• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wins exclusive deal for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andokuky

Banned
Since when was Monster Hunter any good? This might be big news in Japan (where Nintendo has pretty much locked up #1 already anyway) but I really couldn't care less about this, the PS2 game sucked ass and I'm sure a Wii version will be similar to that + waggle.

Gattsu25

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
It's just one of those things, that even I thought of when I first got the Wii, man it'd be fun swinging the weapons around to do attacks, but the whole thing breaks apart when you really visualize how it would play out. There's only two possible scenarios, it's either going to be Monster Hunter with waggle and be terrible, or it's going to 'not MH' (lock on, completely different damage system, short quests and no grinding in order to make physically playing it not be a complete chore) in which case it's not Monster Hunter so I don't care.
Not a bad concern, actually.

sp0rsk said:
But we don't know how it controls at all.
Did the Wii suddenly start shipping with a normal controller out the box? Did the Wiimote and nunchuck sprout extra buttons and turn into a classic controller?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
MickeyKnox said:
Did the Wii suddenly start shipping with a normal controller out the box? Did the Wiimote and nunchuck sprout extra buttons and turn into a classic controller?

Did Capcom all of a sudden start producing shitty games?

Thats an interesting thought, if a FFVII remake was announced for Wii next week - would the fanboys be happy its actually happening at all or just be disgusted its on Wii because the system will be holding the game back from being super duper?

Of course its Sony's only hope left so they'll do everything they can to make sure its on PS3, but I would enjoy laughing at GAF's reaction if this MH3 (a relatively small fanbase compared to FFVII) thing is anything to go by. :lol

StevieP

Banned
MickeyKnox said:

You've got an analog stick and a d-pad, plus 6 easily accesible buttons (and 2 additional buttons for anciliery functions) on top of waggle, you know... drama queen.

Andokuky said:
Since when was Monster Hunter any good? This might be big news in Japan (where Nintendo has pretty much locked up #1 already anyway) but I really couldn't care less about this, the PS2 game sucked ass and I'm sure a Wii version will be similar to that + waggle.

Don't know. I've always thought it was one of the many crap games the Japanesse buy because it'...well...japanessey.

le.phat

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm pretty sure the proper response for real fans of Monster Hunter, regardless of the platform it has been announced for, is "Yay!"

I've never played it, so I'm simply going to say, "kumquat".

i'm a huge MH nut but this announcement makes me cringe...

sp0rsk said:
Did Capcom all of a sudden start producing shitty games?
So Street Fighter 4 waggle is the true sequel everyone wants right?

And to deal with people trying to turn me into some system war loon, I own a Wii, a PS3, a custom PC and soon to be 360. My ideal Monster Hunter 3 scenario would have seen the game go across 360, PC and PS3 with inter system online play.

3rdman

gofreak said:
Nintendo had to broker a deal for this. Capcom had motivation (lower cost), but it looks like Nintendo had to move in to get it.

This is like Capcom 5..except it's Capcom 1. It's among a rarity of more premier franchises that's on Wii and not on PS3/360. But unfortunately, even with a premier franchise, they seem to be jumping on the chance to cheap out.
Yes...Nintendo (while killing in Japan in the home and portable market) went to Capcom with hat in hand begging for support.

If anything, I'd expect that it was Capcom that stopped accepting calls from Sony and got this going. Last I heard Capcom likes money.

Mau ®

Thats pretty big in Japan. First real game to go 1 million! j/k

Its weird, I always thought it was going to PS3 and 360 version was going to be announced anytime now...guess not. They already have a next gen engine, which would cut costs somewhat. Oh well...

People might not realize how big this piece of news is but when we look back we will think this was bigger than we thought.

FFXIII switch to Wii would crash GAF servers for days! *shivers* please dont do it SE!!!!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
MickeyKnox said:

And to deal with people trying to turn me into some system war loon, I own a Wii, a PS3, a custom PC and soon to be 360. My ideal Monster Hunter 3 scenario would have seen the game go across 360, PC and PS3 with inter system online play.

If SF4 Waggle was fucking awesome who cares?

Sharp

I know this is a big deal in Japan but it really doesn't affect me, as I've never played Monster Hunter anything. If it's an MMO of any sort, though, I'm not at all sure how Capcom can make it work properly with Nintendo's Wi-fi service.

Xekrn

Banned
LOL @ the meltdown and bitter tears in this thread. Just go buy a Wii and move on. You know everyone on the earth will end up buying a Wii sooner or later.

Linkhero1

MickeyKnox said:

horistick.jpg

SFIV doesn't need waggle controls =P

MickeyKnox said:

Really? Why do you think this would ever happen?

MickeyKnox said:

Then you know the Wii does have that CLassic controller too......

I'd laugh if they went all out controller wise like Brawl offering you to play with whatever control scheme you wanted.

Then they'd just go back to the Wii graphics are teh suxxors whining.

I can't see why ANYONE can judge the online aspect of the game yet, as far as I'm aware if Capcom want to do their own server (which they will) they can do whatever they want - no friends codes, no nothing. So why be all paranoid about that.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
StevieP said:
So the Wii can't have exceptional experiences. Did you skip out on all of those exceptional experiences on the PS2 last gen? Or were those all cheapened experiences for quick bucks too? God, advancement is such a stupidly subjective term, and can be applied to many things. Your hyperbole isn't helping the situation.
I would be equally upset if they had announced this as a PS2 game. As gaming evolves our expectations evolve with them. The Wii cannot meet these Next Gen expectations. Capcom is doing this to save cost meaning making a less quality game (poorer graphics, AI, animation, physics that would have been possible). Nothing against the Wii.

Sharp said:
I know this is a big deal in Japan but it really doesn't affect me, as I've never played Monster Hunter anything. If it's an MMO of any sort, though, I'm not at all sure how Capcom can make it work properly with Nintendo's Wi-fi service.
It should worry you though because its a sign of things to come. As this business grows, more of these great dedicated companies become EA clones and try in turn in a quick profit by lowering their standards.

Aside from the fact that we're getting an online MH3 :D , the absolute best news is that Iwata finally talked about courting hardcore gamers. It is time for Nintendo to make the Wii a rounded system filled with awesome. It looks like Nintendo might try and actively pursue third parties for core games for their system now. I hope this means more efforts from Nintendo's own studios as well.

Ramenman

MickeyKnox said:

A game being on the Wii doesn't automatically get all the character's moves mapped to the player's ones.

Look at No More Heroes. It's the perfect example of balance between motions and buttons.

Just because it's on Wii and the character got a sword doesn't mean that you're going to waggle zelda-like everytime you want to attack.

sp0rsk said:
Why wouldn't it be?

I swear to god, you people.

dont have that attitude, you are taking one extreme, others are taking another, no one is right or wrong.

but obviously people who were die hard fans of Street Fighter 2 and Street fighter 3 would be pissed. They might like it for another reason and it could still be fun with waggle, but it wouldent be what they were looking forward to for years and years.

sp0rsk said:
If SF4 Waggle was fucking awesome who cares?
The people who have been waiting for a real SF4?

I would not give a shit about this if there was a proper version of the game coming out, even better, if it could serve as a more accessible gateway to the series then it'd be a welcome addition. It's not like I don't want the Wii to get an awesome game, it's just that as someone who's been completely nuts about this series since the launch day of the first game, I know that to make this a good/fun game to play on the system it would need to be completely changed, to the point where it would either be a shitty dumbed down version of the game, or a genuinely fun experience that is completely different from what makes it such an enjoyable series for me. And while I would want that "not Monster Hunter" game to be great so I can get more out of my Wii, I still want a proper sequel.

StevieP

Banned
PistolGrip said:
I would be equally upset if they had announced this as a PS2 game. As gaming evolves our expectations evolve with them. The Wii cannot meet these Next Gen expectations. Capcom is doing this to save cost meaning making a less quality game (poorer graphics, AI, animation, physics that would have been possible). Nothing against the Wii.

My butt. How about this: perhaps a PS3 MH3 would get outright canned? How's that for your quality games? Maybe this was a move of necessity, due to the PS3 market not being able to support this game in Japan, and maybe it would've been cancelled completely and there would be no MH3. Do you people consider these things sometimes? There's a reason why Nintendo made the Wii a small small step up from last gen, at least in terms of development costs and associated risk. And 2 things: the Wii has quite a bit more juice than the PS2, despite the many PS2 engines populating it telling you otherwise. Second, next gen is 4 years away!!!

Guess what. If SF4 gets announced for Wii, it's the real SF4. If it gets announced for Dreamcast 2, it's still the real SF4. How do you like them apples? *feeling sp0rsk's pain*

Redd

It's sad really damned if you damned if you don't. There's just no pleasing the fans that just hate. You wanted third party support with effort they do it. Then you hate them for it . It's like everyone just wants minigames on the Wii for some reason so they can feel justified when the bash it.

Sho Nuff

Banned
This better be from scratch -- they better not just port their art assets over from PS2/PSP. I want this shit to be a true sequel!

MH2 PSP <3

P90

MickeyKnox said:

What is a real SF4? What is a real about anygame? Something that has been vainly done over and over and over? Does that make it real? count me out of that type of thinking.

Redd said:
It's sad really damned if you damned if you don't. There's just no pleasing the fans that just hate. You wanted third party support with effort they do it. Then you hate them for it . It's like everyone just wants minigames on the Wii for some reason so they can feel justified when the bash it.

Effort?

It's only been announced ffs. It could end up total crap.

madara

Holy meltdowns, this thread delivers. If it forces developers to try more stylized graphic engines then just cgifest sterile Advent Children worlds I say this could be plus. Lets see how it turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom