• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 75th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders | June 26, 10 a.m. JST

So...my opinion doesn't count? Because I found all of those "dream come true" things...disappointing. Like I said, my highlight was the NWC. How is this NOT a matter of opinion?

It's your opinion of course... but let's be honest, there's a clear gap between these conferences, just for the sake that they actually listened to people and the Nintendo Digital Event.

ChaosXVI

I'm not really expecting anything significant to come out of this meeting. The biggest bomb that could happen (that most of us already pretty much assume is happening) is that they reveal all major projects have shifted to NX (except Zelda, which is cross-gen), and that is why so few Wii U games were shown.

Next E3 is going to probably be insane...but they could always botch it again.

They should show skip the meeting and send these instead.

puppets.jpg

Oregano

"The reaction to our E3 presence was very strong, particularily amongst our core fans."

Your welcome Iwata, now localise the 3DS Dragon Quest games and we're even.

I'm not really expecting anything significant to come out of this meeting. The biggest bomb that could happen (that most of us already pretty much assume is happening) is that they reveal all major projects have shifted to NX (except Zelda, which is cross-gen), and that is why so few Wii U games were shown.

Next E3 is going to probably be insane...but they could always botch it again.

Well... remember when we though 3rd parties didn't talked about Wii U games because of NDAs ? When we though that Wii's last years were like this because everything was shifted to the next console ?

Yeah... I would be cautious about Nintendo's next E3 even if they show NX. Wii U's first reveal had like no 1st party game revealed, except for New Super Mario Bros Mii which got scraped for NSMB U.

Exactly. Sony, Microsoft, Square, and Bethesda all brought their A-game this year. Nintendo stumbled into E3 drunk as fuck throwing out puppets and Metroid spinoffs no one asked for.

Which I think is a problem with where Nintendo is in their cycle versus where everyone else is. Not saying they didn't disappoint - they absolutely did, but I think they were pretty stuck with what they could do. The big mistake was not showing Zelda, but my suspicion is that they had nothing more to show than last year. I think they made a big open world and then realized there was nothing to do in it, so the only option this year was to not show the game or just show the big open world again.

They should have shown the big open world again.

I think Nintendo's time with these systems is winding down and they've become simultaneously experimental while also being risk-averse and conservative, a combination that is guaranteed to piss off all of your fans eventually. I think this past year has been them testing things out - what if we expand the Mario Kart roster, how would people react to Metroid spinoffs, how will people feel about multiplayer Zelda, what if we made a shooter about paint, how do we spin off Animal Crossing? Some of these things work out, but they packed almost all of the bad ones into one conference.

If they have moved their games to NX like we suspect (or, more likely, Wii U projects weren't started after last summer at all), then they probably just couldn't show anything this year. Sucks for them, just take the L and move on. There's a good chance next year will be great for them and kind of shitty for everyone else if that's the case, too.

But I guess you can never fully write off Nintendo's capacity for disappointment.

jmizzal

Which I think is a problem with where Nintendo is in their cycle versus where everyone else is. Not saying they didn't disappoint - they absolutely did, but I think they were pretty stuck with what they could do. The big mistake was not showing Zelda, but my suspicion is that they had nothing more to show than last year. I think they made a big open world and then realized there was nothing to do in it, so the only option this year was to not show the game or just show the big open world again.

I think Nintendo's time with these systems is winding down and they've become simultaneously experimental while also being risk-averse and conservative, a combination that is guaranteed to piss off all of your fans eventually. I think this past year has been them testing things out - what if we expand the Mario Kart roster, how would people react to Metroid spinoffs, how will people feel about multiplayer Zelda, what if we made a shooter about paint, how do we spin off Animal Crossing? Some of these things work out, but they packed almost all of the bad ones into one conference.

If they have moved their games to NX like we suspect (or, more likely, Wii U projects weren't started after last summer at all), then they probably just couldn't show anything this year. Sucks for them, just take the L and move on. There's a good chance next year will be great for them and kind of shitty for everyone else if that's the case, too.

