• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendolife: Project CARS for Wii U cancelled

Irvana

Developers said 2 months ago a Wii U version was close to be impossible : Project CARS ran around 11 or 17 fps only with low settings.

plufim

Yeah, it's pretty damning. They were promising a WiiU version.

They were also releasing "WiiU" screenshots almost weekly up until a year ago.

DevilFox

Not surprised. Good call as far as I can tell, it wasn't worth the time nor the money, the game would've probably run and sold bad. I'm sorry for the backers, though.

_machine

This. Devs just aren't willing to put in the effort imo. Nfs on wiiu runs and looks great so I know it can be done. Glad I didn't back this one.
It was one of SMS's staff members that handled the renderer porting of NFS:MW. THe problem is that the tire physics and drawing (sending draw calls) is very heavy in pCARS, and it's something that the Wii U handles very poorly.

phanphare

Banned
So do you guys really want a stripped down, low performance version of the game then? That's what it would have to be.

that's on the developers for promising a Wii U version that would not be stripped down, which they specifically did when they cancelled the PS360 versions and kept the Wii U version going.

Crub

This game targeted such an incredibly niche audience. Driving game enthusiasts who somehow exclusively play games on Wii U?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
At leas the Wii U has BC.
pTRU1-9686822dt.jpg

Momentary

Banned
When Project CARS was first launched through WMD, Wii U didn't even exist. What the hell are people blabbering about. I guess it's the same people who think this was a Kickstarted game.

plufim

Anyone mad at this hasnt been paying attention to the latest wii u sales numbers.

There's no market for the game on the system, and downporting it now would be a massive waste of resources. Nintendo fans just need to take the l amd move on at this point. The system bombed, and the project cars guys shifted gears to meet where the market was.

It doesn't matter how hard it bombed - they took people's money when the WiiU version was still being promised.

But you say they shouldn't be mad? Jesus. Shouldn't be surprised, sure I guess, but not mad? Come the fuck on.

I wonder what the game was, technically, when they were boasting about a Wii U version. It should be clear that the final product was never going to work well on Wii U (or PS3 and 360). It feels like they would have had to make a massively scaled back version of the game to hit last gen targets.

That said, I would like to have seen the work they were doing at least. It sounds like it was at least up and running (slowly) on Wii U and I want to see what it looks like.
Their original scale and ambition were probably a bit smaller, but it has expanded throughout development. After the announcement of the NX, I guess it was no surprise that they decided to wait for that system instead. Still a bit disappointing, though.

duckroll

They wanted to bring Project Cars to Xbox 360/PS3/Wii U at the beginning, but they never promised that supporters would get one of those versions. AFAIR the crowdsourcing period was only to get access to the PC beta versions. People forget that Project Cars was a thing before that whole Kickstarter thing happened: It was pretty different from what is crowdsourcing now.

When a Kickstarter today tries to get individual fans to pay as much money as possible for a game, Project Cars was supposed to be more of an investment where supporters would actually get a share of the profit if the game is successful. The developers even said that the higher tiers are supposed to target small and large businesses.

I think it's fair to say that the crowdfunding portal works differently from Kickstarter, but it is also fair to say that the way it was originally presented as a pitch, it was never a "maybe" as far as the target platforms were concerned. They were definitely looking to leverage the support of fans on the console platforms, especially the WiiU, to build up interest and excitement on the project. They should be more candid about that rather than backtracking to "WiiU was always just a maybe, not something we promised".

Not sure if this is old news, but, surely a bummer for Wii U fans. Would like to know what took them so long to make the call.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/exclusive_project_cars_simply_too_much_for_wii_u_developer_now_waiting_on_new_nintendo_hardware

As of now pCARS is simply too much for the Wii U.

Oh, really?

Is not like the target specs of the console changed after all this time, they knew what they were aiming for and they still kept the lie until now.

WarMacheen

Out of interest, now the game's been out a while, what kind of return are backers getting/going to get on their investment?

playing the game?

I think it's fair to say that the crowdfunding portal works differently from Kickstarter, but it is also fair to say that the way it was originally presented as a pitch, it was never a "maybe" as far as the target platforms were concerned. They were definitely looking to leverage the support of fans on the console platforms, especially the WiiU, to build up interest and excitement on the project. They should be more candid about that rather than backtracking to "WiiU was always just a maybe, not something we promised".

They should have said "Maybe" in the original pitch...as it stands it looks like a certainty going by that pdf.

When Project CARS was first launched through WMD, Wii U didn't even exist. What the hell are people blabbering about. I guess it's the same people who think this was a Kickstarted game.

Was the game completely funded before the devs started talking about a Wii U version? I'm genuinely curious. If it was, then this cancellation isn't as big of a deal as I thought. If the promise of Wii U version was used to help with funding though, then it doesn't matter if it started as a Wii U game or not. They used that platform to generate interest and financial backing from people.

thefro

They should offer the following options:
- Full refunds for anyone who wanted the Wii U version
- Free code for a PC/XB1/PS4 version of the game + future code for theoretical future NX version of the game

And let's not forget that back in April, they reconfirmed that it was still coming to Wii U, and releasing later this year. Then, just weeks later, they said it was probably canned, and they were waiting for E3 to see about new hardware (which was silly because Nintendo long confirmed that NX wouldn't be at E3).

There are games that it's a bummer don't make it too Wii U (mostly cross gen where you know it's not a specs issue). This wasn't one of them. It would have sold/looked like crap. But shame on Slightly Mad for how they handled it (and didn't even announce the cancel on their own until prompted).

plufim

Was the game completely funded before the devs started talking about a Wii U version? I'm genuinely curious. If it was, then this cancellation isn't as big of a deal as I thought.

Well not just that - were they still accepting funding during that period? Because as I understood it, it was an open-ended funding model.

SmokyDave

This game targeted such an incredibly niche audience. Driving game enthusiasts who somehow exclusively play games on Wii U?
That's the bit that never made sense to me. Who cares about sim racers and only owns a Nintendo machine? Absolutely nobody.

FelipeMGM

http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/WMD_Overview_160212.pdf

This is the original overview pitch pdf for their crowdfunding portal announcing Project CARS as the first project back in 2012. Check out pages 16, 19, 28, and 36. Especially page 28. :p

This is the second news that was ever posted on their website, beginning of 2014: http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/which-platform-are-you-getting-project-cars-on

Together with the following poll:

Which platform are you going to get Project CARS on?
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Windows
Wii U
Steam OS

Results: 28,69 Percernt for Wii U, 23,61 Percent Steam OS, 23,07 Percent Windows, 18,21 Percent PlayStation 4 and 6,42 Percent Xbox One.

Thank you so much for this.

I have no idea why everyone is so confused about this. It should be an outright shitstorm. Maybe Bell wrote somewhere in an FAQ or on Twitter, far away for the public eye, that the port for Wii U is very shaky and not promised. The marketing of this company, however, openly promoted this and well - they lied. Im sure anywhere is a source that they use as a loophole, but i just can't see this is fair and right.

Ok, now I believe a 100% that this dev had a lot of promises for a Wii U version, and were selling as an important platform.

openrob

It was developed with Wii U, 360 & PS3 in mind. XB1 and PS4 were announced and the last gen consoles were dropped. With that drop the game was pushed a lot harder. I remember reading something about the type physics being improved and that taking up resources. So when the game was improved it stopped performing at an acceptable rate on Wii U.

The thing that gets everyones back is that it was just one bad PR statement after another:

April 2012
Firstly announced for Wii U - along with statements about how the gampepad would be used.
Slightly Mad Studios Creative Director Andy Tudor said:
“There are lots of opportunities with the Wii U Gamepad, and we want to use it as much as we can because it´s so cool! There´s also Miiverse, which lets people post screen and post their thoughts on a game… The Wii U is full of opportunities.”

“But I can tell you that we´re making all the versions at the same time, so it´s not like we´re making the PC version and then we port it to consoles afterwards.”

March 2013
Andy Tudor said:
“So that’s standard across all consoles, and we’re more likely to utilize the native 720p support of the Wii U for launch especially since our physics and rendering systems demand a lot of processing power in order to deliver a truly next-gen experience.

“All you need to know is that when you get the game, it’ll look and feel amazing and you’ll want to show it off to your friends.”

December 2013
Andy Tudor said:
The Wii U is more than capable of providing the core Project CARS experience.

Jan 2014
Andy Tudor said:
If anything I think it’ll showcase the hidden power that the Wii U has.

Jan 2014
Andy Tudor said:
“I literally just had a blast racing around one of our tracks in the rain (the most graphically-intensive weather setting) and it held up pretty damn well. Of course there are optimisations still to be done but side-by-side, the Wii U version we have running in the studio is extremely promising.”

July 2014
Wii U version delayd till 2015
Bandai Namco said:
We’re committed to delivering an exceptional and unique experience for racing fans on Wii U and for this we kindly ask our devoted and passionate Nintendo fans for a little more time in order to ensure the game delivers on our vision of being the most authentic, beautiful, and technically-advanced racing game on any platform

September 2014
Andy Tudor said:
We obviously delayed until 2015, and there were some passionate people who got in touch with us about that. There’s no conspiracy here...It’s not our job to disappoint those guys. So when we say the Wii U version is delayed in 2015 because we need a little more time, that’s all it is. We just want to make sure it’s of the same standard of all the other game. I’ve seen the Wii U version, I’ve seen it quite regularly. It’s got dynamic time of day, weather – it looks phenomenal. And the actual console itself is quite good.”

With the Wii U port due out next year. It won’t hit the performance highs of the Xbox One and PS4 versions, though Tudor is happy with the progress Slightly Mad is making.

Oct 2014
Delayed till April 2015 all platforms. No release date for Wii U given.

March 2015
Project CARS pushed further back - no mention of Wii U.

