• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wins exclusive deal for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenbatsu

sp0rsk said:
New MH is new MH, and thank god it's going to be online.

MH without online is pure crap except for Dos. Anw, its time to call up my old hunting buddies and pack my hunting bag:D

*disclaimer: I'm probably the biggest MH fan on this board, I already own a Wii and there's no reason at all for me to care about this game.

High 5!~ Silversoul armor, ya mine this time!

Well, that's unexpected, and I'd classify that as a Megaton, since the MH series seemed like one of the few things that could keep the PS3/PSP* alive.

*PSP seems to fair well the past few weeks though.

Eteric Rice said:
I blame this on denial/blatant stupidity.

Actually, all this is is a large amount of people with differing opinions.
It's as simple as that.

People tend to generalize others into groups, when actually, they are standalone members of society whose opinion is singular and mostly, unique. They are mixed into a mesh of hundreds of other opinions because most can't keep up with or remember individual opinions.

For that reason, Nintendo, Sony, Xbox, Capcom, Square, etc fans are often seen as "contradicting" themselves, based on two or more separated opinions.

Most of the time, at least.

:lol

Ynos Yrros said:
I'm pretty sure that it's my first post of that nature, and it's made because of disapointment. The sky isn't falling, but the MH franchise sure isn't rising either.

Have you ever played the game? Seems not. The game is made for pad controls. Playing it on a keyboard would suck.
No I haven't, but since PC supports keyboard, mouse and pad it automatically wins out because everyone can play like they want to.

Jigsaw said:
Famitsu:
PS2
Monster Hunter: 288.559
Monster Hunter 2: 576.510
Monster Hunter G: 232.239

PSP
Monster Hunter Freedom: 668.964
Monster Hunter Freedom 2: 1.305.644
Moster Hunter Portable (The Best): 290.904

System seller for PSP indeed. Best selling PSP titles by FAR, only FFVII comes close (and will overtake MH:Freedom).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Eteric Rice said:
Damn people. The Wii doesn't get any good games, you laugh. It gets a good game, you cry.

Fixed. I don't really see the double standard. People make fun of the crappy looking Wii games - just because some of them DO look so facking awful - but then dismaying when a company switches the vision for a 'big' game, doesn't represent a double standard. I can mock crappy looking games on Wii, doesn't mean I want games that are more flagship to be moved off other systems and onto Wii. It's not really a double standard.

Gattsu25

Banned
• Somehow pull a MHF2 (double the content over the original)
• Keep the vibe of the old games
• Add better animations and sound (graphics, not so much, but I am fully expecting MH3 to trump MHF2 in terms of "How the hell did they manage to get this to look so good?" moments)
• Add gestures to replace the PS2 right analog stick controls
• Have a more PSO like online system

Get to it, Capcom :D

Eteric Rice

-WindYoshi- said:
Actually, all this is is a large amount of people with differing opinions.
It's as simple as that.

People tend to generalize others into groups, when actually, they are standalone members of society whose opinion is singular and mostly, unique. They are mixed into a mesh of hundreds of other opinions because most can't keep up with or remember individual opinions.

I was more or less talking about people ignoring the Wii's success and expecting it to get nothing but spin-offs. :p

Saoh

Eteric Rice said:
I blame this on denial/blatant stupidity.

neogaf1.gif

Tenbatsu

Holy Shit this is awesome, I need to buy a wii now. Question, is the wii region free or will I need a Japanese system to play this bad boy?

Think you better play the English version if there is one. I was banned by KDDI for playing the Japanese version of MH2 Dos as the service is not for user outside Japan. Some more US version online are usually free.

yurinka

I remember the Big 5 of Capcom for the GameCube and the RE Code Veronica exclusive for the Dreamcast (and the Winning Eleven and Katamari exclusives for the X360). Also remember the Capcom 'multiplatform strategy'.

Looks like Capcom won't spend a huge amount of money in the PS3 version until it has a better HW sales (I think they will come with the price drop, Christmas sales and AAA releases like soccer games, MGS, FFXIII or GT). So they will continue with the psp versions and now they will port to the Wii using a improved version of the old PS2 engine (same used in PSP versions).

I readed the sharewatch new and the Capcom press release. The only one who says 'exclusive' is the Sharewatch guy. And they said they switched to Wii, but they didn't said the PS3 version is cancelled, so maybe it's on hold.

And Capcom also says in the press release: "We believe that by bringing the "Monster Hunter" series to multiple platforms, it will help the franchise reach an even greater number of users eager for its unique gameplay."

