• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 2009 Holiday Lineup (DSiWare Shantae confirmed)

mollipen

jj984jj said:
I believe those are from the old DS project from an artist's website. These are from the NP feature:

And if I had to guess anything, that would be the result of somebody at Nintendo Power not knowing how to resize DS images properly. No way in hell you're going to convince me that a 2D-loving company like WayForward would produce something that looks like that garbage. What you're seeing in those shots is classic shitty image resizing.

Shadow780

Just KH 358/2 Days, Phantasy Star 0, and Nostalgia for me.

For Wii I hope to get Punch Out and Wii Sports Resort with a deal.

GWX

jj984jj said:
I believe those are from the old DS project from an artist's website. These are from the NP feature:
34pl15x.jpg
30ii6ug.jpg

Oh.

I hope it looks as good as the other screens in motion.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Getting some subset of this (bold for sure, regular pending reviews and my game load at the time):

Golden Darkness said:
Trauma Team™ - Spring
Shiren the Wanderer™ - Spring
Astro Boy®: The Video Game - Oct. 20
Dead Space™ Extraction - Sept. 29
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - November
A Boy and His Blob - Oct. 13
Wii Fit Plus - Oct. 4
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Holiday
FINAL FANTASY® CRYSTAL CHRONICLES®: THE CRYSTAL BEARERS® - Dec. 26

Rabbids Go Home™ - Nov. 3

BIT.TRIP VOID - Q3
BIT.TRIP series (3 additional titles) - Q4, Q1
And Yet It Moves - Q4
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias - Q4
Rage of the Gladiator - Q1
Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth - Q3
Cave Story - Q3
Night Game - Q1
La Mulana - Q1
You, Me, and the Cubes™ - Q3

Eco Shooter: Plant 530™ - Q4
Pokémon™ Rumble - Q4
Max & the Magic Marker - Q4
Super Meat Boy - Q1

Fighting Fantasy™: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain - Oct. 26
Nostalgia - Oct. 20
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Dec. 7
Bookworm™ - Dec. 1
Sands of Destruction™ - January
Infinite Space™ - Spring
KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS - Sept. 29
Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter - Oct. 27

C.O.P. The Recruit™ - Nov. 3
Scribblenauts™ - Sept. 15
THE WIZARD OF OZ™: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road - Sept. 29

Art Academy™: Second Semester - Sept. 28
Art Style™: DIGIDRIVE™ - Q4--pending left handitude
Picturebook Games™: The Royal Bluff - Q4
Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon™ - Q4
Sparkle Snapshots™ - Q4
Shantae:Risky's Revenge - Q4

There are quite a few "hmm, what's this" in the WiiWare / DSiWare columns.

onipex

dyls said:
I just don't get it. Nintendo admits that putting all of their faith in two games last year (AC and Wii Music) was a mistake, apologizes for it, assures everyone it won't happen again...and then goes and does the exact same thing.

They have 3 games this year with WSR, Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii. At least they hope the sales of WSR stay up through the holidays from they have said.

I agree that they should have more games , but any one of those 3 games will be bigger than the 2 they had last year.

Games I'm keeping and eye on are:

Marvel™: Ultimate Alliance 2
Trauma Team
Shiren the Wanderer
Spyborgs
MySims™ Agents
Spore™ Hero
EA SPORTS Active™ More Workouts
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Star Wars® The Clone Wars™: Republic Heroes
Dragon Ball®: Revenge of King Piccolo
Wii Fit Plus
New Super Mario Bros
FINAL FANTASY® CRYSTAL CHRONICLES®: THE CRYSTAL BEARERS

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
onipex said:
They have 3 games this year with WSR, Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii. At least they hope the sales of WSR stay up through the holidays from they have said.

I agree that they should have more games , but any one of those 3 games will be bigger than the 2 they had last year.

if you count wii sports resort this year why not count wii fit or mario kart last year?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sprsk said:
So I'm guessing Nintendo(japan) is gonna do their Pre-TGS thing any day now?

