• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh sells in 1 million (shipments + digital downloads) worldwide

MCD250

Seems like a good number. Congrats to Team Ninja, Koei Tecmo and Sony. It's always nice to hear of new, well-received games doing well.

Trace

Banned
Well done Team Ninja. One of the best games in years and I hope it becomes the start of a series :)

I have no idea what they were expecting but I'm guessing that's definitely higher than the usual Koei Tecmo sales.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope the sold through total is close to that. The shipped figure is good but i really wanna know how much it has really to sold WW

I don't think team ninja thought the game would sell well at all considering they undershipped severely based on preorder counts

I hope the sold through total is close to that. The shipped figure is good but i really wanna know how much it has really to sold WW

I don't think team ninja thought the game would sell well at all considering they undershipped severely based on preorder counts

The game had shortages so i think shipped should be close to sold.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
This sounds so surreal.
Especially if you compare the marketing push.
Marketing push , niche genre, No one could stop Nioh sales!
The mod Trump who change my label to
"I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount."
Please apologize, not for me ,for Nioh!

Elios83

Really great numbers for such a niche game also exclusive to a single platform.
I also expect it to have really good legs.
Capcom must really feel like a fool for letting Onimusha die...

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Remember BB is sold through and this is ship + plus sales.
Also BB sold through 1 million in 2 weeks if i remember right .
Still this is a great start for Nioh.

Nioh sold through should be very close to shipment because of shortages

Luminaire

Woo, keep the samurai oni death train rollin'.

I wonder if the game is still sold out on amazon for people...

6c049545f6594f849f95a3db0762b8ac.png

Yep.

TreIII

Team Ninja needed this as a means to show that they got their street cred back. Meanwhile, Koei Tecmo needed this as a means to diversify their catalog and even have another good, reliable brand that can sell well in the West.

So in more ways than one, this spells good things for all parties involved. And well deserved.

Somewhere in Japan, a Capcom exec is looking at this and dumbfounded and realized they should have released a new Onimusha...

With KT and Capcom always having a bit of pettiness between the two of them (even before the lawsuit), I can only imagine that KT, on the other hand, is all smiles...

Cleve

Digital should be higher than usual. I was forced to get it digitally because it was sold out on Amazon and Best Buy.

Same, I think it's sold out all over the place. I imagine their physical numbers would have been higher if it was actually in stock. Congrats to team ninja, the game is fucking awesome.

cordy

Banned
How did this game sell that much?

I'm glad that it did, it deserves it but how? I didn't hear much about it until a few months ago. Was it promoted and demoed heavily? This is great news.

Eria

I'm glad that it did, it deserves it but how? I didn't hear much about it until a few months ago. Was it promoted and demoed heavily? This is great news.

The game had 3 betas, word of mouth, good reviews...

cheesekao

It had three "demos" to collect user feedback and they actually took the criticisms to heart which pleased a lot of people. Then the reviews started dropping and interest further increased.

Ninjimbo

I would have never expected this game to sell a million copies. Absolutely incredible accomplishment and well deserved.

The multiple demo's the game did, worked wonders imo. Kept the game fresh in people's minds and also was able to get lots of feedback to iterate / improve for launch

Mezoly

There was an Alpha then a Beta then a Demo.

Welfare

Very good start for Nioh. Honestly thought it would be less given the stock issues but it having those issues while hitting 1M is fantastic for its potential. Wonder where this will end.

Baalzebup

3 time limited demos with the devs taking in, and working in, the player feedback from the Alpha and Beta demos with detailed surveys. They really put in the work for this one and it shows.

Crayon

I haven't followed too closely but I think at least part of it is that the game turned out very good. Team Ninja seemed to make a big effort to listen to feedback and most everyone seems really happy with it so far. Maybe there is some justice in this world.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Most people really got the hype train rolling when the reviews dropped, to say nothing of last chance demo pulling a lot of people in that were not on the radar.

I wonder if we get the celebratory DLC as well?

I wish that hayashi would speak directly to the western fans more. Its been years since NG3 and although DOAX3 was a shitshow controversy, we need someone on the japanese team communicating with the global fanbase about their views on the game and where they are planning to go next. I don't want to hear from no 'tom lee' or whatever his name is, who's just a PR manager

Top Bottom