• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

-GJ-

Quick question that's probably been asked before; do you need to complete the game before you can access the DLC? Our Nioh reviewer doesn't have the time to review the DLC, so they gave it to me but I have only beaten 9 bosses yet. I tried to Google it, but that gave me varied results.

xuchu

Huh, update 1.08 just popped for me, it weighs 998mb, I wonder what it does.

I've read that it reduces the glory needed for female skins by 20k each. Hopefully it also fixes the crashing issues you've been having as well. Supposedly it has something to do with falling in water. Glad people are having fun. Will jump in after I'm done with P5.

I've read that it reduces the glory needed for female skins by 20k each. Hopefully it also fixes the crashing issues you've been having as well. Supposedly it has something to do with falling in water. Glad people are having fun. Will jump in after I'm done with P5.

....WHAT. They better refund 20k of the 120k I spent getting Okatsu last night then.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to be pain, any ideas about the below?

Has anyone got any advanced tips for combat? I understand what everything does, and I think I have the basics, but I'm not sure I've got the right rhythm or I'm making the most of my character abilities. Like, is it effective to change stances or weapons mid-combo? Am I meant to simply hit, run, Ki-Pulse, repeat?

Any tips on how I can take my game up a level are greatly appreciated. :)

YoungOne

Should have been reduced by atleast 60k.

Has anyone got any advanced tips for combat? I understand what everything does, and I think I have the basics, but I'm not sure I've got the right rhythm or I'm making the most of my character abilities. Like, is it effective to change stances or weapons mid-combo? Am I meant to simply hit, run, Ki-Pulse, repeat?

Any tips on how I can take my game up a level are greatly appreciated. :)

Switching stances mid-combo is something that is possible and flashy, but it's not any more effective than just finishing out a combo in your current stance.

If I'm not trying to style, I only switch stance when I specifically want to use a skill that's exclusive to another stance. Like with dual kats, I'm mostly in midstance, but I'll switch to high stance if I want to Windstorm (or Water Sword depending on what I have equipped in that slot).

As for the rhythm, you ask if you're meant to hit, run, ki pulse repeat, but ki pulse should be eliminating the need for you to run.

My general rhythm is: Combo~ki pulse~combo~repeat until I decided to Sign of the Cross (dual katana skill) as a combo ender~BUT THEN I KI PULSE AGAIN AND KEEP GOING.

You throw in dodges as necessary to, well, not get hit. I never feel the need back off unless a boss has a point blank AoE that you need to get away from to dodge completely.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Thank god I didn't buy any of the female skins yet haha, that's fucked up.
I feel for you guys that wasted 20K+ glory.

Peroroncino

Nah, that's bullshit, I've had crashes before even loading up the dlc mission for the first time, the guy who fell in the water must've had his crash during loading, just like me.

And yeah, after I got it working it's hella fun, I really like Odachi.

As for the skins, as of 1.08:

Okatsu - 100k
Tachibana Ginchyio - 70k
Fuku - 70k
Tome - 70k

Copper

Don't have DLC yet but I have the 1.08 patch in US.

Not really liking the PvP so far. Just what I feared it's extremely unbalanced and the lag/desync doesn't help either. I really hope the add a Dojo mode with no items/ living weapon because right now melee builds are pretty much impossible to win with.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
PvP is going to be stupid as hell in this game I feel due to real human beings. Fighting spammers(majority in PvP) is going to be so boring.

Peroroncino

Just fought my first PvP... eh, the dude was running away from me and both rounds I won only because of the 'damage advantage'.

Thinking about setting up a password and doing a more 'controlled' pvp, with low level equipment and no spell/ninjutsu spamming.

Copper

Just fought my first PvP... eh, the dude was running away from me and both rounds I won only because of the 'damage advantage'.

Thinking about setting up a password and doing a more 'controlled' pvp, with low level equipment and no spell/ninjutsu spamming.

That would be nice if we could set something like that up here. Maybe have a community password.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Switching stances mid-combo is something that is possible and flashy, but it's not any more effective than just finishing out a combo in your current stance.

If I'm not trying to style, I only switch stance when I specifically want to use a skill that's exclusive to another stance. Like with dual kats, I'm mostly in midstance, but I'll switch to high stance if I want to Windstorm (or Water Sword depending on what I have equipped in that slot).

As for the rhythm, you ask if you're meant to hit, run, ki pulse repeat, but ki pulse should be eliminating the need for you to run.

My general rhythm is: Combo~ki pulse~combo~repeat until I decided to Sign of the Cross (dual katana skill) as a combo ender~BUT THEN I KI PULSE AGAIN AND KEEP GOING.

You throw in dodges as necessary to, well, not get hit. I never feel the need back off unless a boss has a point blank AoE that you need to get away from to dodge completely.

Nice one. So the idea is to Ki to Ki-p going with your attacks(IMSOSORRY)? Any other tips? I'm probably going katana/spinny whirly thing.

Anyone know if you can get the Odachi in normal game? I lost my save with this update for some reason and I just wont bother starting over again until the final dlc is out if I can't get it before new game plus.

