• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

brawly

Finally beat Date. Jesus christ.

Is he the end of the first DLC? Does the second DLC take place on the same map?

There's already a new mission available on the same map, I'm just curious.

edit: great, another bullshit boss appears, that didn't take long -_-

Eusis

I'm torn between dropping the game cold turkey so I play other shit or getting on the treadmill to see how powerful I can get. May want to at least get all DLC trophies eventually, I got all of the main game's, and Way of the Demon isn't a big deal once you've cleared Way of the Nioh.

Just kinda wish I didn't need cracked Ochoko cups for the abyss, I could just keep on jumping in and trying then. Or at least guarantee one for every time I help someone clear a floor.

Man Marobashi amrita farm on Way of the Nioh ain't no joke. This is really gonna help me pass those level 1080 stages and the DLC's. I used to think level 750 was completely out of the question but now I'm at level 659.

Looks like Team Ninja just nerfed the crap out of Living Weapon and certain graces builds with the latest patch. I really wish they would stop pulling this shit. It takes ages to get the gear for these builds and they just nerf them into the ground without so much as a warning or anything.

Curufinwe

Well, they certainly do up the ante quite a bit. The first story stage boss in the first DLC is pretty damn tough before you get a read on him. Nothing impossible, certainly, but tough.

I'm putting off TEW2 for a while, so I think I will give the Nioh DLC a go.

Yes, Return of the Gourd definitely needs two four swords yokai and a bunch of revenants with arrow spam before a double boss fight. For sure. Thank you Team Ninja. So generous.

Ogawa-san

Yes, Return of the Gourd definitely needs two four swords yokai and a bunch of revenants with arrow spam before a double boss fight. For sure. Thank you Team Ninja. So generous.
After all this time I'm still not sure if Nioh has straight up cheap moments (like this one) or simply encounters designed for much more skilled people than me.

But yeah, just seeing those turbo Namahage in the cutscene broke my spirit. I didn't even fight one yet, I stopped going through the DLC right there.

This game has too many duel bosses, I'd say. I didn't mind the yokai bosses other than Umi-bozu since they let you just do the typical dodge and attack routine, but some of the duel bosses are just tedious. Blocking when they should be vulnerable, weird tracking on some of their moves, phasing through your attacks because the game says they aren't allowed to be hit right now (straight out of Ninja Gaiden). Some are really cool, some are really awful (
real Tachibana Muneshige, who does almost NOTHING but spam uninterruptible Iai moves

What builds do you use?

Looks like the patch hit all the damage-boosts in critical status; they no longer proc during living weapon.

finished the game with dual swords and swordsman armor, sometimes tonfa. pretty plain actually. with atlas bear in critical moments.

i agree the game has too many dual boss special mission. i'd rather have stronger single fights.

NKnight7

Neo Member
After all this time I'm still not sure if Nioh has straight up cheap moments (like this one) or simply encounters designed for much more skilled people than me.

But yeah, just seeing those turbo Namahage in the cutscene broke my spirit. I didn't even fight one yet, I stopped going through the DLC right there.

I never thought I'd find a more annoying enemy than Raven Tengu's, but the Namahage eventually surpassed them after playing all of the DLC. Even after fighting countless, I still feel a little nervous whenever I encounter one. I still don't like Onyudo's (tongue yokai) either.

The training missions on way of the Nioh that make you use wooden weapons are stupidly hard. The health pools combined with the damage handicap of the wooden weapons is just maddening. It feels like their health poolswerebt toiled around the fact that you are dishing out substantially less damage than you would normally. The amount of combos and hits it takes to kill these enemies is straight up absurd. And don't even get me started on the damn Omnyo mission.

Baalzebup

I never thought I'd find a more annoying enemy than Raven Tengu's, but the Namahage eventually surpassed them after playing all of the DLC. Even after fighting countless, I still feel a little nervous whenever I encounter one. I still don't like Onyudo's (tongue yokai) either.
Alone, the Raven Tengu are rather simple to handle. They are more or less guaranteed to use the spin-kick if you move enough to the sides or right behind them. You can initiate it, back off, circle behind them again to make them do it all over again and hit them a few times before they start the kick once again. That chain can be looped 'till the Tengu falls dead.

I hear ya about the Namahage though. Facing one will always have that little bit of uncertainty. I rather like their inclusion for that, as the basic Oni are just too easy to handle nowadays, no matter how 'strong' they are.

brawly

I don't think I've ever done this much grinding (I loathe it). The game can get away with it because it's mechanically so much fun, but there is no way I'm ever replaying this DLC. Ever. I even have to grind for elixirs because the system is so fucked. Facing an end game boss with 4 elixirs is a fucking joke.

Got past Maria btw.

Deku Tree

I don't think I've ever done this much grinding (I loathe it). The game can get away with it because it's mechanically so much fun, but there is no way I'm ever replaying this DLC. Ever. I even have to grind for elixirs because the system is so fucked. Facing an end game boss with 4 elixirs is a fucking joke.

Got past Maria btw.

Collect the Kodama and you’ll always have eight elixirs from any shrine. I have never carried more than eight and been fine.

Deku Tree

There is only one main mission and I already have 8/10.

Well then you have five almost six elixers.

I finished the first three difficulty levels and I never grinder elixers and I have like 2000 of them in storage.

If you need some go back and do some side missions from previous areas and you’ll end up with extras.

brawly

Well then you have five almost six elixers.

I finished the first three difficulty levels and I never grinder elixers and I have like 2000 of them in storage.

If you need some go back and do some side missions from previous areas and you’ll end up with extras.

No, I have four, as I said. I already went back and got some.

I also finished the main game with largely ignoring the side missions and not having a clue about the forge. It's just this DLC that's so ridiculous to me.

Deku Tree

No, I have four, as I said. I already went back and got some.

I also finished the main game with largely ignoring the side missions and not having a clue about the forge. It's just this DLC that's so ridiculous to me.

Oh right you start with three and you get one more for each five kodama and there are 25 kodama in each area. For a total of eight.

If you have a charm with kodama sense then it helps to easily find them.

If you are up to Maria then you can go back and get all the kodama in the area pretty easily. Watch a video of where to find them if needed. It takes like 10 minutes to collect them all if you finished the missions already.

brawly

Oh right you start with three and you get one more for each five kodama and there are 25 kodama in each area. For a total of eight.

If you have a charm with kodama sense then it helps to easily find them.

If you are up to Maria then you can go back and get all the kodama in the area pretty easily. Watch a video of where to find them if needed. It takes like 10 minutes to collect them all if you finished the missions already.

Got past Maria btw.

I already beat Maria. I'm in "Osaka (Winter)".

edit: just got past Sasuke too. Couldn't have done it with less than 8 elixirs.

Eusis

I kind of feel it's worth plowing through Way of the Strong and reaching Way of the demon to get better gear on that difficulty, then tackling the DLC.

New patch screwed cheesing with the spear, so I went back to an Odachi build. Still getting fucked up though, I should just put it down since it's only Abyss grinding and some DLC trophies to mop up at this point.

xclk07

Do we know the weapon & armor + cut-off points for each difficulty? WotStrong seems to be +10? Does anyone know WotD, WotW, and WotN?

Is there a way to just not constantly die in one hit? I'm close to the end of the game and really tired of every single boss having an instant kill attack/ guard break combo/ some combination of the two.

Baalzebup

Is there a way to just not constantly die in one hit? I'm close to the end of the game and really tired of every single boss having an instant kill attack/ guard break combo/ some combination of the two.
Uh, yes? Getting better armor, using heavier armor, getting higher toughness, getting a weapon with higher Parry value, re-forging your weapon to get a reduction to Ki loss during blocking. Getting more levels to get more life. Reforging your armor to have better stats and specials. Also, your choice of Guardian Spirit(s) can make quite the difference.

And all this before the age old universal medicine of gittin' gud.

I always keep my armor up to date and it's never sufficient, even when I equip heavier armor. And the systems in this game are confusing. You can't even pick the stat that you get from reforging?

I'm at the "last" boss. And it's terrible. The camera doesn't properly follow
the heads so I have no idea when to dodge, and the breath attacks seem nigh-undodgeable as well. Can action games just stop putting huge spectacle bosses as their final battles? It's just awful. Only decent one was Bayonetta 1's.

Okay, just got killed by
Orochi
because it bugged out and refused to fall over even though it had 0 health, then killed me instantly with a projectile.
Managed to kill it this time but that is just unbelievable.

Picked up the discounted season pass, aw yeah time to get back into some nioh action.

It's going great, I'm bombarded by new features (weapons and second spirits? Oohhh), the first area has a solid design with some new foes.

Then I reach the boss and sweet cheese and crackers this centipede armed madman hits me like a runaway freight train on crack after breaking a monitor with a picture of Sonic's shoes. Two hits is all I can take, I'm getting the pattern down but man, the difficulty spike feels unreal.

Gonna have to come back tomorrow.

NKnight7

Neo Member
Picked up the discounted season pass, aw yeah time to get back into some nioh action.

It's going great, I'm bombarded by new features (weapons and second spirits? Oohhh), the first area has a solid design with some new foes.

Then I reach the boss and sweet cheese and crackers this centipede armed madman hits me like a runaway freight train on crack after breaking a monitor with a picture of Sonic's shoes. Two hits is all I can take, I'm getting the pattern down but man, the difficulty spike feels unreal.

I remembered when I fought him the first time it took me a couple of tries. I think what I did was I kept my distance and baited out the attacks that would let me run in and do a few hits before backing away. Once he only had a sliver of health left, I activated LW and that was that.

In terms of bosses, I think the first DLC was the hardest for me, second and third weren't as bad.

I remembered when I fought him the first time it took me a couple of tries. I think what I did was I kept my distance and baited out the attacks that would let me run in and do a few hits before backing away. Once he only had a sliver of health left, I activated LW and that was that.

In terms of bosses, I think the first DLC was the hardest for me, second and third weren't as bad.
Yeah that sounds like the plan, I was beginning to see which attacks were safest to approach on, just got to be careful not to slip up because this guy pounces on one error with deadly precision.

Fortunately it hasn't frustrated me yet even after 10 failed attempts.

The Centipede boss is one of the most single hitting damaging bosses in the game. Don't worry about your defense worry about your speed. Hit and run tactics work the best on him IMO. Bait a move like the far range spear throw and run up with a run attack hit him once and repeat. It might take a bit longer but it is a sure fire way of beating him, try it.

Making progress myself. Just hit level 750 and focused all my focus level into attack. Just about to start DLC3 now.

started way of the demon this morning.

all this time i was in the realm of Lv 150+8 weapon and armor and now the game became something else.

i now i have to rethink my economy a lot .i don't have to worry about amrita now but OH MY GOD , my money ...i spend it all reforging stuff

i'm broke.
And Godness this difficulty delivers .... every grapple is instant death for me i just don't have enough HP. every mistake is death now , oh my god. And all those regular ennemies that get buffs now for no reason , so intense.

can someone remind me the best way to get some THOUGHNESS ? i think i'm way to low on that

What discount?

started way of the demon this morning.

all this time i was in the realm of Lv 150+8 weapon and armor and now the game became something else.

i now i have to rethink my economy a lot .i don't have to worry about amrita now but OH MY GOD , my money ...i spend it all reforging stuff

i'm broke.
And Godness this difficulty delivers .... every grapple is instant death for me i just don't have enough HP. every mistake is death now , oh my god. And all those regular ennemies that get buffs now for no reason , so intense.

can someone remind me the best way to get some THOUGHNESS ? i think i'm way to low on that

Theres a perk on ethereal gear that boosts toughness by a percentage when above a certain ki level. You can also just get a + toughness stat on gear directly as well.

xclk07

i suppose etheral gear is the next rank after divine ? what color is it ?

The problem is that I don't think ethereals can drop until the next difficulty up (WotWise).

You can get toughness as an inheritable and soul match to put it on every item. I don't know if toughness past 200 actually does much of anything though?

The problem is that I don't think ethereals can drop until the next difficulty up (WotWise).

You can get toughness as an inheritable and soul match to put it on every item. I don't know if toughness past 200 actually does much of anything though?

My thougness stat is at 191 ... so i guess i need to raise my LIFE , then . (Currently at 4096 ) LIFE isn't much when some ennemies can give me 5000 in one attack lol

Ogawa-san

Man, I have no idea how to reliably deal with that kusarigama yokai. If I have a a full LS is 50/50 I survive, otherwise I'm probably dead.

And this is in WotStr... I might just run away every time in higher difficulties. I'm legit scared of them.

Top Bottom