Eteric Rice said:
I was more or less talking about people ignoring the Wii's success and expecting it to get nothing but spin-offs. :p

yeah sorry, I was actually kind of focusing more on the quote you quoted.

:lol

I missed the reminder saying that this gen isn't about games being the best they could, t's about them being on the system you like.

Some of us would like to actually play those games. Hey, FFXIII looks fucking awesome on PS3! I'll never get to play it, though. Awesome!

there's no reason at all for me to care about this game.

If you "are" the biggest fan of this franchise, you follow the game. It's a new iteration, the direct sequel in the franchise. You've only heard the name of the game and the console it's on thus far. Were you a fan you'd a)buy the console it's going to be released for or, at worst b) find out more about the game, wait for screenshots, gameplay descriptions and impressions, before making a choice.

Right now, you sound like a hater.

Gattsu25

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Some of us would like to actually play those games. Hey, FFXIII looks fucking awesome on PS3! I'll never get to play it, though. Awesome!
Want to play MH3. MH3 comes out on Wii? Get a Wii.

Same applies.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
SONIC, Wii WARE AND THIS ! WTF happened today ?!?!!!!
Wait...Sonic?

*goes off to check the rest of GAF*

Gattsu25 said:
Want to play MH3. MH3 comes out on Wii? Get a Wii.

Same applies.Wait...Sonic?

*goes off to check the rest of GAF*

Sonic officially is in Smash Bros !!!! And tehre is an incredible video too !!

Finally the FIRST BIG Third Party title. This game is definitely bigger then ever other Third party game for Wii. Just I hope that it's not the last too.

Valcrist

FlightOfHeaven said:

That is why you buy consoles though right? Because you like the games on it? Or am I missing something in your logic.

Anyways, I'm actually wondering how they're bring the controls over. They way I see it now, the nunchuk as movement...the d pad on the remote as the camera, the a and b and z for switching items? Dunno, to be honest, the button mapping could get pretty complex.

Salazar

It's a shame Peter Molyneux's interview saying that games have totally lost their sense of wonder* just got posted today. A day full of wtf. Cracking timing.

*He's bringing it back, obviously. Fable 2 will change your world, but he can't talk about it now.

StevieP said:
As far as I know, all of EA's online Wii games have their own online system and servers, which do not use friend codes. And the dev team is constantly boasting about how they've got 32-player online working (as well as controls equal to/better than MP3) so I find that quite impressive as well. If a dev wants to use Nintendo's servers for free (for online, which are provided by Nintendo to all third parties I believe) I think they have to use friend codes. If they want to set up their own servers for the game, like EA did, maybe you can do whatever the heck you want? I haven't read the dev docs for Nintendo WiFi so I wouldn't know. Bottom line is that if EA can throw some effort, so can Capcom.
Don't know how it works but I can confirm that EA games don't use FCs. You register a username for EA nation and I guess that's going to get brought over for every EA game. In-game you have a messenger and can add people with their EA nation handle. Fifa 08 incorporates the system and I think Madden 08 does as well (although I haven't played that).

yurinka said:
It remember the Big 5 of Capcom for the GameCube and the RE Code Veronica exclusive for the Dreamcast (or the Winning Eleven and Katamari exclusives for the X360). Also remember the Capcom 'multiplatform strategy'.

Looks like Capcom won't spend a huge amount of money in the PS3 version until it has a better HW sales. So they will continue with the psp versions al now they will port to the Wii using a improved version of the old PS2 engine (same used in PSP versions).

I readed the sharewatch new and the Capcom press release and the only one who says 'exclusive' is the Sharewatch guy. And they said they switched to Wii, but they didn't said the PS3 version is cancelled.

And Capcom also says in the press release: "We believe that by bringing the "Monster Hunter" series to multiple platforms, it will help the franchise reach an even greater number of users eager for its unique gameplay." soooo....
They pulled the entry for the PS3 MH from their website and added a Wii MH entry shortly after (or during?) the conference. Does that mean the series will stay on Wii? No. But as of now, people should just get used to the idea, get a Wii, ditch the series or stop video-gaming alltogether because Nintendo is destroying it anyways.

Gallagher

Banned
i hate nintendo... everytime you think something big is coming... nothing happens and if you dont care for a event...iwata is dropping the bomb...

Salazar said:
It's a shame Peter Molyneux's interview saying that games have totally lost their sense of wonder* just got posted today. A day full of wtf. Cracking timing.

