• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. for 3DS National Open Tournament

ProphessorX

Neo Member
Rosalina you so dirty girl. And boring. Where's that fan art popping up showing her as the monster she is? Seriously, has anyone gotten her down past 2 stock remaining?

Maybe if Luma didn't regenerate like with the Ice Climbers. It would be more of an incentive to focus on separating and taking out Luma. As it is, Rosalina can keep her distance and just wait to pull out another.

Unbounded

I don't really have trouble against Rosalina with WFT, but maybe I'm not playing good ones.

Whenever I lose to a Rosalina it's cause I screwed up and/or was unaware that her B is a kill move.. I'm usually able to get rid of Luma pretty easily with DK.

It's definitely a matchup sorta thing.

Corgi

Banned
dont know about OP status yet, but mario definitely seems like a poor matchup in terms of attack range, recovery.

what is a good matchup against rosalina? hmmm

Has Smash ever had a puppet character like this before? I think it's going to be a while until people find a way to deal with Rosalina.

smash hasn't ever had a space controlling character like rosa ever. They had zoners but nothing that controls a specific area of space like rosa.

Most people who are saying shes op for
1) being 2 characters
2) having strong attacks
3) turning invisible
4) having teleports
and etc should be straight up ignored. I honestly think the fact that you can't grab her if luma is near is pretty dumb but that was a design decision (hell it even tells you that tip in the loading screen). I think none of the reasons above are the reasons why she is strong. There are a little nuances here and there that imo. give her an advantage on top of being a puppet character. Luma respawning is fine, but 8 sec for the amount of coverage he does is too small. I honestly think 10-12 should be fine. 10 seconds is a long time in a fighting game.

Most smash only players probably won't figure her out, and espcially the scrubs/casuals.

dont know about OP status yet, but mario definitely seems like a poor matchup in terms of attack range, recovery.

what is a good matchup against rosalina? hmmm

I've had success with characters like bowser/little mac who have fast tilts/dash attacks that can instantly KO Luma with one connection. Once you knock away the Luma you can get a bunch of good hits on Rosalina usually and repeat the process when it respawns.

Azure J

Fuck yeah Rosalina.

Fuck yeah New York, NY

Nah but for real, that down smash segment was hilarious. Didn't realize that the Rockettes made Smash appearances.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Has Smash ever had a puppet character like this before? I think it's going to be a while until people find a way to deal with Rosalina.

Not really, Ice Climbers are the closest thing and Nana was more of a liability than Luma, since it regenerates so quickly while Nana never came back until you lost the stock.

The only nerf I'd give Rosalina is make Luma's respawn time a bit longer. I don't think Luma should be as throw-away as it is since you can let it eat all sorts of damage or just ignore it for a while/let it die, but still reliably have it when you need it.

Neo Dark

Why is USA chanted when Mario lost?

Really wish they had at least one location per state for people to qualify for this tournament.

smash hasn't ever had a space controlling character like rosa ever. They had zoners but nothing that controls a specific area of space like rosa.

Most people who are saying shes op for
1) being 2 characters
2) strong attacks
3) turns invisible
4) has teleports
and etc should be straight up ignored. I honestly think the fact that you can't grab her if luma is near is pretty dumb but that was a design decision (hell it even tells you that tip in the loading screen). I think none of the reasons above are the reasons why she is strong. There are a little nuances here and there that imo. give her an advantage on top of being a puppet character. Luma respawning is fine, but 8 sec for the amount of coverage he does is too small. I honestly think 10-12 should be fine. 10 seconds is a long time in a fighting game.

Most smash only players probably won't figure her out, and espcially the scrubs/casuals.

I think Luma respawn at 8 sec is way too short. Needs 12-15 or it needs to die faster. I also think the roll should not be invisible, that's honestly really dumb as well. You can't react as fast to an invisible roll which makes players have to guess. No character should have gotten that ability. Other than that I think she's aight.

honestly, I wonder how rosa would be if they tied the upB being reliant on having luma on the field. 8 secs of no recovery move? pretty fucking ass but might be fair with testing.

I think Luma respawn at 8 sec is way too short. Needs 12-15 or it needs to die faster. I also think the roll should not be invisible, that's honestly really dumb as well. You can't react as fast to an invisible roll which makes players have to guess. No character should have gotten that ability. Other than that I think she's aight.

15 sec is way to long. 15 sec might not seem much when you aren't playing a fighting game but man, 15 sec of not having your biggest tools sucksssss. I want to see if losing up+b if luma is gone would make it fair. 8 secs of no recovery move? yeahhhhh

Corgi

Banned
I've had success with characters like bowser/little mac who have fast tilts/dash attacks that can instantly KO Luma with one connection. Once you knock away the Luma you can get a bunch of good hits on Rosalina usually and repeat the process when it respawns.
makes sense. weirdly enough ive yet to find a rosalina at all in for Glory.

think the issue here, is unlike ice climbers, rosalina seems to be a fiarly decent character herself without luma as well. Strong quick moves with really wacky hitboxes.

I'd like to see Luma take longer to respawn, or for Rosalina to take a flat amount of damage every time the Luma dies.

would be dumb outside 1v1. in FFA or doubles, she would straight up die. She would be total ass because she would be the easiest one to KO by far.

honestly, I wonder how rosa would be if they tied the upB being reliant on having luma on the field. 8 secs of no recovery move? pretty fucking ass but might be fair with testing.

15 sec is way to long. 15 sec might not seem much when you aren't playing a fighting game but man, 15 sec of not having your biggest tools sucksssss. I want to see if losing up+b if luma is gone would make it fair. 8 secs of no recovery move? yeahhhhh

Again, the game hasn't been out long so people still need to figure it out I agree but from watching this tourney the Luma did not seem gone for long. Granted, this Mario did not try to disable Luma much which may have been the issue. 8 secs is way to short considering the toolset that Rosalina has though. I also don't think Rosalina recovery was what people were having trouble containing either. Rosalina without Luma isn't worthless which is the main issue as well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I think that would be a bit much.

Really, my opinion is just that the Rosalina player should have to think about Luma. Do you want Luma to be your meatshield? Okay, but when it gets KO'd that means you are going to be punished by not having Luma for a while (more than 8 seconds for sure). Do you want to send it out to do attacks? Okay, but it's not going to take damage for you. As it is, Luma reliably does both and within the rules of Smash I think that's a bit much.

Rosalina is a completely competent character even without Luma, dramatically more than Popo, who didn't get Nana back until he lost his stock. Even 15 seconds wouldn't severely hurt her. 20 wouldn't be unfair (in Melee it might, but Smash 4 stocks last a lot longer).

Corgi

Banned
would be dumb outside 1v1. in FFA or doubles, she would straight up die. She would be total ass because she would be the easiest one to KO by far.

yeah.

would make more sense if she takes a 50% or so damage decrease or something for those 8 seconds.

It's interesting that unlike all the other new characters in this game with different pros and cons, i can't really think of any cons of Rosalina.

she's fine herself, and luuma just makes her great.

trixx

Polo had no up+b when Nana was gone which was very harsh

Anyways yeah I agree with the sentiment that its still a bit too early to judge. Dabuz played well.

Top Bottom