• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Was the Best-Selling Video Game System in April; Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

And that came with a choice of a free game if people still remember.

cant believe I wasted that free game on Sonic Lost Worlds...

DANVR18.gif

breakfuss

Nintendo is bizarre, man. I remember not being able to track down a copy of Luigi's Mansion (3DS) during its launch a couple years back. I understand being conservative but this is just wildly missing the mark. People want to buy your stuff.

yyr

Anyone expecting Nintendo to put out an abundance of Switches after their last system was a flop are a bit naive.

No. No, no, no, no.

If Nintendo wants to go all-out with their new console, they need to manufacture enough of them to fill market demand. Whether their previous console flopped or not is irrelevant.

THE most important thing for a console is to sell as many of them as possible, as early as possible, in order to create a market for the software.

According to Wikipedia:

- the Wii sold 600k in its first 8 days, in the Americas only.
- the Wii sold 3.19 million worldwide in its first 6 weeks (11/19/2006 to 12/31/2006).
- the Wii sold 5.84 million worldwide by the end of 1Q 2007.
- the Wii sold 20.13 million worldwide by the end of 2007.

THAT is what created the insane market for Wii software. And while Wii shortages seemed to be everywhere back then, look at these numbers of units! They were obviously cranking out as many as they could...over 20 million shipped and sold in the first 14 months of release.

This would not have happened if Nintendo lacked the confidence in their product to produce over 20 million of them in that first year. Now, I'm not going to pretend that the console market of 2017 is the same as that of 2007. But seeing that demand is strong worldwide, why should the Nintendo of today have significantly less confidence in Switch than they had in Wii?

Talamius

Mario Kart sales are fantastic given the install base.

Switch stock issues are a real problem now. I have still not seen one in a store. Games, controllers, and accessories are readily available.

Zedark

No. No, no, no, no.

If Nintendo wants to go all-out with their new console, they need to manufacture enough of them to fill market demand. Whether their previous console flopped or not is irrelevant.

THE most important thing for a console is to sell as many of them as possible, as early as possible, in order to create a market for the software.

According to Wikipedia:

- the Wii sold 3.19 million worldwide in its first 6 weeks (11/19/2006 to 12/31/2006).

THAT is what created the insane market for Wii software. And while Wii shortages seemed to be everywhere back then, look at these numbers of units! They were obviously cranking out as many as they could...over 20 million shipped and sold in the first 14 months of release.

This would not have happened if Nintendo lacked the confidence in their product to produce over 20 million of them in that first year. Now, I'm not going to pretend that the console market of 2017 is the same as that of 2007. But seeing that demand is strong worldwide, why should the Nintendo of today have significantly less confidence in Switch than they had in Wii?
Your numbers presented here are pretty useless, since Reggie said Switch outpaced the Wii in the Americas, and Switch will be currently around 3.5 million after 2 months, which compared favourable with the 5.84 million after 5 months for the Wii. It's what comes after the current numbers that is important.

Switch has had great shipments during its first month, and much less impressive shipments during its second month. We know that they sped up shipments during March, and most likely that hurt numbers for April to some degree too. At this point, the numbers need to go up from this result in order to be considered good, but at this point I don't think you can say they are fucking up completely, though I wouldn't call it completely up to snuff either.

ksamedi

No. No, no, no, no.

According to Wikipedia:

That isnt that far off of what they will ship for Switch for the first 14 months. The Wii was sold out for several months if not years. They cranked up the production gradually. Their forcast for Switxh is already at 10 million for the coming 12 months and that is a conservative estimate. They will produce more and with how the sales are going they will surely ship more then 10 million.

Then they are really fools if they are unable to produce and ship more than 300k consoles a month in the US.

Maybe you should send them your resume. You seem to be an expert on magically increasing supplies.

What do you mean and?

The Switch wont be pulling a PS4. Or to even think it will is out of the question.

Especially this early.

No console will ever sell as much as the PS4. Id love to be proven wrong though. Nintendo needs a homerun.

Lol, no you won't. But your "concern" has been noted.

Kouriozan

I'm more surprised Nintendo managed to send supplies in the US, here in France it's pretty much sold out for 4 weeks straight, and I have been checking major websites daily.
Only stock I could find are from scalper at 400€+

jbluzb

I remember that nintendo is a toy company and one of the strategies of a toy company is artificial shortages to create premium demand for the toy.

It's quite baffling to see so many people say that 280k is bad, especially since this the first time in SIX YEARS that a platform has been able to reach those numbers in the U.S.

