• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wins exclusive deal for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjohn

whoever is in charge of sony's third party relations needs to be fired asap. delays, crappy ports, loss of exclusives. how the hell has he still got a job? and why?
anyway i guess its good business sense for capcom, you go where the money is. it doesnt always have to be about money but most of the time it should be.

Jirotrom

MickeyKnox said:
Let me break it down for you:

Sony fans who never gave a crap about the game other than as a positive talking point in JP sales threads: "Whatever, this isn't important, Monster Hunter sucks anyway."

Nintendo fans who never gave a crap about the game and still don't give a crap about it other than as a game that sells well in Japan: "OMG THIS IS HUGE NEWS! Nintendo wins console war double confirmed. Monster Hunter is a great franchise and Capcom will truly use the revolutionary motion controls to... uh... what do you do in this game again?"

Die hard Monster Hunter fans, especially NA ones who've been waiting for a new real console MH game since 2005: "This is worse than Parasite Eve 3 and Megaman Legends 3 for cellphones combined."
W/e man stop bitching... would you rather lose another one of your precious PS2 games like FF, or just continue to complain. I take it you don't own a Wii. You are also probably one of the people that constantly state Wii doesn't have good third party bla bla bla. Let Nintendo gather a strong 3rd party and keep competition alive. Sony could have easily paid for exclusivity but they didn't.

Jammy said:
Jesus Christ.

You people will probably act surprised as hell when Dragon Quest X is announced exclusively for the Wii, too.

I would. After all, it'd probably be much more at home on the DS.

So waggle = worthy of sequel instead?

'Worthy' of a sequel? I have no idea what that means.

There is MH3, and it's going to be on the Wii. Beyond that, I don't much know or care.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm not sure I care about this game. But I do care about 3rd parties giving the Wii some love.

winjet81

Lots of crying towels needed for this thread.

The phenomenon in Japan with MH has really taken off because of the thousands of ad hoc communities that the PSPs portable capabilities provide... islands and islands of 4-person groups litter the landscape.

I wonder how this is going to translate over on to the Wii?

One thing is for sure: it's going to be sweet attcking Wyverns with a swinging motion, rather than the press of a button.

Jirotrom said:
W/e man stop bitching... would you rather lose another one of your precious PS2 games like FF, or just continue to complain. I take it you don't own a Wii. You are also probably one of the people that constantly state Wii doesn't have good third party bla bla bla. Let Nintendo gather a strong 3rd party and keep competition alive. Sony could have easily paid for exclusivity but they didn't.
Why hello thar:
120mm.jpg

*taken from my custom PC build pics when I needed a reference for the size of the heatsink and fan.

As someone who has spent a good amount of time with the series, I can say that I am happy with this decision. It was either getting a greatly expanded world (PS3) or greatly expanded gameplay (Wii). Personally, well thought out (Wii) controls would probably immerse me more than slightly better graphics on PS3, so everything is good as long as the controls are.

No one can say whether or not the controls will be good or bad, but seeing how much emphasis has been put on this game by Nintendo, and how much money they probably invested, i'm pretty sure it's going to turn out great!

:D

Vagabundo

Gattsu25 said:
Most in this thread aren't either (outside of sales performance, likely)

One of the best new series moving to the Wii is huge news.

Vagabundo: glad to see you're now a MH fan

Unfair!! I'm just here for the show :D

Gattsu25

Banned
damisa said:
from ps3forums:
"Somebody should completely destroy the wii with terrorist. It was fine when it got lil crappy motion controlled games, but now it's taking away real games."
Why does your avatar have a penis for a nose?
MickeyKnox said:
Why hello thar:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w2/herrhelmt/120mm.jpg
*taken from my custom PC build pics when I needed a reference for the size of the heatsink and fan.
You still have original Genesis cases?

birdchili

marc^o^ said:
I'm not sure I care about this game. But I do care about 3rd parties giving the Wii some love.
i surely don't care about this game, but as a sign that there is a movement to develop "gamer games" on wii by third parties - it's a bit reassuring.

iwata can't comment on "games for the hardcore" often enough, frankly... and seeing nintendo make some plays for third party support of this nature is nice.

