• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendolife: Project CARS for Wii U cancelled

impact

Banned
Dave is right. If you like racing sims, you definitely own something other than a Wii U. This isn't a huge loss for anyone.

Momentary

Banned
Again, you're not answering my question. They announced the Wii U version of this game long before the Wii U system launched. During that time, could people pledge money to the project?

If funding was completely closed before a Wii U version was ever announced, the cancellation isn't a huge deal. If the funding period was still open when the Wii U SKU was unveiled, then it is a problem, because they used the Wii U to drum up additional interest in funding their project.

Unless they were doing stuff behind the scenes, I don't remember them advertising the Wii U version until after funding was stopped on December of 2012.

I really feel bad for this guy.

fvh8.jpg

Made a custom rig for the game awhile ago.

I think this dev really used the WiiU as extra buzz
a lot of Wii U fans fell for the hype on this when the team probably knew pretty early after WiiU launch this game would never run on the platform

I have a PS4 and DriveClub is good enough I do not want to reward these guys for the long ass Wii U tease

phanphare

Banned
It's not dismissive, it's true. There has never been a sim racer on a Nintendo console and even if it had started with this one, it would have been a fucking awful game (no analogue triggers, no steering wheel on the market, 720p15-20 at best). People might be getting upset that they're getting one less game, but sim fans already have another machine to get their fix by necessity.

this is all true which is why it's even more puzzling that the developers chose to handle things the way they did

if they had cancelled the Wii U version with the PS360 version I doubt many would have cared but they wanted to hype it up and bang the "Wii U is next gen!" gong for some exposure and now they've got egg in their face for it.

Peff

Not really, taking the timing into account.

Release date got moved, 8th gen started, and the wii u bombed its ass off between then and now. Target specs changed from 7th gen base to an 8th gen base, and it put the pc guys into the same situation 7th gen devs had with the wii--except only this timethe wii u doesnt have a 100 million+ userbase to hedge their bet on.

It put them into a situation where theyd either have to butcher the game, use the wii u as target (lol), or spend more resources than it was worth it to downport it.

Apparently that didn't stop them from continuing to flaunter the Wii U version.

This is two full generations now of Nintendo getting shoddy third-party support due (in part) to them intentionally choosing to be a generation behind everyone else. If Nintendo doesn't get it by now that being this far behind hurts third-party support, hurts the potential audience they could attract, and hurts the long-term success of their consoles then I don't know what more needs to be said. They have a chance to reverse the trend with NX so there's that. NX comes out three years after the Xbone and PS4 launched; there's absolutely no reason for it to be behind them technologically.

Parshias7

Not really, taking the timing into account.

Release date got moved, 8th gen started, and the wii u bombed its ass off between then and now. Target specs changed from 7th gen base to an 8th gen base, and it put the pc guys into the same situation 7th gen devs had with the wii--except only this timethe wii u doesnt have a 100 million+ userbase to hedge their bet on.

This might make sense if they had dropped support right after the Wii U flopped, but they didn't. They continued to work on the Wii U version for years even knowing what the situation with the platform was. Or maybe these guys just don't get out much, and haven't looked at anything on the internet since they announced the game?

Then again, since they thought NX was going to be at E3 this year, maybe they really do live under a rock. They probably just didn't know that the Wii U had been bombing since its launch. Honest mistake, really.

They stopped taking money on December of 2012.

Just as I suspected. They used Wii U's "new console smell" to drum up additional interest and funding in the project. They should have probably known a bit more about the platform they were developing for instead of selling snake oil. The fact they they continued to promote the Wii U version for the past two years is the real issue I have though.

Unless they were doing stuff behind the scenes, I don't remember them advertising the Wii U version until after funding was stopped on December of 2012.

They definitely did. The Wii U SKU was announced quite awhile before the system launched. I believe it was early 2012.

plufim

It's not dismissive, it's true. There has never been a sim racer on a Nintendo console and even if it had started with this one, it would have been a fucking awful game (no analogue triggers, no steering wheel on the market, 720p15-20 at best). People might be getting upset that they're getting one less game, but sim fans already have another machine to get their fix by necessity.