Yeah have we heard anything on that? I know its usually in October but I figured they might do it this week before TGS like they've done recently.

WiiMusic and AC 1.4 didn't interest me, at least Mario is... Mario. So I'm excited, I still expect more from Nintendo, next year will be packed though. They should be more organised and spread the big releases out a bit. >_>

Anyway, a whoooooooooole lot to look forward to this year still even with only Mario really from Nintendo. Heaps of great games on that list, can't wait!

schuelma said:
Yeah have we heard anything on that? I know its usually in October but I figured they might do it this week before TGS like they've done recently.
I hope so. It's been a while since we've had anything real to geek out over. Trailers for SMG2, M:OM or (dare I say it?) a Zelda Wii teaser would be glorious, but honestly, I'd be happy with more details about Spirit Tracks or even a few new DS announcements.

As always, I will not-so-secretly hope for a new 2D Metroid and, as always, will leave just a little disappointed.

For those griping about Nintendo's holiday line-up (which I'll admit sucks), there was a year where all they had for release for the N64 was Diddy Kong Racing. I don't think it's that bad.

My shopping list essentially consists of Kingdom Hearts and Zelda for DS, FFCC and Mario for Wii. No DSi, but some of those WiiWare games look pretty interesting.

schuelma said:

Well, going by the last couple of years:

TGS - September 20-23
Nintendo Conference - October 9

TGS - October 9-12
Nintendo Conference - October 1

TGS - September 24-27
Nintendo Conference - ???

...it seems as though we could see their conference either just after or just before TGS. The retailer ads for price drops in the US suggest we're going to see an announcement on pricing very soon, and as it would seem that likely that it will be a global drop & the annual NCL conference would appear to be the most opportune place to announce that, I'd say we might see a conference pre-TGS.

I'll be bold and say... a 22/23 September conference, followed by attendance at the Kyoto Games event.

onipex

Stumpokapow said:
if you count wii sports resort this year why not count wii fit or mario kart last year?

I'm pretty sure those games did help drive holiday sales last year. Animal Crossing and Wii Music failed to drive sales and Nintendo only had Punch Out and Excite Bots to follow up ( fun games but they wont raise hw sales). Nintendo at least has games that can drive hw sales this holiday.

I agree with you that there should be more holiday releases though.

laserbeam

Banned
Shantae is looking good and those NP shots of the game are horribly resized to the point they dont even match each other in size.

onipex said:
I'm pretty sure those games did help drive holiday sales last year. Animal Crossing and Wii Music failed to drive sales and Nintendo only had Punch Out and Excite Bots to follow up ( fun games but they wont raise hw sales). Nintendo at least has games that can drive hw sales this holiday.

I agree with you that there should be more holiday releases though.

Problem I think is just the development cycle. They have 2 Finished Mario games ready to go but to avoid overexposure and cannibalising sales they can only release one so they go for the broader audience one.

They of course suggest Zelda will release next year but their track record makes it hard to believe. Retro has been working on a project for a long while.

Nintendo just needs to buy a few more studios so they can have a more complete development cycle where there is not so many gaps

MGrant

Madagascar Kartz yessssssss

Also, I hope that the lack of first-party releases means that SMG2 and Metroid: Other M will blow my fucking mind next year.

I hope, but I do not anticipate

Tiktaalik

laserbeam said:
There has been the gamecube portable rumor but I dont know maybe one day Nintendo will launch a Museum showcasing all their unrealized products

I'm assuming they keep making stuff and it keeps getting cancelled because of poor quality.

HUELEN10

TAKE OUT BANDIT, ARE YOU BREATHING?!?!?!?!? SAY SOMETHING!

This is like the equivalent of a Sonic thread without me, gagaman, Sega1991, or TheSonicRetard, it's just wrong!

laserbeam

Banned
Would basically have to move into Laptop batteries to power a Portable GC and thats a far cry from the $10.99 replacement batteries for the DS etc. I mean my Vaio's replacement battery is $299

donny2112

SecretBonusPoint said:
Therein lies the rub:
nintendo-ds-original.png

The early adopter. The fool.

No. In hindsight, it was more foolish to purchase a DSLite after already owning the original DS and then upgrading to a DSi than it would've been to stick with the regular DS and upgrade straight to the DSi. ;P

nincompoop said:
On the left hand side of the page, Shantae: Risky's Revenge is listed as a "Wiiware Feature". Typo?

It says "DSiWare Feature."

HUELEN10 said:

This is like the equivalent of a Sonic thread without me, gagaman, Sega1991, or TheSonicRetard, it's just wrong!
I feel that my name should be mentioned here.

HUELEN10 said:

I think he is en route right now to WayForward to make sweet love to them.

As per the largely vacant thread, XSEED DID see the wisdom in bringing out Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga BEFORE the October onslaught---though just barely at a Sept 29 date.

Also, though I'm unsure of the date as the PR didn't say, an incredibly old school PC game is now DS/DSi bound---King's Table. That's right....KING'S freaking TABLE!

gerg

jj984jj said:
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up S&P2, I'm not even complaining about it coming out here a season or 2 later, I was simply pointing out that once again NCL has a stronger line-up planned for Japan this holiday.

If all you're saying is that "Japan has X more games than America this holiday season", I have nothing to complain about. This is true. I just think that complaints about this aren't necessarily well-founded, apart from the "I'm a consumer and I want everything given to me now!" angle.

And I'm not only talking about titles that have sales potential here, I'm talking about all titles, even those that really never had any to being with and NCL green-lit to be released in Japan.

As I said, a lot of our discussion on why Nintendo has or has not released Game X will depend on us knowing the development cost, production and distribution costs, and the game's revenue, factors to which we have no access.

All I can say is that Nintendo presumably wants to offer its second party development teams some level of freedom as to what they produce, but probably offers them less or more money with which to develop the game according to the game's potential for success. Of course, I can't claim to know whether or not Nintendo's more niche games have turned a profit. On the other hand, I think it's naive to think that localization doesn't represent its own cost evaluation and assessment in itself, and so localizing these niche titles may ultimately represent its own loss.

Ask again? I don't know, but sitting by idly obviously hasn't worked. The only games that NoA seem to be on top of is the New Play Control releases.

How has NoA been sitting by idly? And if they have, how has their release strategy failed? Unless you're trying to connect the Wii's falling sales with the fact that Another Code Wii isn't out in America, I don't see how Nintendo's attitude to the "GAF crowd" has impacted their bottom line in any shape or form.

birdchili

Jaagen said:
Is it the C64 classic we're talking about here?
yeah - looks like it. React games has a version out for iPhone, but I couldn't find any info on an in-progress Wii version. Looks very-much like the original, but with an ai opponent option (which I don't believe the original had?).

wsippel

Banned
Dan said:
Eco Shooter: Plant 530 -> Anyone know what this is?
Just posted this in the Nintendo Downloads thread, but whatever: The only pieces of information I could dig up so far would be that it seems to be developed by Intelligent Systems (yay!) and the trademark was registered in Japan in late 2008. There were several trademarks registered at the same time, and I guess they were all possible titles for the same game - one of them is "Zero Waste Shooter". And that's all I got.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
gerg said:
If all you're saying is that "Japan has X more games than America this holiday season", I have nothing to complain about. This is true. I just think that complaints about this aren't necessarily well-founded, apart from the "I'm a consumer and I want everything given to me now!" angle.

You can spin it that way, but I'm not asking for anything unreasonable given Nintendo's output here for the past year or their line-up for the rest of the year in comparison.

gerg said:
As I said, a lot of our discussion on why Nintendo has or has not released Game X will depend on us knowing the development cost, production and distribution costs, and the game's revenue, factors to which we have no access.

All I can say is that Nintendo presumably wants to offer its second party development teams some level of freedom as to what they produce, but probably offers them less or more money with which to develop the game according to the game's potential for success. Of course, I can't claim to know whether or not Nintendo's more niche games have turned a profit. On the other hand, I think it's naive to think that localization doesn't represent its own cost evaluation and assessment in itself, and so localizing these niche titles may ultimately represent its own loss.

How has NoA been sitting by idly? And if they have, how has their release strategy failed? Unless you're trying to connect the Wii's falling sales with the fact that Another Code Wii isn't out in America, I don't see how Nintendo's attitude to the "GAF crowd" has impacted their bottom line in any shape or form.

I'm not going to argue the hypothetical with you, but you don't need those figures to know that projects like Disaster and Takt of Magic weren't profitable for them in Japan. And yes, I know it's not a wise business decision for them to waste even more money on their localization (although in Disaster's case they already did, which just makes it more confusing as to why they won't release it here), their strategy hasn't failed, but you're once again missing what my point was to being with. If they can flush money down the toilet to make those games for the Japanese market in order to have the software to satisfy all their audiences there, even the niche ones, then it's not entirely unreasonable to ask that they attempt to release these titles without sales potential in North America as well. Why exactly are you defending Nintendo's bottom line?

gerg

jj984jj said:
You can spin it that way, but I'm not asking for anything unreasonable given Nintendo's output here for the past year in comparison.

You're asking them to eschew any strategical nature to releasing a game just so you can play it now. I'd say that's pretty unreasonable for a company whose goal should be to make money.

If they can flush money down the toilet to make those games for the Japanese market in order to have the software to satisfy all their audiences there,

You assume that they released these games to "satisfy their audiences". Although I'd agree that that's an effect of these games' releases, I'd want to clarify that Nintendo's hopes for these games was to make money. That is, Nintendo hasn't developed Another Code Wii because it wants to give something nice back to the fans, but because it believed that it would be financially feasible to do so. You seem to imply that Nintendo goes out of its way to lose money - I highly doubt this is the case.

even the niche ones, then it's not entirely unreasonable to ask that they attempt to release these titles without sales potential in North America as well.

Such a conclusion assumes that Nintendo has wanted to release games that have failed to make a profit.

I'm not going to deny that Nintendo can afford to turn in a loss on these games. But what do they gain by doing so? Nothing. Their sales of SMG 2 won't magically increase because the gamers who would buy it anyway had the opportunity to then buy another, different, title. Ultimately, Nintendo can afford to take a loss on lots of things. They could drop the price of the Wii by $100 tomorrow and they'd still make a profit. And yet they don't do these things because their goal as a company is to make the most money possible.

Why exactly are you defending Nintendo's bottom line?

Defending it in what way? On the one hand, I don't seek to deny that Nintendo's localisation has been pretty shitty recently. We've seen fewer games released that could be released than we have in past years and past generations. Not to speak for him (and I hope I haven't misread him), but even Stumpokapow (the most ardent of the anti-Nintendo's-localisation-policy brigade) has agreed in the past that Nintendo's motivations for releasing these games wouldn't be that they would turn a profit. The idea that Nintendo is missing out on lots of revenue seems pretty ludicrous.

Rather, my point is why we expect a money-driven company to do any different. Nintendo will always release new, quirky titles in the hopes that the games will find success and in order to give their development teams some creative freedom. And when these games fail to sell well, Nintendo moves on and tries to learn from their mistakes. When throwing wet tissue at the ceiling you focus on the balls that stick, and don't continually throw the ones that fall back down again and again. And this isn't even something unique to Nintendo. I know that there was a great GAF outcry, for example, when SEGA announced that Yakuza 3 wouldn't be making it overseas. But this was reasonable, too. Overall, it's a geographical fact that because Nintendo is a a Japanese company, its development arms will develop for the Japanese market first and foremost, and so most of its failures will be stuck there.

The moral of the story: shit happens. It's neither good nor bad.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Say, I've never played a Shantae game.

On the other hand, I've not spend the free 1000 DSi Points from when I bought the DSi.

Should I buy this? Is it platforming? Cause if it is I'm totally in.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
gerg, I still don't see your point, if you're not defending their business decision to leave unlocalized titles in Japan due to their lack of sales potential then beyond "shit happens" do you even have one?

Top Bottom