• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to sell Component cables online AND in select retailers in the US.

Mrbob

Grok4Spock said:
c2.jpg

This is why the stores aren't getting cables until next month. Nintendo has pulled retail stocks to fill their direct orders....

Well at least you can get them now. I ordered a set from the Nintendo store sunday night and got an email monday that they shipped. Should have them Thursday or Friday.

LakeEarth

Nevermind, it was my TV doing the crackling. I moved it to component 1 and its not working, and since my 360 sound goes straight into my stereo there's no problem.

Kifimbo

It might be a stupid question and I don't want to read the entire thread:

I just plugged my component cables, but everything is black and white right now. What is going on ?

Mine will be delivered tomorrow... ordered the 4th I believe, and they shipped them out the 8th, wasn't really thinking and went ground shipping...

Just in time too, got a 42 inch LCD HDTV and over composite, the games are PAINFUL to look at =( No wonder you guys were all bitching, I thought the games looked great on my 32 inch regular TV, but this is horrible, hope the component cables make a HUGE difference.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I dont have mine yet, but honestly i dont think zelda looks bad at all on my 43 inch plasma. A lot better than everyone here made it out to be.

Ristamar

The Black Brad Pitt said:
I dont have mine yet, but honestly i dont think zelda looks bad at all on my 43 inch plasma. A lot better than everyone here made it out to be.

Well, it is a plasma, and they tend to handle SD content notably better than anything else, CRTs aside. I get the feeling a lot of people on GAF game on LCD sets.

Grok4Spock

Even on my 27" SDTV I noticed a difference from the composite cables (Which have been safely returned to the Wii system box, never to be used again). Unfortunately, this TV has a slightly dark picture tube, adding an extra level of challenge to Zelda (when they said the game was dark, I didn't think it was that dark). I thought maybe the component cables would help, not so much sadly....

Actually, Wii sports is what looks horrible, particularly golf (the trees/grass are blur together) & bowling (pins at the end of the alley blur together).

RedSteel actually still looked pretty good, and Bomberman 93 VC looks awesome. Monkey Ball also looks fine, haven't tried Zelda on the 42 inch yet.

ahhh! look what I got from best buy tonight :D

reactcomponent317x422oa8.jpg

reactcomponent2480x640og9.jpg

It took long enough for them to get these in stock again, i missed out on getting them on Wii launch day. everything will look great on my 20 in Panasonic and 32 in Sony CRT's.

when I got GameCube Zelda on Tuesday, I saw Wii Zelda on the Wii Kiosk LCD which was using component, it looked awful, worse than on my CRTs with composite to my eyes, and I know it was because it was the LCD. just too pixelated.

CRT + component rules for those that don't have a really outstanding Plasma or DLP or other expensive screens.

GCQuinton

Mine came in the mail today too. Ordered last week. So now I've the component cables and three games (Zelda, Red Steel, and DBZ) and no system. Hopefully I get lucky on Sunday.

GCQuinton said:
Mine came in the mail today too. Ordered last week. So now I've the component cables and three games (Zelda, Red Steel, and DBZ) and no system. Hopefully I get lucky on Sunday.

hopefully yeah. good luck trying to get a system.

purg3

slept with Malkin
UPS finally dropped mine off today(ordered from nintendo.com), I kind of wished I would have selected a faster shipping method. But anyway, Zelda looks fantastic with these and I can now continue playing it.

SiliconBean

Note to potential employers: mainlines heroin
I bought the Pysclone (how ever you say them) Wii cables. And I am impressed. They total made everything better. Color, Sharpness. Everything. I also got them on my store discount for $25 bucks. Which is a steal.

bachikarn

I finally got mine today. I was leaving for back home so I only got to test them for a second. I must be blind because I thought everything looked about the same (I even thought Zelda looked worse, but that was probably a hasty assessment).

Z_Y

Sorry for the bump...but I got a Wii for Christmas and now I'm looking for component cables. Fortunately for me, it seems that they are more readily available now. Can anybody comment on any 3rd party cables?