But I guess you can never fully write off Nintendo's capacity for disappointment.

I think this is the case, they just coudnt show any new big games cuz all are moved to NX, and since they wont show NX until next year, and Zelda is one of those games since they for what ever reason didnt show it at all.

But I do still think Zelda will be Wiiu/NX

Kingven

Now, I have stock in nintendo but purchased through share builder/capital one... but it would be quite awesome to have an actual share (or 50) on legit paper like that... how did you go about getting that?

Well i got that from a site that sell one share from famous companies, oneshare i think was the website..

I would like to buy more so i can have more shares than miyamoto..

Well, that's the big question here. What's the explanation for such an empty line-up ?

1. They could have delayed everything to their next platform and have a strong showing. This is a possibility but that was also said for Wii to Wii U and it didn't happened.

2. They just had nothing and still struggle with developpement.

In any case, next year will answer all of this I think. I also agree that, compared to others, where PS4 and Xbox One are supposed to pick up even higher next year, Wii U and 3DS are both on the edge to be replaced.

I really hope for them that they really delayed games this time and not just being clueless on what to do. It's crazy how slow they can be, really. Goodfeel is a 70 person team I think, and it took more than 2 years for Yoshi to get released. A lot of their games just takes too much time to get released, for a subpar result at times compared to the required developpement time.

I think they're in a better position for development now than they were four years ago. They sacrificed a Monolith studio and Brownie Brown to just become art asset studios. They'll probably need to do that to one or two other studios (I expect Alpha Dream will end up like that) to keep up the pace.

Though, honestly, they need to fix the third party problem first. Nintendo's publishing, what, 12 games this year? Some years they're higher. They're the most active and prolific publisher in the industry. But it feels like nothing because they're the only publisher on the Wii U and one of the few big ones left on 3DS.

Even ports will make it feel a little less empty. Being an owner of just Nintendo systems is like playing Dark Souls 2 in an area where you've soul despawned every enemy there and only bosses remain.

I really hope for them that they really delayed games this time and not just being clueless on what to do. It's crazy how slow they can be, really. Goodfeel is a 70 person team I think, and it took more than 2 years for Yoshi to get released. A lot of their games just takes too much time to get released, for a subpar result at times compared to the required developpement time.

Yoshi is not the only game that Good Feel has worked on since starting Yoshi (they've launched a FB card game, Mii Force, and Battleground Z). I mean, those aren't exactly resource intensive projects, necessarily, but coupled with the fact that Yoshi seems like it was still in a prototype stage when it was announced in 2013 and it doesn't seem so bad.

I think they're in a better position for development now than they were four years ago. They sacrificed a Monolith studio and Brownie Brown to just become art asset studios. They'll probably need to do that to one or two other studios (I expect Alpha Dream will end up like that) to keep up the pace.

Though, honestly, they need to fix the third party problem first. Nintendo's publishing, what, 12 games this year? Some years they're higher. They're the most active and prolific publisher in the industry. But it feels like nothing because they're the only publisher on the Wii U and one of the few big ones left on 3DS.

Even ports will make it feel a little less empty. Being an owner of just Nintendo systems is like playing Dark Souls 2 in an area where you've soul despawned every enemy there and only bosses remain.

Pretty much this. They've got around 9 Wii U games they're publishing at retail in NA this year (11, depending on the fates of Fatal Frame and Devil's Third) and around 7 retail 3DS games, plus whatever they've launched on the eShop (Tipping Stars, Pushmo, etc) and it feels like less because of what you said, plus probably because quite a few are spin-offs (amiibo Festival, for example) or less popular games (Fossil Fighters).

Pokemaniac

Well, that's the big question here. What's the explanation for such an empty line-up ?

1. They could have delayed everything to their next platform and have a strong showing. This is a possibility but that was also said for Wii to Wii U and it didn't happened.

