• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

To be fair, at least the game is fluid enough that you can dodge all kinds of crap. Fighting multiple enemies using the weapon skills and sprint/dodge is amazing fun.

Tengus still suck though.

It's not really an excuse as I'm also not a fan of excessive off-screen bullshit, but at least most of it can be dodged and/or sprinted away from quite easily. Maybe one of the few upsides of the lack of enemy variety is that you usually know the repertoire of any battle "scene" like hte back of your hand at point haha

yup. another hate point: having wheel and cyclops in front of me. revenant boss snipes me straight through them.

There are only two bullshit normal enemy attacks IMO. The wheel monk's slow roll forward attack is so stupid. It does insane damage, more than it's fully charged spin attack it seems like most times. They only seem to do it when they are right next to you so it's really hard to evade at times cause it just looks like their walking towards you but they are attacking. The other bullshit move is the purple weapon blob thing's roll attack. Why is it bullshit? Cause in the Omi-Bozo boss that bastard hit me in the center of the stage and carried me all the way to the edge of the stage and knocked me off from offscreen. Why does it carry you so far...this has happened to me far to often.

Soar

The slowroll is deceptively dangerous yeah. Always dodge/strafe when fighting those things. Luckily they are very easy to exhaust ki-wise and you'll get free hits. Fighting those things in narrow corridors is a bad idea in any event unless you've got many water shots.

brawly

Decided to start fresh today and I'm greeted with two completely new weapon classes. What the hell? Awesome.

Picked both to start off and love 'em. Do new ones of those even drop in the non-DLC areas?

xclk07

I've been trying to get back into the game since plat-ing it when it came out and... yeesh. So many mechanics/builds/etc. that I didn't originally bother with. Trying to pull myself up by my bootstraps and learn as much as possible, but have a couple specific questions I can't figure out:

1. So when Sanada was added to the game, they gave him a new armor set smithing text? The Scion of Virtue armor wasn't the same as the Sanada Crimson set? The latter can still only be obtained by the Deluxe Edition and that's it? :-(

2. If #1 is true, it looks like the Fanatics set is the best to go for the Way Of The Strong (and maybe WotD) playthroughs?

3. When one forges new weapons and armor, it looks like levels are tied to game progression? If so, does anyone have breakpoints of levels? I don't want to get tied to something and soul match into ridiculous prices if I'm just going to get a level increase within the next segment of the game.

4. I've seen conflicting reports on what abilities can originally be forged on items. Are ALL abilities available for the get-go or not? Some seem to be ethereal-only class? Is there a list of what abilities are available for forging?

Thanks everyone!

Agreed on the Wheel Monk's slowroll, it's a little stupid. I've never seen the mini umi-bozo do that though...

The slowroll is deceptively dangerous yeah. Always dodge/strafe when fighting those things. Luckily they are very easy to exhaust ki-wise and you'll get free hits. Fighting those things in narrow corridors is a bad idea in any event unless you've got many water shots.

Coincidentally, the slowroll caught me out of nowhere last night and cost me something like 210,000 :/

NKnight7

Neo Member
Decided to start fresh today and I'm greeted with two completely new weapon classes. What the hell? Awesome.

Picked both to start off and love 'em. Do new ones of those even drop in the non-DLC areas?

Yep, I remember getting a few of the Odachi's for instance in the first area once William reaches Japan.

Ogawa-san

I could be imagining things but I got a 150+5 weapon while visiting someone tonight in a 160 mission (WotS). I'm still in WotStr myself. Did they change the level of loot that can drop while visiting to your own instead of the level's?

Is there some way you're actually supposed to beat Yuki Onna? Those projectiles in her second phase are just way too cheap and do far too much damage. I was only able to win by manipulating her health/ ki so she didn't enter the second phase until she was down to 1/3 health, and then I used Living Weapon.

Is there some way you're actually supposed to beat Yuki Onna? Those projectiles in her second phase are just way too cheap and do far too much damage. I was only able to win by manipulating her health/ ki so she didn't enter the second phase until she was down to 1/3 health, and then I used Living Weapon.

Stay close to her so she is baited to use her AOE , then punish quickly and retreat to a safe distance , since the aoe will kill you.
if she dashes , dodge with the right timing and resume as before. If you're close enough , she shouldn't be spamming projectiles.
Be patient. Use item and skills.

I must admit i'm biased since i use only weapons with a fire effect on them. So she doesn't last long against my build.

brawly

I abandoned my plan to replay the game and went back to old save instead.

I already tried the first DLC once, felt like I was too weak. My stats:

Level 104
Body: 20
Heart:20
Stamina: 18
Strength: 21
Skill: 49
Dexterity: 6
Magic: 5
Spirit: 7

My best weapons have about 840-850 attack. Any tips on how I can improve? I also have a shitton of weapons and armor, what's the best thing to do with them?

Thanks in advance.

xclk07

My best weapons have about 840-850 attack. Any tips on how I can improve? I also have a shitton of weapons and armor, what's the best thing to do with them?.

To my understanding, you want to be working toward builds with all Divine equip. So that means breaking now unneeded equip to forge the equip that you want (via smithing texts) and then reforge to get the best stats on things.

brawly

To my understanding, you want to be working toward builds with all Divine equip. So that means breaking now unneeded equip to forge the equip that you want (via smithing texts) and then reforge to get the best stats on things.

By breaking you disassemble? Everything that I don't need? Or just "exotic" weapons/armor? (the ones with colored names)

Can someone kindly give me an idiots breakdown on how best to use the blacksmith? I'm almost done with the third area now and I still have barely touched this part of the game, just getting gear from revenants. Basically I have a sword I'm rather fond of perks wise, but I've just got a much better sword lvl wise. Is there a way I can transfer perks (most notably the regain life from grappling perk) from my old sword to the new sword? Or is that impossible?

Otherwise, making decent progress. Finished another twilight mission this morning - which was supposed to be a lvl 30 mission, but between the Tengu and dual Yokai battles kicked my ass the last time it rolled around. Took me a few tries on a couple of points this time as lvl 75ish but I managed it. On the bright side, I've got the basic patterns of Tengu down now! Still loving the game, the Sloth Talisman seems like a game changer as well.

picked this game up in the sale. Went in thinking it was samuri dark souls.

Played first level and it kind of did. Seemed OK.

Played second level same way. Something felt off. got to boss and died like 10 times. Felt like I was getting hit when I should be in an i-frame etc etc.

Look online.... oh right this game is not really souls like at all outside of the checkpoint and exp system. Need to play it closer to something like Ninja Gaiden. Went back and it seems to make a lot more sense.

I think I am at the boss of the third area now (got to a room that has a drop which I assume starts a boss fight. Had cleared the area so went back and leveled up then left it there. So far there are some things I hate. The amount of fights on thin ledges that kind of ruin the flow of the combat. Also those fucking bats. My problem is that this game feels like it wants to be like ninja gaiden but suddenly at times wants to be dark souls. I dont think they gel well. Either keep the fast pace of the combat throughout or keep the slow pace of caution. Obviously that is a personal preference.

I also find it anoying that so many things have one hit kills. You can be playing perfectly and suddenly one poor timed dodge or something and you are dead. Feels kinda like being extra tough for the sake of it. Cheap in a way. I am not one of these people that classes the souls games as crazy hard or anything. Just hard but fair. Pretty much everything in that game cant one hit kill you so you have a time in that fight to heal up and learn. Here it feels way more trial and error with how many things just one hit kill or one hit leads to stunning me and the second hit kills.

Gonna play the game a bit more but not sure I will stick with it. The combat system seems crazy indepth. Its not what I was expecting. Thats not a bad thing, just not the sort of thing I really tend to get into.

Oh and realising by looking online that high stance has barely any i-frames in its dodge (what I was using on that boss in the boat and why I was getting hit). I wish it would explain this stuff better in game.

xclk07

Can someone kindly give me an idiots breakdown on how best to use the blacksmith?

I'd be curious to hear others' experiences, but I hardly touched it during my initial playthrough, just disassembled and sold everything and bought books of reincarnation to ger prestige levels for the trophy. Now that I'm doing NG+ I'm actually paying attention and learning the systems

Baalzebup

I think I am at the boss of the third area now (got to a room that has a drop which I assume starts a boss fight. Had cleared the area so went back and leveled up then left it there. So far there are some things I hate. The amount of fights on thin ledges that kind of ruin the flow of the combat. Also those fucking bats. My problem is that this game feels like it wants to be like ninja gaiden but suddenly at times wants to be dark souls. I dont think they gel well. Either keep the fast pace of the combat throughout or keep the slow pace of caution. Obviously that is a personal preference.
Different levels and stages have vastly varying amount of environmental hazards. There aren't really all that many levels that many cliffs etc. The bats can be handled by basically being aware of their presence via the audio cue of generic bat sounds in their immediate vicinity and blocking when the swarm moves (if you don't feel comfortable dodging it instead.)

I also find it anoying that so many things have one hit kills. You can be playing perfectly and suddenly one poor timed dodge or something and you are dead. Feels kinda like being extra tough for the sake of it. Cheap in a way. I am not one of these people that classes the souls games as crazy hard or anything. Just hard but fair. Pretty much everything in that game cant one hit kill you so you have a time in that fight to heal up and learn. Here it feels way more trial and error with how many things just one hit kill or one hit leads to stunning me and the second hit kills.
If you feel like you're too vulnerable, stack on more/heavier armor and increase your life. You can tank yourself up quite a bit, though naturally that tends to come at the cost of mobility. As heavier armor gives both higher damage reduction %% values and higher defense, the effect can be rather dramatic. Higher toughness value will also reduce the amount of Ki you lose when blocking and going over 200 will basically make you ignore hit-stun from normal/light attacks. In regards to getting stunned via hits, do note that it is generally easier to get out of hit-chains via blocking than dodging.

On the subject of annoying stage hazards - the ones I couldn't stand were the pits in the pier? level. Between the darkness and submerged areas its hard to see where the floor ends and where the pits are. Managed to lose a tidy amount of amrita the other day due to that blunder! That'll teach me for running around though, I have much better luck taking things slowly in levels. Means one level lasts for bloody ages, but also makes it easier on a per encounter basis.

I'd be curious to hear others' experiences, but I hardly touched it during my initial playthrough, just disassembled and sold everything and bought books of reincarnation to ger prestige levels for the trophy. Now that I'm doing NG+ I'm actually paying attention and learning the systems

Well it took me a while to realise that you can level up weapons via the blacksmith. This seems really useful, can't believe it took me this long to notice the option!

On the bright side I've just managed to beat
White Tiger
. Actually was a quick boss fight, between the sloth talisman and living weapon I managed to basically beat him down before he got much of a chance to do anything! I actually found the optional boss right before him harder, but that's more thanks to the lock on system messing me around initially. Now moving onto the next area, any idea how far I am into the game?

Different levels and stages have vastly varying amount of environmental hazards. There aren't really all that many levels that many cliffs etc. The bats can be handled by basically being aware of their presence via the audio cue of generic bat sounds in their immediate vicinity and blocking when the swarm moves (if you don't feel comfortable dodging it instead.)

If you feel like you're too vulnerable, stack on more/heavier armor and increase your life. You can tank yourself up quite a bit, though naturally that tends to come at the cost of mobility. As heavier armor gives both higher damage reduction %% values and higher defense, the effect can be rather dramatic. Higher toughness value will also reduce the amount of Ki you lose when blocking and going over 200 will basically make you ignore hit-stun from normal/light attacks. In regards to getting stunned via hits, do note that it is generally easier to get out of hit-chains via blocking than dodging.

Dont get me wrong. Im not really saying i think the game is bad or anything. Infact I can tell is really good. Just that its not what I was expecting. Its the sort of game that 5+ years ago when I had more free time I would have loved but there is too much to this game for me to dive to deep. With bloodborne i can learn the weapon in a few mins then its about studying enemy move sets and beating them. In Nioh each weapon type as a huge move list and skill tree and the combat seems very in depth. So I am actually quite impressed but I just dont feel like I can really get into these sorts of games these days lol.

