• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wins exclusive deal for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenFox

Banned
Its sad we wont see miles of terrain or fantasy monsters in high def glory but I guess we'll see when its released how they make up for it. So far the wiimote hasnt convinced me of anything. Still say its an uppercut though.

birdchili

StorablePrawn said:
This makes a lot of sense. Think about how Monster Hunter feels. This is one of the few established action games that seems like a perfect fit for the Wiimote.
how so? pointer-based aiming, i imagine... (i haven't played any of these).

oracrest

MickeyKnox said:
Let me break it down for you:

Sony fans who never gave a crap about the game other than as a positive talking point in JP sales threads: "Whatever, this isn't important, Monster Hunter sucks anyway."

Nintendo fans who never gave a crap about the game and still don't give a crap about it other than as a game that sells well in Japan: "OMG THIS IS HUGE NEWS! Nintendo wins console war double confirmed. Monster Hunter is a great franchise and Capcom will truly use the revolutionary motion controls to... uh... what do you do in this game again?"

Die hard Monster Hunter fans, especially NA ones who've been waiting for a new real console MH game since 2005: "This is worse than Parasite Eve 3 and Megaman Legends 3 for cellphones combined."

We're both huge Monster Hunter fans from the beginning, but I think you are jumping the gun a bit on this one. Obviously the Wii's whole marketing campaign has been to make games for a much more broad audience which is automatically cause for alarm, but Capcom is admittedly making this for Wii to attract more hardcore gamers.

Also, theres tons of things the Wiimote could do with Monster Hunter outside of making the motion controls influence the weapons. Imagine how much of an improvement the camera would be if the analog stick controlled the player, while the freehand remote controlled the camera. Monster Hunter has always had the character and camera controls difficult to manipulate at the same time, and heres a chance to fix that issue completely. No more getting run over by a wyvern because you couldn't swing the camera around in time.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
RavenFox said:
Its sad we wont see miles of terrain or fantasy monsters in high def glory but I guess we'll see when its released how they make up for it. So far the wiimote hasnt convinced me of anything. Still say its an uppercut though.

Seems less like an uppercut, and more like hitting the guy on the way down.

Jibber Hack said:
I was going to see if I could toy with PS3 owners this morning, but I already see that there are those who are doing it better than I could.

Kudos to Nintendo to recognize that they need third party support. Now, they need to focus on games with international appeal.

Monster Hunter has that.

Grecco said:
Sometimes i wonder if fans here would love it if Nitnendo would get no Third Party Support. Bitch about it not being there, bitch when its there.

The people bitching never wanted any success for Nintendo more than they had with the GameCube.

I wager the people in this thread complaining ad nauseum only have Wii's for the odd Nintendo IP that they can't get on any other system and expected everything else to be on PS3/360.

Then there are those who plain hate the console. It's not rocket science.

dankir

"Due to high development cost of titles for PS3, we have decided to switch the platform to which we release our Monster Hunster 3 title

Damn.... Monster Hunter is a big seller isn't it.

birdchili said:
how so? pointer-based aiming, i imagine... (i haven't played any of these).
Hundreds of hours of precise attack combos, deffensive and evasive maneuvers. Old school action game where you're basically fighting nothing but Bosses mixed in with some PSO/Diablo style grinding for gear.

in other words, something that sounds cool to do with gestures for about 5 minutes then completely falls apart.

tehbear

sprocket said:
I wouldn't go that far yet. The ps3 still has the majority all the HUGE japan series and new series. Wii has one. Its good one but its just one. I am expecting a Dragon Quest announcement for the Wii next though.

Famits's top 20 list doesn't mean anything anymore for sales/futures. 360 had games up there too while managing to sell absolutely nothing. Big franchises they may be, but it won't sway Japan as their frontloaded releases will serve as temporary breaks from season long draughts in Japan.

Big things will still get made, obviously MGS4/GT5/WKS won't get canned and Wiiported, but the situation won't change for third parties. The margins were already going to be lower for a more costly console, and with bad market positioning it's just commercial suicide. The only way third parties will start up development is if somehow the PS3 can sustain any kind of sales momentum. Though that won't happen at the rate third parties are abandoning it.