And that is totally fine, but when someone says "no-one cares" SURROUNDED by people who care, well... it's just uncool.

Look, I don't give two shits about this game. But I despise when the customer is played for a fool, and here it is, happening again. And this time, sadly from a much smaller developer.

But I think they pissed away oodles more goodwill already talking about a goddam sequel.

Pandy

Would the fact that the game was never on Kickstarter change your mind?
I should have been clearer, and I'll go back and edit, but no.

Any crowd funding project that lets down backers, either by mistake or design, reflects badly on the rest, and I'm confident that the next time we have a major Kickstarter, or whatever, with specific platforms announced, we'll see people raise Project Cars WiiU, 360 and PS3 used as an example of why people shouldn't fund it.
(IIRC, didn't the PCars community vote on which versions to keep, dropping the 360 and PS3, but keeping the WiiU version?)

Saying it was always a 'maybe' is just BS, they really should just be honest about things.... and have been honest about it way sooner instead of dragging people for so long, then it wouldn't be as bad IMO.

But to try and rewrite things and weasel excuses out of it just looks worse than being honest.

Whats even dumber is they seem to think mentioning a NX version over and over (despite having no idea even what NX is lol) now is a good idea and some sort of situation diffuser, like oh ya actually no Wii U version lol, but its ok hey maybe this NX thing???? YA NX THATS IT, everyone look there. NX isn't out yet though so lets just wait and see some more ok?!

No thanks. :|

I can already see the headlines in 2 years, NX version of Project Cars cancelled, it just doesn't make sense to release it now, we never promised anything to be fair it was always a maybe, development instead being focused towards sequels for other consoles.

KHlover

Banned
That's the bit that never made sense to me. Who cares about sim racers and only owns a Nintendo machine? Absolutely nobody.

I guess they wanted to release on WiiU since there is literally no competition and take whatever they can get, but overestimated the sales of the WiiU and underestimated the capability how much trouble the specs of the console would turn out to be. Why else would they cancel the Last-Gen versions but keep WiiU in development?

phanphare

Banned
And that is totally fine, but when someone says "no-one cares" SURROUNDED by people who care, well... it's just uncool.

Look, I don't give two shits about this game. But I despise when the customer is played for a fool, and here it is, happening again. And this time, sadly from a much smaller developer.

But I think they pissed away oodles more goodwill already talking about a goddam sequel.

didn't they want funding for the sequel before the first game was even out?

Momentary

Banned
I was wrong. Looks like the Wii U was tossed around on April 2012. Could have sword that it wasn't plastered on logos until after that time. Guess my old age is getting to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
At this point, I don't think anyone really wants that. It doesn't change the fact that this game was originally being developed with Wii U as a primary focus and that some people invested their own money in the project because of this.

I think my biggest issue is the fact that the developer is flat-out lying about Wii U always being a "maybe". Yeah, it's possible that was the case internally. But that was not the case publicly and it's pretty sad that they're resorting to this to try and save face. Just be honest, particularly with the people who gave you their money in good faith.
I can't disagree with you there. It's clear that some people really DID care about this and it sucks that they disappointed people in this manner.

From the outside, it seems silly to have continued promising a Wii U version when the game was beginning to exceed the scope of what could realistically be achieved. It's been obvious for a while now that the game they were making was not going to be viable on Wii U without a major loss in quality - so why keep promising it to people? They should have been up front.

Sify64

I should have been clearer, and I'll go back and edit, but no.

Any crowd funding project that lets down backers, either by mistake or design, reflects badly on the rest, and I'm confident that the next time we have a major Kickstarter, or whatever, with specific platforms announced, we'll see people raise Project Cars WiiU, 360 and PS3 used as an example of why people shouldn't fund it.
(IIRC, didn't the PCars community vote on which versions to keep, dropping the 360 and PS3, but keeping the WiiU version?)

I didn't hear about that vote. Although, there was a community survey where people could vote on which platform they were going to play Project cars on and the Wii U was first, if I remember correctly. The results are kinda funny in retrospect.