2. They just had nothing and still struggle with developpement.

In any case, next year will answer all of this I think. I also agree that, compared to others, where PS4 and Xbox One are supposed to pick up even higher next year, Wii U and 3DS are both on the edge to be replaced.

I think that a big reason the WIi -> Wii U transition happened like it did was that they needed to devote tons of resources to saving the 3DS right at the time that they should have been developing Wii U software.

Which was a terrible imo. They should have built new studios, not transforming existing ones. Their management of Wii and DS money has been a total disaster for long term strategy imo.
Also, I doubt they'll ever fix their 3rd party problem for two reasons:
1. It will require a lot of work and money to get ports of multiplat games... that would be better spent elsewhere.
2. Even if they had all the ports... I don't see a lot of people switching to Nintendo platforms to play these games. The audience isn't here, the infrastructure will likely be missing too.

Yoshi is not the only game that Good Feel has worked on since starting Yoshi (they've launched a FB card game, Mii Force, and Battleground Z). I mean, those aren't exactly resource intensive projects, necessarily, but coupled with the fact that Yoshi seems like it was still in a prototype stage when it was announced in 2013 and it doesn't seem so bad.

True ! Although, considering the result, I'm not really convinced to be fair :/

I think that a big reason the WIi -> Wii U transition happened like it did was that they needed to devote tons of resources to saving the 3DS right at the time that they should have been developing Wii U software.

Indeed ! That's why I think their management has been a total disaster. It's like they discovered that their next handheld would eat up as much ressources as their previous home consoles... and that their next home console would eat up even more.

Jintor

solution: stop dying to nintendo games

The idea of Nintendo Consoles as Boss Rush consoles is moderately amusing though

jmizzal

Also HD struggles, which wont be the case for NX since they are use to HD now and all games will work across the board

Pokemaniac

Which was a terrible imo. They should have built new studios, not transforming existing ones. Their management of Wii and DS money has been a total disaster for long term strategy imo.

True ! Although, considering the result, I'm not really convinced to be fair :/

Indeed ! That's why I think their management has been a total disaster. It's like they discovered that their next handheld would eat up as much ressources as their previous home consoles... and that their next home console would eat up even more.

They seem to be taking steps specifically to mitigate that this time, though. Pretty much every detail they've announced about NX so far seems designed to address a problem that Nintendo currently has.

Which was a terrible imo. They should have built new studios, not transforming existing ones.

Ehhh, I disagree. Expansion is much, much slower. They announced expansion plans before the Wii U came out and are still in the process. That's not just Nintendo slow, that's how long it takes to get decent people. Asset generation isn't grunt work, it also requires artistry and experience. Just because they're not making Ico doesn't mean a studio of college grads can do it as well as a studio that already knows how to run.

It was a necessary sacrifice that had to happen to get the Wii U games they did out.

Ehhh, I disagree. Expansion is much, much slower. They announced expansion plans before the Wii U came out and are still in the process. That's not just Nintendo slow, that's how long it takes to get decent people. Asset generation isn't grunt work, it also requires artistry and experience. Just because they're not making Ico doesn't mean a studio of college grads can do it as well as a studio that already knows how to run.

It was a necessary sacrifice that had to happen to get the Wii U games they did out.

Buy out is also an option. Which was Monolith Soft, one of their best studio. But yeah, considering the time it took them... I really hope this will show results next generation.

They seem to be taking steps specifically to mitigate that this time, though. Pretty much every detail they've announced about NX so far seems designed to address a problem that Nintendo currently has.

Well, I'm still cautious about Nintendo's "we learned our mistakes". They claimed 3DS was too expensive and had too much droughts... that they wont repeat that... to repeat this with Wii U. :/

Which was a terrible imo. They should have built new studios, not transforming existing ones.

The Monolith Studio in Kyoto that provides assets for EAD teams was brand new for the purpose. It's not much, but it's something.

-

They also have a 'problem' that a lot of their partners are quite small and haven't really grown with time. Companies like Alpha Dream, Skip Ltd, Ambrella ... they're not really big enough to meet consumer expectations of retail games any more, or probably won't be next gen without expanding.