*He's bringing it back, obviously. Fable 2 will change your world, but he can't talk about it now.

In that case, i'm sure Molyneux will be delighted with Super Mario Galaxy.

Eteric Rice

Linkzg said:
I still hope there is a Monster Hunter on PS3.

to me, this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=LeBpRiWGdWg) in real time online would be the greatest thing, granted it would need to be heavily changed, the idea of taking down a huge beast by teaming up and climbing over it with support, that would be awesome.

I don't think it's even possible due to latency. If it was, I'm sure MMOs would have been all over it by now.

Give internet connections a few more years. :)

Tenbatsu

Linkzg said:
I still hope there is a Monster Hunter on PS3.

to me, this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=LeBpRiWGdWg) in real time online would be the greatest thing, granted it would need to be heavily changed, the idea of taking down a huge beast by teaming up and climbing over it with support, that would be awesome.

You can do that to Lao Shan Long in the old series actually. But you dun climb on it, just jump down on its back from high platform tats all:lol

Ponn

Banned
Good for Wii. This is a popular title in Japan and was actually able to move PSP's so it should do great. If done right the controls could actually be quite fitting as well.

Redd

This is real third party support. Well done Iwata you're trying to cater to the Hardcore gamer unlike what many (including myself) thought you were just aiming for the casual and nongamer crowd.

allen1982

Banned
AAK said:
:lol Yikes, Sony... the ball is in your court. The only thing that can save you know is FFVIII remake.

at this rate watch Square announce FF7 remake on Wii next week, i will have a fucking heart attack if that happens

That is why you buy consoles though right? Because you like the games on it? Or am I missing something in your logic.

I can get one console a generation. This time, I might be able to get two.

I pick my console at the start of the generation, which is when I can get one. I have to pick. Nintendo consistently pumps out great multiplayer games, so I go with them. Their single player doesn't lack, either.

If FFXIII comes out on PS3 and pushes the limit for the video part of video gaming, great! But I won't ever get to play that game. However, if it gets canceled and ported to Wii, well, then I'm much happier. I'll actually get to play this game. Not because it was canceled for others, but because I can now enjoy the game.

That's all.

Explaining why some people may feel some joy here. Some of us may not have had access to this game previous to this announcement, and now we do. We're happy because we can play it, not because you can't.

Valcrist

from the mh gamefaqs board:
"http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8166447&postcount=2201

LMAO, Defeuser is a NeoGAF loser!

Up your NeoGAF. You represent everything that is wrong with gaming.

See you on Nerd War. (a website for those of you who dont know.)
"
:lol poor defuser =[

M3d10n

Ynos Yrros said:
It's not just the graphics really. It's the fall animations, the hurt animations, the ai, the attack animations on the wyverns. There will be basically no advancements, and they could really make this game much more fun and satisfying to play thanks to next-gen power.

LOL @ the idea that motherfucking Capcom would program/licence advanced dynamic animation technologies for MH3, when all their "HD gen" games still use the same 'ol canned mocapped animations.

And LOL @ bringing "animations" on every "next gen" talk. The only "next gen" game I see with actually advanced animation that wasn't done before is Crysis, and it ain't running on consoles, you know.

But I admit animations in 30fps games look a lot better with that sexy motion blur turned on. It's by far the most "next-gen" effect I've seen, moreso than vaseline-style normal-mapping.

kay

What does the (tri-) mean, is it anything? I don't follow the series and I don't think the others had a subtitle, like it might not be the only version. These Japanese publishers really like screwing with people's minds, mostly Namco and Capcom.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
M3d10n said:
LOL @ the idea that motherfucking Capcom would program/licence advanced dynamic animation technologies for MH3, when all their "HD gen" games still use the same 'ol canned mocapped animations.

And LOL @ bringing "animations" on every "next gen" talk. The only "next gen" game I see with actually advanced animation that wasn't done before is Crysis, and it ain't running on consoles, you know.

But I admit animations in 30fps games look a lot better with that sexy motion blur turned on. It's by far the most "next-gen" effect I've seen, moreso than vaseline-style normal-mapping.
Heavenly Sword and Uncharted have better animation IMHO

sp0rsk said:
We only know the name of the game. I'm not going to use that annoying phrase, but you are totally blowing this out of proportion.
?

It's not a graphics issue at all, though a MH with Lost Planet visuals would have been awesome, the visuals in the game have always been more about the art direction. So I don't care what it looks like but I already know exactly what it's going to play like. The games have always been very old school type skill based action games, that require tons of fast and direct input and quick reflexes to complete whatever quest you're on. The fun of the game is derived from the skill based play being extended over hundreds and hundreds of hours grinding to get better gear, that's thousands of quests with each quest requiring hundreds of individual button inputs to string combos together and perform defensive/evasive actions.

It's just one of those things, that even I thought of when I first got the Wii, man it'd be fun swinging the weapons around to do attacks, but the whole thing breaks apart when you really visualize how it would play out. There's only two possible scenarios, it's either going to be Monster Hunter with waggle and be terrible, or it's going to 'not MH' (lock on, completely different damage system, short quests and no grinding in order to make physically playing it not be a complete chore) in which case it's not Monster Hunter so I don't care.

As far as the blowing things out of proportion, what do you expect? The complete obscurity of this series does make my lone rantings seem bitchy but this is like the next and only installment of Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Street Fighter or Soul Calibur being announced as a waggle fest. People would be pissed and rightly so.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
FlightOfHeaven said:
I can get one console a generation. This time, I might be able to get two.

I pick my console at the start of the generation, which is when I can get one. I have to pick. Nintendo consistently pumps out great multiplayer games, so I go with them. Their single player doesn't lack, either.

If FFXIII comes out on PS3 and pushes the limit for the video part of video gaming, great! But I won't ever get to play that game. However, if it gets canceled and ported to Wii, well, then I'm much happier. I'll actually get to play this game. Not because it was canceled for others, but because I can now enjoy the game.

That's all.

Explaining why some people may feel some joy here. Some of us may not have had access to this game previous to this announcement, and now we do. We're happy because we can play it, not because you can't.
But why would I want Square to backtrack and build a downgraded game? If you dont want advancement then buy a PS2 and play FF12..

THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE FEARED. Money being taken away from making an exceptional experience to a cheapened one for a quick buck. This is the reality of the New Gen.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
MickeyKnox said:
?

It's not a graphics issue at all, though a MH with Lost Planet visuals would have been awesome, the visuals in the game have always been more about the art direction. So I don't care what it looks like but I already know exactly what it's going to play like. The games have always been very old school type skill based action games, that require tons of fast and direct input and quick reflexes to complete whatever quest you're on. The fun of the game is derived from the skill based play being extended over hundreds and hundreds of hours grinding to get better gear, that's thousands of quests with each quest requiring hundreds of individual button inputs to string combos together and perform defensive/evasive actions.

It's just one of those things, that even I thought of when I first got the Wii, man it'd be fun swinging the weapons around to do attacks, but the whole thing breaks apart when you really visualize how it would play out. There's only two possible scenarios, it's either going to be Monster Hunter with waggle and be terrible, or it's going to 'not MH' (lock on, completely different damage system, short quests and no grinding in order to make physically playing it not be a complete chore) in which case it's not Monster Hunter so I don't care.

As far as the blowing things out of proportion, what do you expect? The complete obscurity of this series does make my lone rantings seem bitchy but this is like the next and only installment of Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Street Fighter or Soul Calibur being announced as a waggle fest. People would be pissed and rightly so.

But we don't know how it controls at all.

Gwanatu T

AAK said:
Monster Hunter > Final Fantasy in Japan confirmed.

The Japanese are so much smarter than anyone else
there's no sarcasm here, seriously

PistolGrip said:
:( No Next Gen Monster Hunter = Capcom Fail!

NEW gen! NEW gen!

Out of all the awesome Nintendo announcements today this is by FAR the best. Kudos to Nintendo for this one.

I'm pretty sure the proper response for real fans of Monster Hunter, regardless of the platform it has been announced for, is "Yay!"

I've never played it, so I'm simply going to say, "kumquat".

StevieP

Banned
PistolGrip said:
But why would I want Square to backtrack and build a downgraded game? If you dont want advancement then buy a PS2 and play FF12..

THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE FEARED. Money being taken away from making an exceptional eperience to a cheapened one for a quick buck. This is the reality of the New Gen.

So the Wii can't have exceptional experiences. Did you skip out on all of those exceptional experiences on the PS2 last gen? Or were those all cheapened experiences for quick bucks too? God, advancement is such a stupidly subjective term, and can be applied to many things. Your hyperbole isn't helping the situation.

Ulairi

Banned
PistolGrip said:

THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE FEARED. Money being taken away from making an exceptional experience to a cheapened one for a quick buck. This is the reality of the New Gen.

Gaming is serious business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom