• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 2009 Holiday Lineup (DSiWare Shantae confirmed)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Eco Shooter: Plant 530 -> Anyone know what this is?

If I ever get a DS, Shantae will be mine.

Jhoan

All I see on that list is a ton of shovelware with the majority of the good games being on DSi Ware and Wii Ware and very few if any gems. I'm only interested in a few games that that catch my interest. The 2 DBZ games on the Wii and DS, as well as Castlevania, Shantae, Lost Winds 2 and few others I'm too lazy too name.

gerg

dyls said:
I just don't get it. Nintendo admits that putting all of their faith in two games last year (AC and Wii Music) was a mistake, apologizes for it, assures everyone it won't happen again...and then goes and does the exact same thing. Admittedly, NSMB by itself is bigger than either of the two titles that came out last holiday; nevertheless, they had all year to make sure they didn't make the same mistake, and yet here we are again. And the unspecified date for NSMB makes me wonder if it will even be ready for the holidays. Which means they can either delay the game and crush their chances for a hugely successful holiday, or release a game that's less than what it could be. If there was anything else to bolster the lineup, maybe it wouldn't be such a dilemma.

It depends. On the one hand, Nintendo's original intention wasn't to release only Wii Music and AC last holiday period, so to say that they put all their faith in those two games is inaccurate. (They put all their faith in WSR, which may or may not represent its own failing.)

On the other, if NSMB Wii under-performs (or, more importantly, does not drum up momentum for the Wii hardware itself), then the criticism is valid.

(I also don't get the "have something else ready to release" line of argument.)

And is it just me or is the Wiiware lineup more exciting than the retail lineup? Maybe it's just because there aren't 250 shovelware titles sprinkled in for Wiiware.

Because you're being forced to buy the entire Wii retail lineup?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
dyls said:
I just don't get it. Nintendo admits that putting all of their faith in two games last year (AC and Wii Music) was a mistake, apologizes for it, assures everyone it won't happen again...and then goes and does the exact same thing.
Ah but you see, Nintendo has also spent the last year repeatly complaining about gamers who were complaining that there was no Zelda or Mario last year. So Nintendo has repeated that line so many times that they've come to believe themselves. And now they truly believe that if you have any title with Mario or Zelda in it for the holiday your lineup is super golden and everyone will be blissfully happy.

dyls said:
I just don't get it. Nintendo admits that putting all of their faith in two games last year (AC and Wii Music) was a mistake, apologizes for it, assures everyone it won't happen again...and then goes and does the exact same thing.

They probably think these two are more deserving of such faith. And I would tend to agree.

d+pad

suaveric said:
Maybe Nintendo is keeping the New Super Mario release date for the big PR blitz of the price drop.

Ah, you may be onto something here. Or, they might be holding onto it for a press release set for a dat closer to Black Friday. I totally can see them releasing NSMB Wii and the black Wiimote, etc., on Black Friday. I guess we'll see soon enough!

Jezan

dani_dc said:
FINAL FANTASY® CRYSTAL CHRONICLES®: THE CRYSTAL BEARERS® - Dec. 26

That can't be the actual release date right?
I can't think of a better way to avoid potential sales then to release it on December 26, who actually goes out and buys games the day after christmas?

Hopefully it's a mistake. Cause I , for sure, won't be able to get it that day (or even that week). :/

Edit: :C

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tiktaalik said:
3) I didn't realize that Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles was coming out this holiday. Looks like there is more for hardcore Wii gamers this holiday than previously realized. Atlus is bringing over Shiren the Wanderer as well. Add in another Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game on the DS and hardcore RPG fans must be pleased.
Not sure why you'd say that.

Jezan said:
Hopefully it's a mistake. Cause I , for sure, won't be able to get it that day (or even that week). :/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17576609#post17576609

[Nintex]

DefectiveReject said:
also nintendo putting out 2 games LOL
I used to think: "This can't be it Nintendo probably has a few surprises left!"

But I've given up on that, good times though... good times

Captain N

Somnid said:
Well shit my DSi is Japanese. Hey Nintendo, feel like putting some VC on DSi so I can get a US one?

I am guessing(hoping) Nintendo will announce it in Japan during the Nintendo event there.

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
I know Nintendo did have more planned for the holiday and for whatever reason just didn't get it through.
If I count all the games that "didn't get through" over the years, Wii's line-up would've been at least twice as big.

Also if their Nintendo game isn't coming out this year I'm expecting the closure of White Harvest LLC soon or whatever the Factor 5 boys call themselves now.

wrowa

Shantae looks awesome. Too bad I don't own a DSi :/

And quite a good WiiWare line-up, too. Especially compared to the quite shitty Wii retail line-up.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Scrubking said:
Wasn't Shantae supposed to be for Wiiware? WTF?
Not sure where you got that idea. The evidence has been pointing to DSiware for some time.

ShockingAlberto said:
I know Nintendo did have more planned for the holiday and for whatever reason just didn't get it through.
That's the same excuse people used last year! Are Wii games the new lost sock in the laundry?

