• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Was the Best-Selling Video Game System in April; Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Cipherr

Stock is shit. I still cant find one. They are sold out everywhere.

Edit: Before people start ragging on me, I realize they are coming off the WiiU which was the biggest bomb ever, Im just saying.

Honest question; why are Nintendo having issues keeping up with demand? Sony and Microsoft didn't have this problem, or at least not as bad, did they?

Generally speaking, it's more dangerous to produce too many consoles than too few, as storage costs for millions of unsold units ain't cheap. That happened with the Wii U, where they infamously had negative shipments in Q1 2013 in Europe because they massively overshipped the console and actually had retailers sending them back. In order to cut down on the unsold stock, Nintendo started selling brand new units as "refurbished" units for $200 from their online store. Better to take the loss on the sale than have them sitting around in a warehouse collecting dust.

And you could probably imagine why Nintendo would be inclined to be a little conservative with their estimates after the Wii U. If reports are to be believed though, they're already ramping up production to meet the demand. It takes time and we won't see them catching up for months, maybe even a whole year, but it'll get better for them.

I don't recall Xbox ever having such struggle keeping up with demand, but Sony did back in the PS2 days. There were "artificial scarcity" conspiracies floated back then too.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Then they are really fools if they are unable to produce and ship more than 300k consoles a month in the US.

Production lines aren't something that just magically hokus pocus grow in an instant with heightened demand. It takes time.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
more than 280,000 units sold? Imagine how much more they will have sold if they didn't constraint the sales artificially at all.

Honest question; why are Nintendo having issues keeping up with demand? Sony and Microsoft didn't have this problem, or at least not as bad, did they?
Sony and Microsoft didn't do a simultaneous worldwide launch, specially Microsoft who only launched the X1 in a few countries on it's first year.

Interfectum

Stock is shit. I still cant find one. They are sold out everywhere.

Edit: Before people start ragging on me, I realize they are coming off the WiiU which was the biggest bomb ever, Im just saying.

No one should rag on you as it's true. Their stock is shit and they need to get this sorted ASAP.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Stock issues are severely limiting the Switch's potential. Hopefully they manage to fix it this month, because it they'll be having a rough time the longer this continues.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Why are people (who visit a GAF on a daily basis no less) pretending like they don't know switch only sold 280k because it is still supply constrained?

Interfectum

more than 280,000 units sold? Imagine how much more they will have sold if they didn't constraint the sales artificially at all.

giphy.gif

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

It's kind of astonishing to me how many people still believe Nintendo is somehow masterminding artificial scarcity in some sort of attempt to drive up sales.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah...but WiiU didnt launch with Zelda and had Mario Kart 2 months in. They really underestimated the impact of their first party offerings this time.

This Holiday season will be crazy.

This has nothing to do with the issue at hand - Sony and ;MS consoles had shortages in the past after launch.

Wii U launched during the holiday season, which is was the tried and true period to release a new home console. I really do think the risk of dropping in March also was a factor. Regardless though, they gotta step it up asap!

ChaosXVI

Damn, supply is still completely fucked. Hopefully they are able to increase production by the time Splatoon 2 comes out. I have a feeling that game is going to outsell Mario Kart, at least in Japan.

(Anecdotal evidence) Anytime I go to any local store (Bloomington IL) that sells the Switch, I'll always investigate to see if they have any systems. I've yet to see one in person ever since launch day.

Nintendo seem to have a winning formula on their hands with the Switch, I wonder how long the momentum can carry on and when the PS4 will beat it for the tops sales of the month?

Switch also (at least temporarily) falls behind GBA as fastest selling Nintendo system in US.

After two months:
Switch 1.186 million
GBA: 1.246 million

GBA launched in June 2001.

This has nothing to do with the issue at hand - Sony and ;MS consoles had shortages in the past after launch.

I disagree. MS and Sony have the capability to increase production at a quicker pace than Nintendo.

And I never said Sony and MS have never dealt with shortages, so I'm not sure where that came from.

Nintendo seem to have a winning formula on their hands with the Switch, I wonder how long the momentum can carry on and when the PS4 will beat it for the tops sales of the month?
If they have nothing megaton-esque by the end of summer, I can see them getting overtaken for the fall season before Mario Odyssey.

Anteo

That dorsnt make sense, gaf told me artificial scarcity is gow you make more sales! Imagine how much less they would sell without it

March 906k
April 280k (626k decline)

By my math, if this 626k decline trend continues the Switch will sell -346k units in May (scalpers returning them due to no demand, of course)

March 906k
April 280k (69% decline)

If trend continues
May 87k units

And that is even possible, if the stock situation is worse than April

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still have yet to see a Switch in a retail store.

March 906k
April 280k (69% decline)

If trend continues
May 87k units

Anecdotally we've heard the stock situation is a good deal better in May, so that's unlikely. But you never know.

Also two data points does not make a trend.

Zedark

Also Zelda was third for the month. Wonder what it's attach rate was this time.

True, Third place doesn't tell us much in that regard: we know BOTW Switch+Wii U physical sales must have been less than 460k (below MK8D), so I will wager a guess it wasn't over 100% again this month (since it also will be a bit under since it's third, and Switch is not 100% of total BOTW sales either).

terrible numbers? They have sold everything they have in stock, the only reason why it is not higher is due to stock issues

That's very true but it doesn't change the fact that it's a huge dropoff in it's second month. If they're having problems increasing production then that's a very worrying issue.

Zedark

March 906k
April 280k (69% decline)

If trend continues
May 87k units

Why would that happen? April may have had MK8D, but there was also the air shipping thing going on in March, which seems likely to have taken away from the April shipments.

Where's that one guy who insisted that just because Zelda had comparatively low digital sales, that all Switch games would, and Nintendo's digital to physical ratio would never improve on the Switch due to lack of storage space?

Abdiel

It's absolutely scarce. We're getting minimal shipments, with virtually none held in distribution centers.

There's no way to place hold requests or ask for restock like we can with most product. Nintendo simply doesn't have enough in the channel for us to work with standard process for these requests.

We got a solid buffer shipment around mk8, but that was the first real push of units solve the launch. Besides that they are a drip feed across the districts.

They couldn't possibly be that bad with stock..could they?
It would not, this would be under the assumption that Nintendo actually stopped shipping out switches for May to stockpile for June. A more likely scenario is that we'll see a repeat of April before we see whatever manufacturing changes they prepared for June.

Dystify

Artificial shortages™️

La1TL3B.png

Sorry for posting this here, I just wanted to share it without creating drama on my twitter... Seems to be relevant to some responses in this topic though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Consider me absolutely baffled that they shared such dire 3DS numbers, after so many months without updates of any kind, and consider me even more baffled that the reason is probably to highlight how Nintendo represented almost half of the hardware market in April :lol

Top Bottom