• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 75th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders | June 26, 10 a.m. JST

Snakeyes

Decentralize power from NCL, restore NoA and NoE autonomy and rebuild Nintendo's western development division would be even better.
Well said. Power is not everything - I think that what's keeping Nintendo from effectively competing with other players in the gaming industry is their near lack of development studios outside Japan.

TriGen

We usually get a few things to talk about from these meetings, so I'm definitely gonna leave this tab open. Hopefully somebody will be live-tweeting.

dickroach

got a few hundred shares in the good ol NTDOY; after E3 I somehow feel entitled to be able to watch this on a live steam. I guess I'll just have to settle for reading the absolutely ridiculous questions and answers tomorrow

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Seems odd to have both when one is of greater value, but ehh.
And I don't remember when, but I do recall foreign investors asking questions at an investor Q&A via telephone, so there has to be a way to be remotely present for these things.

I would know, there isn't.

Pikachu's ready.

0v80hkr.jpg

Didn't they say at their last meeting that the next one, this one, would go over licensing agreements with other companies? Maybe we'll get a little bit of confirmation about that Disney partnership.

Last year, Iwata spent time in the Q&A bragging about how well-loved their E3 show was.

Wonder if he'll do that this year.

Well outside the actual direct it was still the best E3 had to offer. But i seriously doubt he will mention it. Focus will be on DeNA, Universal and the overall profit last year. Doubt he will even mention Qol before October.

Oriel

I never realised JP Morgan was such a large shareholder of Nintendo. Maybe now is the time for a non Japanese director on the board. Certainly Nintendo, and other Japanese companies on general could do with a fresh perspective. It worked for Nissan when Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn (French Lebanonese) took over and completely revamped the business.

Terrell

I would know, there isn't.

I guess that instance I referred to must have been a physical representative for a larger firm asking a question for his employer, then. Or perhaps it's by request only.

But I also did some reading on the subject and virtual or hybrid shareholder meetings appear to still be a newly-emergent trend with a lot of mixed opinions from those in corporate governance and its regulators. So while it's a nice idea, perhaps it's a bit of a ways away.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well outside the actual direct it was still the best E3 had to offer. But i seriously doubt he will mention it. Focus will be on DeNA, Universal and the overall profit last year. Doubt he will even mention Qol before October.

Wow. Not even close to true. Last year was fantastic for Nintendo. This year was a disaster.

Guevara

I never realised JP Morgan was such a large shareholder of Nintendo. Maybe now is the time for a non Japanese director on the board. Certainly Nintendo, and other Japanese companies on general could do with a fresh perspective. It worked for Nissan when Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn (French Lebanonese) took over and completely revamped the business.

Nintendo fills the "Internation, Large Cap Equity" target for ETFs. That's probably what is happening re: JP Morgan. So, mostly I imagine this is a part of 401k portfolios, etc.

Here's a funny blurb from Wells Fargo 2012, their Wells Fargo Advantage International Equity Fund. Again, mostly this would be owned by individual Americans through their retirement accounts:

Our underperformance within information technology can be
attributed to our investments in Nintendo Co. Ltd., a name that we
just got wrong,
and HTC Corp. Our thesis on Nintendo was that with
the aging of the Wii and the limited success of the DS3 handheld
device, investors had become overly negative on the company’s
product cycle.
We thought that sales of the DS3 would improve as
more game titles came to market, but the pace of publication fell
below our expectations, and the stock price deteriorated further. We
sold the position during the quarter.

Hopefully there never will be a non japanese Director for Nintendo, i think is really important for the identity of the company to have a Japanese in control.

Also for now Iwata still seems to be the best fit. i don't know much about the background of Sakurai but i do wonder if someone is at least concedering him to be Iwata's successor.

Didn't really work out for Sony, Olympus and many other Japanese companies though.

I think Ghosn is actually the exception when it come to this foreign CEO saves Japanese company thing.

Wow. Not even close to true. Last year was fantastic for Nintendo. This year was a disaster.

I can agree that last year was fantastic. This year was not a disaster, but it certainly suffered from poor framing of announcements.

Nintendo World Championship was solid fun. The Smash contents and Nindies @ Home campaign gave us at home something to enjoy playing, and when we weren't playing, we could watch Treehouse Live which did a great job as always.

The big issue was the Digital Event, and that was more because they failed to send messages right. Focus less on Yoshi and more on selling us Metroid:FF. Ending on that LetsSuperMario thing was terrible and was this year's Nintendo Land fireworks. Don't do that again, Nintendo. Just don't,

Terrell

JP Morgan invests pretty heavily across most of Japan's gaming industry and has consistently done so for quite some time now.

Hopefully there never will be a non japanese Director for Nintendo, i think is really important for the identity of the company to have a Japanese in control.

