• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Soar

Not gonna lie, that mysterious samurai is kicking my ass in one of the side missions. Wonder if I'm too low level, like 80 levels under haha. Fun, but exhausting fight. I swear I never get this tired fighting DS bosses, it's like extreme DDR almost. He just doesn't let up.

Edit: Got em, just gotta be patient and dance the right tune :).

xuchu

Not gonna lie, that mysterious samurai is kicking my ass in one of the side missions. Wonder if I'm too low level, like 80 levels under haha. Fun, but exhausting fight. I swear I never get this tired fighting DS bosses, it's like extreme DDR almost. He just doesn't let up.

Edit: Got em, just gotta be patient and dance the right tune :).

Don't worry about being too low level, as weapon/gear level is far more important in this game. In higher difficulties you'll be hundreds and hundreds of levels below what they recommend. For instance, I am 500 levels below it for missions on way of the Nioh and it's fine.

Just keep your weapons and armour up to date in terms of level and + value and you'll be ok.

Naite

Any impressions on Abyss mode by Gaffers? Haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Its fairly easy in the beginning. Enemies feel like theyre around Way of the Strong level. Those random modifiers can really fuck with you though. At floor 14, I encountered Ishida where every hit procs sloth on you and where he constantly regened 999 health, which was pretty difficult for my tank build to deal with.

xuchu

Its fairly easy in the beginning. Enemies feel like theyre around Way of the Strong level. Those random modifiers can really fuck with you though. At floor 14, I encountered Ishida where every hit procs sloth on you and where he constantly regened 999 health, which was pretty difficult for my tank build to deal with.

Ah cool, I've read that each 10 floors ups the difficulty. So floors 1-10 are way of the samurai. Floors 10-20 - way of the strong. Floors 20-30 - way of the demon. Floors 30-40 way of wise and floors 40+ way of Nioh. Apparently it's infitenely scaling but the damage/hp values cap off at way of the Nioh difficulty. Also apparently you can 'defile' your divine gear to have a random chance into it turning into an ethereal with higher chance the more floors you go. Nice change, will forge a divine hayabusa set and defile it into ethereal simply for style purposes.

For those interested in trophies and whatnot, the final stand trophy is way of the demon exclusive. Completed all the new dlc missions first on way of th wise but it didn't pop. Just sped my way through way of the demon and it did though. I suspect this is so that people who only have this dlc alone will be able to get this trophy.

Speedran my way to the 4th region on way of the Nioh. Looking to be pretty much the same as way of the wise in terms of enemy composition but just higher hp and damage numbers. Still though, got one shot before so still get one shot now. If you learnt how to not get hit and punish effectively nothing has really changed. Still fun to be back to Nioh and muscle memory has come back quick.

Twookie

Just finished the last DLC's story missions.

I liked it a lot, way better than the former one for sure. Haven't really started on the sidemissions yet since I kinda wanna upgrade my build to something that's actually good.

Toyotomi Hideyori
was an absolute asshole, but once I just took it slow I finally got him down.

Nine Tailed Fox
was pretty easy in comparison (Thought
Hideyori
was the last boss but he might as well been, as he was much harder) but it was a nice setpiece.

gonna farm some revenants for that maria transformation yo HOHO

I'm ready for Nioh 2 now, day 0

Peroroncino

Any new weapon type in the latest DLC?

After doing all my weeklys in Destiny 2 I'm gonna dive right back into the glorious world of Nioh.

It is crazy to me how content and stuff to do there is in this game. I guess I'm one of the few that likes going through the game five times with the new difficulties. I don't know if I will reach level 750+ but I love the time I have spent with this game.

Also I'm convinced TN removed +attack on gloves. I haven't seen any in entire playthrough. Did they replace them with +weapon attack and defense?

xuchu

It is crazy to me how content and stuff to do there is in this game. I guess I'm one of the few that likes going through the game five times with the new difficulties. I don't know if I will reach level 750+ but I love the time I have spent with this game.

Also I'm convinced TN removed +attack on gloves. I haven't seen any in entire playthrough. Did they replace them with +weapon attack and defense?