Zihark

ShockingAlberto said:
Yeah right, that's what we said last year with the same results-I miss the year when NOA 2 November Wii releases were SMG & FE:RD.

[Nintex] said:
I think you're the only one because:

- 3D on DS
- Ubisoft
- It's a GTA clone
- Ubisoft

I have no problem with 3D on DS... but I forgot Ubi Soft was involved. If anything can kill hype, it's Ubi Soft + GTA clone.

[Nintex]

grandjedi6 said:
That's the same excuse people used last year! Are Wii games the new lost sock in the laundry?
Not to mention those games simply vanish because the games that Nintendo did show last october weren't finished at that time and nothing else was announced.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Cow Mengde said:
Am I the only one excited about C.O.P for the DS? I don't even care for the drive and gun genre, but it just looks pretty cool.

http://nintendopower.com/images/NP247_Cop.jpg

Nope :/

At the very least, I'll pimp this game when I'm near some friends. When they ask what game it is, I'll slyly mutter the name followed by "a different kind of GTA."

If they ask who made it, I'll say I forgot.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gerg said:
Except last year it actually turned out to be true.

For Japan anyways. I haven't seen any evidence that WSR was going to come out in the West last holiday- the Iwata Ask seemed to refer only to the domestic market IIRC.

gerg

schuelma said:
For Japan anyways. I haven't seen any evidence that WSR was going to come out in the West last holiday- the Iwata Ask seemed to refer only to the domestic market IIRC.

I don't see why they wouldn't have wanted to release the game worldwide. That would also jive with Reggie's comments about a "Christmas surprise". However much of a PR-mouthpiece he is, I don't think he earnestly expected the hardcore crowd to go nuts over AC and Wii Music. He's certainly not stupid.

[Nintex] said:
Not to mention those games simply vanish because the games that Nintendo did show last october weren't finished at that time and nothing else was announced.

What are you trying to say here?

markatisu

gerg said:
I don't see why they wouldn't have wanted to release the game worldwide. That would also jive with Reggie's comments about a "Christmas surprise". However much of a PR-mouthpiece he is, I don't think he earnestly expected the hardcore crowd to go nuts over AC and Wii Music. He's certainly not stupid.

Shit you could tell that at E3 last year, his body language was enough

gerg

markatisu said:
Shit you could tell that at E3 last year

?

I'm basing this entirely off the Iwata Asks where Iwata says that they wanted to release WSR for the Christmas period, but had to delay the title due to problems with the M+ hardware.

Edit: I seem to have misunderstood you. You're agreeing with me, right?

schuelma

gerg said:
I don't see why they wouldn't have wanted to release the game worldwide.

Well, it happened with Wii Fit in 2007.

Scrubking

Not sure where you got that idea. The evidence has been pointing to DSiware for some time.

siliconera said:
On my way out of this morning's GDC keynote I bumped into Voldi Way, the "tyrannical overlord" of WayForward. You may recall the company name from their work on Contra 4, but before meddeling with an alien war they had an original character named Shantae. Capcom published a single game starring the half-genie from Sequin Land on the Game Boy Color. A sequel has yet to matriculate.

Fans hoping for one might get their wish granted. Way explained they are looking at the Wii as the home for a new Shantae game. Afterwards I asked if they were considering WiiWare. Way replied, "that's the plan."

Matt Bozon said:
We do have a Shantae WiiWare game in development, but I'm keeping the details somewhat hushed.

I got the "idea" from Wayforward.

AniHawk

Interested in:

Wii
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
A Boy and His Blob
Wii Fit Plus
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll
FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: THE CRYSTAL BEARERS ALL YELLING ALL THE TIME
Rabbids Go Home

And Yet It Moves
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias
Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth
Super Meat Boy

Nintendo DS/Nintendo DSi
Shantae:Risky's Revenge
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Bolded are planned purchases. Sure would be nice to get a date on NSMB Wii.

schuelma

gerg said:
Fair point. Wii sales started to turn south later in America than in Japan as well, didn't they?

Yup. In 2008 sales were still great in N.A, but were definitely falling off in Japan.

markatisu

gerg said:
Edit: I seem to have misunderstood you. You're agreeing with me, right?

Yes I was agreeing with your point that Reggie did not believe AC and Wii Music were the answer for the core users despite what he was paid to say

schuelma

Am I just making this up or did we hear from the gamestop conference that Nintendo said NSMB Wii would be out in November? I can't find the thread now but I swear I read that.

schuelma said:
Am I just making this up or did we hear from the gamestop conference that Nintendo said NSMB Wii would be out in November? I can't find the thread now but I swear I read that.

I checked my preorder list and I have it down as the 2nd of November. I usually only add a date to a title once I've read that it has been confirmed and I'm pretty sure I remember reading about it coming on that date.

Duderz said:
It is incredible how little output Nintendo has had for the Wii this year and most of last. Just incredible.

Yeah even Punch-Out was farmed out. Very few actual games from them...they have to be doing something, right?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
schuelma said:
I'm sure it's also true for Japan this year, we already know they're also getting S&P2. Not that it means much to us, or that NoA cares. :\

Top Bottom