I was wrong. Looks like the Wii U was tossed around on April 2012. Could have sword that it wasn't plastered on logos until after that time. Guess my old age is getting to me.

Yeah, that's my whole issue with this. If the Wii U game had been announced after funding had stopped, its cancellation wouldn't be a big deal. The fact that they used Wii U as a way to get support and money from Nintendo fans is the problem I have.

pa22word

Wii U version dev' fabricated hype was not to take our money, it was to take our clicks/buzz.

Devs talk about projects that are currently in development, news at 11

It's clear that they only fully cancelled it relatively recently, which means at that point in time they looked at how much work was left to do in getting it running on the wii u, looked at the userbase, and decided it just wasnt worth wasting resources on anymore.

This is like getting pissed at developers who cancelled games for the dreamcast once sega pulled the plug, which is effectively what nintendo did when they let everyone know theyll be showing new hardware next year.

Ridley327

With all the evidence in this thread, this is going to be really messy from a PR perspective. The backpedaling definitely won't be helping SMS much.

Aroll

Bull. The original pitch was for Wii U and PC (plus 360 and PS3). Then resources moved from last gen to current gen with Wii U still included. They said multiple times that the Wii U version was progressing well and looked great. SMS lied.

I'm not big into drivings sims so I wasn't planning to buy this, but it's scummy to say that it was always a "maybe" when what they were saying to the public didn't make it look like that was the case at all.

The original pitch was PC - wasn't it stretch goals to get to Wii U and 360/PS3?

Either way facts are this:

1. They did say it was coming to Wii U. Several times over.
2. They hyped the Wii U release, talking about pushing the console to the "max"
3. They repeatedly stated the Wii U version was coming along well
4. They stated it was coming to Wii U (not a maybe, that it was) while the Kickstarter campaign was still live. That means that yes, some backed it FOR a version of the game they claimed they were making.

Then, today, we now know this:

1. They weren't even working on the Wii U version of the game while they talked about it.
2. They tried to run it on the console recently, and it didn't run well.
3. It was never built on the Wii U platform like NFS was, meaning it was unrealistic to promise the version and talk about it at all the entire time.
4. They are back tredding, saying it was always a maybe (which is BS), and that it won't happen.

Is the market for Wii U sales small? Yes. It was small then too. Does that change the fact they lied through their teeth, got extra funding from Wii U supporters, and now won't deliver on their own promises? No.

Lesson here: Only support a gamer on kickstarter if it's initial promised platform is what you want the game on. Otherwise, wait for release and buy it then.

Halabane

Reminder that kickstarter is not a preorder. Its a wish ordering tool. Sometimes they will and exceed your expectations other times not so much. Sometimes they end up in court, fun getting updates about court appearances (D&D documentary). Still these guys pushed things a bit much with some promises late in the game.

Oh Shemue you are going to be fun to watch over the next few years.

SmokyDave

I guess all I can say is that if you genuinely care about sim racers and only own a Wii U, use the money you'd have spent on this game and put it towards a 360 with Forza, or a PS3 with GT. You'll get access to one great sim immediately, with a shit load more available at rock bottom prices.

plufim

This is like getting pissed at developers who cancelled games for the dreamcast once sega pulled the plug, which is effectively what nintendo did when they let everyone know theyll be showing new hardware next year.

This is nothing like that, and you might want to look into why you're so damned determined to take the stance that people should not be upset.

Again - people can be upset about this, it is clearly obvious they allowed talk of this version to continue long after they'd given up. Now is it arguable people shouldn't be surprised? Sure. But they are entitled to be pissed off when they have been decieved.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This game was funded as a PC game. Nothing else was guaranteed

they hyped the Wii U version very hard, especially before even mentioning PS360 versions, they even posted a "control scheme" slide and a "gamepad features" on their website.

don't defend them because it's the Wii U, really. next time it could happen to another console.

plufim

I guess all I can say is that if you genuinely care about sim racers and only own a Wii U, use the money you'd have spent on this game and put it towards a 360 with Forza, or a PS3 with GT. You'll get access to one great sim immediately, with a shit load more available at rock bottom prices.

It's... it's really not my point? This could be a thread about a match 3 baking simulator. The game is completely irrelevant to what I'm talking about. I'm only annoyed because the consumer was being dicked around again. We all deserve better than this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Waiting for an official announcement from Nintendo on new hardware? Perhaps that is coming sooner than we think?

NotLiquid

Was to be expected and not too big of a loss considering this game's market on the U was already a minority. The promise should never have been made in the first place though, that's the kind of thing that might end up setting a worrying precedent in any other situation and for a crowdfunded project it can easily end up being a shitty thing to do.

mclem

The real culprit here, I feel, is increasing the target specs during development. As a general games programming practice, you should be really wary of that; From the financial side, your publisher needs to be aware you're targetting a reduced audience for their investment; from a development side, you have to reappraise aspects of the project in line with the new scope. That's not always an invalid plan, but it's a risky one - and one I would strongly recommend any developer to be very careful about.

When you mix crowdfunding into that fray, so publisher investment gets replaced by a myriad of individual funders, you're then having to play off which proportion of your investors you're going to cater to and work out what you're going to do for those who you don't.

Out of interest, what take was there from the funders who wanted 360 or PS3 versions - or, for that matter, a PC version that would run on a system of similar power to those two?

ZeroX03

Banned
http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/WMD_Overview_160212.pdf

This is the original overview pitch pdf for their crowdfunding portal announcing Project CARS as the first project back in 2012. Check out pages 16, 19, 28, and 36. Especially page 28. :p

This is the second news that was ever posted on their website, beginning of 2014: http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/which-platform-are-you-getting-project-cars-on

Together with the following poll:

Which platform are you going to get Project CARS on?
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Windows
Wii U
Steam OS

Results: 28,69 Percent for Wii U, 23,61 Percent Steam OS, 23,07 Percent Windows, 18,21 Percent PlayStation 4 and 6,42 Percent Xbox One.

Thank you so much for this.

I have no idea why everyone is so confused about this. It should be an outright shitstorm. Maybe Bell wrote somewhere in an FAQ or on Twitter, far away for the public eye, that the port for Wii U is very shaky and not promised. The marketing of this company, however, openly promoted this and well - they lied. Im sure somewhere is a source that they use as a loophole, but i just can't see this is fair and right.

This is pretty cut and dry to me. Cut the "but you should be playing this on a PC/Next Gen" shit, it doesn't matter, they were seriously marketing this toward Wii U owners.

Scoops

Banned
http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/WMD_Overview_160212.pdf

This is the original overview pitch pdf for their crowdfunding portal announcing Project CARS as the first project back in 2012. Check out pages 16, 19, 28, and 36. Especially page 28. :p

This is the second news that was ever posted on their website, beginning of 2014: http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/which-platform-are-you-getting-project-cars-on

Together with the following poll:

Which platform are you going to get Project CARS on?
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Windows
Wii U
Steam OS

Results: 28,69 Percent for Wii U, 23,61 Percent Steam OS, 23,07 Percent Windows, 18,21 Percent PlayStation 4 and 6,42 Percent Xbox One.

Thank you so much for this.

I have no idea why everyone is so confused about this. It should be an outright shitstorm. Maybe Bell wrote somewhere in an FAQ or on Twitter, far away for the public eye, that the port for Wii U is very shaky and not promised. The marketing of this company, however, openly promoted this and well - they lied. Im sure somewhere is a source that they use as a loophole, but i just can't see this is fair and right.

Pretty damning.

Never buying one of their games now and they should be offering refunds to those who helped fund their game.

Pandy

I didn't hear about that vote. Although, there was a community survey where people could vote on which platform they were going to play Project cars on and the Wii U was first, if I remember correctly. The results are kinda funny in retrospect.
I think I'm mis-remembering the vote you're talking about as being the reason the 360/PS3 versions were dropped, but it seems they were dropped prior.

plufim

Doesn't the "this type of game wouldn't sell on the WiiU" argument completely ignore the fact that the current best selling game on the system is an online team-based third person shooter? A genre that has been non-existent on Nintendo systems until this point?

Top Bottom