• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Deku Tree

So apparently revenant trading is back at Death to Bandits on WotStrong. You can trade perks if you only equip 160 or lower level gear obtained after 1.08.

Jamiaro

So apparently revenant trading is back at Death to Bandits on WotStrong. You can trade perks if you only equip 160 or lower level gear obtained after 1.08.

What does this mean exactly? Farm Revenants that drop weapons/armor with transferrable abilities?

How much final blow damage do you have? What are your perks for final blow damage at?

It does like 28K physical and 7K fire , in total 35%. It's all level 150 gear with no + upgrades. 4 pieces of Sanada Crimson (chest, arms, legs, boots) head piece from Fanatic's armor, Main weapon of your choice fully upgraded and Atagi Sadamune as a secondary for extra 15% final blow. Fully upgraded Suzaku as a main spirit and fully upgraded Saoirse as a secondary. Just put some mid break % and + break on your weapon and fire damage and + break on cannon. You can also put +50% fire damage on your main weapon as well. And of course you gonna need a lot of +% to Armita on your gear that includes both accessories with +28% each.

This is my run, it really take like a minute to get it done.

https://youtu.be/IM57F729qmM

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So uh... that
Maria
boss fight. Bloodborne rip-off anyone? :p C'mon Team Ninja hahah.

Edit: oooh we can we get
her skin at the Hidden Teahouse
? I forgot to check...

xuchu

Go, go, go! Before team ninja makes it so that revenants drop absolutely nothing.

So uh... that
Maria
boss fight. Bloodborne rip-off anyone? :p C'mon Team Ninja hahah.

Edit: oooh we can we get
her skin at the Hidden Teahouse
? I forgot to check...

Her
design is probably heavily inspired from bloodborne but
she's
got a slowed down moveset of a ninja gaiden 3 boss. Don't play ninja gaiden 3 though.

Maria
skin will probably be 2mil glory next dlc. Best way to get glory is PVP but it's such a laggy, unbalanced mess that I'm fine not getting these expensive skins.

I just started this last night; I'm about an hour in I guess. Having a lot of trouble mentally re-adjusting from Bloodborne which I played earlier this year - I keep hitting circle to roll and ballsing that up. It's very good so far though, although I kind of feel I should be getting a PS4 Pro and playing at 60fps (although don't have the money for that). I got some massive gold armour as a DLC reward at the first shrine and I've been wearing that as it really reduces the damage I take. Aside from that I'm just finding my flow with the combat. Is there anything particular I need to know?

I just started this last night; I'm about an hour in I guess. Having a lot of trouble mentally re-adjusting from Bloodborne which I played earlier this year - I keep hitting circle to roll and ballsing that up. It's very good so far though, although I kind of feel I should be getting a PS4 Pro and playing at 60fps (although don't have the money for that). I got some massive gold armour as a DLC reward at the first shrine and I've been wearing that as it really reduces the damage I take. Aside from that I'm just finding my flow with the combat. Is there anything particular I need to know?

Look at the skills for all the weapons to see what piques your curiosity the most and don't be afraid to experiment as rerolling your stats and skills is trivial

Bought this game yesterday, liking what I've played, not far in yet still in the Isle of Demons area.
Went with a spear and double swords plus choose the Isonade Guardian Spirit as I like being able to see enemies on the map.
Are there any beginner hints or guidance as it does seem a tad overbearing to start.
I'm a bloodborne style of player and will be hoping to unlock the backstab skill once I finish the Demons area. Anything else which is essential to unbreak, or skills to build up - looking to push into the Body, Heart, Stamina, Strength just to get a half decent half and weight for equipment before deciding on what style of player I will be.

Thanks

Look at the skills for all the weapons to see what piques your curiosity the most and don't be afraid to experiment as rerolling your stats and skills is trivial

Thanks. I've tried with an axe and spear, but so far I will probably stick with the single sword for the foreseeable future. Most comfortable for my fighting style, and I'm trying to get used to switching stances.

Bought this game yesterday, liking what I've played, not far in yet still in the Isle of Demons area.
Went with a spear and double swords plus choose the Isonade Guardian Spirit as I like being able to see enemies on the map.
Are there any beginner hints or guidance as it does seem a tad overbearing to start.
I'm a bloodborne style of player and will be hoping to unlock the backstab skill once I finish the Demons area. Anything else which is essential to unbreak, or skills to build up - looking to push into the Body, Heart, Stamina, Strength just to get a half decent half and weight for equipment before deciding on what style of player I will be.

Thanks

You don't really need to be as focused with your levelling due to the book of resurrection which allows you to respec at any point. There is a lot of different ways to play the game and by experimenting rather than being too focused in the beginning will give you a better understanding of the systems in use.

Armour is often more important than your actual level, and weapon/item/armour perks can have a much bigger impact on a specific type of build you might want to create.

You don't really need to be as focused with your levelling due to the book of resurrection which allows you to respec at any point. There is a lot of different ways to play the game and by experimenting rather than being too focused in the beginning will give you a better understanding of the systems in use.

Armour is often more important than your actual level, and weapon/item/armour perks can have a much bigger impact on a specific type of build you might want to create.

OK cheers, very useful :)

xuchu

Lol, it's gonna end up being 2000 pages.

Honestly, I think they're struggling to keep up with the balance and loot drop changes added in patch after patch and judging by some of a german spy's and rbfrosty's stream comments more drastic changes may come in later patches. I can imagine communication from the Japanese team also being quite hard, or not being well ahead of time, for editing and publishing purposes.

I think maybe it's better to wait until all the dlc is released and/or the inevitable GOTY/sigma edition gets released. It's not like I want or need a written walkthrough as I, and many others in this thread, have done pretty much everything in this game but accurate loot tables would have been nice. Kinda just wanted it for collection's sake as future press tend to go above and beyond with quality.

Farming 200+ gear is such a pain man, I did like 20 runs and only got one 205 piece. This is gonna take a while :( 200+ gear drops only in the new region right?

Raptor

Farming 200+ gear is such a pain man, I did like 20 runs and only got one 205 piece. This is gonna take a while :(

Can you post your stats and gear? so I can know what is my end goal?

Like you know in Diablo 3 there is builds you farm for end game, I like to know what is my end goal to end up being super powerfull.

xuchu

Farming 200+ gear is such a pain man, I did like 20 runs and only got one 205 piece. This is gonna take a while :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn3S8phiT-g

So I followed this guide along with building a 600+ luck gear set w/gyokuto and high luck when using LW accessories and I've gotten two 209 weapons and many 200+ armor pieces. Not gonna bother with 210 though and just gonna take a break before continuing base level run for the dlc.

Like you know in Diablo 3 there is builds you farm for end game, I like to know what is my end goal to end up being super powerfull.

Yes I will do it later today, still doing some minor changes. I just wan it to be up to date.

xuchu

I wouldn't stress too much about builds, at the moment, as it's very easy to respec. Just experiment with the skills and weapons that interest you while putting points into the stats that scale with your preferred weapon. At least don't worry about it until you're in NG+, where it really becomes more diablo than souls.

If you just want a taste of end game gear and builds I would check out PWARgaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwbjb-TQEPo&t on youtube (mega-spoilers for you though) or just wait for H3rTz DoNuT to post some sweet perfect gear :)

Raptor

Oh, wait for NG+ sounds good, for now I can just prioritize damage and stamina or something, I like double swords the most.

Im at the Electric Lion/tiger? boss at the moment, Level 30.

xuchu

Oh, wait for NG+ sounds good, for now I can just prioritize damage and stamina or something, I like double swords the most.

Im at the Electric Lion/tiger? boss at the moment, Level 30.

Nice, dual swords are very powerful and along with the single katana my favourite weapon. They scale primarily with skill so prioritise that stat. If you're used to souls style scaling, it's a bit weird here as it doesn't really scale linearly nor are there soft or hard caps when it comes to damage. The damage will go up in a cycle like 1,3,5, 1,3,5 or something like that.
I would pick up these skills, not necessarily in any order:

Flux II - gives you a net positive ki when you switch stances one or more times as you ki pulse. Not mandatory but really helps with offense and styling on yokai enemies and bosses.

Ki pulse: Heaven, Man and Earth - Ki pulse automatically when dodging in high, mid and low stance respectively.

God of wind III - Great unblockable combo that wrecks enemy ki and does solid damage. Practice timing the second triangle for a double overhead slash. Feels really satisfying once you have the timing down.

