• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

I dont think im cut out for these games anymore. Still on the first level and getting completely wrecked by each demon and guard with black armor. Other than feeling completely inadequate, im enjoying the game immensely.

Any recommended weapon setups or general tips? (Please refrain from being witty and posting "git gud", it isnt helpful)

It takes a while to get into a groove with this game. The things you learned from the Souls series are helpful, but you can't rely on those tactics alone to carry you through. First, figure out which weapons work best for you and then worry about which stances you prefer. Switching stances mid-combo shouldn't be a focus for you until later on. Don't overwhelm yourself and try to learn too many things at once, just ease into it and things will eventually click. It took me a good 4-6 hours before I felt I had a good handle on the combat.

Where enemies are concerned, don't try to fight groups. If it happens and you aggro several at once, run. If you think you can take them, run anyway. You can often get them to move close together as they chase you so your attacks will hit all of them at once. Just don't try this with larger, more dangerous enemies.

If you can keep your distance and bait enemies into different moves you'll be able to watch and see where the openings are.

Caim

Not sure if its a new armor effect, but I found something with Soul Matching Cost reduction 50% not sure if its transferable though.

Veelk

Banned
Have they announced exactly how many more DLC packs will be available for the game? I kinda lost interest playing it at some point after the water blob, but I'd be down to pick it up again if the game is complete.

And does anyone have a gallery of all the new weapon designs? I feel like I'm the only one with this obsession about examining weapons in games up close.

Anyone?

Also, can someone tell me what I specifically get from the DLC and what I get from the Updates? Can I get an Odachi without buying the DLC, or is that not part of it?

kaioshade

It takes a while to get into a groove with this game. The things you learned from the Souls series are helpful, but you can't rely on those tactics alone to carry you through. First, figure out which weapons work best for you and then worry about which stances you prefer. Switching stances mid-combo shouldn't be a focus for you until later on. Don't overwhelm yourself and try to learn too many things at once, just ease into it and things will eventually click. It took me a good 4-6 hours before I felt I had a good handle on the combat.

Where enemies are concerned, don't try to fight groups. If it happens and you aggro several at once, run. If you think you can take them, run anyway. You can often get them to move close together as they chase you so your attacks will hit all of them at once. Just don't try this with larger, more dangerous enemies.

If you can keep your distance and bait enemies into different moves you'll be able to watch and see where the openings are.

I'll give that a try. had enough for tonight, but ill try again tomorrow. ive never been humbled by a game this bad since lord knows when

Ogawa-san

Anyone?

Also, can someone tell me what I specifically get from the DLC and what I get from the Updates? Can I get an Odachi without buying the DLC, or is that not part of it?
SP covers 3 DLCs, I don't think they'll release more outside of it.

And yeah, nodachi is exclusive to the DLC, so are the new Way of the Demon difficulty and gear above 160.

Caim

Anyone?

These are the full update patch notes: http://imgur.com/a/QpsDk

The dlc adds the Odachi, Way of the Demon (NG++) and the Tohoku region.

As for your other post there will be three DLC packs:

Dragon of the North – Venture deep into Japan’s embattled Northern provinces

Defiant Honor – Fight in the bloody Winter Campaign of the Siege of Osaka

Bloodshed’s End – Bring the Siege of Osaka to an end during the Summer Campaign

I'll give that a try. had enough for tonight, but ill try again tomorrow. ive never been humbled by a game this bad since lord knows when

I had that same feeling when I first started. Even after finishing three Souls games and Bloodborne. Nioh is like Dark Souls but the combat is different enough (and faster) where it has its own learning curve.

Veelk

Banned
These are the full update patch notes: http://imgur.com/a/QpsDk

The dlc adds the Odachi, Way of the Demon (NG++) and the Tohoku region.

As for your other post there will be three DLC packs:

Dragon of the North – Venture deep into Japan’s embattled Northern provinces

Defiant Honor – Fight in the bloody Winter Campaign of the Siege of Osaka

Bloodshed’s End – Bring the Siege of Osaka to an end during the Summer Campaign

3 DLC pieces, eh? And the first of them isn't available until the end of the game...hm, do I buy it now or at the end of the game?

I'm tempted to just wait to buy the entire thing when all the DLC is released. But idk. Decisions....

Just finished the first DLC mission and wow, it was definitely a huge step up in difficulty.
Namahages
are definitely harder to deal with than even the Tengus, and the boss pushed my shit in for a good hour, hour and a half maybe. The challenge was definitely welcomed.

Can't wait to crack into some more missions tomorrow.

Eria

I have Okatsu, Ginchiyo and Tome. I don't know if I'll buy Fuku tho, anyway it's time to play way of the demon.

Milijango

Shoutouts to amamriy for getting paired with me three times and 2shotting everyone.

I have Ginchiro. Now to never PvP ever again.

Caim

Really bummed out that there is no Masamune 1 v 1 mission.

You have to go through the whole stage if you want to fight him.

I do hope they add missions in the future similar to patch 1.06.

YoungOne

PvP is so laggy they need to fix it very annoying that I am no where near the enemy but next minute I am teleported into their attacks.

Deku Tree

PvP is so laggy they need to fix it very annoying that I am no where near the enemy but next minute I am teleported into their attacks.

Set your matching region to the smallest one. If it's "worldwide" then your gonna get lag. Nothing anyone can do about lag when your matched against someone on the other side of the world.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So assuming that I haven't beat the game yet that is why it says to buy DLC even though I have deluxe?
Have digital deluxe as well but it wasn't showing up and the new area was greyed out. Had to manually go to PSN>search Nioh>click on Dragon of North DLC>click on blue download button. That did the trick for me and it said purchased immediately after I clicked the download button. Then go back into the game and the new are will be playable after you've progressed enough(beat the story I think).

xviper

just started the DLC, i haven't played the game since i finished it when it came out

played the Zen and Sword are one Dojo mission, don't know if this is a DLC mission or not, defeated Yaguu sekinshusai in my first try, i'm sure i was overleveled since he can't do shit to me, i'm level 110

I finished up most of the DLC, and I really liked it. It's pretty much what i expected content wise for a new region, and if we can expect similar things over the next couple dlc's it should add a lot of stuff to the game.
I have not tried the new sword, I didn't want to respec my character again just to try it out. Holy crap though they added a lot of skills or talents to the weapons and armor, I was kind of surprised by this.
I'm gonna clean up the sub missions and then finish up way of the strong so i can go to way of the demon.

WetWaffle

So, how exactly do you get a lot for glory? I've been fighting every single revenant I come across but I only have 3300. I haven't unlocked the hidden teahouse yet but from what I hear, player skins costs much more than what I have now right? So, how do I farm glory?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I finished up most of the DLC, and I really liked it. It's pretty much what i expected content wise for a new region, and if we can expect similar things over the next couple dlc's it should add a lot of stuff to the game.
I have not tried the new sword, I didn't want to respec my character again just to try it out. Holy crap though they added a lot of skills or talents to the weapons and armor, I was kind of surprised by this.
I'm gonna clean up the sub missions and then finish up way of the strong so i can go to way of the demon.
Yup, really digging all the content they added in this DLC. I skipped way of the samurai and just started the new region on way of strong instead and am almost done with it I think. Will try way of Demon afterwards for the loot next. Something tells me I'm gonna get my ass handed to me on Demon difficulty though lol.

So, how exactly do you get a lot for glory? I've been fighting every single revenant I come across but I only have 3300. I haven't unlocked the hidden teahouse yet but from what I hear, player skins costs much more than what I have now right? So, how do I farm glory?
PvP right now gives you the most glory I believe. Have yet to try it for myself though since I'd rather finish up story DLC.

xviper

what is the recommended level for the DLC ??

i'm level 112 and just reached
Date Shigezane
and he is kicking my ass like i'm a piece of shit

i really don't have time to farm and get stronger, got exams

I've never done the respec book before, so before I try it I want to know what the deal is.

1. Will Odachi now be a choice for one of those two default weapon types you choose? (and when you respec do you go back to those choices)?
2. When I allocate my amrita, I won't have lost any levels, right?
3. Will I also have to redo my learned skills, or is that a different respec?

Thanks.

xviper

damn it, he damages 80% of my health in 1 hit and i can't do shit to him

i definitely need to get better gear

since i don't have time to play the game for about a month, i'll go back to it later( maybe )

my impression of the DLC based on the first mission, it's exactly like the main game, boring, terrible level design, terrible enemy design and repetitive as fuck, the boss is awesome though

what is the recommended level for the DLC ??

i'm level 112 and just reached
Date Shigezane
and he is kicking my ass like i'm a piece of shit

i really don't have time to farm and get stronger, got exams

I was level 117 when I beat him. Didn't have a whole lot of divine gear either. I actually had to unequip some because
Date Shigezane's attacks just ripped right through my Ki while wearing light armor, so I had to use some medium gear and equip the bull spirit.

Also, a tip for where you're at:
maintain a healthy distance from the boss and just poke the centipede head in medium stance to drain the boss's Ki. You'll want to run more than dodge because of the stupid range on his attacks.

mAcOdIn

I've never done the respec book before, so before I try it I want to know what the deal is.

1. Will Odachi now be a choice for one of those two default weapon types you choose? (and when you respec do you go back to those choices)?
2. When I allocate my amrita, I won't have lost any levels, right?
3. Will I also have to redo my learned skills, or is that a different respec?

Thanks.
The 2 default weapons choice at the start means jack shit, you can freely use or invest skill points in any weapon at any time, if I recall that was just to ease the player into playing and allocating their skillpoints to the skills that'd affect their weapons of choice or something like that.

Using the respec book gives all your Amrita and every skill point back, whether that skill point was earned through leveling or through locks of hair, it gives it all back. You will not lose any Amrita, so long as you don't die before you use it back up again. Only thing it doesn't reset are your prestige titles, there's something sold in the hidden teahouse that will reset those if you want.

Yes, you'll have to relearn and reset your skills.

ngower

This game's been on sale for ~$40 for the past week or so and it's enticing. That said, the Soulsborne games are just outside my cup of tea. I like the challenge of games like Monster Hunter, but they're not as punishing as Soulsborne to me. Is this pretty much on par with Soulsborne, or a drop below/above in terms of difficulty?

Trakan

This game's been on sale for ~$40 for the past week or so and it's enticing. That said, the Soulsborne games are just outside my cup of tea. I like the challenge of games like Monster Hunter, but they're not as punishing as Soulsborne to me. Is this pretty much on par with Soulsborne, or a drop below/above in terms of difficulty?

You're going to get differing opinions here, but as someone who has beaten DS1-3 and BB multiple times over, this is harder your first playthrough than any Souls game. Once you beat the game and start getting more powerful, you become broken/overpowered and NG+ playthroughs are easier.

xviper

I was level 117 when I beat him. Didn't have a whole lot of divine gear either. I actually had to unequip some because
Date Shigezane's attacks just ripped right through my Ki while wearing light armor, so I had to use some medium gear and equip the bull spirit.

Also, a tip for where you're at:
maintain a healthy distance from the boss and just poke the centipede head in medium stance to drain the boss's Ki. You'll want to run more than dodge because of the stupid range on his attacks.

the problem is that i only play with a sword and a sword is a terrible choice for him

i need to practice to get used to the game again, i don't even remember how to activate the spirit animal lol

i shouldn't have bought the DLC now, should have waited until after the exams, well, mistakes were made

but the boss is really hard, unlike most of the bosses of the main game, they leaned their lesson with the difficulty of the bosses, are the rest of the DLC bosses as hard as him ?

maybe when i'm free i'll go back to the DLC and finish it

the problem is that i only play with a sword and a sword is a terrible choice for him

i need to practice to get used to the game again, i don't even remember how to activate the spirit animal lol

i shouldn't have bought the DLC now, should have waited until after the exams, well, mistakes were made

but the boss is really hard, unlike most of the bosses of the main game, they leaned their lesson with the difficulty of the bosses, are the rest of the DLC bosses as hard as him ?

maybe when i'm free i'll go back to the DLC and finish it

Try using the new weapon (odachi). It's got an even longer reach than the spear does, and actually works well on him. Use medium stance light attacks, and hit him once, maybe twice if he leaves himself open long enough, then back away.

I haven't gotten to the rest of the bosses yet, but from what I'm seeing, there's one "mid-boss" that's fairly easy, but then the other bosses (especially the final boss) are just as, if not more challenging than the first boss.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Speaking from personal experience; a lot of my previous frustration with some bosses was mostly due to improper build/weapon stats. Once you figure that out and the best build for your playstyle, the frustrations become much more manageable since you realize you are usually at fault and not the game's difficulty.

Taking the time to study builds and weapon stats is very important and extremely beneficial. The payoff is well worth the investment.

fantomena

I don't remember, but if I start a new game and choose sword and axe as my weapons 1 and 2, can I still use dual swords and opposite like sword and sual swords, can I still use axe?

Wow, pvp is so laggy and broken it's not even funny. Balance you ask? What balance lol This game was fine without pvp, all the effort could have been used elsewhere. If they wanted to make a good pvp, they should have done it like the dojo missions. No magic and ninjitsu and only wooden weapons.

Drencrom

PvP is hilariously unbalanced. Really loving the update/DLC besides that, I'll just skip PvP until they do something to balance it.

Wow, pvp is so laggy and broken it's not even funny. Balance you ask? What balance lol This game was fine without pvp, all the effort could have been used elsewhere. If they wanted to make a good pvp, they should have done it like the dojo missions. No magic and ninjitsu and only wooden weapons.

Agreed, they should definitely add a Dojo PvP mode where stats, gear and weapons are the same. Just pure focus on combat.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm still salty they fucking halved our levels(750>320s) cause of this shit lol smh. Knowing damn well I won't touch PvP as much. Loving the DLC missions though, just give me more of that goodness. I would've been ALL for that dojo style PvP.

I'm still salty they fucking halved our levels(750>320s) cause of this shit lol smh. Knowing damn well I won't touch PvP as much. Loving the DLC missions though, just give me more of that goodness. I would've been ALL for that dojo style PvP.

Cutting levels was major BS, they just could have scale down the level for pvp, no need to touch a pve portion of the game. Not everyone wants to play pvp.

Rarius

At the point in Nioh that I'm at, I'm convinced that this game never ends. I don't even really know where I'm at in the story, I'm just going with the flow.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Cutting levels was major BS, they just could have scale down the level for pvp, no need to touch a pve portion of the game. Not everyone wants to play pvp.
Agreed. Let me be the walking god that I worked so hard to achieve damnit. I miss being OP af.

At the point in Nioh that I'm at, I'm convinced that this game never ends. I don't even really know where I'm at in the story, I'm just going with the flow.
Haha yup, that's Nioh alright. There's so much damn content and missions, it's insane. I love it though since I got my moneys worth and then some.

Top Bottom