Plus, some of their 1st party studios aren't doing crash hot lately, either. NST is basically a Mario vs. Donkey Kong factory, while ND Cube should be taking a long hard look at themselves now that Mario Party 10 has already been outsold by Splatoon by nearly double, at least in Japan.

In any given year for the last 10 years, at least, 1/5 to 1/3 of the games Nintendo publishes falls into the extended Mario or Pokemon universes. That might also be something to look at moving forward, too.

The Monolith Studio in Kyoto that provides assets for EAD teams was brand new for the purpose. It's not much, but it's something.

-

They also have a 'problem' that a lot of their partners are quite small and haven't really grown with time. Companies like Alpha Dream, Skip Ltd, Ambrella ... they're not really big enough to meet consumer expectations any more.

Plus, some of their 1st party studios aren't doing crash hot lately, either. NST is basically a Mario vs. Donkey Kong factory, while ND Cube should be taking a long hard look at themselves now that Mario Party 10 has already been outsold by Splatoon by nearly double, at least in Japan.

Wasn't Monolith Kyoto another Monolith team before ? With the Baten Kaitos director or something ?

And yes, I agree, they seem to have a lot of small teams... that didn't expanded. Teams that were relegated to handheld projects or small home consoles projects... but it doesn't seem they can keep up at a good pace now that hardware are more demanding.

Pokemaniac

Buy out is also an option. Which was Monolith Soft, one of their best studio. But yeah, considering the time it took them... I really hope this will show results next generation.

Well, I'm still cautious about Nintendo's "we learned our mistakes". They claimed 3DS was too expensive and had too much droughts... that they wont repeat that... to repeat this with Wii U. :/

I'm pretty sure that by the time they were saying that about the 3DS, it was already too late to really save the Wii U.

I think the smart thing to do would be to pull the designers off asset teams to direct games occasionally. Kind of like how they absorbed Flagship and then used the director to make console Zelda.

People might recoil at the idea, but in some ways, Nintendo could stand to work a bit more like Ubisoft.

KingBroly

Banned

I feel like NX is going to help them in a lot areas, and I do think it will get third parties to give Nintendo a bit more leeway, at least with yearly titles. I also think Japanese publishers are going to look at it as a way to get their big console titles on handhelds/mobile without much re-working, which they are probably salivating at.

Assuming, of course, NX is 2 systems and allows developers to go to consoles, handhelds or both without much extra effort.

Mononoke

Banned

I still am not sure how exactly they solve this third party problem. I mean, let's be realistic, if Nintendo wants to compete in the next gen space, they would have a hard time trying to compete against the PS4/X1 directly. Especially since those two companies already have the market carved out w/ a big headstart. I've seen some people suggest that Nintendo needs to make a console as strong as the PS4 at $300-350 price. But that just seems insane to me.

For one, I'm not entirely sure that the 3rd Party problem will get fixed, if it's an issue of demographics (meaning, Nintendo's core audience doesn't give a shit about AAA Multiplats). So that basically means Nintendo would have to reach beyond the core. Which means they have to get the consumer that hasn't bought an X1 or PS4 yet, or get the consumer that owns a PS4 or X1. IMO the consumer that hasn't bought either system, isn't really an option, as I think most of these consumers will have friends that already have one of the more popular systems. Among other things, PS4/X1 are still a proven platform.

So IMO, I think Nintendo needs to come in cheap at $200, and compete in the space of being a "complimentary" device and focus on the consumer that already owns and X1 or PS4. Cheap enough that PS4/X1 consumers feel they can buy the system, on top of their main gaming machine. I feel the $300-350 price range is much too high, and would be a big weight for the NX. Just me though.