Nice one. So the idea is to Ki to Ki-p going with your attacks(IMSOSORRY)? Any other tips? I'm probably going katana/spinny whirly thing.

General tips off the top of my head?

-Practice Ki Pulse fluxing (the flux skill is in the skill tree and is shared between all weapons) when you get down to the bottom half of your stamina bar during a series of combos.

Yes, flux gives you back a chunk of stamina when you switch stance on ki pulse, but some people don't know that if you switch stance multiple times in a row on ki pulse, you get back multiple chunks of stamina. So after a multi-combo onslaught, and you're running low on stamina even with ki pulsing, do a ki pulse flux where you chain multiple stance changes and get back the whole bar.

-Learn an optimal punish when you drain a human enemy's stamina. Some people just go for a grapple. Don't do this. You can get so much more damage.

For example, when I break a human enemy's stamina (human bosses included) with dual kats, I Sign of the Cross, which knocks them down, then I position myself to where I'm directly behind them, do a final blow, then time a square combo as they get up. If you time it right, you will get a full free combo behind the enemy without them getting a chance to guard as they get up. Also sometimes the game lets me get in two Sign of the Cross attacks and still get a final blow in afterward. Not sure what the requirements are.

My friend who mains single kats hits a stamina broken enemy to knock them down, then does a fully charged Iai as they fall, then finishes with a final blow from behind into a square combo like I described above.

This does an extreme amount of damage compared to just going for a grapple.

Anyone know if you can get the Odachi in normal game? I lost my save with this update for some reason and I just wont bother starting over again until the final dlc is out if I can't get it before new game plus.

Have you checked if you can download your save off the cloud backup?

DLC is live for you in NA? Mine is still greyed out. :(
Which region you in?

I'm in North America (Texas), with a North American region account.

What I had to do was search in the store for "nioh", and go to the "Dragon of the North dlc" and "purchase" it, which it gave it to me for 'free' because I own the season pass.

Does anyone know if the new difficulty mode is tied to purchasing the DLC?

I've checked all around and can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm in North America (Texas), with a North American region account.

What I had to do was search in the store for "nioh", and go to the "Dragon of the North dlc" and "purchase" it, which it gave it to me for 'free' because I own the season pass.
This did the trick, thanks!! Had to manually click on the blue download button just for it to say purchased lol.

Edit: The way of Demon levels go above 400+. Is the player level cap really at 400?? Cause hoooly shiiiit if it's still at 750 with these requirements.

Eria

If someone wants to farm glory points for getting female skins we can do that pretty easily. Just doing coop with yokai realm the first main mission of the DLC and rush to the boss.

It takes 3 min and we get 2.7k glory points each run.

Maaaaaaaan, I'm way overleveled for the dlc in Way of the Strong.

The first mission is level 150, and I'm 246.

I'd love to just jump into Way of the Demon and do it, but unfortunately only the first 3 regions are unlocked in Way of the Demon to start.

EDIT: SCRATCH ALL MY BITCHING. I ACCIDENTALLY SWITCHED IT TO WAY OF THE SAMURAI WITHOUT NOTICING BEFORE STARTING THE DLC LOLOLOLOL.

THE FIRST MISSION IS LEVEL 330 ON WAY OF THE STRONG, NOT 150.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
General tips off the top of my head?

-Practice Ki Pulse fluxing (the flux skill is in the skill tree and is shared between all weapons) when you get down to the bottom half of your stamina bar during a series of combos.

Yes, flux gives you back a chunk of stamina when you switch stance on ki pulse, but some people don't know that if you switch stance multiple times in a row on ki pulse, you get back multiple chunks of stamina. So after a multi-combo onslaught, and you're running low on stamina even with ki pulsing, do a ki pulse flux where you chain multiple stance changes and get back the whole bar.

-Learn an optimal punish when you drain a human enemy's stamina. Some people just go for a grapple. Don't do this. You can get so much more damage.

For example, when I break a human enemy's stamina (human bosses included) with dual kats, I Sign of the Cross, which knocks them down, then I position myself to where I'm directly behind them, do a final blow, then time a square combo as they get up. If you time it right, you will get a full free combo behind the enemy without them getting a chance to guard as they get up. Also sometimes the game lets me get in two Sign of the Cross attacks and still get a final blow in afterward. Not sure what the requirements are.

My friend who mains single kats hits a stamina broken enemy to knock them down, then does a fully charged Iai as they fall, then finishes with a final blow from behind into a square combo like I described above.

This does an extreme amount of damage compared to just going for a grapple.

This is awesome, thank you!

Pons

Neo Member
So I started playing this yesterday, and I know there is a learning curve to the combat. I just feel like the stance changes are like one level of complexity more than I can handle. So far I'm just sticking with a mid-stance. Is that a legit tactic? Is that a thing you can do, or will that come back to bite me in the ass?

Horse, bro, I get where you are coming from, and the game is completely playable in one stance, if you don't want or feel comfortable stance switching, you dont need to do it.

I beat it in mostly mid stance, and only changed to other stances if I wanted to do specific moves for specific reasons.

Like some others have said, Ki Pulse is more important than learning to stance switch.

Top Bottom