With the bats i get how you get around them. its more that they feel cheap because they are there for no reason other that to push you off a cliff if you arn't aware they are there. In a game that feels it should be faster paced that a souls game it feels wrong for the flow of the game to me.

I dont like stacking heavy armour either as I like mobility. Again its just another aspect where I feel I dont have the time to enjoy like I would 5 years ago.

I am still gonna play a bit more of it as it is fun. But as the mechanics get deeper I will no doubt just find I dont have the will to keep going. Its the sort of thing I would want to play for 3 hours at a time and I can barely do 1 and a half a few nights a week these days.

Baalzebup

Can someone kindly give me an idiots breakdown on how best to use the blacksmith? I'm almost done with the third area now and I still have barely touched this part of the game, just getting gear from revenants. Basically I have a sword I'm rather fond of perks wise, but I've just got a much better sword lvl wise. Is there a way I can transfer perks (most notably the regain life from grappling perk) from my old sword to the new sword? Or is that impossible?

I've written out quite a few posts about the smith in general (multiple posts on that particular page) , reforging (multiple posts on that particular page) and soul matching. They date back to the pre-dlc version of the game, so some things have changed a bit and there is a whole mess of new specials for all types of items, but the basics remain. There might be some overlap, but give 'em a read.

Edit: Some stuff in this post as well.

Well , you shouldn't die in one hit , unless you ignore defense entirely.
There are numerous solution to your problem , but the difference is between if you play a fast and agile character , and heavy character with lot of defense or a middle of the road kinda like build.

Even , i , as a fast and fragile character don't die in 1 hit . if you do , check your stance , the Low stance is to be fast , the middle stance should allow you to defend properly and the high one is for damage ( at the cost of your defense ). Your first task should be to find the right stance reguarding to your build and weapon. and you shouldn't die in 1 hit against bosses ( you would die in 2 :p )

Curufinwe

I haven't played the game since March, and I found it pretty tough. If I buy the DLCs and dive back in am I going to get destroyed?

Baalzebup

I haven't played the game since March, and I found it pretty tough. If I buy the DLCs and dive back in am I going to get destroyed?
Well, they certainly do up the ante quite a bit. The first story stage boss in the first DLC is pretty damn tough before you get a read on him. Nothing impossible, certainly, but tough.

I've been messing around with Blinding Shells and man, these things are really powerful in some situations.

I had put the game down for quite some time due to a move and so on and just now did Ishida Mitsunari. I was getting pissed at him spamming those 6x wind attack move he busts out in his charged phase and decided to toss a Blinding Shell at him. I actually felt bad that I beat him this way afterwards, shit lasted forever and he didn't land basically anything.

xclk07

I've written out quite a few posts about the smith in general (multiple posts on that particular page) , reforging (multiple posts on that particular page) and soul matching. They date back to the pre-dlc version of the game, so some things have changed a bit and there is a whole mess of new specials for all types of items, but the basics remain. There might be some overlap, but give 'em a read.

Thanks for this... super good stuff in these posts! I didn't realize that disassembling into materials for sale is outclassed by selling the actual items at some point!

You discuss pools of abilities and the only list I've seen is outdated by the new DLC (see here: http://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/reforge) Does anyone happen to have an updated list?

Finally, tangentially related, but since I can't confirm that the original smithing text exists outside of the Deluxe Edition: when Sanada was added to the game, they gave him a new armor set smithing text? The Scion of Virtue armor wasn't the same as the Sanada Crimson set? The latter can still only be obtained by the Deluxe Edition and that's it? :-(

Ah, thanks for those tips. That makes things nice and clear. That should hopefully help me get through the rest of the game. Managed to clear a few more missions this afternoon. Did the bonus mission where you fight the first real boss again except now he can kill you in 1 hit. Thankfully the various talismen I had helped me clear that one, gutted that I got all the way to the end then messed up on the final hit! Its a fairly straight forward fight, but my tendency to mess up didn't help things when I could only take 1 hit. The red oni dude however was far easier to beat in a 1 on 1 battle.

NKnight7

Neo Member
I've been messing around with spears and I love the new skills, one of them practically makes you a spinning machine of destruction. :p

Baalzebup

Finally, tangentially related, but since I can't confirm that the original smithing text exists outside of the Deluxe Edition: when Sanada was added to the game, they gave him a new armor set smithing text? The Scion of Virtue armor wasn't the same as the Sanada Crimson set? The latter can still only be obtained by the Deluxe Edition and that's it? :-(
Yeah, the Sanada Crimson set is technically a completely separate set of its own. It is also very atypical with relatively tame set bonuses and being very light and low defense for a supposed medium armor, but that goes with it being something you are basically expected to only wear for the initial Isle of Demons mission.

xclk07

Yeah, the Sanada Crimson set is technically a completely separate set of its own. It is also very atypical with relatively tame set bonuses and being very light and low defense for a supposed medium armor, but that goes with it being something you are basically expected to only wear for the initial Isle of Demons mission.

Boo. Sucks to hear that it's completely exclusive for one particular "version" of the game, but ah well. Thanks for the input!

Soar

Are they serious with the first DLC boss? He one shots me with half of his attacks.

The
centipede guy
? Just need to read his combos. What weapon are you using?

Are weapon drops supposed to be garbage in the DLC? Haven't gotten anything over 850 attack yet.

At those levels the upgrades are mostly from upgrading your divine weapon to +10. Find a good weapon, reforge the bonuses to what you want and upgrade it. I've been using the same knives for the past 30 hours and probably will stick to it for some time.

Just bought the game on PS4 pro and wasn't expecting much. This game feels like a much more complete, well thought out version of souls. And while many will disagree it's better than the souls series IMO.

brawly

The
centipede guy
? Just need to read his combos. What weapon are you using?

At those levels the upgrades are mostly from upgrading your divine weapon to +10. Find a good weapon, reforge the bonuses to what you want and upgrade it. I've been using the same knives for the past 30 hours and probably will stick to it for some time.

I actually got him after 50 tries or so. I was gonna day that I have no idea what a divine weapon is. Turns out I'm using one, lol.

tmp_5362-20171010_201y6qtk.jpg

Upgrade it how? Already did some reforging but this shit makes no sense to me at all.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just bought the game on PS4 pro and wasn't expecting much. This game feels like a much more complete, well thought out version of souls. And while many will disagree it's better than the souls series IMO.

Combat mechanics are better, but everything else is at least slightly inferior, if not greatly so.

Baalzebup

Upgrade it how? Already did some reforging but this shit makes no sense to me at all.
Talking to tome is pretty useful on quite a few occasions
Tome has the basic explanation for it once you unlock the divine items, you just need to talk to her and ask about the divine items. You Soul Match items using material with a +# value greater to, or equal to, the +# value of the item you want to upgrade, and then it will go up a single +#. You can never go up more than a single +# per Soul Match and using items with lower +# values as material gets you nothing in that regard.

Soar

I really don't like these DLC bosses at all. Spending 95% of the time dodging. Is there any good way to deplete their Ki?

Ah, gotta do that then.

Combo them after they have spent their Ki summoning their spirits. That's how I took down Date Muramasa.

brawly

Combo them after they have spent their Ki summoning their spirits. That's how I took down Date Muramasa.

Problem is that he goes down after the second hit, so all I can do is impale him.

He's not like the one before that who stood there when he was out of Ki.

I got real close, I'm doing it tomorrow.

I want to play the DLC, but I don't know about buying it until I see how the PC port turns out.

Made it almost to the end of the game purely using katana then got bored and started a kusarigama and ninjutsu character. Doesn't help that so many of the katana skills are counters, while the other weapons have flashy moves and skills. And I did the same thing with Bloodborne. To me, the weapons are just more compelling than the bosses.

glowing lava kinda messes with my sight when i fight bosses like in the abyss. can't see some attacks coming. it's like i'm fighting a stealthy version of a boss.

Top Bottom