• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wins exclusive deal for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kintaro said:
Not that I'm taking issue with Wii dominating Japan (it's not, DS is), but MONSTER HUNTER is the title that is going to make it dominate even more now? Seriously? How much do you people expect it to sell?
MH is a gigantic franchise in Japan.

Xiaoki said:
That about ends Monster Hunter for me.

Bitter tears?

Yes, I'm crying that Monster Hunter will never become nothing more than a cash in now.

I was hoping Capcom would utilize the PS3 to evolve the series and I don't just mean the graphics.
I was hoping for huge seamless levels, advanced AI, advanced physics and an online meeting town that rivals any MMO.

You know why I wanted those things? Because as much I love Monster Hunter I can only play it in it's current form for so long. To the people that have now only developed an interest in this series because it's now on a Nintendo system I will say this: Monster Hunter is repetitive as hell and can get extremely boring. I'm not kidding. I'm feeling it right now on MHF2. I haven't played in the last couple days because I dread jumping into the grind that is rare parts farming. Even a friend of mine that put over a 1000 hours in MH1 won't even think of playing now unless it's multiplayer and even then only certain monsters.

If MH3 turns out to be just another expansion to MH1 from 2004 then count me out no matter what system it's on.

If sales are the reason why it's going to the Wii, why not port it to the PS2 as well and effectively double (or even triple) potential sales?

Bust Nak

Oh yeah, roasting your raw meat, will it come out brunt or under cook? Waggle at just the right rhythm in tune with the jingle! New-gen!

This is not a victory for nintendo, but the spoils after winning the console war.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Maxwell House said:
MH is a gigantic franchise in Japan.

Gigantic now? Really? Selling a million is impressive, but it didn't get those numbers on a console. Gigantic? Come on now.

_leech_ said:
If sales are the reason why it's going to the Wii, why not port it to the PS2 as well and effectively double (or even triple) potential sales?
PS2 sales are declining at an accelerating rate. By the time MH3 comes out, PS2 sales aren't going to be that large.

Next gen sales are taking over more with each passing month.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
The current McDonalds of gaming wins another exclusive. Can't stand cheap, crap quality food myself but will it sell? I am sure it will. Somehow people still gorge it down. Enjoy your meal.

Kintaro said:
Gigantic now? Really? Selling a million is impressive, but it didn't get those numbers on a console. Gigantic? Come on now.
It is a marquee franchise, and just another reason for people to buy a Wii over PS3. I believe this is just the first of big game announcements for Wii (games moving over from PS family to Wii).

The market assures that.

kay

_leech_ said:
Because it will have waggle, says so in the press release. And Capcom just stated discontinued PS2 support. Hmm, could this have been a quick switch?

Maxwell House said:
PS2 sales are declining at an accelerating rate. By the time MH3 comes out, PS2 sales aren't going to be that large.

Next gen sales are taking over more with each passing month.
That doesn't matter, PS2 version sales of dual releases trounce Wii sales

SaitoH

Thunderbear said:
The current McDonalds of gaming wins another exclusive. Can't stand cheap, crap quality food myself but will it sell? I am sure it will. Somehow people still gorge it down. Enjoy your meal.

You know ... I'm a fan of Monster Hunter and own a PS3, but wow ...

Tenbatsu

MickeyKnox said:
?

It's not a graphics issue at all, though a MH with Lost Planet visuals would have been awesome, the visuals in the game have always been more about the art direction. So I don't care what it looks like but I already know exactly what it's going to play like. The games have always been very old school type skill based action games, that require tons of fast and direct input and quick reflexes to complete whatever quest you're on. The fun of the game is derived from the skill based play being extended over hundreds and hundreds of hours grinding to get better gear, that's thousands of quests with each quest requiring hundreds of individual button inputs to string combos together and perform defensive/evasive actions.

It's just one of those things, that even I thought of when I first got the Wii, man it'd be fun swinging the weapons around to do attacks, but the whole thing breaks apart when you really visualize how it would play out. There's only two possible scenarios, it's either going to be Monster Hunter with waggle and be terrible, or it's going to 'not MH' (lock on, completely different damage system, short quests and no grinding in order to make physically playing it not be a complete chore) in which case it's not Monster Hunter so I don't care.