Also for now Iwata still seems to be the best fit. i don't know much about the background of Sakurai but i do wonder if someone is at least concedering him to be Iwata's successor.

There's like... what, 11 or 12 Directors on Nintendo's executive board right now. One foreign Director isn't going to end them.

The_Lump

Banned

'True' or 'False' doesn't come into it. He/She is stating His/Her opinion. An opinion i agree with, in fact. Different strokes for different folks.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they touch on the subject of region-locking again.

AdanVC

Not exactly a disaster but rather super weak in terms of content offered. It was a big dissapointment especially coming right after what Sony announced on their Press Conference... we we're expecting huge megatons but we got an Animal Crossing board game that only works if you have amiibo figures. But anyway, the puppets tho. They were awesome!

xaszatm

Banned
That still barely was a drop in the bucket of actual awesome things at this E3. And I don't even need to be a Shenmue or FF7 fan to recognize that, anything else is delusional.

That's still a matter of opinion. I mean, asides from the NWC and Treehouse streams, I enjoyed Fallout and Horizon New Dawn. But I still considered the NWC the highlight of E3.

That's still a matter of opinion. I mean, asides from the NWC and Treehouse streams, I enjoyed Fallout and Horizon New Dawn. But I still considered the NWC the highlight of E3.
Ryu in smash is one of the more exciting things to happen recently as well.

There's like... what, 11 or 12 Directors on Nintendo's executive board right now. One foreign Director isn't going to end them.
In case you missed, i was clearly talking a foreging person assuming Satoru Iwata's role.

Some foreign advisors for technology matters would be fine.

Not really. It's pretty much telling that this E3 has been the E3 of the dreams coming true... except for Nintendo which felt like trolling.

javac

Not really. It's pretty much telling that this E3 has been the E3 of the dreams coming true... except for Nintendo which felt like trolling.

Which is your opinion, and that's fine but its still an opinion. I was falling asleep during the other conferences. This isn't the thread in any case.

Jigorath

Banned

Exactly. Sony, Microsoft, Square, and Bethesda all brought their A-game this year. Nintendo stumbled into E3 drunk as fuck throwing out puppets and Metroid spinoffs no one asked for.

xaszatm

Banned

So...my opinion doesn't count? Because I found all of those "dream come true" things...disappointing. Like I said, my highlight was the NWC. How is this NOT a matter of opinion?

Sunday was incredible with the Smash Direct and NWC. Having actual world class players doing their thing instead of the regurgitated PR BS of most conferences.

Too bad we people have some kind of fish memory, where the latest thing overlaps the previous one XD

Not really. If Iwata now acted like E3 was a success for them, he'd look even more idiotic than usual. Some absolute minority only taking the tournament with them out of this E3 doesn't change that Nintendo almost wasn't even a blip at this E3's radar and the small coverage it got was nothing but bad press.

Not really. If Iwata now acted like E3 was a success for them, he'd look even more idiotic than usual. Some absolute minority only taking the tournament with them out of this E3 doesn't change that Nintendo almost wasn't even a blip at this E3's radar and the small coverage it got was nothing but bad press.
Nintendo got bad press at E3, what happened?

xaszatm

Banned

Well, I don't think they'll be talking about E3 much either because they do seem to have a lot to talk about this shareholder meeting. But please, keep telling me my opinion doesn't matter. It's not like my already low self-esteem can't be kicked down further.

What? No. The direct sucked but everything else was A+. The NWC was also far more entertaining than the Smash Invitational as well.

Last year was fantastic but this year was pretty damn good as well.

It's almost July, if Nintendo is really going to start launching mobile games by the end of this year we should hear more soon.
This is Nintendo. They'll announce and release it at the same time in a random Direct.

I only have a iPod Touch 4th gen on iOS6 so it feels weird knowing I'll probably be locked out of buying a Nintendo game for the first time ever lol.

Well, I don't think they'll be talking about E3 much either because they do seem to have a lot to talk about this shareholder meeting. But please, keep telling me my opinion doesn't matter. It's not like my already low self-esteem can't be kicked down further.

It all goes back to the other guy's statement about how Nintendo had the best E3 and Iwata should mention it, which is ridiculous, plus consensually and strongly disagreed on. There's no way to spin that they've failed at this E3 compared to almost everyone else, regardless of individual opinions of probably the smallest minority.

Kimawolf

Eh E 3 was horrible for everyone but PC players. Sony's announcements of old games and fan paid games isn't exciting, MS conference is boring as usual, PC's conference had some amazing stuff going on.

That being said, Nintendo is in a great position going forward, and has the most potential to shake up things, which is why i hope they reveal something! Their mobile and NX initiative can be something amazing!

Top Bottom