• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Yeah, I've had that happen quite a few times, where he just does the launcher, but I think it might be when they don't have enough health and die just to the launcher damage. I may be wrong though.

Yeah, just farm him for the ninpo. 7pc Hayabusa set bonus is also true dragon sword - complete with the jewel and causes the dragon sword to glow purple just like in NG.

Oh, maybe that is the reason.
Ok, awesome!

xuchu

I have become Nioh:

9UvXQkh.jpg

Ogawa-san

I started over a couple weeks ago to de-rust, went with tonfas since I hadn't tried them yet.

I thought people were exaggerating about them sucking, but I guess not... Do they get better with specific builds or gear? Not sure if I should stick with them, I have almost all skills by this point and I still feel I could pick up any other weapon and get things done faster and less frustratingly - every time Pulverize misses half the hits because the enemy stumbled a step to the side I die a little inside.

I started over a couple weeks ago to de-rust, went with tonfas since I hadn't tried them yet.

I thought people were exaggerating about them sucking, but I guess not... Do they get better with specific builds or gear? Not sure if I should stick with them, I have almost all skills by this point and I still feel I could pick up any other weapon and get things done faster and less frustratingly - every time Pulverize misses half the hits because the enemy stumbled a step to the side I die a little inside.

Not really, not in comparison to the other weapons. People only use them because they really really want to use them, there's not really any benefit to using them over the other weapons. There's also no reason to ever start over. Buy a book of reincarnation at the shop and you get all of your skills and points back and you can redistribute them however you want. If you ever make it to way of the demon you will probably have enough skill points for all the weapons by then.

Naite

I think I'm done with the game for now. I've completed everything on WotW and beat queen's eyes on WotN to unlock floor 30+ of abyss but I dont really feel motivated to keep on going. I really enjoyed these dlcs but I'm pretty burnt out on trying to get better gear and optimizing my build.

I used gunsticks with 20% extra devastation damage since the last dlc til now. It's great for quick bursts of damage. There's a new charge attack that does a lot of damage, but with less range/damage as charge attacks from other weapons. Against human bosses/revenants, you can combo the charge attack into devastation (w/o explosion) for a knockdown, into finisher attack into another devastation (w/ explosion) from behind. There's also a new purple stat on gloves that increases close combat damage on hit, but it doesn't last very long. The 2nd hit of devastation is fast enough to land while that buff is active, but I haven't really tested to see how significant the buff is.

All the other tonfa skills are pretty meh in comparison. They also nerfed tonfas with this DLC. Low stance heavy used to travel pretty far, and was very reliable for breaking horns. Now it barely moves anywhere.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Welp, finally progressed tonight. Beat the bird, and then the main story missions. Must have died to the Nine-Tail Fox another 25+ times, that charge OHKO attack (on Way of the Strong only, even) is cheap as hell. It's very telegraphed, but I often failed to dodge it regardless because the hitbox is so large. :\

I tried the duel boss rush mission, forgot what it's called, with all the warriors and annoying wind/fire spear-guy at the end. I gave up on NG+, the first few guys are easy but it takes forever to whittle down their health, and then Sasuke is pretty tough and spear-guy mixed with the summoner is just ridiculous since he can kill you so fast and then you have to start all over again. -_- I restarted it on Way of the Samurai just to check and it was far more manageable, still not that trivial.

How is this possible though? I ventured into Way of the Demon so I have level 175-190 divine gear (each upgraded to +10-12 or so) with decent properties (my water katana has A scaling in Heart, level 186 and costs too much to Soul Match now xD still the best weapon I got, got some decent elemental dual kats too), I got 99 in both Heart and Skill, you'd think I'd be annihilating a side-mission in Way of the Strong, but even with lots of guard breaks, final blows, sign of the cross (or iai draw) the generic warriors take forever to kill, and some of them can still 2-shot me (I got ~3600 HP, about 27 in Body).

What am I doing wrong? It sucks because all the gear I find in the NG+ DLC missions is useless compared to my early NG++ gear, but the NG++ DLC is just way too hard for me to play in that mode, but my damage output (and input lol) is still bad...

Edit: from memory, my attack rating on my best weapons are between 1600-1800

That side mission with Nine Tails and his buddy on WotD made me rage bad. I think I died over 200 times in a row before I got lucky and beat it.
Oh gods, I don't even wanna know...

Eusis

I found that for higher difficulties what worked best was to brute force and summon help... and got for a LW build. Just cheese through so you can get/make better gear.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't have Plus and I don't want to summon anyway.

I guess I'd have to respec to make those LW cheese builds? I don't even know what they are to be honest, just heard about them many times. But if that involves its own grind for gear/rerollings, then fuck that...

Edit: FWIW I wouldn't necessarily want to make a cheese build either. I just want to improve my odds. Maybe there's a method, a combo, a spell/ninjutsu combination that I haven't thought of or something. I typically use Weaken (effective for damage boost but doesn't last long), Quick-Change scroll (borderline essential with so much OHKO attacks), and the Guardian Spirit talisman which can help in a pinch but isn't OP or anything. I have Power Pill but rarely use it since it expires so fast and I found the difference in damage to be underwhelming.

I also focus on attacking most enemies from the back with the katana, since I have the Mystic Art that boosts this (it's basically double, isn't it? the difference is huge), but even that isn't quite enough, especially on fast enemies like ninja warriors.

Eusis

I've mainly used the Suzaku spirit combined with the fanatic gear, and some spells to build the gauge faster (earn Amrita with each attack and have the gauge go up faster.)

It IS really lame that going into the DLC isn't a smooth, natural curve up from the end of NG. And Way of the Demon is needed for 150+ gear.

xuchu

There's no need to go for a LW build in this game. I've completed all of the main and side missions in the highest difficulty using only a single sword or dual sword w/ no LW and barely any ninjutsu and onmyo outside of second chance ninjutsu cos I have only 10 body (but you get one shot even with 99 body in higher difficulties anyway). Never liked LW and as far as I can tell they're playing an entirely different game than me as it resembles dynasty warriors.

Here's my advice Morrigan. For human enemies, go to Marobashi and practice single sword backwave -> final blow or dual sword shrike -> final blow until you can do it with your eyes closed and against all the different weapon types. There are more advanced things like iai loops but just focus on that and you will be able to deal with any human enemy including the fast ninja warriors. When human bosses are in buffed LW form, they mostly can't be parried but their ki meter does not regen. So treat them as Yokai and do steady ki damage to force a knockdown.

For yokai - especially in the new dlc where openings are small - practice a low stance dash attack -> then ki pulse into fully charged iai/SotC -> ki pulse into low stance dash attack -> ki pulse into iai/sotc -> ki pulse low stance dash att... and so on and so on. Just practice that easy loop until you get it down. You'll only ever use the first part of that loop but it helps with muscle memory. Again there are more advanced things like sheath cancelling but just practice that for now.

So with big yokai bosses like nine tails, bait out the grab attack, dash back to out range it and punish with a dash attack and ki pulse iai (Doesn't matter if you're in front as if you go through it with the iai you will get the behind the back damage bonus) then quickly dash out for a reset. Nine tails does a no damage or knockback roar after the grab attack though so you can sneak in another iai there. Iai/SotC also does monstrous ki damage so after a few you'll ki break them and be able to chain a few on them. On higher difficulties though it's very hard to ki break them as they have a metric ton of hp and ki.

Going through the 3rd dlc on my level 1 character atm -
Grand tournament and everlasting duty is gonna be insane
- and by the end of next week I should be able to give more detailed boss moveset tips if need be.

I have become Nioh

Nice work! I probably won't try this, not so fan of Yokai and redo certain missions, the human bosses are much more fun for me. But these past few days I played much more than I thought I would.

When was Tempest/Backwave redone? Was it to get more people to land it?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Here's my advice Morrigan. For human enemies, go to Marobashi and practice single sword backwave -> final blow or dual sword shrike -> final blow until you can do it with your eyes closed and against all the different weapon types. There are more advanced things like iai loops but just focus on that and you will be able to deal with any human enemy including the fast ninja warriors. When human bosses are in buffed LW form, they mostly can't be parried but their ki meter does not regen. So treat them as Yokai and do steady ki damage to force a knockdown.

For yokai - especially in the new dlc where openings are small - practice a low stance dash attack -> then ki pulse into fully charged iai/SotC -> ki pulse into low stance dash attack -> ki pulse into iai/sotc -> ki pulse low stance dash att... and so on and so on. Just practice that easy loop until you get it down. You'll only ever use the first part of that loop but it helps with muscle memory. Again there are more advanced things like sheath cancelling but just practice that for now.

So with big yokai bosses like nine tails, bait out the grab attack, dash back to out range it and punish with a dash attack and ki pulse iai (Doesn't matter if you're in front as if you go through it with the iai you will get the behind the back damage bonus) then quickly dash out for a reset. Nine tails does a no damage or knockback roar after the grab attack though so you can sneak in another iai there. Iai/SotC also does monstrous ki damage so after a few you'll ki break them and be able to chain a few on them. On higher difficulties though it's very hard to ki break them as they have a metric ton of hp and ki.
Thanks for the tips. Thing is, I already do most of those things, especially against human enemies, though I'm not that skilled that I can shrike/parry every single attack perfectly (especially the quicker ones when they're in low stance), and I'm not patient enough to just wait when they are blocking constantly, so sometimes I resort to Moon Shadow to break their ki when they're turtling. My loop against them is usually Shrike -> Final Blow -> Sign of the Cross, then either try to repeat it, or if they start turtling, God of Wind or Moon Shadow them.

My problem is that I'm not patient. For long boss rush missions like this where you get a whole bunch of easy dudes that are long to whittle down, and then a last dude who's quite tough and can kill you at the slightest mistake, I just stop having fun and I simply want higher raw damage. Playing this mission (the underworld one in the 3rd DLC, with fire/spear dude at the end), for example, in Way of the Samurai, was actually fun, if a little too easy; a perfect balance would be the earlier warriors to have the same amount of HP, but they'd hit harder, and the boss would be the same as Way of the Strong. That way if I did die to the boss at least retrying wouldn't be so frustrating because I could take them down fast. Right now even with those loops, even if I perfected them, it still takes too long for me.

I wish they hadn't nerfed my Windstorm... ;_;

Looks like you can farm The Three Souls again in WotN. After getting the 3 crystals that give 1B Amrita, the next runs gives the 3 crystals that give 100M Amrita that was patched out of WotW last time.

xuchu

When was Tempest/Backwave redone? Was it to get more people to land it?

I don't think it was ever redone as it's still the same it has been since vanilla (At least I think it is). Timing is pretty strict and can't really spam the guard button though - like some do - cos in higher difficulties they'll just break your guard and one shot you.

However with a bit of practice it's quite possible to do it on reaction. Been using it ever since haze parry was nerfed,
I'm still super salty about it.

In my experience, the timing was significantly more strict before (atleast from launch till May, maybe longer, I did not play much). For the Sword, I recall you could use it in all stances, atleast Mid and Low, but now it's Mid only. My thought was that they limited it to Mid, but opened up the window, so it is easier to land for more players. If all this is not the case, I must be much better than before. But I doubt it.

Yeah, I loved the original Haze, but thankfully tempest is just as good when it comes to
knocking them down without them being out of Ki.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I can't do some of the DLC missions on Way of the Strong, lol. Fuck this. Especially you-know-who and the Fox + Samurai dude. Did them in NG and the Fox + Dude mission was already pretty tough, though I did win in the end. Sadly, the ninja was too easy, but on NG+ he's just too strong. :\ I wish there were a better balance.

Question about the Abyss, I got to floor 6 and there was a message about a random debuff always being there from now on, or something, but I didn't quite have the time to read everything and the message disappeared. Am I correct in assuming that, even if you get rid of all 4 debuffs, you will get a random one at the boss regardless? Also, is this random debuff (if that's what it does) completely random every time, or it's always one of the four that was present? Does it change at every retry?

Thanks.

xuchu

Yeah, you may be right about the timing of tempest/backwave then. Never did use it all that much until muh haze was nerfed T_T

And yeah, while I loved the dual boss missions in the base game, I am really not a fan of this one in the 3rd dlc. Two kings and meeting on the other shore were brilliantly balanced by putting a faster opponent together with a slower one. This way they would naturally separate and you would have good damage windows.

In this one though, not only are they both quite fast but it's also really really bad that've put a huge opponent in with a smaller human sized one. The entire point that makes the dual boss fights work is that you can keep them both on screen at the same time so you know what they are doing. You can't do that here cos nine tails fully obscures Hideyori. What's even worse is that Hideyori's ranged attacks go straight through nine tails. That's so stupid!

I can't just blow them up in 5 seconds like these cheese builds but eventually did it with lot of patience, never again though.

It also may just be my eyes or maybe I have to change my TV settings but some of the nine tails attacks and telegraphs are hard to see as they blend in with the background for me. The thrown rocks especially.

I cant backwave to save my life i amways die after attempting it. I can nail haze everytime. So i still use haze 100% of tge time.

Same here. I've watched the YouTube tutorial videos and somehow can't get Backwave down at all to save my life. I have no issue with the other parries somehow.

I need to hit that first level and just practice it until I get it down. Hate not being able to grasp a cool move...and it sure looks really cool.

Same here. I've watched the YouTube tutorial videos and somehow can't get Backwave down at all to save my life. I have no issue with the other parries somehow.

I need to hit that first level and just practice it until I get it down. Hate not being able to grasp a cool move...and it sure looks really cool.

When did you try? I thought I could not do it anymore, but then I found out it's only in Mid stance, I use Low a lot so I always tried there to no avail. Also, practice Axe enemies first, or spear ( in high stance) and maybe Okatsu's charging move for some, that is probably the easiest to parry and Backwave. You have to be aware what stance the enemy is in so you narrow down what he might do. Maybe just let them attack you a lot while you hold block, so you get the feel for how long their animation takes. Like xuxhu wrote, don't mash L1, you could mash it after the first part though :)

I will double dip at the Steam version for sure. Have to support such games on my preffered platform. But it is kinda forcing me to stop playing the PS4 version right now. Don't have to be burned out for the PC version.

Izuna

Banned
Instead of finishing DLC 3 on my PS4 save I played for like, 150 hours... I will wait for the Steam version. I got Uni and shit anyway to deal with.

Fuck, looking at the first OT I was super into this game all the way through.

I am hoping for some save transfer thing tho.

i was slacking, now done with all dlc on default. back to demon....

my damage is still shit and i'm killed by one grab, yikes. time to get better gear :/

When did you try? I thought I could not do it anymore, but then I found out it's only in Mid stance, I use Low a lot so I always tried there to no avail. Also, practice Axe enemies first, or spear ( in high stance) and maybe Okatsu's charging move for some, that is probably the easiest to parry and Backwave. You have to be aware what stance the enemy is in so you narrow down what he might do. Maybe just let them attack you a lot while you hold block, so you get the feel for how long their animation takes. Like xuxhu wrote, don't mash L1, you could mash it after the first part though :)

I will double dip at the Steam version for sure. Have to support such games on my preffered platform. But it is kinda forcing me to stop playing the PS4 version right now. Don't have to be burned out for the PC version.

Thanks for the pointers. I know it's a Mid Stance only skill, so I've only tried it in Mid Stance. I think it's the timing similar to all parrying. I get nervous and start bashing L1 I believe haha.

I need to get my ass into level 1 and just try until I have it down, period.

Thanks for the pointers. I know it's a Mid Stance only skill, so I've only tried it in Mid Stance. I think it's the timing similar to all parrying. I get nervous and start bashing L1 I believe haha.

I need to get my ass into level 1 and just try until I have it down, period.

Sure. Good luck :)

xclk07

I recognize this is a super lazy post, but I haven't played since the initial release. Got the platinum, but didn't do any of Way Of The Strong. Decided to boot up and start in with all the DLC out and.... uhm... I've forgotten how to play this game. On top of that, all the builds I tried previously seem to be quite outdated.

Soooooo... any good websites for builds to work-toward and/or a refresher?

(I recognize if I don't want to be lazy, I should go back and read through this thread, which I will most likely do).

I finally beat everlasting duty on WotW. I leveled up like 20 levels to 544 and difiled two living weapon focused y.magatamas to beef up my kato LW and pulled off a win. Now i can go back and beat dlc 3 on the easier difficulties and farm for that izuna drop before moving on to WotN.

Also still rocking sword only.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"Farm for the Izuna Drop"? It doesn't always drop (heheh) automatically when you beat Hayabusa?

Everlasting Duty has got to be the biggest NOPE mission I've seen so far. I did it on Way of the Samurai only and it was already not that trivial... -_-

Soar

Are you guys still getting the placeholder/missing item names and descriptions? It's a very small issue but surprisingly off putting for me so I've been shelving it for now.

xuchu

Are you guys still getting the placeholder/missing item names and descriptions? It's a very small issue but surprisingly off putting for me so I've been shelving it for now.

Go to the language settings in the title screen and change your language settings from English (UK) to English (US). That should fix the missing weapon names and placeholder text.

sometimes it's too much with these offscreen attacks. running from a red big axe and a few small umbrellas, dodging a big gun with insane fire rate i can take, but that tengu shooting me from behind makes feel like tuwizwurzweurz.

it's always team ninja.

Soar

Go to the language settings in the title screen and change your language settings from English (UK) to English (US). That should fix the missing weapon names and placeholder text.

Worked! Thanks very muchly.

sometimes it's too much with these offscreen attacks. running from a red big axe and a few small umbrellas, dodging a big gun with insane fire rate i can take, but that tengu shooting me from behind makes feel like tuwizwurzweurz.

it's always team ninja.

To be fair, at least the game is fluid enough that you can dodge all kinds of crap. Fighting multiple enemies using the weapon skills and sprint/dodge is amazing fun.

Tengus still suck though.

it's always team ninja.

It's not really an excuse as I'm also not a fan of excessive off-screen bullshit, but at least most of it can be dodged and/or sprinted away from quite easily. Maybe one of the few upsides of the lack of enemy variety is that you usually know the repertoire of any battle "scene" like hte back of your hand at point haha

Top Bottom