3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One. None of those have reached sales of 280k in April. Add in to this that Switch is supply constrained and this is a pretty good number. (whilst at the same time showing how much Nintendo needs to work to let supply catch up to the demand)

Get ready folks, come later this summer we'll be seeing the Switch take off in a way that the PS4 could only dream off.

Turrican3

I believe you're hugely underestimating the difference between Wii and Switch in terms of launch period (holidays vs march), riskiness (Wii was basically a TurboGC), actual cost of goods.

watershed

Banned
Good for Nintendo but the Switch continues to be in short supply. My local best buy is almost out of everything Switch related except games.

No. No, no, no, no.

According to Wikipedia:

The Switch is (EDIT: I think? I thought I saw someone earlier in this thread show those numbers) actually outpacing the Wii in the US, and it's likely on par or doing a fair bit better worldwide too. That Wii number by the end of 2007 has the benefit of having two holiday seasons, so I don't see the Switch getting to those numbers, but launch aligned by the end of 2017 I could see the Switch having sold more than the Wii after its first 10 months.

It's quite baffling to see so many people say that 280k is bad, especially since this the first time in SIX YEARS that a platform has been able to reach those numbers in the U.S.

3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One. None of those have reached sales of 280k in April. Add in to this that Switch is supply constrained and this is a pretty good number. (whilst at the same time showing how much Nintendo needs to work to let supply catch up to the demand)

Get ready folks, come later this summer we'll be seeing the Switch take off in a way that the PS4 could only dream off.

That does put it in perspective a bit, though it is the second month of a console's lifetime so you'd expect higher than average shipments.

gtj1092

Maybe you should send them your resume. You seem to be an expert on magically increasing supplies.

Lol, no you won't. But your "concern" has been noted.

Its not magic it's a manufactured product. Nintendo is directly responsible for how many are ordered to be made and shipped.

Forkball

Wii launched right before Christmas. I think we can safely assume the Switch will sell more in November than April. Either way, they definitely need to do what they can to increase stock.

Niks

There's no middle ground on these switch threads. Either its going to fail, or it's going to put Wii to shame.

JoeM86

It's so weird that people are acting like Nintendo are intentionally holding back or not making enough Switch consoles. It's the most daft thing ever. Only a finite amount can be built in a short time since the realised demand was high.

Its not magic it's a manufactured product. Nintendo is directly responsible for how many are ordered to be made and shipped.

Nintendo already made an order to the manufacturer/s for X number of products before the launch. The problem was that they severely underestimated the demand which, if you consider what they did with its predecessor, was understandable (simple explanation: there was an overstock of Wii U just festering in shelves right after launch). They already said they are ramping up production but as anyone who remotely has any idea of how manufacturing works knows, this won't be evident at least until the summer months or even the holidays.

Welfare

Switch First Two Months: 1186K
March: 906K
April: 280K

3DS First Two months: 592K
March: 398K
April: 194K

3DS First 6 months: 1175K

Wii U First 2 Months: 885K
Wii U First 6 Months: 1187K

Wii First 2 Months: 1080K
DS First 2 Months: 1225K

If you're going to steal this to put on Twitter please credit!

It's so weird that people are acting like Nintendo are intentionally holding back or not making enough Switch consoles. It's the most daft thing ever. Only a finite amount can be built in a short time since the realised demand was high.

I mean, it's very likely that they are holding back (or will begin to) a small amount of stock to allow them to ship much higher numbers during the holiday season. But that's probably happening exactly because of the reason you said- it's not possible to massively ramp up production immediately or just for a 2 month period.

E-phonk

Banned

As I said on the last page:
Even just shipping from China to the US takes ~20 days. If they want to increase the production they need to open additional lines. They also need additional parts (screens, motherboards, ram, flash, X1's, ... etc). Some of these are custom made, so in that case their supplies would also need to do additional production/QA/shipment etc..

All this together means that if they decided to go for a higher production volume during march, you won't see a huge increase until summer.

So before launch they didn't expect to break records like this. And no one really did (there are threads full of crow that show that). So when they said they would increase production, they probably did but it takes a few months until you will see the results of that.

Perhaps they'll ship more units to North America now that supply in Europe looks pretty healthy.
Don't know where you are looking but in Belgium it's still sold out in most places (coolblue, bol.com, game mania). So is Amazon in DE, FR, UK and ES.
amazon.it has them in stock but they don't ship here (don't know what countries they do ship to).

ggx2ac

Switch First Two Months: 1186K
March: 906K
April: 280K

3DS First Two months: 592K
March: 398K
April: 194K

3DS First 6 months: 1175K

Wii U First 2 Months: 885K
Wii U First 6 Months: 1187K

Wii First 2 Months: 1080K
DS First 2 Months: 1225K

If you're going to steal this to put on Twitter please credit!