The official Nintendo one is $30 while there is a Madcatz for $20 and a Penguin United brand for $15 (never heard of these guys though). Tempted to go cheap here but I am concerned about the quality.

Also as a side note, I was in EB last night and they were selling the MadCatz cables for $50. I had to do a double take because I had just seen them online for $20...but they were indeed MadCatz. I lol'd.

Chemo

So uhhh... having a problem with the MadCatz Wii component cables I found over the holiday at GameCrazy. (Just to preface, I don't trust the brand but they were $19 and I took the plunge -- this probably explains my problem, but just in case it's repairable, I figured I'd post here.)

The cables have worked great since I hooked them up Tuesday night, and I've mostly just messed around with the channels and the VC with them in (although I did run around in Zelda a bit, just to check it out). It all worked great, and looked wonderful. So today I decide I'm going to check out some GameCube games that were progressive-scan since I never saw them through anything other than composite and I pop in Super Mario Sunshine. I hold B at the beginning, and the menu pops to ask me if I want to switch to progressive scan, and I do... so I select it. Instantly the screen goes crazy, becoming some kind of seizure-inducing rapidly-moving jumble of the SMS intro. So I'm like "Oh shit" and power off the Wii. Turn it back on, and the shit is happening on the warning screen at the beginning now. Power everything off, unplug everything, try it again... same thing. Switch it back to composite and it works fine.

Any idea what happened here? Is it a faulty cable that was on the verge of extinction, or is my Wii's 480p output mode busted? Any ideas? Any help would be severely appreciated. Thanks very, very much in advance.

jjasper

OG_Original Gamer said:
Does the gamemode on some Sammy LCDs have any affect on visual quality of games?

I haven't really noticed any visual changes but I think it is there to reduce lag time and basically turns of the DYNE or whatever it is called.

Anyway I got an e-mail from the big N today saying my order has been processed and will be sent out.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Chemo said:
So uhhh... having a problem with the MadCatz Wii component cables I found over the holiday at GameCrazy. (Just to preface, I don't trust the brand but they were $19 and I took the plunge -- this probably explains my problem, but just in case it's repairable, I figured I'd post here.)

The cables have worked great since I hooked them up Tuesday night, and I've mostly just messed around with the channels and the VC with them in (although I did run around in Zelda a bit, just to check it out). It all worked great, and looked wonderful. So today I decide I'm going to check out some GameCube games that were progressive-scan since I never saw them through anything other than composite and I pop in Super Mario Sunshine. I hold B at the beginning, and the menu pops to ask me if I want to switch to progressive scan, and I do... so I select it. Instantly the screen goes crazy, becoming some kind of seizure-inducing rapidly-moving jumble of the SMS intro. So I'm like "Oh shit" and power off the Wii. Turn it back on, and the shit is happening on the warning screen at the beginning now. Power everything off, unplug everything, try it again... same thing. Switch it back to composite and it works fine.

Any idea what happened here? Is it a faulty cable that was on the verge of extinction, or is my Wii's 480p output mode busted? Any ideas? Any help would be severely appreciated. Thanks very, very much in advance.
sorry for the obvious question, but you are sure your TV supports 480p? that would be the first place to start. second place would be what you already said, unplug the wii, wait around 30 seconds, plug everything back in and give it another shot. also if you can work with composite, turn of 480p/EDTV on the Wii. Give those things a shot and get the picture looking right through the component cables first, then try turning 480p back on.

the cables for the wii are just dumb pinouts. the wii is actually doing all of the 480p work. the cables just carry the signal... unlike the GCN which actually had the DAC in the cable itself.

Chemo

borghe said:
sorry for the obvious question, but you are sure your TV supports 480p? that would be the first place to start. second place would be what you already said, unplug the wii, wait around 30 seconds, plug everything back in and give it another shot. also if you can work with composite, turn of 480p/EDTV on the Wii. Give those things a shot and get the picture looking right through the component cables first, then try turning 480p back on.

the cables for the wii are just dumb pinouts. the wii is actually doing all of the 480p work. the cables just carry the signal... unlike the GCN which actually had the DAC in the cable itself.
Yeah, the television is a Sharp CRT that has a component in... component in is 480p, right? My component in works fine for my 360 and worked just fine for the Wii with the cables until the Super Mario Sunshine experiment.

Tried what you said and even with it set to standard def via the Wii menu, it still looks like garbage and is going everywhere in multicolor -- but in standard def mode, the mess on the screen is a deeper blue color now. The Wii is totally unusable with this cable now, from the opening warning to the channels to the menus. I know next to nothing about this stuff, but I'm really hoping it's a cable problem and not a problem with the unit. (That said, I went ahead and ordered first party cables, just in case.)

Chemo

alr1ghtstart said:
if your TV is an SD, then component is 480i, not p.
Okay, cool... but it should work in standard mode with the component cables on the component in, right? I mean, it's been working for days and looking a billion times better than the standard cables, and only now has this been an issue.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Chemo said:
Okay, cool... but it should work in standard mode with the component cables on the component in, right? I mean, it's been working for days and looking a billion times better than the standard cables, and only now has this been an issue.
if your TV isn't EDTV or HDTV, you will have to go into the Wii menu and turn off EDTV. Make sure you set it and the setting sticks. Go to Wii Options->Wii Settings->Screen->TV Resolution and choose standard TV, then click confirm. For GCN games I know I would have to load up a game with the component cable unplugged to clear the GCN's "auto-memory" for 480p. If I never did that it would always default to 480p for every capable game.

Chemo

borghe said:
if your TV isn't EDTV or HDTV, you will have to go into the Wii menu and turn off EDTV. Make sure you set it and the setting sticks. Go to Wii Options->Wii Settings->Screen->TV Resolution and choose standard TV, then click confirm. For GCN games I know I would have to load up a game with the component cable unplugged to clear the GCN's "auto-memory" for 480p. If I never did that it would always default to 480p for every capable game.
Yeah, I did all of this stuff. Even tried the GCN auto-memory clear thing. I can't get anything out of these component cables at all anymore.

Firestorm

So I should go with Nintendo cables and stay the hell away from Mad Catz right?

My choices are:
$25 + tax for Mad Catz
$36 + tax for Nintendo
$40 + tax for some weird cables that I won't buy

Canadian. I just need someone to drive me over to Nintendo of Canada to buy the cables from Nintendo if I go with those...

dyls

Don't know if anyone is still looking for component cables, but Amazon put up a pre-order for Madcatz cables for $19.99 with free shipping. They will ship Feb. 14-28. That's right, pre-orders a month in advance for a cable for a system that launched two months ago.

link

Also why did I get this when I searched for 'wii', 'component'?
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: wii

:lol

I got mine 2 weeks ago from a Hong Kong dealer on eBay (shipping took 5 business days from payment until in my mailbox). They work great, look like they are the EXACT same cables you get in the React package, and I paid $16 USD which included shipping. 4 friends have ordered the same cables from the same guy for between $14 and $22 USD all including shipping and so far are perfectly happy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Component and D-Cables are available everywhere in Japan now. They weren't around at release, but every store I go to has them now.

I wonder why they are so apprehensive of releasing them in the states.

mj1108

Haven't seen anyone mention it at all, but tonight I was at Best Buy and noticed they now have the Nintendo brand component cables.

Sagitario

mj1108 said:
Haven't seen anyone mention it at all, but tonight I was at Best Buy and noticed they now have the Nintendo brand component cables.

I saw you name on the "Last Post" column and I knew that your post would be good news... Don't know why but I just knew it :D ...

Firestorm

mj1108 said:

They seem to be in stock in Canadian stores too. Even shows up on Future Shop's website.

Flynn said:
Sadly, my receiver doesn't have component switching.

I use an old multi-game switchbox (composite-video/L-audio/R-audio) as a component switchbox for a satellite, xbox 360, and Wii. (PS3 uses HDMI).

It seems to work just fine.

Top Bottom