Hey I should have called it earlier, but signs were still that things MIGHT turn around and all these releases could happen in Japan, but we can see now half of Japan's PS3's pipeline was nonexistent. This will only the start of the ship-jumping for PS3 projects.

dfyb

Banned
Grecco said:
New Ips exclusively? :lol Thats not gonna happen.
i never said it was "going to happen." i said i bought my wii hoping that we'd see new game ideas that are built around the wiimote. so far i havn't seen much of that at all, which is why my wii has been collecting dust. if the quality of the game has no real benefits being on wii, there's no reason i would want to play it on wii.

i don't know about you but i'm a gamer that plays games on multiple platforms because most of the different platforms carry key advantages. if a game would be better off on another platform, it just feels like a waste. sort of like metal slug 7 for DS - only reason it's on DS is because of the userbase, even though the game would be better on PSP. DS-only people are happy or whatever, but anyone with a PSP is going "...why would i want to play this on DS?"

Tenbatsu

sammy said:
Good news ----- Wii aiming will certainly justify all the projectile weapon classes.

Hands down, it'll be one of the best looking titles on any platform. Those MH capcom artists just plain kick ass, some of the greatest creature and environment art-design ever - PSP, PS2, Wii ? it doesn't matter to them, they just make it look awesome. Can't wait to see any screenshots at all

Shit you know your stuff. Monster Hunter art designers are currently the top design team in Capcom now. Heres the link to some of their sketches. Awesome I tell ya.

http://fu1kth.tripod.com/monster_hunter_armor/

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
MickeyKnox said:
in other words, something that sounds cool to do with gestures for about 5 minutes then completely falls apart.

Wasn't it the same with the whole "use the right stick to hit" thing on PS2 versions?

Jirotrom

MickeyKnox said:
Hey, the next entry in one of my most favorite franchises has been killed off, I thought I was entitled to air out my frustration.

But I guess not, I mean, there are apparently so many huge Monster Hunter nuts on Gaf that have never shown the slightest bit of interest in the series before today who must know exactly how frickin SICK this latest "Monsters Hunters" is going to be now that it has waggle. I'll just have to take their word on it.
you haven't even played it, a game is a game. You are meant to have fun with it. I don't understand some people what does it matter what system its on if you enjoy it?

How anyone can treat this as a bad event is completely beyond me. MH3 is going to a system more significantly more capable than its predecessors. The end product in our hands will have more functionality than the previous games. The IR pointer alone can make gameplay a lot less painful. Capcom is also very talented. I expect a decent product from them.

Further, this shows Nintendo is taking core gaming seriously. It should be a joyous event for everyone.

oracrest said:
We're both huge Monster Hunter fans from the beginning, but I think you are jumping the gun a bit on this one. Obviously the Wii's whole marketing campaign has been to make games for a much more broad audience which is automatically cause for alarm, but Capcom is admittedly making this for Wii to attract more hardcore gamers.

Also, theres tons of things the Wiimote could do with Monster Hunter outside of making the motion controls influence the weapons. Imagine how much of an improvement the camera would be if the analog stick controlled the player, while the freehand remote controlled the camera. Monster Hunter has always had the character and camera controls difficult to manipulate at the same time, and heres a chance to fix that issue completely. No more getting run over by a wyvern because you couldn't swing the camera around in time.
Camera controls are only a small issue with the PsP releases, even then it can be completely worked around. The camera, like all things MH, only punishes you when you fuck up. No one who has put any serious time into the games should ever get killed or hurt from the camera "fucking up"

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Anyone have any Stage Debut footage?

I want Miyamoto, Iwata, and Yamauchi tapdancing on a stage right about now.

Tenbatsu

MickeyKnox said:
Camera controls are only a small issue with the PsP releases, even then it can be completely worked around. The camera, like all things MH, only punishes you when you fuck up. No one whose put any serious time into the games should ever get killed or hurt from the camera "fucking up"

Isnt that part of the beauty of monster hunter?:lol

Grecco

Rancid Mildew said:
Further, this shows Nintendo is taking core gaming seriously. It should be a joyous event for everyone.

In the end of the day, if the series didnt sell so well in Japan most people here wouldnt be bitchin.

artredis1980 said:
Maybe this is an indication that Capcom is moving away from PS3 development and concentrating on Wii in Japan and 360 in USA

how does it indicate that at all? how did the 360 get worked into this? what the hell.

oracrest

MickeyKnox said:
Let me break it down for you:

Sony fans who never gave a crap about the game other than as a positive talking point in JP sales threads: "Whatever, this isn't important, Monster Hunter sucks anyway."

Nintendo fans who never gave a crap about the game and still don't give a crap about it other than as a game that sells well in Japan: "OMG THIS IS HUGE NEWS! Nintendo wins console war double confirmed. Monster Hunter is a great franchise and Capcom will truly use the revolutionary motion controls to... uh... what do you do in this game again?"

Die hard Monster Hunter fans, especially NA ones who've been waiting for a new real console MH game since 2005: "This is worse than Parasite Eve 3 and Megaman Legends 3 for cellphones combined."

Also, theres tons of things the Wiimote could do with Monster Hunter outside of making the motion controls influence the weapons. Imagine how much of an improvement the camera would be if the analog stick controlled the player, while the freehand remote controlled the panning of the camera, like how metroid's camera is controlled. Monster Hunter has always had the character and camera controls difficult to manipulate at the same time, and heres a chance to fix that issue completely. No more getting run over by a wyvern because you couldn't swing the camera around in time.

Even if the motion is mapped to the weapons and fighting system, what does that do that worsens the game? It's much more connected feeling than pushing a button.

I see tons of opportunity for the franchise to improve on the Wii, and thats coming from a huge Monster Hunter fan that doesn't give a shit about console wars.

Theres the graphics argument about the PS3 vs. Wii too, but I am not honestly that concerned. MH has some of the best art in the industry, and as they have proven with PSP, can make some unbelievable art even within limitations.

Im not trying to argue with you, just saying give it a chance. I think your banking on them selling out totally with this, but there is honestly a lot of positive opportunity they could harness as well.

EDIT: weird, it posted half my post above...

v0yce

Grecco said:
Sometimes i wonder if fans here would love it if Nitnendo would get no Third Party Support. Bitch about it not being there, bitch when its there.

That's not it.

I don't really see it as bitter tears (for most people), its just how the different consoles can benefit the game. And calling it how they see it.

Monster Hunter is a traditional game designed with a traditional controller and console in mind. It just seems the natural step would be to make the worlds larger and more seamless, with more to explore, more enemy variety, more populating an area at once, and just more to do overall. Not to mention a more robust online platform with, if nothing else, the ability to talk with your fellow hunters.

The Wii offers simply a control switch. And taking traditional style games and changing control method wasn't really the point of the Wii. At least its not what I thought it was.

You don't see people "crying" about Zack and Wiki not being on the PS3/360. That's because it seems to fit the Wii really well and take advantage of what it offers. It was built for it. And its being welcomed and praised for it.

I own a Wii, and don't mean to rain on any parade. Hopefully it will deliver an experience tailored to the Wii's strenghts. But right now, I've got to side with most of the other guys and chalk this up to a cash run and would be surprised if its not another Wii/PSP situation.

oracrest said:

Also, theres tons of things the Wiimote could do with Monster Hunter outside of making the motion controls influence the weapons. Imagine how much of an improvement the camera would be if the analog stick controlled the player, while the freehand remote controlled the panning of the camera, like how metroid's camera is controlled. Monster Hunter has always had the character and camera controls difficult to manipulate at the same time, and heres a chance to fix that issue completely. No more getting run over by a wyvern because you couldn't swing the camera around in time.

Even if the motion is mapped to the weapons and fighting system, what does that do that worsens the game? It's much more connected feeling than pushing a button.

I see tons of opportunity for the franchise to improve on the Wii, and thats coming from a huge Monster Hunter fan that doesn't give a shit about console wars.

Theres the graphics argument about the PS3 vs. Wii too, but I am not honestly that concerned. MH has some of the best art in the industry, and as they have proven with PSP, can make some unbelievable art even within limitations.

Im not trying to argue with you, just saying give it a chance. I think your banking on them selling out totally with this, but there is honestly a lot of positive opportunity they could harness as well.

Lao Shan Lung. Wrist swings and thrusts.

That's all I should have to say to someone who knows Monster Hunter.

Grecco

v0yce said:
That's not it.
You don't see people "crying" about Zack and Wiki not being on the PS3/360. That's because it seems to fit the Wii really well and take advantage of what it offers. It was built for it. And its being welcomed and praised for it.

People arent crying about Zack and Wiki because its a niche genre game with a "kiddified" premise. Most people are expecting it to bomb as well.

dfyb said:
i don't know about you but i'm a gamer that plays games on multiple platforms because most of the different platforms carry key advantages. if a game would be better off on another platform, it just feels like a waste. sort of like metal slug 7 for DS - only reason it's on DS is because of the userbase, even though the game would be better on PSP. DS-only people are happy or whatever, but anyone with a PSP is going "...why would i want to play this on DS?"