Hmmm, I've been able to temper + attack on my gloves. Just RNG.

xuchu

I'm sorry I meant inheritable +attack on gloves so you can put it on your other armor pieces. Inheritable's can't be tempered.

Ah, in that case go to the standard trading place. Last time I checked I think it was way of the strong death to bandits. Unless they changed something with trading again there should be a lot of +attack gloves there. Haven't tried any forging since patch 1.18 so I'm unsure if anything has changed.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man, I'm stuck at that
bird demon
boss in the last DLC. I'm playing on Way of the Strong because Way of the Demon is too brutal for me, but I'd feel really bad at returning to Way of the Samurai since I'm using ~180 divine+10 gear.

Incidentally, I screwed myself over by doing a bit of WotD 'cause the DLC is way too hard now (I'm only like, past Umi-Bozu in WotD) but in WotS all the drops are lesser so I can't use them.

But yeah that boss is destroying me, and I'm barely chipping at it.
The beak is obviously the weak point but the hitbox is hard to reach, by the time I'm well positioned in high stance to be able to hit the beak, I can barely get one, two hits in at the most, whereas spamming regular hits on the body, while doing less per hit, still seems like it has higher DPS. Even so my DPS is very low, I'm barely chipping at it. I had no such problem on the first boss or the Mysterious Samurai. Using a water katana, or fire or lightning dual kats as my best weapons, but none of those elements seem to be very good.

I don't know what to do... I'm using kats and dual kats, heart and skill are both at 99 and I've technically got better weapons than I'm supposed to for this difficulty level. WTF...

Naite

Do we have a number for the level cap of weapons/armor yet? I heard 300+50 but I already have level 304 gear from omi region.

Eusis

It's more economical to just make new gear rather than Soul Match if you're not dealing with Etherals, isn't it?

. . . Hell, probably more economical to farm those than soul match anyway, though I guess at least if you fail long enough there you'd get enough money to do a soul match up to a more relevant level.

xuchu

Does the Abyss exist independently of difficulty modes, or are there 5 different versions of it?

No, it doesn't matter which difficulty you start the Abyss you will always start at floor 1.

Floor 1-5 correlates Way of the Samurai.
Floor 6-10 correlates to Way of the Strong.
Floor 11-20 correlates to Way of the Demon.
Floor 20-30 correlates to Way of the Wise.
Floor 31+ is Way of the Nioh difficulty and you will have to complete the Queens Eyes on Way of the Nioh to unlock this and beyond.

I am currently at floor 53 and liking Abyss mode. Quick, repeatable content. You will be afflicted with 4 debuffs. There are 4 boats behind you going to a mini level that you can complete to get rid of a specific debuff. The colour of the debuff and boat flag corresponds to which one you will get rid of.

Most of the time you can easily just ignore the debuffs and rush the boss especially at lower levels. However, there are some nasty debuffs like being permanently afflicted by sloth or sludge (can't use items). In that case, I would suggest completing a plane (boat level).

You will gain 'defiled' gear which do not have stats and are unusable. You will also gain an item called 'droplet of decay' from bosses and you can use that to defile your divine items. When you've had enough and leave the Abyss your defiled gear has a random chance to turn into ethereal versions of it.

Be warned, if you die your guardian spirit will not only hold your amrita but also your defiled items, so always try to regain it quickly. There is also an item called bell of invocation that you can use to regain your GS, amrita and defiled items too.

When you leave you can also start of at the highest floor you have completed.

Lork

Neat. When you defile your own gear does it overwrite any of the affixes? It took an absolutely obnoxious amount of time to get the rolls right for my spear, so it would be a damn shame if I couldn't make it ethereal without losing some of them.

xuchu

Neat. When you defile your own gear does it overwrite any of the affixes? It took an absolutely obnoxious amount of time to get the rolls right for my spear, so it would be a damn shame if I couldn't make it ethereal without losing some of them.

No, the affixes will be the same which is good. Even if it doesn't turn ethereal you will still have the divine weapon, so you can do it again.

I forged a good divine dragon sword with star iai QuickDraw and defiled it and it turned ethereal after a few tries.

Do we have a number for the level cap of weapons/armor yet? I heard 300+50 but I already have level 304 gear from omi region.

I've completed the very highest level missions in way of the Nioh in the new dlc region and the drops are level 300. I think there is a small chance of 301-310 gear dropping from red enemies same as before for 251-260 gear.

I wish I had read your post before going in xuchu :p

I was at floor 20 and had the sludge debuff against Okatsu with damage boost and some sloth on hit buff. I just couldn't do shit and I don't see how to beat a boss like that with debuff like that lol

Anyway, I wanted to get my guardian back but without being in combat so I figured the best way to do it was to die twice....
Bad idea xD

Lork

The "Hold Triangle" living weapon attack for katanas is a jumping slash, right? I would try popping living weapon from critical health and spamming that attack. Use "Soul of a Proud Samurai" items or whatever they call them to refill your LW gauge between attempts if it seems promising but you don't quite make it.

Ah, in that case go to the standard trading place. Last time I checked I think it was way of the strong death to bandits. Unless they changed something with trading again there should be a lot of +attack gloves there. Haven't tried any forging since patch 1.18 so I'm unsure if anything has changed.

I got a pair on my first revenant. Such weird RNG. Thanks.

ZangBa

I don't know if I can handle going through the entire game a 5th time, it's torture at this point lol. The new mode is cool but I feel like it's something that should have been added in the first DLC? It just feels really LTTP at this point. I'm really not looking forward to fucking Otani again in WotN.

Caim

Anyone has got tips against the bird boss in the 3rd DLC? See my post above. My damage seems abnormally low all of a sudden...

I didn't bother with trying to break the horn, I stay at close range to bait the tail sweep over and over until they decide to do the tornados and then repeat.

If you try to keep distance sometimes it does an aerial charge attack that has ridiculous tracking.

In the Yokai Illustrations it says it has no weakness and only resists poison.

Damn I can not beat the final boss in DLC 3, he is a damage sponge! I had no trouble up to this point and I feel like my weapon is strong for where I am. It has good attack stats and is 250+32 on Way of the Wise. Is there some sort of strategy to weaken it?

Peroroncino

Any easy ways to level up currently? I'm at 2nd main mission of the second DLC and recommended level is 200 and I'm currently sitting at 155 lol...

Soar

Any easy ways to level up currently? I'm at 2nd main mission of the second DLC and recommended level is 200 and I'm currently sitting at 155 lol...

Played the entire game around 30-80 levels behind. A Gaffer even said he was 500 levels behind at NG++++ so gear matters much more than your level.

Peroroncino

Yeah I finished the 2nd DLC but boy does it suck getting one shotted by almost everything, I guess I need to invest in some divine shit and get it around +4/5.

Loved some of the areas, shame it was only 2 main missions, hopefully the 3rd one has more.

and fuck that 3x Date fight, barely finished it, every attack killed me -.-

Mesharey

Finished all the missions in Way of the Samurai, that tournament mission is gonna be haaard in other difficulties. Oo

Will try Abyss soon.

Lork

There was a tutorial message when I entered floor 6 that I accidentally skipped, and there doesn't seem to be any way to see it again. Does anybody know what it said?

Edit: Never mind, I think it was just saying that more abnormal status effects were unlocked.

While I'm asking questions, can an ethereal item have both an ethereal and a regular set bonus at the same time, or does one overwrite the other?

Finished all the missions in Way of the Samurai, that tournament mission is gonna be haaard in other difficulties. Oo

Finally beat the final boss of DLC3. Changed up my items and went with a Living Weapon buffs and it gave me the edge to victory. Now I'm on the tournament mission. Very long indeed, but I tried a few good attempts and made it to the dual boss part with the two guys and keep dying there. Even my losses have grown me ten levels. So whatever. I could see this being a nightmare on Way of the Nioh though.

a regular set bonus at the same time, or does one overwrite the other?

There is only one. There are orange exclusive piece set bonus's but you won't find them on any of the old armor and weapon pieces like Warrior of the West or anything like that.

xuchu

I liked this DLC a lot!
Found an easy/simple way to take down
Hayabusa. The new move for the Sword actually is pretty great and safe (provided when) against him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrSNeDm_9f8

Yeah, really like new sword move - flowing shadow. In fact most of the new weapon moves seem pretty good. In particular the charge moves for spear and tonfa cos you can follow up with a ki pulse dash attack to instantly ground human enemies.

Pretty sure you know this but you can backwave/parry his standard attack strings for a iai/final blow. His ninpo also has recovery frames where you can dash attack -> into ki pulse half charged iai that will cause him to crumple for a final blow.

Now farm him for
izuna drop
xD

Mesharey

Now I'm on the tournament mission. Very long indeed, but I tried a few good attempts and made it to the dual boss part with the two guys and keep dying there. Even my losses have grown me ten levels.
You probably done it, if not then you're almost done!

I read something in the patch notes but not sure, you can use more than 8 slots as shortcut?

xuchu

I read something in the patch notes but not sure, you can use more than 8 slots as shortcut?

Yes, talk to Tome - the blacksmith and you can buy access to 8 more item shortcuts with your patronage points. Then go into individual game settings and you can choose either 2, 3 or 4 item shortcut bars. 4 was a bit much for me, so 3 was the sweet spot.

Yeah, really like new sword move - flowing shadow. In fact most of the new weapon moves seem pretty good. In particular the charge moves for spear and tonfa cos you can follow up with a ki pulse dash attack to instantly ground human enemies.

Pretty sure you know this but you can backwave/parry his standard attack strings for a iai/final blow. His ninpo also has recovery frames where you can dash attack -> into ki pulse half charged iai that will cause him to crumple for a final blow.

Now farm him for
izuna drop
xD

Yeah, that is true!

Yep, just wanted to make a point for those that struggle to take him, quite a few just play crazy and rely on Items and LW etc. So I think they would have a hard time with Parry and Backwave etc. I never thought about the opening after the Ninpo, Cool :)
Yeah I got it! So nice, but Team Ninja really need to patch it, so many times it hits but no actual follow up -
He won't do the actual drop, just launch the enemy.
I lack the Ninpo from him, I guess just more farming?

xuchu

Yeah, that is true!

Yep, just wanted to make a point for those that struggle to take him, quite a few just play crazy and rely on Items and LW etc. So I think they would have a hard time with Parry and Backwave etc. I never thought about the opening after the Ninpo, Cool :)
Yeah I got it! So nice, but Team Ninja really need to patch it, so many times it hits but no actual follow up -
He won't do the actual drop, just launch the enemy.
I lack the Ninpo from him, I guess just more farming?

Yeah, I've had that happen quite a few times, where he just does the launcher, but I think it might be when they don't have enough health and die just to the launcher damage. I may be wrong though.

Yeah, just farm him for the ninpo. 7pc Hayabusa set bonus is also true dragon sword - complete with the jewel and causes the dragon sword to glow purple just like in NG.

Mesharey

Yes, talk to Tome - the blacksmith and you can buy access to 8 more item shortcuts with your patronage points. Then go into individual game settings and you can choose either 2, 3 or 4 item shortcut bars. 4 was a bit much for me, so 3 was the sweet spot.
Thanks!
I used 3 too, 4 will be annoying when you're in tight situations.

Hayabusa doesn't wanna give me
Izuna Drop
. -.-
Drop rate increases if I select Strong+? I'm farming in Samurai difficulty.

Braaaaahhh Team Ninja are you serious with that final side mission. How the fuck am I supposed to beat that solo. On Way of the Wise no less. I tremble thinking of Way of the Nioh.

Anybody got any tips other then co op? I have beaten every mission on every difficulty so far using sword only solo but now I think I'm in real trouble and I really don't wanna do co op to win.

Edit: Then I saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFffbTaP2zY

Is sword to fair for this game? Must I go so cheap?

Top Bottom