• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wins exclusive deal for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
StevieP said:
My butt. How about this: perhaps a PS3 MH3 would get outright canned? How's that for your quality games? Maybe this was a move of necessity, due to the PS3 market not being able to support this game in Japan, and maybe it would've been cancelled completely and there would be no MH3. Do you people consider these things sometimes? There's a reason why Nintendo made the Wii a small small step up from last gen, at least in terms of development costs and associated risk. And 2 things: the Wii has quite a bit more juice than the PS2, despite the many PS2 engines populating it telling you otherwise. Second, next gen is 4 years away!!!
MH is a system seller.
Afteryou.jpg

Go multiplatform. Dont cheapen the experience.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Why not? It has both the Classic controller and a good third party arcade stick.

horistick.jpg

Or is this a "HD Sprites" thing again?

Sure, those options are avaliable but not everyone has a CC and certainly not many have an arcade stick. It just makes more sense to put it on something like 360, especially when Capcom have had great success on that platform.

kay

Sho Nuff said:
This better be from scratch -- they better not just port their art assets over from PS2/PSP. I want this shit to be a true sequel!

MH2 PSP <3
I doubt it, from the past, Capcom doesn't like redoing things when they have a choice. RE4/DMC3 PC versions are great examples. Or RE4 GC --> straight port to RE4 Wii edition.

_Alkaline_ said:
Sure, those options are avaliable but not everyone has a CC and certainly not many have an arcade stick. It just makes more sense to put it on something like 360, especially when Capcom have had great success on that platform.

There's the whole 'MS giving up on Japan' thing though.

I love how narrow minded some people can be...

"Monster Hunter sucks and isn't popular in NA, so it's no big deal"

If this title sells more Wii in Japan to the hardc0rz gAymerz over there, what do you think the other developers will do... just sit back spending their millions of dollars on HD development for a smaller audience or develop titles cheaply on Wii to sell to the new hardcore games who'll have the Wii?

I think this is the first step in a huge shift in Japan and that shift will impact the games you play around the world.

_Alkaline_ said:

Street Fighter IV will most likely be a 2D game. I don't see why it has to be exclusive to any system quite frankly.

Ristamar

_Alkaline_ said:
Sure, those options are avaliable but not everyone has a CC and certainly not many have an arcade stick.

Doesn't the 360 d-pad suck for fighting games?

Anyway, I don't know jack about the MH franchise, so this annoucement doesn't mean much to me right now. Guess I'll read up and see what the fuss is all about.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Hopefully MH next gen is just taking longer to make so they just churn up a cheaper version until the real game shows up as MH4

DeaconKnowledge said:
Street Fighter IV will most likely be a 2D game. I don't see why it has to be exclusive to any system quite frankly.

Becoming a DS game would also be a very good option, due to the userbase and the great software sales on the platform.

Doesn't the 360 d-pad suck for fighting games?

Yes, yes it does. But it's still more preferable than Wii, unless you put in on PS3. But Capcom has no reason to put it on PS3 at this time.

StevieP

Banned
PistolGrip said:
MH is a system seller.
Chicken or the egg

Go multiplatform. Dont cheapen the experience.

Cute. Again with your 'cheapen' line. Listen, do I even need to argue about how the HD consoles are doing in Japan (PS3 is selling worse than the Cube)? Oh, and where does this game sell most, by far? It's like so many of you want to avoid market reality and continue to trot out hyperbolic opinions on how everything that goes to Wii is ruined. I can't wait for the DQX thread.

Hopefully MH next gen is just taking longer to make so they just churn up a cheaper version until the real game shows up as MH4

dragonaforehead.jpg, bailout.gif

m14

I think when people on here talked of Nintendo securing big exclusives, this title was not foremost in their minds. They really need to do better than this, because the big titles on PS3 and the 40gb are getting nearer by the day. Tick tock, tick tock...

JoeFu

Banned
The meltdowns in this thread are amazing.

Come on guys, if a game is fun and awesome, who cares what system it's on?

IF SF4 came out on Wii it would be the real SF4, you wanna know why?

Because it would be called Street Fighter 4.

I don't get this real/fake stuff.

Clouseau

m14 said:
I think when people on here talked of Nintendo securing big exclusives, this title was not foremost in their minds. They really need to do better than this, because the big titles on PS3 and the 40gb are getting nearer by the day. Tick tock, tick tock...

:lol

No wait....

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You guys are seriously starting to sound like gamecube fans from last gen....

Mojovonio said:
yeah, I'm a little late, but wow.

How the hell is anyone going to play this online?
They can't, it's on Wii.

kay said:
I doubt it, from the past, Capcom doesn't like redoing things when they have a choice. RE4/DMC3 PC versions are great examples. Or RE4 GC --> straight port to RE4 Wii edition.
Bad examples though. Both RE4 and DMC3 PC were not done by Capcom and RE4 Wii was supposed to be a port all the time.

_Alkaline_ said:
He's being sarcastic lol
Judging by his post history I'd say he's not. Scary thought but there you have it.

Kyoufu

So can anyone explain the friends codes system to me? I've never taken the Wii online. Is it straight-forward or did they send MH3 out to die (online gaming wise)?

m14 said:

NeoFAQs FTW!

kay

Phife Dawg said:
They can't, it's on Wii.

Bad examples though. Both RE4 and DMC3 PC were not done by Capcom and RE4 Wii was supposed to be a port all the time.
Who knows who is handling this game though. It seems very early to announce the game if they already haven't reused at least some things. But Capcom doesn't seem to have much else to do as DMC4 is done and they are very light on projects this generation.

StevieP said:
Cute. Again with your 'cheapen' line. Listen, do I even need to argue about how the HD consoles are doing in Japan (PS3 is selling worse than the Cube)? Oh, and where does this game sell most, by far? It's like so many of you want to avoid market reality and continue to trot out hyperbolic opinions on how everything that goes to Wii is ruined. I can't wait for the DQX thread.
This is what I love.

The sales age brats who have never even heard of the game beyond "it sells a lot in Japan" jumping for joy at a phantom victory or playing the damage control card at a phantom loss. You didn't care about this game before, you certainly didn't buy it in the States and in all likely hood you're not going to care for or play this new one.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
kay said:
Who knows who is handling this game though. It seems very early to announce the game if they already haven't reused at least some things. But Capcom doesn't seem to have much else to do as DMC4 is done and they are very light on projects this generation.

There's that whole Resident Evil 5 thing.

m14

MickeyKnox said:
This is what I love.

The sales age brats who have never even heard of the game beyond "it sells a lot in Japan" jumping for joy at a phantom victory or playing the damage control card at a phantom loss. You didn't care about this game before, you certainly didn't buy it in the States and in all likely hood you're not going to care for or play this new one.
I think it helps them cope while we're having a blast playing Lair.

oracrest

this is awesome news. My only concern is the possibility that it might not get released over here in the states because of it's lack of success.

If there is a handful of teams out there that I feel comfortable with making a beautifully looking game on any system, regardless of specs, it's capcom's monster hunter team. Just look how awesome Monster Hunter Freedom 2 looks, and its on PSP.

Also, this really opens them up to do some interesting things with the Wii remote, including update the fighting system. All the missile weapon interactions will feel much better if they feel like MP3 corruption, and not the clunky analog sticks. Even all the melee weapons will be tons of fun if you are actually swinging the controller like the weapon, and not trying to execute a memorized sequence of buttons over and over. Those who complain that the sacrifice of "graphics" because of it's translation to Wii from PS3 are lacking heavily in imagination when it comes to what the monster hunter team has done with constraints in the past, and also the possibilities of the unique controller making the fighting system feel totally fresh.

This is great news.

StevieP

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
This is what I love.

I'm not arguing on behalf of the game, I'm arguing about 'brats' like yourself who ignore the reality of the situation. Either this game was going to go to portables/PS2, or it was going to go to Wii (or maybe even disappear altogether, worst case scenario). PS3's market isn't going to sustain a very healthy third party market for a title like this one for the time being, as has been quite clear for awhile now. FFXIII is a different story, even if it may sell a bit less than its predecessors. It's just something you're going to have to deal with. Oh, and you know what? If they localize it, I could see myself giving it a rent, at the very least. I did rent MH1, after all.

VonGak!

Banned
TTP said:
Too bad. Was dreaming of a MH3 with Afrika graphics. Will keep dreaming I guess.

Yeah and not just graphics but also an open living/breathing world instead of being split up into memoryless sections like on the PS2.

I guess someone else will have to make that game though it would be nice to see Capcom push the meaning of next gen (not saying that they might not have some neat ideas for the Wii-mote in stall for us).

Kintaro

kay said:
One game for a company as large as they are?

Well, according to a lot of people, it takes a gigantic amount of effort to make games for PS3/360 for very little in return. So, yes. One game for the whole of Capcom. :lol

Careful not to slip in the sarcasm. =)

kay said:
You think this won't be developed in-house? Capcom has Z&W, We Love Golf, now MH3, RE5, DMC4, RE:UC excluding handhelds and titles I've probably forgotten to add. This is being light on projects?

sprocket

Banned
I think the one screen doesn't look bad. This is a big deal it marks the first time a real 3d party main series has moved onto the Wii. MP3 has shown that the Wii can indeed produce great graphics. I hope devs start to flesh out better Wii game engines now that its become so popular.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
PistolGrip said:
THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE FEARED. Money being taken away from making an exceptional experience to a cheapened one for a quick buck. This is the reality of the New Gen.

The hilarious hyperbole of this cannot be stressed enough.

StevieP said:
I'm not arguing on behalf of the game, I'm arguing about 'brats' like yourself who ignore the reality of the situation. Either this game was going to go to portables/PS2, or it was going to go to Wii (or maybe even disappear altogether, worst case scenario). PS3's market isn't going to sustain a very healthy third party market for a title like this one for the time being, as has been quite clear for awhile now. FFXIII is a different story, even if it may sell a bit less than its predecessors. It's just something you're going to have to deal with. Oh, and you know what? If they localize it, I could see myself giving it a rent, at the very least. I did rent MH1, after all.
Here's what you're not seeing.

Monster Hunter 3 is for all intents and purposes, completely canceled, it's never coming. That's the "reality of the situation" for a die hard MH fan.

PistolGrip said:
If PS3 doesn't start selling better in Japan, MH4 for PS3 is just a pipedream. I doubt Capcom is devoting any time to MH development in any form on PS3 right now at all.

And, IMO, this news of MH3 exclusive to Wii is going to really make that difficult. Wii is going to absolutely dominate Japan even more than it is now IMO.

I expect this is just the first of many other huge franchises switching over from the PS family to Wii.

kay

Phife Dawg said:
You think this won't be developed in-house? Capcom has Z&W, We Love Golf, now MH3, RE5, DMC4, RE:UC excluding handhelds and titles I've probably forgotten to add. This is being light on projects?
All of those games are basically done minus RE5. Right now, they have very few (that we know about).

Xiaoki

That about ends Monster Hunter for me.

Bitter tears?

Yes, I'm crying that Monster Hunter will never become nothing more than a cash in now.

I was hoping Capcom would utilize the PS3 to evolve the series and I don't just mean the graphics.
I was hoping for huge seamless levels, advanced AI, advanced physics and an online meeting town that rivals any MMO.

You know why I wanted those things? Because as much I love Monster Hunter I can only play it in it's current form for so long. To the people that have now only developed an interest in this series because it's now on a Nintendo system I will say this: Monster Hunter is repetitive as hell and can get extremely boring. I'm not kidding. I'm feeling it right now on MHF2. I haven't played in the last couple days because I dread jumping into the grind that is rare parts farming. Even a friend of mine that put over a 1000 hours in MH1 won't even think of playing now unless it's multiplayer and even then only certain monsters.

If MH3 turns out to be just another expansion to MH1 from 2004 then count me out no matter what system it's on.

sprocket said:
I think the one screen doesn't look bad. This is a big deal it marks the first time a real 3d party main series has moved onto the Wii. MP3 has shown that the Wii can indeed produce great graphics. I hope devs start to flesh out better Wii game engines now that its become so popular.

Bolded for truth.

This is my only opinion on this announcement. Since Wii is obviously going to be the next gen leader then devs needs to buckle down and produce good stuff for it. If the GameCube would have something that looked as good as RE4 then I expect as much from the Wii...of course it still early in the generation.

PistolGrip said:
THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE FEARED. Money being taken away from making an exceptional experience to a cheapened one for a quick buck. This is the reality of the New Gen.
Oh, come on. You are blaming Capcom for wanting to make money on their games? Why would a company focus their resources on the console which is obviously faring much worse, with a much lower user base and much higher development costs? It would be RETARDED for Capcom to continue to support PS3 over Wii. They would basically be throwing money down the toilet.

No, the blame for this falls squarely on Sony's shoulders for messing up the PS3 from the get go by pricing it out of the mainstream's price range. If Sony had released the PS3 without Blu-Ray, it would have released 6 months earlier and cost $150-200 less. It would have a substantially higher marketshare and none of this stuff would be happening.

Kintaro

Maxwell House said:
If PS3 doesn't start selling better in Japan, MH4 for PS3 is just a pipedream. I doubt Capcom is developing any time to MH development in any form on PS3 right now at all.

And, IMO, this news of MH3 exclusive to Wii is going to really make that difficult. Wii is going to absolutely dominate Japan even more than it is now IMO.

I expect this is just the first of many other huge franchises switching over from the PS family to Wii.

Not that I'm taking issue with Wii dominating Japan (it's not, DS is), but MONSTER HUNTER is the title that is going to make it dominate even more now? Seriously? How much do you people expect it to sell?

Culex

Banned
Xiaoki said:

Bitter tears?

Yes, I'm crying that Monster Hunter will never become nothing more than a cash in now.

I was hoping Capcom would utilize the PS3 to evolve the series and I don't just mean the graphics.
I was hoping for huge seamless levels, advanced AI, advanced physics and an online meeting town that rivals any MMO.

You know why I wanted those things? Because as much I love Monster Hunter I can only play it in it's current form for so long. To the people that have now only developed an interest in this series because it's now on a Nintendo system I will say this: Monster Hunter is repetitive as hell and can get extremely boring. I'm not kidding. I'm feeling it right now on MHF2. I haven't played in the last couple days because I dread jumping into the grind that is rare parts farming. Even a friend of mine that put over a 1000 hours in MH1 won't even think of playing now unless it's multiplayer and even then only certain monsters.

If MH3 turns out to be just another expansion to MH1 from 2004 then count me out no matter what system it's on.

I can understand your gripes, however, it really is in Capcom's best interests to put this on the Wii. It will sell BOATLOADS of copies in Japan, since it will be on the console with the largest userbase (not including PS2) and the one with the most going for it at the moment.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Xiaoki said:

Bitter tears?

Oh dear Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom