• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Ventara

Just recently started this game, and I'm getting flashbacks at my attempts at Demon's/Dark Souls, neither of which I was able to finish. Hopefully I can get further with this game. Movement really feels clunky, but otherwise, it's been nice so far. Ki seems pretty important. Died a few times during the prologue because I wasn't paying attention to it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Movement really feels clunky,
Wut

I am convinced that a lot of people use "clunky" without knowing what they really mean by it. No offense to you in particular, but there's literally nothing clunky about movement in Nioh. It's fluid, responsive, and very fast.

Ki seems pretty important
Heh, yes it is. The most important aspect of the combat to be honest.

Ventara

Wut

I am convinced that a lot of people use "clunky" without knowing what they really mean by it. No offense to you in particular, but there's literally nothing clunky about movement in Nioh. It's fluid, responsive, and very fast.

Heh, yes it is. The most important aspect of the combat to be honest.

I guess slow would be a better term? I'm just not used to this sort of action RPG. And the camera is a bit weird indoors.

Edit: What I mean is stuff like you can't break out of an attack to dodge/block (or maybe you can, as I said, I'm still early on). I understand that this isn't an action RPG but a Souls-type game, and this is how they play out. I didn't mean anything bad by it, and I do plan to invest time into getting better at this one unlike Demon's/Dark Souls.

I haven't played since the DLC launched and I jumped back in and I have an item that gives me 10000000 amrita. I jumped from level 196 to 210. Did I get this because of the DLC? Can you get more of these?

Also is it me or did counters (sword square attack) get slightly nerfed. They seem to only make enemies fall about 50% off the time instead of like 99% like I remember it.

xuchu

Also is it me or did counters (sword square attack) get slightly nerfed. They seem to only make enemies fall about 50% off the time instead of like 99% like I remember it.

Yeah, haze got a big nerf. Does 50% ki damage (~33% in way of the demon) instead of instantly sapping them to the ground ready for an iai into killing strike. Can still wombo combo situationally though. You can still use backwave or, even better, the shrike (dual sword counter) for the parry and punish when humans have full ki though.

I understand that this isn't an action RPG but a Souls-type game.

That exactly what Nioh is an Action RPG and thats what the Souls games are as well. But if you want it easy get the warrior of the west set, re-roll to get some good perks and just mash through the game.

Ventara

That exactly what Nioh is an Action RPG and thats what the Souls games are as well. But if you want it easy get the warrior of the west set, re-roll to get some good perks and just mash through the game.

Hmm, I don't know. I feel games like Nioh and Dark Souls have differentiated themselves quite a bit from the traditional action RPG games to categorize them as so, even if technically true. But thanks for the tip. Will keep an eye out for that set during my playthrough.

Ah, most excellent. Much appreciated.

I might not be able to upload it today mate, will try my best but can't promise anything. I had really busy day today and I'm not even home yet. I will get it up as soon as I can. How far are you in the game? NG, NG+, NG++? What weapons are you using? Sword plus spear? Are you willing to switch weapons if something different or would you rather have me adjust the build for the weapon types you're using?

And just so you know, you won't be able to one shot every boss on way of the demon, you will one shot quite a few but not all of them as they have much higher armor rating than way of the strong.

@Ventara make sure you're playing in action mode (60fps) I think Nioh has really fast combat but that also depends on a weapon type you're using but then still many of them are pretty fast in low stance.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just the DLC is about the length of one region from the base game. However you also get WotD.
+ broken PvP (or was that just the patch?)

Can't believe it got a patch and I STILL got the glitch where I was defeated with HP to spare (and time left). Netcode isn't any better either, frequent teleporting etc. :(

I might not be able to upload it today mate, will try my best but can't promise anything. I had really busy day today and I'm not even home yet. I will get it up as soon as I can. How far are you in the game? NG, NG+, NG++? What weapons are you using? Sword plus spear? Are you willing to switch weapons if something different or would you rather have me adjust the build for the weapon types you're using?

Hey, no worries bro, I understand. Whenever you can.
I'm in NG+, just unlocked the OMI region, using a master swordman dual katana + kingo katana. I used to roll with a dual katana + spear, but the spear got ditched for them kingo bonuses, alas.
I'm rather fond of my dual katanas(windstorm and sign of the cross ftw), but if it's too much trouble/not as effective I can change, yeah.

And just so you know, you won't be able to one shot every boss on way of the demon, you will one shot quite a few but not all of them as they have much higher armor rating than way of the strong.

I figured as much, but hey, I'll take what I can.

Yeah, haze got a big nerf. Does 50% ki damage (~33% in way of the demon) instead of instantly sapping them to the ground ready for an iai into killing strike. Can still wombo combo situationally though. You can still use backwave or, even better, the shrike (dual sword counter) for the parry and punish when humans have full ki though.

Damn that is quite the nerf and yet they are still okay with sloth.

Hmm, I don't know. I feel games like Nioh and Dark Souls have differentiated themselves quite a bit from the traditional action RPG games to categorize them as so, even if technically true. But thanks for the tip. Will keep an eye out for that set during my playthrough.

Action RPG's is a very diverse genre but whatever. If you are use to loot systems with stacked abilities, rerolling and matching you can take advantage of this early on if you find it too hard but prepared to grind. If your not its quite a lot to figure out and will require some forethought. Like H3rTz DoNuT says low stance is fast mode especially with the duel swords plus add in skills for more power and take advantage of perks, learn to pulse/flux and you negate the ki pace.

IvorB

So, is everyone enjoying the new update? I don’t really support this type of bite-size DLC to be honest but it’s still tempting. Anyway, still playing some other stuff at the mo’ so not sure when I will come back to this. Do I need to complete NG+ to access Way of the Demon?

One thing that concerns me is the amount of fiddling they are doing with stuff in a single-player game, to the point of de-leveling people. Man, if I had put time and effort into levelling up and had been de-levelled I would be pretty pissed off.

Caim

So, is everyone enjoying the new update? I don’t really support this type of bite-size DLC to be honest but it’s still tempting. Anyway, still playing some other stuff at the mo’ so not sure when I will come back to this. Do I need to complete NG+ to access Way of the Demon?

One thing that concerns me is the amount of fiddling they are doing with stuff in a single-player game, to the point of de-leveling people. Man, if I had put time and effort into levelling up and had been de-levelled I would be pretty pissed off.

Yeah since WoTD is essentially NG++

xuchu

Damn that is quite the nerf and yet they are still okay with sloth.

Yeah, I'm still salty about the nerf cos haze into iai just felt so good. Not sure why they decided to target haze specifically (maybe to give water shadow, the triangle parry, more of a purpose) seeing as you can do the same combo with dual swords using the shrike parry and sign of the cross. Can't really do this with backwave due to a combination of enemies getting up rather quickly and not being able to ki pulse iai to shorten the startup animation.

I've seen people complain that in way of the demon (NG++ if you don't know) sloth only works for 5 seconds. Haven't tested myself as I've never really used sloth. But that's still 5 seconds of, what is essentially, free damage and if you know what you're doing and plan accordingly you can end a boss in that 5 seconds. People can play however they want but I wouldn't be surprised if they make bosses immune to sloth in the next difficulty addition. It'll really hurt those who rely on sloth if they haven't learnt boss patterns and phases (cos there really is no need to with sloth) going back to way of the samurai and when the higher difficulties add, change up boss moves and accelerate phases shifts they'll struggle to keep up mechanically.

IvorB

Yeah since WoTD is essentially NG++

Ah okay. Thanks for the info.

So, this all becomes complicated to plan now if I decide to spring for this DLC. Maybe I should just abandon Way of the Samurai completely and aim to complete Way of the Strong so I can get the new difficulty. To be honest, Way of the Strong wasn’t that exciting and didn’t really feel like a step up in difficulty. Is Way of the Demon actually hard? Also, where does the new region fit in difficulty/gear-wise?

So as somebody who has not finished their first ever play through:

What is Way of the Samurai, Way of the Demon, etc?

Edit: and what is Sloth lol. Level 85 and I still feel like a noob around you guys :p

IvorB

So as somebody who has not finished their first ever play through:

What is Way of the Samurai, Way of the Demon, etc?

Edit: and what is Sloth lol. Level 85 and I still feel like a noob around you guys :p

Names for the difficulty modes. Samurai = normal, Strong = NG+ and Demon = NG++ (part of the DLC). You are on Way of the Samurai. You can see this on the world map.

Sloth is an Omyou technique with a reputation for being cheap and OP. The effect is to slow the target.

xuchu

Is Way of the Demon actually hard? Also, where does the new region fit in difficulty/gear-wise?

I really liked WotD. It switches up spawns again and adds random elites (stronger red, glowing enemies that have buffs) patrolling the map. They're fun to fight and nice added challenge. Don't get it twisted though, with the right gear and builds you'll still trivialise content. And that's perfectly ok :) there has to be a reward for all the farming and reforging should you pursue it. I enjoy both the min maxing side and challenge run side. Nioh caters to both.

The Dlc region is around the same difficulty as end game omi region. 3 (2 and half really) main missions and 7 sub missions that will probably take you 4 hours to complete. If you liked the base game, this is more of the same. Two new yokai with variants that are quite fun to fight. There are a few pallette swap enemies some with, unfortunately, no difference to their vanilla counterpart and others that have new weapons. But if enemy variety was your chief concern it will, most likely, still remain your chief concern. Having said that, I still like the new region overall.

Raptor

What the fuck at tachibana muneshige?

Died 30 times in a row, his patter is all over the place man.

The only solition I can find is go to the next area and farm and farm to come back overleveled and kill his ass.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

The only solition I can find is go to the next area and farm and farm to come back overleveled and kill his ass.

Another solution is to
git gud

(I totally came back a mission or two later myself)

N° 2048

You can use the rock to your advantage if that's your thing :p

Izuna

Banned

There's a magic ability that basically renders him useless.

I forget the name. Someone else, take the lead!

You can do the same thing with other weapons like dual sword though.

How is the damage of final blow for dual swords? Is it as high as katana? Honest question as I didn't play much with dual swords. If it's lower then maybe that was the reason for not nerfing dual swords or mabe they will do it next time.

IvorB

I really liked WotD. It switches up spawns again and adds random elites (stronger red, glowing enemies that have buffs) patrolling the map. They're fun to fight and nice added challenge. Don't get it twisted though, with the right gear and builds you'll still trivialise content. And that's perfectly ok :) there has to be a reward for all the farming and reforging should you pursue it. I enjoy both the min maxing side and challenge run side. Nioh caters to both.

The Dlc region is around the same difficulty as end game omi region. 3 (2 and half really) main missions and 7 sub missions that will probably take you 4 hours to complete. If you liked the base game, this is more of the same. Two new yokai with variants that are quite fun to fight. There are a few pallette swap enemies some with, unfortunately, no difference to their vanilla counterpart and others that have new weapons. But if enemy variety was your chief concern it will, most likely, still remain your chief concern. Having said that, I still like the new region overall.

Okay that’s good. I don’t think they switched up the enemy placement much if at all for Way of the Strong which was a bit disappointing. I wasn’t that concerned with enemy variety per se. I don’t mind fighting the same enemies but I at least like them to be put into new and interesting combinations. Roaming elites sounds great and is something I feel like every game should have. Love that sh*t in Diablo.

Does anyone else have issues with never-ending games this gen? I remember the days when you could finish a game and it stayed finished. Now I just feel like I have all these never-ending games just accumulating.

xuchu

How is the damage of final blow for dual swords? Is it as high as katana? Honest question as I didn't play much with dual swords. If it's lower then maybe that was the reason for not nerfing dual swords or mabe they will do it next time.

Very similar damage with single katana slightly edging it out due to the damage from behind mystic art. Dual swords just deals it killing strike damage from two damage sources, so you'll see two lower numbers, rather one big one with single katana. It ends being almost equivalent when stacking high killing strike damage on gear not to mention that you can now stack both sign of cross damage on weapon and set bonus in addition to separate skill damage on your weapon, clan and GS passive.

I'm fine with the nerf and I still use haze situationally but it's not consistent with other weapons. And really when people can two shot each other with kunai I think they have bigger things to balance when it comes to PVP.

Raptor

Lifeseal Talisman

Lifeseal you say, well Il have to take a look, but since I dont have points to create one I will go to do a couple more missions to put at 9 Heart and Body to get hose Warrior of the west buffs active.

:)

I manage to take down his life to a 1/10 just by "being gud" dodging and stuff but at the end he decides to alter his pattern on his move that he likes to spam and got me.

Very similar damage with single katana slightly edging it out due to the damage from behind mystic art. Dual swords just deals it killing strike damage from two damage sources, so you'll see two lower numbers, rather one big one with single katana. It ends being almost equivalent when stacking high killing strike damage on gear not to mention that you can now stack both sign of cross damage on weapon and set bonus in addition to separate skill damage on your weapon, clan and GS passive.

I'm fine with the nerf and I still use haze situationally but it's not consistent with other weapons. And really when people can two shot each other with kunai I think they have bigger things to balance when it comes to PVP.

I think Sing if Cross is also on to nerf list and will get hit sooner or later. Haze nerf doesn't bother me much as I always liked water shadow more, insta kill for me but I can see people being upset about it.

As far as pvp goes I still think it was a mistake in the first place. They try to balance things but there is no balance at all and I doubt there ever will be.

I think they also nerfed forging with 1.09, but it might be just a really bad luck for me.

Jamiaro

I need some ideas.

What is a good armor-combination if I want to use a Spear and a Sword?

I'm thinking either:

Fanatic+4 and Japan's Bravest+4

OR

Kingo+4 and WotE+4/Japan's Bravest+4.

I really like Suzaku/Kato and Fire in general, other fave is Lightning. :/

I need some ideas.

What is a good armor-combination if I want to use a Spear and a Sword?

I'm thinking either:

Fanatic+4 and Japan's Bravest+4

OR

Kingo+4 and WotE+4/Japan's Bravest+4.

I really like Suzaku/Kato and Fire in general, other fave is Lightning. :/

Really depends on a lot of tgings. Are you into heavy, nedium or light armot? Do you want to be agility A B or C dtc.

If you into fire, go with Warrior of the West, Bow, Sword and Head piece for ccd bonus, and Red Demon 5 pieces, spear, chest, gloves, legs and boots. All that plus yasakani magatana. Red Demon will give you ccd, damage to scorched and ki recovery, pair this with kato primary and komori secondary. As a second ranged weapon use Hand cannon with 30% fire damage and Agility A bonus. Roll on the Spear and Sword ccd +20%, familiarity damage A, change to attack (of your choice) to A+or AA. Add damage to scorched enemies on both weapons, I think 25% is the max and with Red Demon you will have 60% extra damage to scorched. +15% scorched status for facter scorching. The sword us water baded so you gonna have to infuse it with fire talismans. You can also get +% fire damage on accessories if you're lucky.

At least that's what I would do if I was into fire ;)

Jamiaro

Really depends on a lot of tgings. Are you into heavy, nedium or light armot? Do you want to be agility A B or C dtc.

If you into fire, go with Warrior of the West, Bow, Sword and Head piece for ccd bonus, and Red Demon 5 pieces, spear, chest, gloves, legs and boots. All that plus yasakani magatana. Red Demon will give you ccd, damage to scorched and ki recovery, pair this with kato primary and komori secondary. As a second ranged weapon use Hand cannon with 30% fire damage and Agility A bonus. Roll on the Spear and Sword ccd +20%, familiarity damage A, change to attack (of your choice) to A+or AA. Add damage to scorched enemies on both weapons, I think 25% is the max and with Red Demon you will have 60% extra damage to scorched. +15% scorched status for facter scorching. The sword us water baded so you gonna have to infuse it with fire talismans. You can also get +% fire damage on accessories if you're lucky.

At least that's what I would do if I was into fire ;)

B-Agility would be fine. I mainly use a spear, sword is a back-up in narrow corridors and such.

Some sort of LW-build would be fun, but MORE SPEAR would be good also. I've read great things about Japans Bravest etc...

B-Agility would be fine. I mainly use a spear, sword is a back-up in narrow corridors and such.

Some sort of LW-build would be fun, but MORE SPEAR would be good also. I've read great things about Japans Bravest etc...

Japan Bravest is good if you want to spam Tornado, if that's your thing then go for it.

xuchu

The first boss of the dlc -
Date Shigezane
- is such a well designed boss at level 1. You can play incredibly aggressively once you know the safe spots up close to him during attacks. He's so much fun to fight while using double stance change flux and sheath cancelling to get back into a neutral state after side dashing. Well done Team ninja.

sEDLbh8.jpg

2MFfIze.jpg

The first boss of the dlc -
Date Shigezane
- is such a well designed boss at level 1. You can play incredibly aggressively once you know the safe spots up close to him during attacks. He's so much fun to fight while using double stance change flux and sheath cancelling to get back into a neutral state after side dashing. Well done Team ninja.

I think it's the best and most fun to fight boss in the game atm.

Top Bottom