You could say the same thing about any console for various reasons. "This game would be better with touch controls". "This game would be better with a good D-Pad", "Any online PS3 game would be better on X360 with Live" etc. These might all be true statements to an individual, but unfortunately BUSINESS determines where games show up and not what's "best" for the end user. This is life.

This is going to be a really strange and interesting generation, and I wouldn't be surprised if some people dropped out of console gaming altogether, but I hope people will learn to cope. For "graphics whores", I think it's going to be tough to get used to not always being the core audience. But there will still be plenty of games for all systems. Just shrug it off and go on looking forward to the next Hi-Def game.

Gattsu25

Banned
v0yce said:
That's not it.

I don't really see it as bitter tears (for most people), its just how the different consoles can benefit the game. And calling it how they see it.

Monster Hunter is a traditional game designed with a traditional controller and console in mind. It just seems the natural step would be to make the worlds larger and more seamless, with more to explore, more enemy variety, more populating an area at once, and just more to do overall. Not to mention a more robust online platform with, if nothing else, the ability to talk with your fellow hunters.

The Wii offers simply a control switch. And taking traditional style games and changing control method wasn't really the point of the Wii. At least its not what I thought it was.

Good post, however, I do believe that the Wiimote can be a positive force on the series...though MickeyKnox is right and fatigue can be a huge issue

v0yce

DeaconKnowledge said:
The people bitching never wanted any success for Nintendo more than they had with the GameCube.

I wager the people in this thread complaining ad nauseum only have Wii's for the odd Nintendo IP that they can't get on any other system and expected everything else to be on PS3/360.

Then there are those who plain hate the console. It's not rocket science.

And I'd wager most of the people who feverishly defend it, don't own another console.

MickeyKnox said:
Lao Shan Lung. Wrist swings and thrusts.

That's all I should have to say to someone who knows Monster Hunter.

I was going to say something too but I debated too long saying "Is it worth trying to explain to this guy or is it a lost cause"...

Bust Nak

MickeyKnox said:
Hundreds of hours of precise attack combos, deffensive and evasive maneuvers. Old school action game where you're basically fighting nothing but Bosses mixed in with some PSO/Diablo style grinding for gear.

Call me a lance noob but right jab, right jab, back + C, repeat... A + B. I don't see what the problem is.

v0yce said:
That's not it.

I own a Wii, and don't mean to rain on any parade. Hopefully it will deliver an experience tailored to the Wii's strenghts. But right now, I've got to side with most of the other guys and chalk this up to a cash run and would be surprised if its not another Wii/PSP situation.

Bullshit.

I commend you if you think that, but the fact of the matter is that the bitching and moaning didn't start with this Gen. Last Gen, GameCube fans bitched and carried on when their favorite franchises were being moved to other consoles or the system didn't get games that people "Thought" they should get. Hell, people are STILL bitching about Okami for Wii or DS or GameCube.

People aren't complaining about Zack and Wiki because it's a new franchise that hasn't proven itself at all. In fact, I would argue that half the people on this forum don't even KNOW about Zack and Wiki.

There was an unwritten understanding when this gen started that the 360 or PS3 would get all the franchises that many people here cared about, because that's pretty much what happened last generation. Now that the Wii has stepped in and usurped that, it's a bitchfest. Plain and simple.

v0yce said:
And I'd wager most of the people who feverishly defend it, don't own another console.

You'd probably be correct in that wager. Not sure what that proves with this thread.

Gattsu25

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Bullshit.

I commend you if you think that, but the fact of the matter is that the bitching and moaning didn't start with this Gen. Last Gen, GameCube fans bitched and carried on when their favorite franchises were being moved to other consoles or the system didn't get games that people "Thought" they should get. Hell, people are STILL bitching about Okami for Wii or DS or GameCube.

People aren't complaining about Zack and Wiki because it's a new franchise that hasn't proven itself at all. In fact, I would argue that half the people on this forum don't even KNOW about Zack and Wiki.

There was an unwritten understanding when this gen started that the 360 or PS3 would get all the franchises that many people here cared about, because that's pretty much what happened last generation. Now that the Wii has stepped in and usurped that, it's a bitchfest. Plain and simple.
I'm not sure how this post refutes his...

It's a good explanation over the potential agendas of some, but does nothing to allieviate their gameplay concerns...