VonGak!

Banned
sprocket said:
some of you are melting down for no reason. For every game the uses the ps3/360s power for more than just graphics there are 10 other games that do not.

The Wii is capable of doing a lot of the things the big boys can do. just not as pretty.

So you are saying that MH3 won't be split up into segments? Streaming should make it possible and perhaps the Wii is capable of having huge environments with that level of graphics seen in the pic.

I personally never went MH2 due to the segment thingy. :(

crbowen

Hahaha, Jesus. I hope the next time the Wii gets (steals?) another 3rd party game from TRUE NEXT GEN OMG the reactions are as hilarious as this thread!

test_account

XP-39C²
artredis1980 said:
How do the sales of MH games compare with FF and Metal Gear in Japan?

FF and Metal Gear sold more for PS2 than what the Monster Hunter games did, atleast according to these stats:

http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/ps2.php

Monster Hunter Freedom 1 and 2 for PSP is the most sold games for PSP tho. I wonder how well Monster Hunter 3 will do for Wii. It seems more popular on a handheld system.

crbowen said:
Hahaha, Jesus. I hope the next time the Wii gets (steals?) another 3rd party game from TRUE NEXT GEN OMG the reactions are as hilarious as this thread!

Just to add fuel to the fire, it should be turned DS exclusive instead so the hardware gulf will be even wider and the reactions all the more vitriolic.

Y'know what I'm talking about.

fse

justjohn said:
whoever is in charge of sony's third party relations needs to be fired asap. delays, crappy ports, loss of exclusives. how the hell has he still got a job? and why?
anyway i guess its good business sense for capcom, you go where the money is. it doesnt always have to be about money but most of the time it should be.

i'd say its lack of sales for ps3. doesn't matter what the system is, devs go where there are more users.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Didn't Wii "win" the console war a long time ago? I dont really get it.

Although with MH games on PSP I was actually expecting MH3 for PS3 and some sort of connectivity with the PSP. whatever..

sprocket

Banned
crbowen said:

another? its the first. but thats a good sign for Wii owners. its one thing for devs to throw out a lot of barbies days outs on the console but to get a true huge series exclusive is what Nintendo fans where waiting for.

winjet81 said:
One thing is for sure: it's going to be sweet attcking Wyverns with a swinging motion, rather than the press of a button.

I was going to see if I could toy with PS3 owners this morning, but I already see that there are those who are doing it better than I could.

Kudos to Nintendo to recognize that they need third party support. Now, they need to focus on games with international appeal.

sammy

Good news ----- Wii aiming will certainly justify all the projectile weapon classes.

Hands down, it'll be one of the best looking titles on any platform. Those MH capcom artists just plain kick ass, some of the greatest creature and environment art-design ever - PSP, PS2, Wii ? it doesn't matter to them, they just make it look awesome. Can't wait to see any screenshots at all

Neo C.

damisa said:
from ps3forums:
"Somebody should completely destroy the wii with terrorist. It was fine when it got lil crappy motion controlled games, but now it's taking away real games."
so... does that mean, tommorrow there will be a few rabiat sonyfans trying to sneak in my house, destroying my wii?

As someone who loves the Monster Hunter series I find this news pretty painful.

I was really looking forward to a high definition version... not waggling the Wyverns to death in standard definition.

I wanted the Monster Hunter world to look like... how Afrika is receiving tons of detailed animals that look like photorealistic imagery.

Ahhh well. Such is life.

Grecco

Sometimes i wonder if fans here would love it if Nitnendo would get no Third Party Support. Bitch about it not being there, bitch when its there.

tehbear

haunts said:
Didn't Wii "win" the console war a long time ago? I dont really get it.

This is just a blatant indicator of Wii's victory. HD gaming is pretty much dead in Japan with this latest blow. Japanese-centric games for 360/PS3 will be far and few in between so it's a major detriment to people who wished for gaming choices in that segment.

Most PS3/360 titles nowadays are developed to have Western appeal because they know Japan's market is completely dominated by portables and the Wii. The dying segment won't go quietly of course, Sony still has titles lined up. But it's clear now the lost momentum has created a massive defection for third parties that will never recover.

I don't think HD has much of a chance this gen to take off. Though it might have been better were it Sony's name on a machine but with MS's technology/developer support/moneyhatting in Japan.

RavenFox

Banned
Sorry but this pure ownage. MH3 would have been sweet on PS3-PSN. Nintendo surely scored with a uppercut. Well hope this doesn't turn into the Resident evil fiasco though lol.

Jirotrom said:
good, so stop complaining:D
Hey, the next entry in one of my most favorite franchises has been killed off, I thought I was entitled to air out my frustration.

But I guess not, I mean, there are apparently so many huge Monster Hunter nuts on Gaf that have never shown the slightest bit of interest in the series before today who must know exactly how frickin SICK this latest "Monsters Hunters" is going to be now that it has waggle. I'll just have to take their word on it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I TOLD MYSELF I WOULDN'T CRY

DAMN YOU WII FIT

(lulz. monster hunter is awful imo, but it might be better with online play.)

How come it seems like some of you are so sure to already know the most intricate details about this game gameplay and design before neither you nor anyone here had the chance to play it or even get any detail from Capcom or anyone ? To be honest, I personally don't care or know much about this game, however I understand that this is basically nothing but a sequel to a very traditional franchise...but I mean, that's pretty ridiculous that some of you are already dismissing this game, that happens to be a sequel to one of your favorite franchise, when pretty much all we know about it besides this is the plateform it's on...
Oh, well, after all, I guess Capcom's reputation of running his series and his concepts into the ground and the Wii's reputation to generate totally unambitious project are enough in this case to determine that this tired concept of a game will absolutely not be worth it for you, that wish to see this series evolve spectacularly. Right ?

sprocket

Banned
tehbear said:
This is just a blatant indicator of Wii's victory. HD gaming is pretty much dead in Japan with this latest blow. Japanese-centric games for 360/PS3 will be far and few in between so it's a major detriment to people who wished for gaming choices in that segment.

I wouldn't go that far yet. The ps3 still has the majority all the HUGE japan series and new series. Wii has one. Its good one but its just one. I am expecting a Dragon Quest announcement for the Wii next though.

dfyb

Banned
Grecco said:
Sometimes i wonder if fans here would love it if Nitnendo would get no Third Party Support. Bitch about it not being there, bitch when its there.
i've always said i have my wii for new IPs designed from the ground up with the wiimote in mind (which there hasn't really been yet...). i didn't buy my wii hoping that they would have exclusive sequels that would have otherwise been on a more powerful console.
Jirotrom said:
good, so stop complaining:D
i have a wii too. but i'd rather have been able to play a real next-gen ps3 version. if this is too similar to the PSP game, i have no reason to pick it up. do you have a ps3?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
So now that even a multi-million selling franchise is re-using last gen assets on Wii can we give up any hope of developers ever putting effort(read: budget) into titles for this system?

Grecco

dfyb said:
i've always said i have my wii for new IPs designed from the ground up with the wiimote in mind (which there hasn't really been yet...). i didn't buy my wii hoping that they would have exclusive sequels that would have otherwise been on a more powerful console.
?

New Ips exclusively? :lol Thats not gonna happen.

This makes a lot of sense. Think about how Monster Hunter feels. This is one of the few established action games that seems like a perfect fit for the Wiimote.

sprocket said:
I wouldn't go that far yet. The ps3 still has the majority all the HUGE japan series and new series. Wii has one. Its good one but its just one. I am expecting a Dragon Quest announcement for the Wii next though.

I think he means 'dead' in terms of sales, in which case, I'd definitely go that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom