• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World 2011 8-10 Jan [Update: neoGAF geekin' out to quality game music]

swerve

Amir0x said:
In gaming, production values seem to be about the combined effort that goes into making a game - which includes, in large part, budget.

Yes, it's the same as Production Values in anything. You can have tremendously high production values on your low-budget project ( World of Goo, Canabalt, Muramasa ) or have tremendously poor production values on your fairly expensive project ( Red Steel ).

It usually comes down to the ethos, determination, talent and enthusiasm of the team.

Now, as for Wii Sports, I personally never got much further than 10 hours, including all family visits, because I had kororinpa :) but I take issue with people calling it cheap, shoddy, or a tech-demo, because it is a fine example of very well made software with a specific scope and purpose - to entertain groups of people having fun with a silly toy.

The Nintendo Channel stats just show that a lot of other people got a lot more enjoyment out of it than we did, so it's a job well done.

Amir0x

Banned
swerve said:
Yes, it's the same as Production Values in anything. You can have tremendously high production values on your low-budget project ( World of Goo, Canabalt, Muramasa ) or have tremendously poor production values on your fairly expensive project ( Red Steel ).

It usually comes down to the ethos, determination, talent and enthusiasm of the team.

Now, as for Wii Sports, I personally never got much further than 10 hours, including all family visits, because I had kororinpa :) but I take issue with people calling it cheap, shoddy, or a tech-demo, because it is a fine example of very well made software with a specific scope and purpose - to entertain groups of people having fun with a silly toy.

All games are meant to entertain people with silly toys. I mean, so that doesn't mean much. I think because wiimote was so new, and Wii Sports was the game Nintendo chose to market and highlight the specific capabilities, it was a success in terms of goal, but I don't think it was a stand out game whatsoever and I certainly would not say it had high production values.

It was very very light on content, very flawed in gameplay, and all the sports except Bowling were lacking in HUGE areas pivotal to their sports. They were a series of five content-and-gameplay-deprived sports mini-games, essentially. I love sports, so Wii Sports should be right up my alley. But because of how flaky it was, i could not endorse it.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
I'd have to see the exchange rate at launch, but I remember specifically having a debate with various people that the Japanese Wii launched at $50 cheaper, minus a game.

I guess that's not true anymore, though

It was about ¥120 to $1 back in the day... now it's ¥83. :lol

So it would have been $208 for a Wii. But the Yen was so weak back then too, so it's all cyclical. But generally, for a person living in Japan, ¥25000 probably buys as much as $250 does for someone in the U.S. So I always thought the Wii was a better deal in the U.S. For those who have the option to choose (like people in Asia outside Japan for example), then back then the Japanese system may have been the better option if they really didn't want Wii Sports.

Gravijah

Chris1964 said:
The leaked GameStop price almost confirms the 250$/250€ price.

I'd be happy as hell if it were 249.99, but I'm preparing myself for the worst.

Wait, I wouldn't be happy. It would be a $250 handheld instead of a $300 handheld. That's still insane!

Amir0x

Banned
cvxfreak said:
It was about ¥120 to $1 back in the day... now it's ¥83. :lol

So it would have been $208 for a Wii. But the Yen was so weak back then too, so it's all cyclical. But generally, for a person living in Japan, ¥25000 probably buys as much as $250 does for someone in the U.S. So I always thought the Wii was a better deal in the U.S. For those who have the option to choose (like people in Asia outside Japan for example), then back then the Japanese system may have been the better option if they really didn't want Wii Sports.
Damn tricky exchange rates. I thought I was going crazy, but yeah AT LAUNCH the Japanese Wii was a better deal to me. I prefer to choose what games go with my system, so if a system gets priced more expensively but the excuse is "well it comes with a game" it generally annoys me. EVEN in the case where I actually want the game, I'm still annoyed on principle.

I guess though strategically I understand why Nintendo did it. I suppose if I was them as a business I might have done the same thing. But, I didn't like it as a gamer.

SIDE POINT: However, perhaps packing it in with Wii Sports was a bad idea overall in terms of third parties. One, it gave consumers a specific idea of the type of game that wii is good at. And two, it overshadowed virtually everything else in terms of marketing and "face time" in the media. I think the type of consumer that came to buy the system and, inevitably, the games... also impacted the fact that we're now seeing a problem with third parties and hardcore titles on Wii.

AniHawk

If you bought a Wii in 2006 in Japan at 25000 yen, if the exchange rates were the same, it would have cost $229.94 in today's money. In 2006 money, that would be about $211.86.

Proven

Gravijah said:

Wait, I wouldn't be happy. It would be a $250 handheld instead of a $300 handheld. That's still insane!

This is still my opinion.

Amir0x

Banned
Gravijah said:

At same point, handhelds will have to go up in price like everything else. Inflation.

$250 might still be on the high end to you, though. Maybe you think $199 is the hot price.

But to me, considering what 3DS does (particularly if it has good online infrastructure this time versus other Nintendo platforms), I'll be happy with $250.

Amir0x said:
I love sports, so Wii Sports should be right up my alley. But because of how flaky it was, i could not endorse it.

You denounced it well before you played it though.

You called it a "tech demo" before playing one minute of the game.

Without the game, I don't know how the system would have sold.

Amir0x

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
You denounced it well before you played it though.

You called it a "tech demo" before playing one minute of the game.

Without the game, I don't know how the system would have sold.

False. I played the game before I denounced it.

And besides, having a educated stance on a title has never before prevented me from changing my opinion if I get my hands on it and it proves to be wrong. I've done in on various occasions, and can list several games this has happened for your pleasure.

Amir0x said:
False. I played the game before I denounced it.

Not how I remember AT ALL but I don't reall care, I just am looking forward to what will be played tonight.

I don't really care that Animal Crossing won't be playable, it's not really urgent that we get to see hands-on of a likely predictable gameplay experience.

Looking forward to Resident Evil and Super Street Fighter.

perfectchaos007 said:
Is there going to be a press conference or anything? media briefing?

Stage events for certain games (MGS, KI, RE, Nintendogs).
Other than that, it's just a public event to show off the device.

swerve

Amir0x said:
lacking in HUGE areas pivotal to their sports.

Many brilliant games lack detail or complexity where their real-life equivalent would have a great deal.

It's a perfectly reasonable design decision for them to have taken considering the goals and target market. To increase the complexity would have been to lessen the product in many (potential) players' eyes.

In principle, I agree with you. I like games with gamey-ness to them. But your hardline stance on 'it's not for me, so it's not good' is a little disappointing.

Amir0x said:
I don't think it was a stand out game whatsoever and I certainly would not say it had high production values.

Up until a few posts ago you didn't seem to know what production values were, so I think we just have to disagree on this.

Gravijah

Amir0x said:
At same point, handhelds will have to go up in price like everything else. Inflation.

$250 might still be on the high end to you, though. Maybe you think $199 is the hot price.

But to me, considering what 3DS does (particularly if it has good online infrastructure this time versus other Nintendo platforms), I'll be happy with $250.

I'll live, whatever the price is. Just like with the DS though, I'll be sticking with my launch model instead of upgrading to a lite/i/ixl.

AniHawk

AceBandage said:
Is there going to be a press conference or anything? media briefing?

Ron Paul is supposed to be making an opening statement. Of course in Japan they call him Annual Gift Man.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
do it for my pleasure

Well, just one example, I know I was shitting the fuck out of Saint's Row for example before it came out. GTA-gansta-wannabe tripe. Then I played it and the gameplay was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it a lot. I said so. This happens from time to time.

It's obviously rare for me to change my view on something, because I always come to my opinions in an educated way. I read up on games, maybe play a demo, learn about gameplay systems and such. And because I'm intimately familiar with my tastes, it's rare I'm so completely wrong that I end up in a different conclusion upon release.

MnZdX.jpg

1-D_FTW

Amir0x said:

Huh? Other than oil and food, everything else is in the toilet. And even when standard of living wasn't going downward, electronics have always historically bucked the trend of inflation. More for less as the years went by.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Well, just one example, I know I was shitting the fuck out of Saint's Row for example before it came out. GTA-gansta-wannabe tripe. Then I played it and the gameplay was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it a lot. I said so. This happens from time to time.

It's obviously rare for me to change my view on something, because I always come to my opinions in an educated way. I read up on games, maybe play a demo, learn about gameplay systems and such. And because I'm intimately familiar with my tastes, it's rare I'm so completely wrong that I end up in a different conclusion upon release.

thanks. that'll hold me for a while.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
perfectchaos007 said:
Just looked at currencies and found out that the USD is now worth less than a Canadian dollar again. crap. A $250 3DS would be a miracle
The difference is Iwata has said Nintendo has overpriced Nintendo in Japan because of expected high demand not high cost.

Sipowicz said:
is anyone actually expecting new stuff at this event?

Again, the stage events will give us new stuff.
We'll also get first footage of a lot of games (like Cubic Ninja and Tales of the Abyss).

I remember a Japanese blog had vids at the last public event, they showed ridge racer and zelda, here's hoping we get lots and lots and lots of vids tonight :D :D

about a half hour left D:

Amir0x said:
It undoubtedly is expensive. A gaming-only handheld device at $300 would be expensive to even the most casual of consumers. Hell, Wii launched at $250 and came with a game. That is not to say it won't still sell, just that it's the very high end - particularly for a device that will sell also a large amount to young kids. Parents will have to think very hard about it.

I think if it does come out at $300, it's going to take much longer to get going to DS levels anyway. This is not a statement that they won't find the device appealing and WORTH $300... but in this economy, you might think something is worth it but not think you can afford it.

Well, the question isn't whether $300 is expensive - it unquestionably is. The question, from Nintendo's perspective, is whether it's too expensive for the masses.

Considering that it's the successor to the most successful system of all time in multiple territories, and that it's the first-ever truly mass-market entertainment device to employ an autostereoscopic 3D screen, I have no doubt myself that 3DS would fly off the shelves through the holidays, even at $300. I do agree that it's unlikely that $300 will be a viable price through 2012, let alone after that, so whether it makes sense for 2011 may depend on whether Nintendo is willing to defy its recent history and cut hardware prices much earlier than it did for DS or Wii.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I thought there was another thread that had times and links to blogs in the OP?

When is this? And where will real-time updates be posted?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Cocopjojo said:
I thought there was another thread that had times and links to blogs in the OP?

When is this? And where will real-time updates be posted?

Clipper said:
I made this up from what I think the times are according to the info from Andria Sang. Times and dates for Australia, UK and US are shown. I took into account that Andria Sang seemed to misread the times for the third day from the source image they listed.

times.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417979

Fantastical

Death Prophet
AniHawk said:
you know, because of the virtual handheld, they could easily make mother trilogy downloadable on the 3DS.
Don't play with my heart.
I never played the other Mother games, but I played Mother 3 and loved it!

Also, nice avatar change! :D

Top Bottom