It also goes both ways and can be used to explain why so many are elated by this news without any knowledge of what MH is outside of it's sales performance. Toss the queries and discussion of 'breakdowns' into that crowd, as well

topsyturvy said:
you think they aren't making this? really? :lol

Considering it bombed so badly it led to the dissolution of the studio that made this, yeah, I think they're not exactly falling over themselves to get a sequel out.

BuzzJive

This thread is gold. I'm only up to page 4 - but I am so enjoying all the bitter tears.

Also - Great move Nintendo! Now go for some big Western stuff.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Bullshit.

It's hard to say that you're wrong. The reality is this is very significant signal that, after all, the installed base counts for third party's decisions. If the team puts some hard work into the game, I'm sure that it will be far better then any analog stick of any controller. Retro Studios proved that. Let Capcom tests the Wiimote with a serious, high budget game for once. I'm sure that the result could be very good.

Gattsu25 said:
I'm not sure how this post refutes his, but it also shows why some in here are so happy to see MH3 on the Wii, without even knowing what MH3 is

Why wouldn't anyone be happy with more support?

Conversely i'd be willing to bet there are people complaining that never played the series. Same thing happened in the "Dragon Quest for DS" and "Rygar for Wii" threads.

Bust Nak said:
Call me a lance noob but right jab, right jab, back + C, repeat... A + B. I don't see what the problem is.

That's like saying Street Fighter is fine on D-pad because you don't care about Zangief.

Weisheit

DeaconKnowledge said:
Bullshit.

Nail meet hammer.

dfyb

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Bullshit.

i think v0yce has a wii, and i have a wii (since launch, just like gamecube). i'd bet a good number of the others who share our opinion also have a wii. it's not about which camp gets what. i don't see how a fan of monster hunter could see this as ideal news.

edit: i am in the camp that would like to see okami on wii. it wouldn't be hard to port and it would benefit from a wiimote's pointer ability. the stylized look is already beautiful and controlling the caligraphy with an analog stick is awkward, so i see no reason to port to ps3 etc.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
sp0rsk said:
What I find amusing about all this is, before when Wii had no AAA third party games, most fans of other consoles would use this as an easy way to attack the Wii. On top of that, everyone said the reason there aren't any is cause they wouldn't sell.

Now, Wii has the highest selling new 3rd party franchise, and the only reaction coming from people is, "THEY CAN'T HAVE GOOD 3RD PARTY GAMES!!!" "WII SHOULD ONLY GET SIDE STORIESS!!"

I guess it's a redux of the DQ9 incident, but come on people, stop being so transparent. New MH is new MH, and thank god it's going to be online.

Bingo, be happy that the Wii is finally getting quality 3rd party games.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
It's hard to say that you're wrong. The reality is this is very significant signal that, after all, the installed base counts for third party's decisions. If the team puts some hard work into the game, I'm sure that it will be far better then any analog stick of any controller. Retro Studios proved that. Let Capcom tests the Wiimote with a serious, high budget game for once. I'm sure that the result could be very good.

Personally, I know dick all about Monster Hunter (In fact, before today I kept confusing it with Monster Rancher) But damn if I don't look at that screenshot and think of the potential. And what's wrong with that? Why does GAF have the mentality that you can only look forward to something if you've played it already?

Capcom is a AAA developer capable of making AAA games. The fact that they could possibly take an established franchise and make it WORK with the Wiimote is exciting to me.

v0yce

DeaconKnowledge said:
Bullshit.

I disagree. I think the Nintendo bias is definately there, sure. But its there because of a reason. The Wii was designed to disrupt traditional gaming. What exactly did you expect fans of traditonal gaming franchises to do?

Gattsu25

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Why wouldn't anyone be happy with more support?

Conversely i'd be willing to bet there are people complaining that never played the series. Same thing happened in the "Dragon Quest for DS" and "Rygar for Wii" threads.
updated my post to better explain myself:
I'm not sure how this post refutes his...

It's a good explanation over the potential agendas of some, but does nothing to allieviate their gameplay concerns...

It also goes both ways and can be used to explain why so many are elated by this news without any knowledge of what MH is outside of it's sales performance. Toss the queries and discussion of 'breakdowns' into that crowd, as well
I'm not sure...I think it's just a fundamental difference in how I view the market. I don't overtly keep track of which developer works where, which game is selling, or which platform has the most support. I actually find that doing so has a negative impact on how I enjoy games, as it seems the less I track the 'industry' the more enjoyment I get out of playing...I realization I made when I was still tracking the PC FPS market back when Blood and Redneck Rampage where still in their heydays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom