• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 2009 Holiday Lineup (DSiWare Shantae confirmed)

gerg

ShineALight said:
Yeah even Punch-Out was farmed out. Very few actual games from them...they have to be doing something, right?

The simplest answer is that Nintendo is doing a lot that we don't know about and may never know about it. Heck, at one point they had an entirely new handheld ready for launch, and eventually they shelved that.

jj984jj said:
I'm sure it's also true for Japan this year, we already know they're also getting S&P2. Not that it means much to us, or that NoA cares. :\

This would imply that NoA has a say in the matter.

AniHawk

gerg said:
The simplest answer is that Nintendo is doing a lot that we don't know about and may never know about it. Heck, at one point they had an entirely new handheld ready for launch, and eventually they shelved that.

Was this the sequel to the GBA?

boiled goose

good with gravy
ShineALight said:
Yeah even Punch-Out was farmed out. Very few actual games from them...they have to be doing something, right?

What the hell are they doing????

nintendo has always been a very forward looking company... my guess is they will ride the wii and ds for as long as they need to. don't use your ideas now since you don't need them now???

thefro

Lots of gems in there, even if there isn't a blockbuster game for the neogaf crowd.

Really excited that we'll get Cave Story and Castlevania Rebirth on WiiWare in the next couple weeks.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
gerg said:
This would imply that NoA has a say in the matter.
Not sure why they wouldn't, not that it matters because either way we're not getting to play games that NCL had no problem releasing in Japan knowing that they wouldn't have mainstream appeal.

gerg

jj984jj said:
Not sure why they wouldn't,

Because Nintendo is a very centralized company which gives very little autonomy to its publishing arms. Reggie doesn't ring up Iwata and say "yes" or "no" to a checklist of games. Rather, I imagine that Iwata rings up Reggie and tells him what the plans are.

not that it matters because either way we're not getting to play games that NCL had no problem releasing in Japan knowing that they wouldn't have mainstream appeal.

Then throw your complaints at Iwata and co. over at Nintendo's headquarters in Kyoto.

It might also be the case that Nintendo is happier to release S&P2 in Japan in the holiday season because fewer games will be released there which will be targeted at the same audience, and equally because the S&P brand has the greatest traction in Japan, and so may fare better against competition.

jj984jj

gerg said:
Because Nintendo is a very centralized company which gives very little autonomy to its publishing arms. Reggie doesn't ring up Iwata and say "yes" or "no" to a checklist of games. Rather, I imagine that Iwata rings up Reggie and tells him what the plans are.
I really doubt it's that simple either.

It's not like you can pretend to know how Iwata has NCL/NoA structured.

gerg said:
Then throw your complaints at Iwata and co. over at Nintendo's headquarters in Kyoto.
You're telling me to throw complaints to people who cannot hear me at all rather than the people who are paid to hear my complaints and, hopefully, convey them if they match those of others?

gerg

jj984jj said:

You're right in that I can't know for sure how Nintendo is run, but I find it hard to believe that they're not a rational company whose decisions and motivations may sometimes work against them.

And of course, it is clear that, at times, Reggie has made certain decisions as to which games to publish. Disaster and, perhaps, Another Code Wii are evidence of this. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Reggie only declined to publish those games after Iwata signaled that the games were good for a worldwide release.

But put it this way: why should Nintendo release S&P 2 in America during the holiday period? To appease a minority crowd only to have the game bomb (more heavily) than it might otherwise? You'll always buy the game - your concerns should be Nintendo's last.

You're telling me to throw complaints to people who cannot hear me at all rather than the people who are paid to hear my complaints and convey them?

But what do you expect Reggie to do about it? Ultimately, it's not his decision to make.

I'm sure Reggie does convey to Iwata what certain people want out of Nintendo. However, I'd be surprised if Iwata didn't already know this already.

Emotions

Mockingbird said:
No Another Code R? F U Nintendo!
I think people should pretty much give up on Another Code, Disaster, ASH, Soma Bringer, Card Hero and Takt of Magic seeing the light of the day.

[Nintex]

jj984jj said:

You're telling me to throw complaints to people who cannot hear me at all rather than the people who are paid to hear my complaints and, hopefully, convey them if they match those of others?
Not to mention that if Iwata and NCL are behind it all(I'm sure they play a huge part but Disaster: Day of Crisis seems to have been Reggie's call), why is NoE suddenly improving their efforts ten fold.

boiled goose

good with gravy
jj984jj said:

the interview with the people that localized mario and luigi 3 says the decision making process involves input from various noa and ncl departments.

still...

i do not understand why disaster and trace memory have not been released in america.
the games are in freaking english.

it has been said way too many times, and its not like me talking about it in gaf makes a difference, but this shit is unacceptable. this gen has been the worst so far for NOA localizing titles. way to say fuck you to your most ardid fans nintendo.

i will give them fatal frame 4 due to the bugs and the problems fixing them with tecmo. ill even give you captain rainbow because it needs to be translated and is quirky as fuck, but trace memory and disaster are done and in english already.

whoever makes the decision is simply saying fuck you to the fans and the developers of these games. as a gaming only company, nintendo really needs to show their love for making games and letting people enjoy them.

end of rant...

gerg

[Nintex] said:
Not to mention that if Iwata and NCL are behind it all(I'm sure they play a huge part but Disaster: Day of Crisis seems to have been Reggie's call), why is NoE suddenly improving their efforts ten fold.

How has NoE improved their efforts ten-fold?

Another Code and Disaster seem to be the only games that have been released in Europe (but not America) that would have been financially feasible to release. Tingle would probably have bombed, but these kind of calculations depend on knowledge of the cost to physically produce the discs and distribute them, variables to which we do not have access.