Sign of the Cross I and II: A charged and powerful quickdraw of both swords. Incredible burst damage and the start-up animation can be shortened if you ki-pulse into it after a combo. A good and easy combo is God of wind III into sign of the cross.

Water sword - Anime as fuck move but very situational for certain bosses

Windstorm - A very powerful and borderline broken high stance move than instantly breaks yokai horns and is relatively safe to use in PVE.

The shrike - I've often seen people struggle against human opponents, whether it be revenants or bosses but if you learn how to parry and punish you'll really enjoy fighting them. After this particular parry, they'll slump to the floor where you can punish heavily with a fully charged Sign of the cross, then killing strike(triangle when they're on the floor) then sign of the cross again.

Passive skills - Take a look at some of the other skill trees and you can pick up their passives as they will generally work with any weapon. Kusarigama tree has some the best ones like increased damage from behind, killing strike damage and increased damage when at full health.

I'm probably missing some stuff but hope this helps. You can pick up a cheap respec book from the blacksmith that increases in price each time you buy it (never really gets too expensive though) so just experiment for yourself and have fun.

xuchu

We should probably make a FAQ,feel like lots of new people join and since Nioh is so different there is alot to explain.

Yeah, that would be helpful to new players seeing as the game itself sometimes does a horrible job explaining things.

For instance with the new stat on gear - Bonus when surrounded - the tooltip says it activates in 2v1 scenarios but it only activates in 3v1 scenarios. Why Team ninja Why?!?

Also how's the base level run going? Get ready to tear your hair out on
Orochi
hate that boss.

Raptor

Nice, dual swords are very powerful and along with the single katana my favourite weapon. They scale primarily with skill so prioritise that stat. If you're used to souls style scaling, it's a bit weird here as it doesn't really scale linearly nor are there soft or hard caps when it comes to damage. The damage will go up in a cycle like 1,3,5, 1,3,5 or something like that.

Flux II - gives you a net positive ki when you switch stances one or more times as you ki pulse. Not mandatory but really helps with offense and styling on yokai enemies and bosses.

Ki pulse: Heaven, Man and Earth - Ki pulse automatically when dodging in high, mid and low stance respectively.

God of wind III - Great unblockable combo that wrecks enemy ki and does solid damage. Practice timing the second triangle for a double overhead slash. Feels really satisfying once you have the timing down.

Sign of the Cross I and II: A charged and powerful quickdraw of both swords. Incredible burst damage and the start-up animation can be shortened if you ki-pulse into it after a combo. A good and easy combo is God of wind III into sign of the cross.

Windstorm - A very powerful and borderline broken high stance move than instantly breaks yokai horns and is relatively safe to use in PVE.

The shrike - I've often seen people struggle against human opponents, whether it be revenants or bosses but if you learn how to parry and punish you'll really enjoy fighting them. After this particular parry, they'll slump to the floor where you can punish heavily with a fully charged Sign of the cross, then killing strike(triangle when they're on the floor) then sign of the cross again.

Passive skills - Take a look at some of the other skill trees and you can pick up their passives as they will generally work with any weapon. Kusarigama tree has some the best ones like increased damage from behind, killing strike damage and increased damage when at full health.

I'm probably missing some stuff but hope this helps. You can pick up a cheap respec book from the blacksmith that increases in price each time you buy it (never really gets too expensive though) so just experiment for yourself and have fun.

great write up man thanks for this.

Wait is that right? can I unlock Passives of different weapons and they will work? oh man this is great.

Was putting all on Heart but will Respec with that thing you mention to put all in Skill instead.

:D

xuchu

great write up man thanks for this.

Wait is that right? can I unlock Passives of different weapons and they will work? oh man this is great.

Was putting all on Heart but will Respec with that thing you mention to put all in Skill instead.

:D

Yeah most passives will work globally and they're often very useful. Heart is still very useful as it gives more max ki. Note when I said damage has no real soft or hard cap on stat scaling, increasing ki via heart or max equipment weight via stamina or strength does have soft and hard caps. I don't have the breakpoints off hand but IIRC at some point (maybe 30) ki only increases by 1 each level.

Also try to run around with A (30% equipment load) or B (70% equipment load) agility as this affects evasion ki usage and ki used for each attack. The difference in ki usage between A and B agility is, generally, ~10% whereas the difference between A and C agility is a whopping 60%. You can see your equipment load and agility rank easily in the top right corner when looking at any armor piece or on the status screen. But play whichever way you find comfortable dude.