May 2015
Project CARS Wii U 'basically dead'
Studio head Ian Bell said:
OK I’ll come clean. At the moment we’re running at about 23FPS on the WiiU. We’re awaiting/hoping for more of a hardware announcement at E3…”

“Honestly, unless we really cut the looks back I think we’re looking to Nintendo’s next console. 720p yes. I suppose if they don’t announce something at E3 or soon after we will have a go at it.”

“We could reach a fairly solid 30FPS but it might take a hell of a lot of work. On the other hand, about halfway through us finishing, Nintendo might announce a new console (I have zero knowledge on this BTW but I’ve heard ‘rumours’).

July 2015
Ian Bell said:
The official line is that we’re awaiting an announcement from Nintendo on new hardware. As of now pCARS is simply too much for the Wii U.

VariantX

Basically this. It would have been the decent thing to do a long time ago while the game was still in development and they cut out the 360 and PS3 versions of the game.

_machine

http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/WMD_Overview_160212.pdf

This is the original overview pitch pdf for their crowdfunding portal announcing Project CARS as the first project back in 2012. Check out pages 16, 19, 28, and 36. Especially page 28. :p
The project started in October 2011, Wii U wasn't in the specs then. It was there during the backing campaign though, but you never explicitly backed that version and were never promised a Wii U copy though.

It still sucks, but the move to next gen pretty much killed the version as the CPU simply can't handle the current physics engine.

Momentary

Banned
Was the game completely funded before the devs started talking about a Wii U version? I'm genuinely curious. If it was, then this cancellation isn't as big of a deal as I thought.

Funding was closed to the public before the Wii U even came to the market or as it was just fresh to the market. The Wii U version was tacked on way after funding was closed.

pa22word

They are slightly mad out of their minds when they promised a WiiU version back then.

Not really, taking the timing into account.

Release date got moved, 8th gen started, and the wii u bombed its ass off between then and now. Target specs changed from 7th gen base to an 8th gen base, and it put the pc guys into the same situation 7th gen devs had with the wii--except only this timethe wii u doesnt have a 100 million+ userbase to hedge their bet on.

It put them into a situation where theyd either have to butcher the game, use the wii u as target (lol), or spend more resources than it was worth it to downport it.

They absolutely made the right call, and they did right by their investors as they went with the path that secured them the most return to their investors. If the investors cant handle that, maybe they shouldn't have invested in the first place and instead preordered the wii u version.

Funding was closed to the public before the Wii U even came to the market or as it was just fresh to the market. The Wii U verdion was tacked on way after funding was closed.

Again, you're not answering my question. They announced the Wii U version of this game long before the Wii U system launched. During that time, could people pledge money to the project?

If funding was completely closed before a Wii U version was ever announced, the cancellation isn't a huge deal. If the funding period was still open when the Wii U SKU was unveiled, then it is a problem, because they used the Wii U to drum up additional interest in funding their project.

phanphare

Banned
The project started in October 2011, Wii U wasn't in the specs then. It was there during the backing campaign though, but you never explicitly backed that version and were never promised a Wii U copy though.

It still sucks, but the move to next gen pretty much killed the version as the CPU simply can't handle the current physics engine.

not really, when they moved to next gen they hyped up the Wii U version even more

edit: and yeah I understand that that's actually what ended up killing the game, it's just that the developers kept talking that talk especially when the PS360 versions were canned

SmokyDave

There is actual proof in this thread that people did care.

Stop being so dismissive. You're being a jerk.
It's not dismissive, it's true. There has never been a sim racer on a Nintendo console and even if it had started with this one, it would have been a fucking awful game (no analogue triggers, no steering wheel on the market, 720p15-20 at best). People might be getting upset that they're getting one less game, but sim fans already have another machine to get their fix by necessity.

_machine

not really, when they moved to next gen they hyped up the Wii U version even more
What were you referring? The T&C never explicitly promised a Wii U version, even though one was in the works (with Wii U code changes in 2012 and 2013).

edit: and yeah I understand that that's actually what ended up killing the game, it's just that the developers kept talking that talk especially when the PS360 versions were canned
Yeah, they were naturally working towards it (as evidenced by the later attempts to have the physics run on the platform), but the tight schedule and toughness of shipping a next-gen platform meant that development had to go with those platforms in mind and eventually optimization simply wouldn't be enough for the platform support.

Sify64

Welp, can't say I'm surprised about this news after the delay. They really shouldn't have hyped up the Wii U port if they weren't going to deliver in the end.

Jigorath

Banned
There is actual proof in this thread that people did care.

Stop being so dismissive. You're being a jerk.

I don't see how he's being a jerk. It's like owning only an Xbone and complaining about not getting Japanese games on the system. If you're a fan of sim racers you probably own another console or gaming PC.

But it says "Those who do claim a refund will no longer have access to new builds of Project CARS. They will not receive a slice of any profits that might be made by the game.", implying that if you don't get a refund, you will still receive a slice of the profit made by the game.

Many apologies - I misread that.

Top Bottom