to sort things out by the summer right?

not necessarily if they will hold back quantities for the holidays

How long did it take for Nintendo to deal with their previous hardware droughts? Might be a way to guess how long it'll take for the Switch situation to be handled.

never being able to, imho. they increased the Wii manufacturing, but the timings needed were so long compared to the demand that once done, the demand was already slowing down. and this caused a lot of trouble in managing the new factories involved.
The fact that they already stated that they HOPE to keep the 10 millions shipped by this FY without being sure of being able to do so is, to me, confirmation that they are not repeating that kind of issue, so probably the shortages will be solved by a natural decline in demand, more than in a solid increase in production after the 2017 holiday period

If I had to guess I would imagine the screen / battery is the hold up on the whole process. They would have to QA Test these things prior to shipping.

Peltz

1. Sony and MS are much larger corporations
2. Wii U was a colossal disaster for Nintendo
3. Nintendo is a very conservative company in general

I think reasons 2 and 3 are correct but reason 1 probably is not much of a factor, other than to explain the underlying basis for reason 3.

andthebeatgoeson

Screams supply constraints. 280k for USA, 220k for Japan I'd predict another 250k for whole of Europe/ROW. That's much less than a million

Their second month was Christmas, so no point even comparing them
8 million over a year, was the initial estimate. That breaks down into 666k+ (😂) per month. I guess JPN will be the first indication of increased shipments since you get weekly numbers.

That means... everyone go shit up the media create thread. It needs more hot takes.

ggx2ac

It is entirely possible that it looks supply constrained because a percentage of what they are making is being held back because they want to have availability during the holiday season.

They're trying to fulfil demand now, they can't afford to put stock into inventory for the holidays which is 6 months away.

It's obvious their production numbers haven't increased yet which they said in their last Q&A.

We'll know by May if things have improved which is for Switch hardware numbers to be higher than 280k for NPD.

Top Bottom