• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh 2 story trailer | Post-launch DLC announced

Mista

Banned

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Team Ninja have released the official story trailer and announced post-launch downloadable content plans for Nioh 2.

In Nioh 2, players will journey to 1555 feudal Japan, “a country gripped in the misery and madness of endless warfare,” and play as a mute rogue living as a hired mercenary and renowned Yokai hunter. Born to and abandoned by human and Yokai parents, you are burdened with the ability to take on supernatural Yokai form.

Here is an overview of the story and post-launch downloadable content plans, via PlayStation Blog:
Story

A war-torn realm haunted by evil spirits…

It is the Warring States period in Japan. The year is 1555. Never-ending warfare has transformed the nation into a land of chaos infested by demonic yokai, evil spirits who feed upon their victims.

It is in this setting of relentless mayhem that we meet our protagonist, a rogue mercenary hunting down yokai in the Mino Province. This demon hunter hides a terrible secret: they are a half-breed, the orphan offspring of both human and yokai blood. Unable to find a place amongst mankind, our demon hunter journeys alone.

Calamity strikes one day as our protagonist loses control of their own yokai power while battling against a ferocious fiend. However, the dire situation is remedied by a wandering merchant by the name of Toukichiro who sells strange “Spirit Stones”; magic—imbued artifacts that can help the wielder communicate with yokai spirits. Our demon hunter regains control of their demonic persona.

From there on, the two decide to combine their abilities and set out together to find more of the powerful Spirit Stones, their quest being funded by an influential warlord to track down the artifacts to ensure they’re reserved for proper use.

Their mission is cut short by an attack from someone – or something – also seeking the stones. They escape thanks to the help of a yokai huntswoman named Mumyo, and the three find refuge in the Owari Province, eventually ending up in the service of the great Oda Nobunaga.

But their future plans will be short-lived and they will once more come face to face with diabolical forces who also seek the remaining Spirit Stones. The stage is set for this epic saga of our half-breed yokai hunter- “Hideyoshi”.

Post-Launch Downloadable Content

We have three major downloadable content releases planned, with each focusing on a different storyline that pre-dates the events of Nioh 2, promising hours of additional gameplay that will provide plenty of challenge for those thirsting for more.

Similar to the original Nioh, players can expect new weapons, new combat abilities and new characters, with each downloadable content incorporating both multiple main and sub-missions.

The three downloadable content packs are included in Nioh 2’s Season Pass, which forms part of the game’s Digital Deluxe Edition (now available for pre-order). In addition to the main game and downloadable content, you’ll also get premium in-game items such as the Demon Horde armor set and Kodama Netsuke Charm.

For players who purchase the Nioh 2 Special Edition, in addition to the main game and Season Pass, you’ll receive an exclusive SteelBook case and “The Art of Nioh 2” booklet.
Gematsu

Last edited:

mejin

ConfusedAnnualGermanpinscher-small.gif

VertigoOA

Banned
Day one.

Nioh was a huge surprise for me. Loved the combat. Loved the stances. Loved the difficulty. Appreciated the linear design. They took the souls formula and made it as deep as fighter.

I’m going in blind. Should be a good time.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Day one.

Nioh was a huge surprise for me. Loved the combat. Loved the stances. Loved the difficulty. Appreciated the linear design. They took the souls formula and made it as deep as fighter.

I’m going in blind. Should be a good time.
Same here. I missed the beta. Avoided gameplay streams.

Day one for me instantly though. One of the best combat systems ever made.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Same voice actor as Iosefka from Bloodborne, or am I mistaken?

Still JP audio for me. No doubt.

EDIT: On reflection, wrong FROM game. Same voice as Dusk of Oolacile from Dark Souls.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Looks fantastic. glad they have a character creator in it now. beta seemed a little unbalanced, but it sounds like the devs are taking some of that feedback and correcting. put 75 hours in first one and about 20 hours into the dlc. the DLC was extremely tough for me.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
No:messenger_beaming:

Japanese games must be played with Japanese audio. After all its the best way to experience the game imo
Depends. Valkyria Chronicles is set in "Europe" and the English voice acting is significantly better. Dragonball Z is significantly better in English.

There are exceptions for me, especially if the game is blatantly medieval western in setting.

Anything set in Japan though like Yakuza, Persona, Sekiro, etc. seems like a no brainer to immediately switch to Japanese audio.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No:messenger_beaming:

Japanese games must be played with Japanese audio. After all its the best way to experience the game imo
Well that depends, games with Japanese setting I would play with Japanese voices even western game like Ghost of Tsushima I will with play it with Japanese voices because its setting and there are Japanese games like NieR that have absolutely excellent English voices.

Last edited:

Isa

Super excited for this one. I really liked the betas, and can't wait to see what the full game entails. I just wish it released sooner, because its going to get crowded mid march for me. Reminds me of the first game's launch back in '17. That was a damn fine year in games, hopefully this one follows suit.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I need to check out the first game sometime.

I still want my Ninja Gaiden 4 though. They said if the first Nioh did well they'd consider it. Or maybe even a DOA action game.
They've said publicly that NG is one of their most important brands as a company. They are being very careful to slowly build the skills of the modern Team Ninja and extensively test out ideas before releasing their top tier series after the mistakes of Ninja Gaiden 3 and Yaiba. They prototyped Nioh 1 for 10 years before releasing it.

Ninja Gaiden 4 is almost surely being prototyped and they will eventually come out with it when they feel the quality is high enough.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
They've said publicly that NG is one of their most important brands as a company. They are being very careful to slowly build the skills of the modern Team Ninja and extensively test out ideas before releasing their top tier series after the mistakes of Ninja Gaiden 3 and Yaiba. They prototyped Nioh 1 for 10 years before releasing it.

Ninja Gaiden 4 is almost surely being prototyped and they will eventually come out with it when they feel the quality is high enough.
I just finished reading in fact that Nioh was basically conceived in 2004 so even more than 10 years oof.

Top Bottom