Sorry for the info dump.

Raptor

Yeah most passives will work globally and they're often very useful. Heart is still very useful as it gives more max ki. Note when I said damage has no real soft or hard cap on stat scaling, increasing ki via heart or max equipment weight via stamina or strength does have soft and hard caps. I don't have the breakpoints off hand but IIRC at some point (maybe 30) ki only increases by 1 each level.

Also try to run around with A (30% equipment load) or B (70% equipment load) agility as this affects evasion ki usage and ki used for each attack. The difference in ki usage between A and B agility is, generally, ~10% whereas the difference between A and C agility is a whopping 60%. You can see your equipment load and agility rank easily in the top right corner when looking at any armor piece or on the status screen. But play whichever way you find comfortable dude.

Sorry for the info dump.

I will play with whatever gives me A agility, I dont like being heavy or tank stuff, I prefer to be agile and dodge everything, ki pulsing and using low stance with double katanas is satisfying as fuck.

Jamiaro

I can't apparently transfer the Skill: Close Combat Damage to my spear with Transferrable Skill: Break?

Other abilities in the spear are Attack from behind, Fire, Life Recovery by Killing Strike, Weaken Melee Weapons and Killing Strike Damage.

xuchu

I have 483 divine in my inventory and the last thing I want to do is sort through them. Ugh

lol, grab a cup of tea/coffee or beverage of your choice and get ready for that inventory management. As much as some people hate it, inventory management is part and parcel in diablo-like games and Nioh is no exception. I actually kinda find it relaxing but I also generally do a blacksmith disassemble/sell run after every farming mission or two so it never really gets out of hand.

I can't apparently transfer the Skill: Close Combat Damage to my spear with Transferrable Skill: Break?

Other abilities in the spear are Attack from behind, Fire, Life Recovery by Killing Strike, Weaken Melee Weapons and Killing Strike Damage.

Another thing nioh doesn't really explain very well is conflicting stats on weapons. Close combat damage conflicts with attack from behind so reroll that to something like familiarity damage bonus or change to attack (body). Here is a useful (pre 1.07) loot table that shows the different stat pools w/min and max values at max familiarity:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16ATVIr-dSH-n10925y_KLLihv1ucjmYXSSSEg_WqmnU/edit#gid=0

Generally you can only have one weapon/armor stat from each stat pool but this loot table is a bit out of date as now you can have things like fam damage bonus, change to attack and CCD on the same weapon.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
12000 glory to go before I can stare at Ginchiyo instead of discount Geralt and his huge chin. Coop is absolutely fabulous when things go right. Been doing just that for the past two days. 1200000 amrita to spend, and I'm level what, 52? Been killing Nue so many times....so good.

Deku Tree

Seems like nobody has the energy to update the table.

It is a lot of work and with two more DLC on the way, nobody knows if it is going to change again dramatically in a future update.

xuchu

Seems like nobody has the energy to update the table.

It is a lot of work and with two more DLC on the way, nobody knows if it is going to change again dramatically in a future update.

To be fair, it took a couple of months after release for that loot table to be compiled and it's only been 2 weeks since the dlc dropped. With so many changes to the loot system and special effects after the 1.08 it will take some time for it to be updated.

Raptor

12000 glory to go before I can stare at Ginchiyo instead of discount Geralt and his huge chin. Coop is absolutely fabulous when things go right. Been doing just that for the past two days. 1200000 amrita to spend, and I'm level what, 52? Been killing Nue so many times....so good.

Whats this?

You get more amrita in coop?

Oh sweet that's good to know about Windstorm, I picked it up but haven't really gotten into the habit of using it regularly in PvE

Didn't know about the passives from other trees carrying over too, I'll have to go look at those. Cheers! b

Also how's the base level run going? Get ready to tear your hair out on
Orochi
hate that boss.

Aye the save is at him now, after the first phase he wont be bad :p But first phase has the sometimes unavoidable breath attack....

I like the boss, but with my restrictions hes going to be a pain in the ass, cause i have no patience.

Make an FAQ specifically for Nue :p

There are a few bosses which could probably have a section deticatied to them.

Top Bottom