• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Was the Best-Selling Video Game System in April; Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I think reasons 2 and 3 are correct but reason 1 probably is not much of a factor, other than to explain the underlying basis for reason 3.

My point regarding reason 1 is that Sony and Microsoft manufacture a lot more products, so it's likely easier and quicker for them to ramp up production when needed. They also just seem to be better in general when it comes to supply chain management. That's not to say I believe Nintendo engages in "artificial scarcity" or anything silly like that.

Deku89

While a little lower than I thought, it's understandable. They took shipments from April to March and the increased manufacturing hasn't hit yet.

It'll be interesting at what point they hit demand. I'm starting to doubt it'll be this year.

Buggy Loop

You can't ramp up production in a speedy manner, it's not just like flipping a switch (hur dur dur). They were very conservative with output, considering what happened with WiiU, but now i hope they are recalculating numbers for the upcoming months/year, they have a hit on their hands, every customer walking into a store to buy it and not having any on shelves, is a potential customer loss.

Zedark

While a little lower than I thought, it's understandable. They took shipments from April to March and the increased manufacturing hasn't hit yet.

It'll be interesting at what point they hit demand. I'm starting to doubt it'll be this year.

Yeah, this April number is understandable when you factor in the shipments taken from April with those air freight shipments. I am worried about May, since the Media Create threads show is that shipments are currently even worse than they were in April, so that doesn't instill me with confidence May will be up from April.

johnny956

Currently supply hasn't increased in Japan in May either so hard to hit demand when it seems like supply is dropping

Seik

Banned
Maybe 10million for the year was an accurate number. How can supply be this constrained?

My guess is that Nintendo took their April shipments to try to cover the unexpected demand for March, leaving April solely on what they're able to produce.

They declared they will ramp production up, but this doesn't happen with a finger snap.

I have friends in So Cal looking for a Switch daily and they are having no luck. 4 guys calling everyday to every Best Buy and Target within a 50 mile radius(they refuse to support Gamestop with their bundles)

People who say there is no supply constraint are just lying to themselves. Obviously I don't know about the rest of the state's but it's really hard to find one on shelves around here. One of my buddies who has one is a manager at Best Buy and he says as soon as they receive afew, they are gone within hour.

Zedark

Wouldn't it be a better comparison to track Wii's first month of sales vs. it's second month and track the increase/decline in production?

Not necessarily, since Wii launched in the holidays and therefore Nintendo will have predicted big sales in the second month as well. Of course, the current comparison isn't great either, but it is what was asked. There's simply no direct comparison between the two situations possible yet.

Wouldn't it be a better comparison to track Wii's first month of sales vs. it's second month and track the increase/decline in production?

Not really, since companies will always hold back their supply for the holiday season. It could be very possible that a certain percentage of Switches being produced now are going to sit in warehouses until they can be shipped during the holiday season.

ASIS

Edit: Just looked it up for the US...

November 2006 (Launched the 19th)

December 2006 (Full month sales)

January 2006

It doesn't work since Wii Launched in holidays whereas Switched launched in March.

Falchion

I would expect the Switch to lead the hardware sales for the rest of the year since it's so new and there will be big games coming out for it.

Clefargle

Good for them. I honestly thought this system was going to crater and kill the company, and I'm thrilled to be wrong.

I still don't get the immediate appeal, personally, considering the only two games worth a damn are Wii U ports, but it's all good. I will pick one up eventually when there's a Zelda pack in model.

lol, don't hold your breath. The way you said all of this reeks of salt, even though it looks like you took pains to sweeten up the wording.

Not necessarily, since Wii launched in the holidays and therefore Nintendo will have predicted big sales in the second month as well. Of course, the current comparison isn't great either, but it is what was asked. There's simply no direct comparison between the two situations possible yet.

Not really, since companies will always hold back their supply for the holiday season. It could be very possible that a certain percentage of Switches being produced now are going to sit in warehouses until they can be shipped during the holiday season.

Gotya! Thanks for the input guys, I guess launching outside of the Holiday season really throws things out of whack here.

Edit: Just looked it up for the US...

November 2006 (Launched the 19th)

December 2006 (Full month sales)

January 2006

Comparing March and April to November and December will never ever make sense.

E-phonk

Banned
Maybe 10million for the year was an accurate number. How can supply be this constrained?

Even just shipping from China to the US takes ~20 days. If they want to up the production they need to open additional lines. They also need additional parts (screens, motherboards, ram, flash, X1's, ... etc). Some of these are custom made, so in that case their supplies would also need to do additional production/QA/shipment etc..

All this together means that if they decided to go for a higher production volume during march, you won't see a huge increase until summer.

Futureman

So even though Wii launched during the holidays, Switch is ahead on the 2-month total (+106K).

that's pretty damn good. Hopefully Nintendo can get more stock to market.

Turrican3

I see it pretty much everywhere on shelves and even Amazon.it/.es/.de/.co.uk carries it.
That's not true as of now.

UK: stock due 25th may
ES: scalpers only
FR: scalpers only
DE: out of stock

The only one having stock available is Italy, definitely not the strongest european market for Nintendo (IIRC that would be Germany and France).

iswasdoes

Great to see nintendo doing well again. I really cant understand why people think it would be better with them out of the hardware market, they show so many times (switch probably the best example) that you need innovators to create the products noone knew they wanted.

Zedark

That's weird though, switch is readily available in Europe.
Here in Italy every major retailer has stock, I see it pretty much everywhere on shelves and even Amazon.it/.es/.de/.co.uk carries it.

And it's not like Nintendo systems don't sell here. Could there be such disparity in stock supplies between regions?

EDIT: I guess making people import from Europe is all according to the artificial scarcity keikaku.

Except if you actually go to those pages you'll see that they are all out of stock, in fact, and only scalpers are offering units at inflated prices. So no evil keikaku here.

NSESN

So basically Nintendo shipped April stock to improve the situation for launch. With Arms only launching in June I don't expect the situation to improve in May.

NolbertoS

Great to see nintendo doing well again. I really cant understand why people think it would be better with them out of the hardware market, they show so many times (switch probably the best example) that you need innovators to create the products noone knew they wanted.

Thats why I love Nintendo's innovative culture. When there backs are against the wall, they come up with crazy new exciting products. Hope Nintendo can keep churning more innovative hardware in years to come

Top Bottom