As far as the blowing things out of proportion, what do you expect? The complete obscurity of this series does make my lone rantings seem bitchy but this is like the next and only installment of Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Street Fighter or Soul Calibur being announced as a waggle fest. People would be pissed and rightly so.

Controls they can learn from No More Heroes, waggle when necessary. Meat cooking is a perfect example, press button to cook, waggle at the right timing.

The ultimate reason I wanted MH to be on Wii is not because of what fan boy shit thingy. Thats utterly crap. Its because I want Capcom to utilize the Wiimote for the different weapons and had been telling my hunter buddies since MHG that the Wii is the perfect console for the series to evolve. Having putting 1000plus hrs in the series, I know what am talking about here.

Today 10/10/2008 my farking dream came true. Holy shit!

Tenbatsu said:
Controls they can learn from No More Heroes, waggle when necessary. Meat cooking is a perfect example, press button to cook, waggle at the right timing.

The ultimate reason I wanted MH to be on Wii is not because of what fan boy shit thingy. Thats utterly crap. Its because I want Capcom to utilize the Wiimote for the different weapons and had been telling my hunter buddies since MHG that the Wii is the perfect console for the series to evolve.

The game already came out? Awesome. :p

Gattsu25

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Oh dear Jesus.
On the flip side, I find the surprising newfound interest in the franchise delicious!
siamesedreamer said:
I take it this is huge news for Nintendo and a pretty big blow to Sony?
Hirokazu Hamamura said:
"So, the transfer of the platform is a positive surprise for Nintendo and negative news for Sony," he said.

Kintaro

Maxwell House said:
It is a marquee franchise, and just another reason for people to buy a Wii over PS3. I believe this is just the first of big game announcements for Wii (games moving over from PS family to Wii).

The market assures that.

Alrighty then. When is DMC 5 and Resident Evil 6 moving over?

Threi

notag
Thunderbear said:
WOW. Either you are being sarcastic or you are 12 years old.

Kintaro

Tenbatsu said:
Meat cooking is a perfect example, press button to cook, waggle at the right timing.

This is actually fun for people? In any type of game on any system? Serious question here. Doing extra stuff for mundane gameplay elements?

Bust Nak

Xiaoki said:
Monster Hunter is repetitive as hell and can get extremely boring.
No 3rd party games on the Wii lol -> PS2 port, PS3 will get the real version -> it's a cheap cash in -> it's a crap game to begin with anyway

Gattsu25

Banned
Kintaro said:
This is actually fun for people? In any type of game on any system? Serious question here. Doing extra stuff for mundane gameplay elements?
I wouldn't add waggle for cooking ; ;

In the PS2 version, the right analog stick was used to initiate attacks. If those controls are the only aspect of the game that receive the waggle treatment, I'll be happy.

Tenbatsu said:

The ultimate reason I wanted MH to be on Wii is not because of what fan boy shit thingy. Thats utterly crap. Its because I want Capcom to utilize the Wiimote for the different weapons and had been telling my hunter buddies since MHG that the Wii is the perfect console for the series to evolve.

This exactly the kind of utter crap I'm talking about.

Kintaro

Bust Nak said:
No 3rd party games on the Wii lol -> PS2 port, PS3 will get the real version -> it's a cheap cash in -> it's a crap game to begin with anyway

Did you read his entire post or...nevermind.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Is this a big deal? (Not familiar with these games.)

gcubed

Bust Nak said:

no way to get around monster hunter being a big game and a great seller in japan. I own both a ps3 and a wii, so while i am slightly upset that the game will have the same visuals as my MHP2 game i am crossing my fingers that capcom can actually utilize the wiimote correctly in this game... a feat not often pulled off too well by 3rd parties. Either way, whatever system it came out on, i'm in

Gattsu25

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
Most in this thread aren't either (outside of sales performance, likely)

One of the best new series moving to the Wii is huge news.

Vagabundo: glad to see you're now a MH fan

Tenbatsu

MickeyKnox said:
This exactly the kind of utter crap I'm talking about.

Alright, I cant said anything now about the controls, its just speculation. Just wait for the preview and see what can Capcom come up with. At least you still know that MH is a game that a lock on is a no no:lol Gunlance, the thought of using it with the Wii remote:D
mhfreedom2art04.jpg

gcubed said:
no way to get around monster hunter being a big game and a great seller in japan. I own both a ps3 and a wii, so while i am slightly upset that the game will have the same visuals as my MHP2 game i am crossing my fingers that capcom can actually utilize the wiimote correctly in this game... a feat not often pulled off too well by 3rd parties. Either way, whatever system it came out on, i'm in

That said Capcom has been the best 3rd party with the wiimote so far.

Jeff-DSA

Thunderbear said:

Hey, get those bitter tears away from my fries!

Take a step back from the ledge, guys. Sure, it's a big franchise, but it's hardly the make or break moment for Nintendo/Sony here. The Wii already has established itself as the console of choice this generation. This is most likely just the beginning of much more to come.

NIghtWolf

im sorry to say this but im kind of glad capcom did this. Sony deserve it, they need to learn about that now and be more agressive in the third's games development.

just my opinion.

Gahiggidy said:
Let me break it down for you:

Sony fans who never gave a crap about the game other than as a positive talking point in JP sales threads: "Whatever, this isn't important, Monster Hunter sucks anyway."

Nintendo fans who never gave a crap about the game and still don't give a crap about it other than as a game that sells well in Japan: "OMG THIS IS HUGE NEWS! Nintendo wins console war double confirmed. Monster Hunter is a great franchise and Capcom will truly use the revolutionary motion controls to... uh... what do you do in this game again?"

Die hard Monster Hunter fans, especially NA ones who've been waiting for a new real console MH game since 2005: "This is worse than Parasite Eve 3 and Megaman Legends 3 for cellphones combined."

Valcrist said:
from the mh gamefaqs board:
"http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8166447&postcount=2201

LMAO, Defeuser is a NeoGAF loser!

Up your NeoGAF. You represent everything that is wrong with gaming.

See you on Nerd War. (a website for those of you who dont know.)
"
:lol poor defuser =[

If you thought that was bad then...
http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=103270

Anyway great coup for Nintendo. Should be interesting to see if a pattern forms with this jumping ship malarkey..

I have never heard or played Monster Hunter games, but I have never owned a PS or Nintendo console outside of PS1.

I think now I need to buy a Wii, i submit myself to the wii, it attracts me too much away from 360

Gattsu25

Banned
kay said:
So waggle = worthy of sequel instead?
Apparently, if you borrow his logic.

MH3 will bring a shit ton of content, by default. That's something that many here seem to forget. MH3 will be worthy of the '3' in its name, regardless of platform.

Brofist

Good to see MH get a new set of diehard fans all of a sudden Now the Nintendo fans can play what we've been raving about for the last few years. :D

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Gattsu25 said:
I wouldn't add waggle for cooking ; ;

In the PS2 version, the right analog stick was used to initiate attacks. If those controls are the only aspect of the game that receive the waggle treatment, I'll be happy.

absolutely OT: where is that skull in your avatar from?

Threi

notag
from what i have observed the ideal choice would have been to put it on cell phones. Well, there is always next time guys.

Jammy

Banned
Jesus Christ.

You people will probably act surprised as hell when Dragon Quest X is announced exclusively for the Wii, too.

sprocket

Banned
some of you are melting down for no reason. For every game the uses the ps3/360s power for more than just graphics there are 10 other games that do not.

The Wii is capable of doing a lot of the things the big boys can do. just not as pretty.

satori

Wow, I was looking forward to MH3 on the ps3. I own all three console but, I really wanted on the PS3. I guess I will be dusting off the Wii for Smash and MH3...

Is this the first major effect of the Wii Domination? Next in FF7 remake on Wii!!! Sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom