• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading animations? I platinumed Bloodborne okay and completed all the ball-breaking DLC bosses solo (on NG+2, no less) without once turning off the game in anger. So no, if I can muster the patience and skill to do that, the 'git gud' argument doesn't apply.

The game had four environments and eight or nine missions to win my heart. What it did was bore me with flat level design, repetitive enemies and an incoherent narrative and frustrate me with ball-breaking difficulty spikes and endless inventory management.

Being good at Bloodborne doesn't guarantee you'll be good at Nioh, to assume that is folly. Frequently Souls veterans have been destroyed by this game due to their over reliance of their past experiences until they learn how to adapt.

Also, read the mission intro, it's blows my mind that people can't follow the story. It's one thing to not bother about lore and character bio, but who doesn't read the instructions before pressing 'ok' ?

Being good at Bloodborne doesn't guarantee you'll be good at Nioh, to assume that is folly. Frequently Souls veterans have been destroyed by this game until they learn how to adapt.

Also, read the mission intro, it's blows my mind that people can't follow the story.

Nioh comes form the same school of storytelling of XV that consists of "chomping pieces of events and pull the massive holes of info on files or text".

The game keeps introducing characters with no background whatsoever, for example. I mean the story sure is simple, but following the line of events is hard as fuck, half of the time I don't get why things are happening at all.

MKIL65

Reading animations? I platinumed Bloodborne okay and completed all the ball-breaking DLC bosses solo (on NG+2, no less) without once turning off the game in anger. So no, if I can muster the patience and skill to do that, the 'git gud' argument doesn't apply.

You have to adapt, not just i-frame through everything like in Bloodborne.

Use your block. Time your Ki Pulse. Make sure to deplete the enemies Ki bar. Back away sometimes. This is not Bloodborne.

Hey guys, do the final weapon trainings (the ones that have a separate proficiency requirement per weapon) count toward the "Clear all missions" trophy?

Did anyone got a Ninja Gaiden vibe from Hidden Village level. It's pretty much that Ninja House from the first game, with secret walls and stuff. :)

The game keeps introducing characters with no background whatsoever, for example. I mean the story sure is simple, but following the line of events is hard as fuck, half of the time I don't get why things are happening at all.

Well, it's based on actual history everyone in Japan knows about. And Jpanaese devs focus on their own market foremost when they develop games.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
If you don't clean up puddles, you're not doing a perfect Ki pulse. You can also set a perk that increases damage after a succesful ki pulse, use it as a confirmation. With Flux, you actually get bonus stamina back so you can maintain combos for longer. It really increases DPS against stunned bosses.

wait what

More info, pls.

Did anyone got a Ninja Gaiden vibe from Hidden Village level. It's pretty much that Ninja House from the first game, with secret walls and stuff. :)

I just finished that level a little while ago. Really fun. And I beat the boss on my first try!
I love the spear I got for beating him.

wait what

More info, pls.

...you're gonna have to buy it to get to ki pulse on dodge.

might also wanna read ALL the skills for a wep before you start purchasing.

And read, at the very least, the purple consumables descriptions.

how can i get more ninja capacity after capping ninjitsu?

aside from buying the skill at the end of the tree 3 times and maxing the stat? pretty sure you cant.

Well, it's based on actual history everyone in Japan knows about. And Jpanaese devs focus on their own market foremost when they develop games.

I mean, everyone knows Leonardo Da Vinci, and the character got a proper introduction in AC2. Just one example of many historical figures in games that don't kinda pop up on a scene, say 2 lines and then you only see it on mission briefings and some random cutscene made on mostly static images filled with kinda random info.

I love the game, but the storytelling in this game is rubbish. Is fine, I didn't expected otherwise...

Edit: (and barely no character backgrounds except on infodump text walls, is just one of the things the game left my head scratching in terms of story)

I didn't know you actually have to go to the hidden teahouse to get the clan battle rewards. I was farming glory like crazy to get all the skins and there was shit load of it waiting for me at the hidden teahouse lol

I mean, everyone knows Leonardo Da Vinci, and the character got a proper introduction in AC2. Just one example of many historical figures in games that don't kinda pop up on a scene, say 2 lines and then you only see it on mission briefings and some random cutscene made on mostly static images filled with kinda random info.

I love the game, but the storytelling in this game is rubbish. Is fine, I didn't expected otherwise...

there *is* a menu detailing all the characters and events in depth and whatnot. But yes, the story isn't particularly well done. Too many damn characters. And that's not even touching the hot mess involving kelley and william.

Caim

wait what

More info, pls.

It's in the skill tree (it's universal) but keep in mind that the descriptions are kind of off.

High stance Ki pulse gives you a damage buff on next hit.

Mid stance Ki pulse makes your next guard consume no ki for the next incoming attack.

Low stance makes your next dodge consume no Ki.

kc44135

Honestly, I get a Ninja Gaiden vibe from the whole game, lol. It honestly feels much more like a Ninja Gaiden game to me than, say, a Dark Souls clone from what I've played. That's not a criticism at all either, as I happen to LOVE NG. Anyway, I've figured alot of stuff out since the last time I posted here, but I'm still confused on something. How do I earn Samurai/Omnyo/Ninja Skill points? I know you can get them from the various Hair Lock items, obviously, but aside from that, how do I earn them? I just seem to get them randomly so far, and don't really get how it works.

komorebi

Nioh comes form the same school of storytelling of XV that consists of "chomping pieces of events and pull the massive holes of info on files or text".

Honestly I don't care about the story or even know what's going on. I love Japanese and Shinto mythology though so it evens out.

Seeing Edward Kelley and John Dee represented this way in the game gets a laugh out of me too lol

But in the end: video games. It's why we play them.

Being good at Bloodborne doesn't guarantee you'll be good at Nioh, to assume that is folly. Frequently Souls veterans have been destroyed by this game due to their over reliance of their past experiences until they learn how to adapt.

Also, read the mission intro, it's blows my mind that people can't follow the story. It's one thing to not bother about lore and character bio, but who doesn't read the instructions before pressing 'ok' ?

Nioh is far easier then souls.

I've only just started Region 3 so I can't comment on that but everything in the first two Regions have been explained quite clearly, you don't necessarily have to dig into lore discription like DS. What are you confused about?

N° 2048

Yeah, I just didn't fully explore the castle at the end. I have kodama sense, I just opened up the wrong door and got pulled into the boss fight.

Did the exact same thing. Was not expecting that to be the boss. I'll probably end up doing it again when I go find the two missing Kodama -.-

Nioh is far easier then souls.

I think it's hard to really compare the two. As a seasoned Soulsborne player, I can't tell how easy or difficult Nioh would be without the shit-ton of strategy I picked up from playing three Dark Souls games and Bloodborne. I've been approaching Nioh the same way I would any of From's titles, and I've been making steady progress since I started.

I've only just started Region 3 so I can't comment on that but everything in the first two Regions have been explained quite clearly, you don't necessarily have to dig into lore discription like DS. What are you confused about?

Is not that I'm confused now, but the game keeps jumping between events and characters and then you have to fill the hopes with the wall texts the game throws at you on a not very visible menu.

When a cutscene starts usually I don't know who is william speaking to or who are those other characters in that room or why William is even there. Then after the mission ends, I have to go to the menu and read why the characters acted that way and fully understand what was going on.

Syntsui

Stop being triggered by this fucking troll, he is here to purely bait a ban.

Anyway, I'm about to do the main missions on NG+ with a new build. Probably Axe just for the laughs.

Zesh

I'm really enjoying this game, but the biggest problem for me is definitely the lack of enemy variety. How many times do we have to fight the same axe yokai and generic humans? This is the thing that needs to be addressed most direly in Nioh 2 and the DLC.

The story is also weak, but that's not very important as it's not the focus of the game, while the lack of enemy variety does hurt what it's best at, which is the combat.

Is not that I'm confused now, but the game keeps jumping between events and characters and then you have to fill the hopes with the wall texts the game throws at you on a not very visible menu.

When a cutscene starts usually I don't know who is william speaking too or who are those other characters in that room or why William is even there. Then after the mission ends, I have to go to the menu and read why the characters acted that way and fully understand what was going on.

I don't know, let's take the second and third main missions for example- in the still cutscene before Hanzo explained that we're going to see one of his master's allies and from that the old man requested us to help find his son who we also met and have some rough idea of his character from his spirit and other cutscenes. I guess you could also say the same thing could apply with the Tachibana between Gin and Muneshige.

If character behavior and motivation is the issue i thought the spirit introductions is a nice way to circumvent that problem and spell it out for the player. Hell even that asshole from Region 2 got some fleshing out for his character lol.

xuchu

Did they nerf Blade Spin in 1.03? Because that shit is OP af.

The dual sword move? It's so good, just spam that shit. But water sword is so much cooler looking and great in the right circumstances like stunned bosses with the confusion status. For regular mobs, it just kinda pushes them away though.

Kyoufu

The dual sword move? It's so good, just spam that shit. But water sword is so much cooler looking and great in the right circumstances like stunned bosses with the confusion status. For regular mobs, it just kinda pushes them away though.

It's a Kusarigama skill and it's the best skill in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom