• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's next generation strategy - why the "Super generation" begins now

From the OP's previous thread:

I will bet ANYONE here I have an incredible grasp as to what the "new" Nintendo controller or interface is going to be, but you would probably go on laughing at my theory, so wtf, why not give you the low down.

Think of a more basic smaller version of a Tablet PC. Almost like a touch screen PDA device, with wifi, voice recognition and a cpu (possibly same used in DS) for gfx displays and text etc.. The touch screen pda can be used to draw, select menus and screens, for example, a game show type game in which each person has their own pda like screen and a game like mario party asks you to draw what is on the screen, and the person with the closest matching drawing wins the round etc.. it can go waaay beyond this but it allows for games to be incredible easy and intuitive. No f'ing buttons to get confused with, leave that for the STANDARD gamecube controller which I beleive the Rev. will ship with and the pda like device for games completely geared for that new type of gaming device, which imo is incredible because there are no limitations to how you want to represent your game. It will also of course feature voice recognition, they already proved how intuitive and creative you can get with Nintendogs, and considering the massive sales that game had on a system that has recenely come out, you can gurantee Nintendo is going to use this as an example of creating a different market.

forget the whole gyro thing, it's not going to happen and imo doesn't make things "simpiler", it makes it more complex when you think about it.

Think of DS but with a bigger single touch screen along with everything else DS has to offer. Think of how EASY this will be for Nintendo to implement considering they already have a perfect working template "DS" It's right in front of our eyes, yet no one thought about it. Even Nintendo dropped hints as to why the Rev will differ from the rest and DS was being used as an example. Everything fits with their philosophy regarding my theory. From cost of producing this device thanks to DS already being a success and people who have a DS will see the similarity when Revolution comes out and say, "wow I really love how easy it is to play games on my DS, this looks very similar" to a device which really doesn't make people who are new to gaming uncomfortable.

Well there you have it, the secret unveiled. This will come to fruitation, I gurantee it.

HOLY FUCK GAMEBOYA! You better have gone off and made the fucking ipad after this!

For me, its the opposite. The OP is right except about the graphics. Nintendo don't invest enough to have a machine that make the others 2 looks outdated.

He knows how to predict better than a lot of analysts of this industry. Kudos to him.
Yea this is my first time seeing this and Im pretty shocked.

Terrell

An aspect you missed to their strategy: usin software to create a bridge between casual and hardcore. Growth in previous generations happened because bridge content existed. Mario 64 was the 2D-3D bridge for instance. But to cement their casual base, they'll want to convert as many of them to core gamers as they can.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well well, what have we got here...!

It's interesting to see in retrospect how things have panned out after 2.5 years from the original post. I think "schizophrenic" is the only way to describe Nintendo's current state with Wii U.

Nintendo's "strategy" now is a weird mess of casual and core, non-committal to anything

Wii U is the most powerful console on the market when it comes out...
... but just for a year

Wii U targets core gamers with gamer franchises featuring new innovations added in (Batman AC, AC3)
... but they are not different enough to compel players to switch

Wii U introduces a completely new console controller paradigm, just like Wii...
... but it's complex and non-casual with a lot of buttons, sticks, sensors etc.

Wii U focuses on casual multiplayer in the living room, just like Wii...
... but it's of an asymmetric variety that's hard to grasp for casuals

I'm afraid I can't write anything as coherent as the original post after actually learning what Nintendo is doing.

Teknoman

I'll say that alot of "casual" gamers seem wowed when I tell them about moving their game from the TV to the controller screen.

Well well, what have we got here...!

It's interesting to see in retrospect how things have panned out after 2.5 years from the original post. I think "schizophrenic" is the only way to describe Nintendo's current state with Wii U.

Nintendo's "strategy" now is a weird mess of casual and core, non-committal to anything

Wii U is the most powerful console on the market when it comes out...
... but just for a year

Wii U targets core gamers with gamer franchises featuring new innovations added in (Batman AC, AC3)
... but they are not different enough to compel players to switch

Wii U introduces a completely new console controller paradigm, just like Wii...
... but it's complex and non-casual with a lot of buttons, sticks, sensors etc.

Wii U focuses on casual multiplayer in the living room, just like Wii...
... but it's of an asymmetric variety that's hard to grasp for casuals

I'm afraid I can't write anything as coherent as the original post after actually learning what Nintendo is doing.

Most telling about this was Iwata's pre-E3 Nintendo Direct conference, in which they literally said "it's something old and it's something new". It's new, unless you don't want new, then it's just like the Wii from 6 years ago. Unless you didn't like the Wii from 6 years ago, in which case it's totally new. It's also got stuff for core gamers! Unless you're a casual, then it's a casual-friendly console! Unless you don't like casual gaming consoles, in which case it's totally a core gaming console!

Truth be told I think they're deathly afraid of the WiiU's performance this holiday. Their complete lack of a strong direction either way makes it really clear they don't know what to do.

Top Bottom