I'm not sure the 3rd Party issue will ever get solved. I mean, I guess if Nintendo makes a system 1:1 PS4 (which I'm not saying they will, just using it for argument sake)...then okay, maybe 3rd party devs would at least release games digitally on their platform. If it's easy enough to port over it, why not. But I still think even if that happened, I'm not seeing consumers flocking to buy the NX because now it has 3rd party support. And I'm still not entirely sure that Nintendo's core would support 3rd Party titles enough to keep them going along. Nintendo would need to heavily court these devs.

It seems that Nintendo is going to try to sell the NX as being a unified system w/ their new OS/E-shop, where you can play games across the NX and a future handheld device (the follow up to the 3Ds). But I'm not so sure that this is a major selling point that will get people to flock either. But I do think it's the right direction. And I think it also helps solve the content problem if they want to continue to support two platforms. But I'm really not sold on them going in at a high price. And I still question whether a high powered system would even sole the problem.

Pokemaniac

Maybe not for the games... but for the price, I think it was.

They were already taking a loss at the Wii U's launch price. What were they supposed to do? I don't think they really wanted to get into a situation like Sony had at the beginning of last gen where they were literally losing hundreds of dollars for every PS3 sold.

Wasn't Monolith Kyoto another Monolith team before ? With the Baten Kaitos director or something ?

And yes, I agree, they seem to have a lot of small teams... that didn't expanded. Teams that were relegated to handheld projects or small home consoles projects... but it doesn't seem they can keep up at a good pace now that hardware are more demanding.

Honne and a couple of other people from the Tokyo Studios moved over to the new Kyoto Studio, but most of the staff was brand new.

Scum

I want to see NCL work with studios within big AAA publishers that'd provide the titles that will sit so well with their titles. Studios like Ubisoft Montpellier. The lack of a ZombiU 1.5/ZombiU sequel published by Nintendo is an utter travesty. :<

I still am not sure how exactly they solve this third party problem. I mean, let's be realistic, if Nintendo wants to compete in the next gen space, they would have a hard time trying to compete against the PS4/X1 directly. Especially since those two companies already have the market carved out w/ a big headstart. I've seen some people suggest that Nintendo needs to make a console as strong as the PS4 at $300-350 price. But that just seems insane to me.

For one, I'm not entirely sure that the 3rd Party problem will get fix, if it's an issue of demographics (meaning, Nintendo's core audience doesn't give a shit about AAA Multiplats). So that basically means Nintendo would have to reach beyond the core. Which means they have to get the consumer that hasn't bought an X1 or PS4 yet, or get the consumer that owns a PS4 or X1. IMO the consumer that hasn't bought either system, isn't really an option, as I think most of these consumers will have friends that already have one of the more popular systems. Among other things, PS4/X1 are still a proven platform.

So IMO, I think Nintendo needs to come in cheap at $200, and compete in the space of being a "complimentary" device. Cheap enough that PS4/X1 feel they can buy the system, on top of their main gaming machine. I feel the $300-350 price range is much too high, and would be a big weight for the NX. Just me though.

Anyways, I'm not sure the 3rd Party issue will ever get solved. I mean, I guess if Nintendo makes a system 1:1 PS4 (which I'm not saying they will, just using it for argument sake)...then okay, maybe 3rd party devs would at least release games digitally on their platform. If it's easy enough to port over it, why not. But I still think even if that happened, I'm not seeing consumers flocking to buy the NX because now it has 3rd party support. I dunno.

It seems that Nintendo is going to try to sell the NX as being a unified system w/ their new OS/E-shop, where you can play games across the NX and a future handheld device (the follow up to the 3Ds). But I'm not so sure that this is a major selling point that will get people to flock either. But I do think it's the right direction. And I think it also helps solve the content problem if they want to continue to support two platforms.

Yeah, I agree. They're better at being "their own thing". Correct the price and the droughts, and it should be okay. More partnerships and exclusives. Also more spectacular or epic titles, less smaller scale games. More new IP and fresh games like Splatoon.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
This is how the meeting will go.

Nintendo: We have impressive new software to show on the NX-
Shareholder: PORT MARIO TO IPHONES ALREADY!
Nintendo: But we can't do that...
Shareholder: Then give me back my money!

Even without third parties, there are a number of things they could and should be doing to fill the gaps in between bigger releases, yet aren't: more robust and frequent VC releases, more than one GC/Wii HD remaster, etc.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah, I agree. They're better at being "their own thing". Correct the price and the droughts, and it should be okay. More partnerships and exclusives. Also more spectacular or epic titles, less smaller scale games. More new IP and fresh games like Splatoon.

Yeah I should have added that to my post. But what I also wanted to say is, Nintendo needs to just focus on what is great about them - and that's being Nintendo. And I do think that by them focusing on their unified OS system, they are doing that. They are cleaning up their own platform, and making it alluring to consumers. Like we are fuckin Nintendo, and check out how amazing our platform now is, how accessible it is (of course they still have issues of actual content, but maybe this unification thing will ease up on that).

I just think that + a lower price, makes more sense. I just can't see them directly competing against the X1/PS4. Doesn't make sense to me. That said, maybe I am wrong, and the unified thing will sell people on the system, and get people to flock in droves. I 100% think it's the right move, and I am so happy they are doing it. Because I truly believe the Nintendo platform is worth investing in.

But yeah, still at a loss at how they even attempt to fix their 3rd party problem, and if it's even possible. Because I still feel like, even if they made a high powered console, you have an issue of demographics possibly, and then getting 3rd Party devs to stick around, as the system needs to grow its userbase to get more people from outside the core, so that those 3rd party titles start selling.

Even without third parties, there are a number of things they could and should be doing to fill the gaps in between bigger releases, yet aren't: more robust and frequent VC releases, more than one GC/Wii HD remaster, etc.

I don't think VC releases should do that job. VC should be already huge on day one. Same for GC/Wii HD remasters.

Although localizations are something they should do more frequently to counter this.

Yeah I should have added that to my post. But what I also wanted to say is, Nintendo needs to just focus on what is great about them - and that's being Nintendo. And I do think that by them focusing on their unified OS system, they are doing that. They are cleaning up their own platform, and making it alluring to consumers. Like we are fuckin Nintendo, and check out how amazing our platform now is, how accessible it is (of course they still have issues of actual content, but maybe this unification thing will ease up on that).

I just think that + a lower price, makes more sense. I just can't see them directly competing against the X1/PS4. Doesn't make sense to me. That said, maybe I am wrong, and the unified thing will sell people on the system, and get people to flock in droves. I 100% think it's the right move, and I am so happy they are doing it. Because I truly believe the Nintendo platform is worth investing in.

But yeah, still at a loss at how they even attempt to fix their 3rd party problem, and if it's even possible.

About unified systems... I'm still cautious on that matter. It will depend on which politic Nintendo will adopt for such ecosystem. Considering the path they're taking already (aka amiibos, dlc prices or even making people pay a dollar to use their 3DS as a controller for SSB), I wouldn't expect a consumer friendly ecosystem.

They will never get the EAs, the Ubisofts, the Square Enix, the Namco Bandais, etc back onto their consoles. Traditional console third parties are done. Noone buys Nintendo consoles for third party anymore.

What they might be doing now is trying to get the SuperCells, GungHo, LINE, and DeNA publishers onto their new platform.

Mononoke

Banned
They will never get the EAs, the Ubisofts, the Square Enix, the Namco Bandais, etc back onto their consoles. Traditional console third parties are done. Noone buys Nintendo consoles for third party anymore.

What they might be doing now is trying to get the SuperCells, GungHo, LINE, and DeNA publishers onto their new platform.

Pretty much how I feel.

I don't think VC releases should do that job. VC should be already huge on day one. Same for GC/Wii HD remasters.

About unified systems... I'm still cautious on that matter. It will depend on which politic Nintendo will adopt for such ecosystem. Considering the path they're taking already (aka amiibos, dlc prices or even making people pay a dollar to use their 3DS as a controller for SSB), I wouldn't expect a consumer friendly ecosystem.

Well interesting point. I guess I'm a little too optimistic on that front. Hah.

thefro

All those companies except for EA are releasing games on 3DS and/or Wii U

But cell phones do the majority of that business. So nintendo gets a small piece of the action. Its not much of a replacement for triple a third party titles.

I don't feel like Namco Bandai left, considering their 3DS output. Same for the relationship they have with the company.

As for the last comment... I don't see what good that would do. People can already get these publishers on even the cheapest android phone available.

For one, I'm not entirely sure that the 3rd Party problem will get fix, if it's an issue of demographics (meaning, Nintendo's core audience doesn't give a shit about AAA Multiplats). So that basically means Nintendo would have to reach beyond the core. Which means they have to get the consumer that hasn't bought an X1 or PS4 yet, or get the consumer that owns a PS4 or X1. IMO the consumer that hasn't bought either system, isn't really an option, as I think most of these consumers will have friends that already have one of the more popular systems. Among other things, PS4/X1 are still a proven platform.

So IMO, I think Nintendo needs to come in cheap at $200, and compete in the space of being a "complimentary" device. Cheap enough that PS4/X1 feel they can buy the system, on top of their main gaming machine. I feel the $300-350 price range is much too high, and would be a big weight for the NX. Just me though.

Anyways, I'm not sure the 3rd Party issue will ever get solved. I mean, I guess if Nintendo makes a system 1:1 PS4 (which I'm not saying they will, just using it for argument sake)...then okay, maybe 3rd party devs would at least release games digitally on their platform. If it's easy enough to port over it, why not. But I still think even if that happened, I'm not seeing consumers flocking to buy the NX because now it has 3rd party support. I dunno.

It seems that Nintendo is going to try to sell the NX as being a unified system w/ their new OS/E-shop, where you can play games across the NX and a future handheld device (the follow up to the 3Ds). But I'm not so sure that this is a major selling point that will get people to flock either. But I do think it's the right direction. And I think it also helps solve the content problem if they want to continue to support two platforms.
To be clear, without a major revolution, I don't think Nintendo can ever solve the third party problem. At least not the same way Sony and Microsoft currently enjoy third parties, anyway.

I think what they're rumored to be doing with android emulation is smart. I know people are going to turn up their noses at it, but if it works, if it gets Amazon's games on their systems as well, then it will solve problems. Their issue isn't "How do I get EA on this system?" EA doesn't care, they never will, they're not going to be an attractive place for EA to put games even if they launched at the same time and with the same hardware. The issue is that being an owner of a Nintendo console means you just have to accept there isn't a new game for you when you want to play one. This feeling compounds and compounds until it's simply not worth it to buy one.

Honestly I think Nintendo should get on board with streaming Android games on their system and streaming an entire VC library in a Netflix style. But those are bandaids and not fixes.

To be clear, without a major revolution, I don't think Nintendo can ever solve the third party problem. At least not the same way Sony and Microsoft currently enjoy third parties, anyway.

I think what they're rumored to be doing with android emulation is smart. I know people are going to turn up their noses at it, but if it works, if it gets Amazon's games on their systems as well, then it will solve problems. Their issue isn't "How do I get EA on this system?" EA doesn't care, they never will, they're not going to be an attractive place for EA to put games even if they launched at the same time and with the same hardware. The issue is that being an owner of a Nintendo console means you just have to accept there isn't a new game for you when you want to play one. This feeling compounds and compounds until it's simply not worth it to buy one.

Honestly I think Nintendo should get on board with streaming Android games on their system and streaming an entire VC library in a Netflix style. But those are bandaids and not fixes.

Well, Nintendo's 3rd party problem would be to get the 3rd party games.... and to get people to buy these games on their platform. It won't happen anymore, unless they are big exclusives.

The best 3rd party support Nintendo wants to get is exclusives partnerships, like with PG or TK.

As for VC streaming... it's a bad idea I think, considering how their library up to N64 is at most 64 mb games. It makes no sense to stream that.

Top Bottom