On the flipside, we don't have Excitebots either.

amtentori said:
i do not understand why disaster and trace memory have not been released in america.
the games are in freaking english.

Is there a minimum amount of discs that needs to be produced?

Either way, I'm willing to admit that the decisions (not) to release these games were calls made by Reggie, and less understandable ones at that.

whoever makes the decision is simply saying fuck you to the fans and the developers of these games. as a gaming only company, nintendo really needs to show their love for making games and letting people enjoy them.

As a gaming company Nintendo needs to make money.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The short Nintendo proper release list reminds me. What the hell happened to NST? Is that building empty now or something?

Atleast someone has actually been to Retro recently, but NST's been missing this entire generation.

Goddamnit. I have a DS phat and Lite, and I really don't have the cash to buy a lite. I've never played the Game Boy Color game, but I've heard nothing but amazing things about it.

Wayforward should put out limited copies of the game on DS cards. Charge me a premium, I'll pay it :lol

I have an odd feeling that Nintendo is purposely holding back a little with their output so that third parties get a chance to shine.

Before, tons of third parties complained that their games didn't sell on Nintendo hardware, because Nintendo's games would outsell them. Of course, that statement is false, considering that SNES, with many Nintendo games, had tons of 3rd party sales and the Wii, which has a slow output of Nintendo games, often struggles with 3rd party sales.

Anyhow... I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo has some games complete or almost complete and waiting for release, kind of like how Animal Crossing for the Wii was finished for a while before its release, or how Excitebots was announced about a month before release.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Jonny The Pie King said:
Goddamnit. I have a DS phat and Lite, and I really don't have the cash to buy a lite. I've never played the Game Boy Color game, but I've heard nothing but amazing things about it.

Wayforward should put out limited copies of the game on DS cards. Charge me a premium, I'll pay it :lol

Why do you want to buy another Lite?

I kid. Just trade in your Lite if you want the game bad enough?

Haunted said:
wtf at the amount of games
and WTF at the amount of Nintendo games

Shantae is bought!

Cop looks interesting but it's Ubisoft we are talking about.

Too bad for all you not-DSi owners. Sell your DSL as long as you can!

wsippel

Banned
Why in gods name is the confirmation of a new Shantae already on the second page!?!

On topic: Bought. This, the two sequels, and Lost Winds (of course).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So awesome :D

shot06.png

IceMarker

Cow Mengde said:
HOLY SHIT THAT GORGEOUS!!!

Now I'm beginning to regret not having a DSi. My DS Lite is just one year old, I've been a DS Fat user for like 2 years.

Oh and yes! Shantae's hair is longer. My only real gripe about the original was that her short hair makes the combat a pain. Longer hair means longer reach.
Damn that looks good!

AND WTF NINTENDO POWER I JUST GOT THIS MONTH'S ISSUE IN THE MAIL AND YOU FUCKING POST NEXT MONTHS NOW!?

jj984jj

gerg said:
But put it this way: why should Nintendo release S&P 2 in America during the holiday period? To appease a minority crowd only to have the game bomb (more heavily) than it might otherwise? You'll always buy the game - your concerns should be Nintendo's last.
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up S&P2, I'm not even complaining about it coming out here a season or 2 later, I was simply pointing out that once again NCL has a stronger line-up planned for Japan this holiday. And I'm not only talking about titles that have sales potential here, I'm talking about all titles, even those that really never had any to being with and NCL green-lit to be released in Japan.

gerg said:
But what do you expect Reggie to do about it? Ultimately, it's not his decision to make.

I'm sure Reggie does convey to Iwata what certain people want out of Nintendo. However, I'd be surprised if Iwata didn't already know this already.
Ask again? I don't know, but sitting by idly obviously hasn't worked. The only games that NoA seem to be on top of is the New Play Control releases.

[Nintex]

jj984jj said:
Ask again? I don't know, but sitting by idly obviously hasn't worked. The only games that NoA seem to be on top of is the New Play Control releases.
Agreed, I wonder how people would've reacted if Nintendo re-released N64 games during the GameCube era. To support the line-up that's fine but in this case it actually is their line-up with a compilation of the Metroid games being their big 'hardcore' title.

Games on my radar. Bolded are planned purchases (the screens sold me on Shantae):

Wii

A Boy and His Blob - Oct. 13
Wii Fit Plus - Oct. 4
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Holiday
Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter - Oct. 27

WiiWare

LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias - Q4
Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth - Q3
Cave Story - Q3
Arkanoid Plus! - Q3
Tales of Monkey Island™: Lair of the Leviathan - Q3
Tales of Monkey Island™: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood - Q4
Tales of Monkey Island™: Rise of the Pirate God - Q4

Nintendo DS/Nintendo DSi

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Dec. 7
Infinite Space™ - Spring

Nintendo DSiWare

Bomberman Blitz - Q4
Art Style™: DIGIDRIVE™ - Q4
Electroplankton™ (10 titles total) - Q4
Shantae:Risky's Revenge - Q4

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ninj4junpei said:
Four pages and still no The Take Out Bandit? I guess his heart couldn't take the excitement. :(
Yeah, I expected him to spooge all over his keyboard and type about it with the remaining keys.

I need a beer now to wash that image from my brain...

Deja vu. There's some definite (Wayforward) gems coming out on the Wii, the DS, Wii and DSi Ware, that can't be stressed enough, but it's another year and yet another NoA holiday release schedule with gaping holes.

ethelred

Oh, gosh. Shantae looks amazing. So, so bought. And two more episodes, too? :eek:

The games I'm definitely getting:
infinite Space
Zelda
Lost Winds
Sands of Destruction
Shantae
Shiren the Wanderer

Maybes:
Trauma Team
A Boy and His Blob
Crystal Bearers
Nostalgia