Context for anyone reading this, this is the best comparison to make because other console launches were in the holidays.

Plus, 1.32 million 3DS units were shipped to the Americas on launch month. Probably 1 million were just for the US. That shows how badly overstocked the 3DS was.

yyr

Your numbers presented here are pretty useless, since Reggie said Switch outpaced the Wii in the Americas, and Switch will be currently around 3.5 million after 2 months, which compared favourable with the 5.84 million after 5 months for the Wii. It's what comes after the current numbers that is important.

That is basically the point I was making. I was refuting the comment that said "they should be conservative because the Wii U flopped." No, no they shouldn't. Seeing this high demand, they need to double down, just as they did with Wii.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't believe Nintendo is hiding back stock. What would be the point in holding back stock for the holiday season? Isn't it more important to build up a base?

I remember that nintendo is a toy company and one of the strategies of a toy company is artificial shortages to create premium demand for the toy.

Not this shit again.

They're not a toy company, that's just trying to label them something while acting like the other two are above it all.

And the shortages aren't artificial. Educate yourself.

There's no middle ground on these switch threads. Either its going to fail, or it's going to put Wii to shame.

No reason not to go big with predictions. It's not as if they ever come up later. I mean, from time to time, someone will say "I called it", myself included. And no one cares. So might as well go big and be wrong.

Anyway, these numbers are fine. The launch was a huge home run, and Mario Kart has kept interest high. They need more units, obviously, but they still have time to provide them without risking interest falling much.

The only bad thing about these numbers is that they're going to feed the "artificial demand" trolls and idiots.

That is basically the point I was making. I was refuting the comment that said "they should be conservative because the Wii U flopped." No, no they shouldn't. Seeing this high demand, they need to double down, just as they did with Wii.

Huh? No one's telling them to continue with low shipments now, we're just saying they were understandably conservative during the leadup to launch due to the issues with the Wii U. Also they likely have doubled down (literally) according to that WSJ article. And they're still outpacing the Wii in the US, with a March launch nonetheless.

I don't believe Nintendo is hiding back stock. What would be the point in holding back stock for the holiday season? Isn't it more important to build up a base?

I would think all console makers do this to an extent. It's probably far cheaper and easier to hold back a percentage of all produced stock (1-2%?) over the year in order to have far higher shipments for the holidays than it is to just temporarily ramp up production in the months leading up to the holidays. That's just my speculation though, I don't know for sure.

Zedark

Alright, I agree with that. But I don't think most of the people here were referring to right now when they said Nintendo would be conservative, but rather to before the launch. As many have said, ramping up production takes time, so even if they recognise the demand is there, it'll take some months before a higher steady supply line has been established. It all depends on when exactly they decided to up production, which is something we don't know unfortunately (though we do know that they are increasing production, as Kimishima said so to investors).

ggx2ac

I would think all console makers do this to an extent. It's probably far cheaper and easier to hold back a percentage of all produced stock (1-2%?) over the year in order to have far higher shipments for the holidays than it is to just temporarily ramp up production in the months leading up to the holidays. That's just my speculation though, I don't know for sure.

They don't need to do that, when orders from retailers slow down then they end up with stock to put into inventory because their production is independent of retail orders.

They don't need to hold back stock when it's in their best interests to fulfill demand now.

There is no apple to apple comparisons here, so I'll just list out the 2nd month's sales and the first April's sales for these systems. Unfortunately, I only have numbers for these systems. Maybe someone else can fill in the others that I'm missing?

2nd month sales

Xbox - 690,817 (December)
Wii - 604,200 (December)
GC - 558,200 (December)
PS3 - 490,700 (December)
360 - 281,441 (December)
Switch - 280,000+ (April)
PS2 - 187,554 (November)

Note that all these other systems' 2nd month sales were during the holidays, the biggest selling months of the year. Switch's 2nd month was April.

1st April Sales

Wii - 360,000
PS2 - 326,014
360 - 295,000
Switch - 280,000+
PS3 - 82,000
GC - 81,195
Xbox - 77,457

These numbers are from my own spreadsheet, when NPD actually reported numbers.

There's no sense holding back stock for the holidays when it's still 8 months away, especially it the product is currently selling like hot cake.

Top Bottom